PDA

View Full Version : Luckiest PC Alive (Build Help)

Scathain
2016-06-21, 11:18 AM
Hey y'all, another build question here.

After trolling through some threads here, I was made aware of the dice monster combo that is Halfling + Wild Magic Sorc1 + Divination Wizard2 + Lucky feat.

I'd like to build a solo character based around this idea, and the build name would be something along the lines of "The Luckiest Bastard Alive".

Question is: how would you optimize this?
Where would the progression go after the 3 levels above?
Which of the above classes should I begin play with / multiclass into?
Ghostwise, Lightfoot, or Stout?
Stat array? (Assuming point buy, I know I have some MAD to deal with)
Etc.

The above levels are not set in stone, but this is the combo I've seen a few times. The general vibe of this build is to screw with dice as much as possible, to give an in-game effect of being...the luckiest bastard alive.

Thanks in advance!

bovine
2016-06-21, 03:55 PM
One route you could take would be to go College of Lore Bard after your initial dips (though I'd maybe start with Bard for the Rapier and other weapon profs, additional tools, additional unrestricted skills, etc - more on this later). This would get you Cutting Words at Bard level 3 to further screw with the rolls, though it would put off your Lucky feat until CL 7 rather than CL 5 or 6 if you just stuck with the two classes.

As far as stats go, that has a lot to do with how you want to spend levels 4-20. I'm assuming Bard 17/Sorc 1/Wiz 2 for the level 9 slot, though Bard 16/Sorc 2/Wiz 2 is also an option for Font of Magic. (Edit: NM, forgot about multiclass spell slot calculation. You get to 20th level for spell slots anyway based on PHB 164-5 so I'd go 16/2/2). On to stats.

One array could be 8/14/14/13/10/16 w/ Lightfoot. This gets your main stat for Sorc/Bard up to snuff and allows for multiclassing into Wizard with respectable, though not outstanding, Dex/Con.

Another route would be to forego all of the advantages of a Bard start and start with Wizard, thus eliminating the need to put even a single point into int (since it doesn't have to be 13 to MC into). This could get you 8/16/14/8/12/16, again with Lightfoot, bolstering your Dex (at the cost of Rapier prof - among other things) and getting you a +1 rather than +0 for Wis saves/ability rolls.

Ignore all of this if you choose to forego Bard; it just seemed to fit in to your build with its Bardic Inspiration/Cutting Words.

Edit: No need to quote whole post when replying to OP.

Easy_Lee
2016-06-21, 04:00 PM
In my opinion, there are certain high level spells which ought to be a staple of such a build, as well. Foresight is a big one. Glibness makes it so you roll a 15 minimum on all charisma checks and makes your lies undetectable, seeming true no matter what. Spells and abilities which either tip the scales in your favor, or take away the need to roll altogether, ought to be prioritized.

smcmike
2016-06-21, 06:53 PM
Another route would be to forego all of the advantages of a Bard start and start with Wizard, thus eliminating the need to put even a single point into int (since it doesn't have to be 13 to MC into).

You still need the 13 INT to multiclass OUT of wizard.

p_johnston
2016-06-21, 07:20 PM
Flavor wise I feel you want to get to at least 6th level sorcerer for the Bend Luck Ability. At that point though you would need to go mostly sorcerer to get access to ninth level spells.

I will admit mechanically the bard is almost definitely better.

bovine
2016-06-22, 10:12 AM
You still need the 13 INT to multiclass OUT of wizard.

Ugh. How in the world did I miss that? Thanks for the catch, friend.

JeffreyGator
2016-06-22, 11:39 AM
(Edit: NM, forgot about multiclass spell slot calculation. You get to 20th level for spell slots anyway based on PHB 164-5 so I'd go 16/2/2).

You need level 17 in a class to cast the 9th level spells for that class. 20 levels of spellcaster but highest class level 16 means you have a level 9 slot but can only cast up to 8th level spells with it.

You don't get foresight with this build until level 20.

I love lore bards cutting words you would potentially want more Wild Magic since the option to reroll deleterious effects is crucial for someone 'lucky'. Also cutting words is generally about making the people around you very unlucky.

You might want guidance somehow as a spell.

Scathain
2016-06-22, 11:49 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys! I thought and talked it over with the DM, and I decided on going with bard (with some light refluffing). He's starting me out at level 8, which gives me a chance to pick up Lucky from the get-go.
While bard would probably be the superior start, for RP and stat reasons I'm starting with wizard.
Rn I'm at 8/16/14/10/10/16

The idea is that Tobias Took, an urchin with a heart of gold, realized he was lucky enough to have made it off the streets in one piece, that he devoted a few years to the study of luck and fortune (hence Diviner2). Through his study, he discovered an innate power inside him (Wild Magic Sorc1) that seemed to fuel his lucky streak, all the while picking up various magic tricks along the way. Now Toby is in full swing (Lore Bard5) unraveling the mysteries of why he is...the luckiest bastard alive.

My next question is, spells? Spells like Bane and Bestow Curse are going to be my bread and butter for this build, but I'd like to hear y'all's suggestions, I've also got Magical Secrets to look out for. Refluffing welcome.
Related, @JeffreyGator I know these spells are about unluck more than luck, but the idea of enemies fumbling around me, failing at every attempt to subdue me is EXACTLY what I'm going for.

Edit: oh and can someone please explain multiclass spell slots to me? Specifically how it'd work with this build?

RickAllison
2016-06-22, 12:10 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys! I thought and talked it over with the DM, and I decided on going with bard (with some light refluffing). He's starting me out at level 8, which gives me a chance to pick up Lucky from the get-go.
While bard would probably be the superior start, for RP and stat reasons I'm starting with wizard.
Rn I'm at 8/16/14/10/10/16

The idea is that Tobias Took, an urchin with a heart of gold, realized he was lucky enough to have made it off the streets in one piece, that he devoted a few years to the study of luck and fortune (hence Diviner2). Through his study, he discovered an innate power inside him (Wild Magic Sorc1) that seemed to fuel his lucky streak, all the while picking up various magic tricks along the way. Now Toby is in full swing (Lore Bard5) unraveling the mysteries of why he is...the luckiest bastard alive.

My next question is, spells? Spells like Bane and Bestow Curse are going to be my bread and butter for this build, but I'd like to hear y'all's suggestions, I've also got Magical Secrets to look out for. Refluffing welcome.
Related, @JeffreyGator I know these spells are about unluck more than luck, but the idea of enemies fumbling around me, failing at every attempt to subdue me is EXACTLY what I'm going for.

Edit: oh and can someone please explain multiclass spell slots to me? Specifically how it'd work with this build?

First of all, you have checked that your DM is okay with your breaking the rules by not having a 13 in Int to multi class out of Wizard?

Secondly, MC spell slots. Basically, you gain spell slots as if you were single-class (so since you are all full-caster classes, just take your character level in spell slots). However, you don't get spells of that level until you reach the appropriate level in a class. For example, at level 9 you will have 5th level slots. This is great for many spells (increased duration, more targets, etc.), but you won't get any 5th level spells until you get to Bard 9 at character level 12. You will get a 9th level slot at level 17, but you won't be able to use Foresight until level 20.

Scathain
2016-06-22, 01:11 PM
First of all, you have checked that your DM is okay with your breaking the rules by not having a 13 in Int to multi class out of Wizard?

Secondly, MC spell slots. Basically, you gain spell slots as if you were single-class (so since you are all full-caster classes, just take your character level in spell slots). However, you don't get spells of that level until you reach the appropriate level in a class. For example, at level 9 you will have 5th level slots. This is great for many spells (increased duration, more targets, etc.), but you won't get any 5th level spells until you get to Bard 9 at character level 12. You will get a 9th level slot at level 17, but you won't be able to use Foresight until level 20.

Wow my reading comprehension is just not with it today. Not that I don't believe you, but where does it say this exactly? Or is it assumed by the multiclass reqs in the PHB in AND out of the class?

Easy_Lee
2016-06-22, 01:19 PM
Wow my reading comprehension is just not with it today. Not that I don't believe you, but where does it say this exactly? Or is it assumed by the multiclass reqs in the PHB in AND out of the class?

From the PHB: "To qualify for a new class, you must meet the ability score prerequisites for both your current class and your new one, as shown in the Multiclassing Prerequisites table."

IMO, it's silly that one can choose a class without meeting those requirements, but then has to meet them to multiclass out.

Scathain
2016-06-22, 01:29 PM
From the PHB: "To qualify for a new class, you must meet the ability score prerequisites for both your current class and your new one, as shown in the Multiclassing Prerequisites table."

IMO, it's silly that one can choose a class without meeting those requirements, but then has to meet them to multiclass out.

Glad we agree on that. At any rate, new stats are 8/16/12/13/10/16. (I realize I didn't specify Lightfoot halfling, but I guess you guys picked that one up) And like I'm just going to end up taking spells without attacks or DC's on the wizard side. There are quite a few, especially at spell level 1. And though I'm limited in what I can prepare, that doesn't matter when half the spells I'm taking are rituals.

RickAllison
2016-06-22, 11:17 PM

In my mind, the waiving of the requisite to take the class is due to special working that the PC has done to bypass normal restrictions. A paladin with low charisma may have learned to tap into new wellsprings, but it is a very different thing to convert that into techniques with other classes.

Consider a programmer who has learned to create sequences of If-Then statements instead of case structures. He can get by with just that because that is how he learned, but it becomes a nightmare to combine that with other systems. Thus, his theoretical Programming ability score is below par for his class, and so the barrier from that prevents him from branching out into other classes.