PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Eldritch Knight Enigma

Fightmaster
2016-06-21, 11:42 AM
I'm currently playing a 4th level high elf eldritch knight. My stats are 17 Str, 17 Dex, 14 Con, 16 Int, 10 Wis and 10 Cha. I've got the tavern brawler (bonus first level feat for fluff) and war caster feat. This is a one on one campaign and I'm looking to multiclass but I'm not sure when or into what. I was thinking I could go blade dancer or arcane trickster. What would you guys recommend?

Easy_Lee
2016-06-21, 11:49 AM
What are you trying to do with the character?

Cybren
2016-06-21, 11:57 AM
in the abstract, without considering in game quirks like additional bonus feats or abilities like your free tavern brawler, house rules, and in-game events and roleplaying, you probably want 7th level for war magic if you multiclass, since your third fighter attack will be delayed/not reached. From there you can multiclass whatever you meet the reqs for but wizard is the obvious choice. Bladesinger and Abjurer have the most synergy with an EK, though the bladesingers extra attack won't stack with the fighters so it might lead you away from there. To be honest though, any wizard tradition, even the 'weaker' ones like illusion would be good, because you're still getting more, higher level spell slots and spells known.

Fightmaster
2016-06-21, 01:25 PM
Ideally I'm looking for increased spell slots and survivability. I had been interested in arcane trickster on the basis of having sneak attack and a couple more spells, but it looks like I'd gain all the things I'm looking for and more with bladesinger

Cybren
2016-06-21, 01:41 PM
I'd lobby pretty strongly for Abjurer, then. Arcane Ward is a very useful ability.

Specter
2016-06-21, 01:42 PM
For increased spell slots and survivability, there's only Abjurer/Bladesinger Wizard as options. INT is your only casting stat, and you lack the Charisma to go Paladin.

But it's not half bad: By going abjurer, you get loads of spells and the arcane ward which recharges with abjuration spells (like Shield and Absorb Elements, your staples). By going Bladesinger, you add INT to AC and some other goodies I can't recall. All of that with extra spells, spell slots and the whole thing. I'd recommend EK12/Wizard 8.

Fightmaster
2016-06-21, 06:47 PM
I'm liking the sound of that, but when do you think I should start taking wizard levels? I was thinking I should at least wait until after extra attack before I start

INDYSTAR188
2016-06-21, 07:25 PM
I'm liking the sound of that, but when do you think I should start taking wizard levels? I was thinking I should at least wait until after extra attack before I start

I believe conventional wisdom is to stay EK until lvl 7.

Specter
2016-06-21, 08:01 PM

That's a nice point. If you're looking for more melee prowess, go 7 for War Magic. If you're looking for more versatility, do it after 5. If Wizard is just the topping of the cake, wait until lvl10 for Eldritch Strike.