PDA

View Full Version : Jojo's Bizarre Adventure; Part I: We're Lacking Poses!

Pages : [1] 2

Yael
2016-06-21, 01:58 PM
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/jjba/images/1/18/Jojo's_bizarre_adventure_hi_res_japanese_logo.png/revision/latest?cb=20140405002201

I've noticed there is no Jojo thread! (although I may be wrong), and with it being such a fabulous series, it deserves it spot in the playground!

We can use this thread to meet another Jojo fans, and talk freely about the Anime, Manga, Games, and novels from the JJBA series.

Rules? Spoilers inside a spoiler tag, and let's try to not Read the Mango everyone we know, it gets annoying sometimes (I was one of them...)

Anyway, thoughts on Diamond is Unbreakable so far?I've always believed that Joseph could still be young, like Straitz was during Part II... Ah, well.Kira is coming...!!!!

LaZodiac
2016-06-21, 05:12 PM
I don't think my body is ready for more sad grandpa episodes. I love Joseph and sad grandpa is one of the genuinely most depressing things in this series and ALL OF MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS IN EVERY ****ING PART DIE.

I love Jojo though so I'm hype as hell.

Yael
2016-06-21, 06:11 PM
I don't think my body is ready for more sad grandpa episodes. I love Joseph and sad grandpa is one of the genuinely most depressing things in this series and ALL OF MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS IN EVERY ****ING PART DIE.

I love Jojo though so I'm hype as hell.

I get the feels, on every part there's someone I love that Araki is just like: ''Ah, you like this character's personality/development? Scratch!''.Jonathan from part I.
Caesar from part II.
Kakyoin from part III, have you seen the Eyes of Heaven campaign?! When he is revived, his first words are ''Mr Joestar, Jotaro! I've discovered DIO's stand ability!'' I was just like oh man... :smallfrown:
Shigechi from part IV; to be honest I didn't like that character that much, but his fate was an accident, abd even if I consider Kira to be a great villain, Shigechi didn't deserve that...
Narancia from part V, he was just going to redeem himself and enter school...
Weather Report from part VI... Damn you, Jolyne...!
Gyro, and Diego Brando from Part VII... Just isn't fair man...

Dragonus45
2016-06-22, 01:11 AM
It's funny you post this because I am right now in the middle of a JoJo Binge to catch back up with the series. I'm on a reread to start things off and now I'm just about half way into Stardust Crusaders.

Fri
2016-06-22, 11:32 AM
Diamond is Unbreakable? You mean Persona: The Animation?

Flickerdart
2016-06-22, 01:45 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/1adFhykWRPNEk/giphy.gif

As an anime-only guy I'm clearly not caught up enough, but I can discuss everything up to part 3!

Fri
2016-06-22, 02:26 PM
How about how undignified old joseph is :smallbiggrin:?

Come on, you saved the world once already. Act more like it.

Yael
2016-06-22, 02:36 PM
How about how undignified old joseph is :smallbiggrin:?

Come on, you saved the world once already. Act more like it.

You know, when your whole bloodline is fated to die young, and you hit 79 years old, you can get as undignified as you want :3

Also, Joseph is my favorite JoJo, he was so awesome during Part II.

LaZodiac
2016-06-25, 12:21 AM
New episode is out today! The saddest grandpa returns!

Everyone saw the Secret Character cameo in this episode? He's obscured by Rohan's manuscript!

(to explain, a bunch of characters that will be important show up in other episodes. They're scattered all over and it's actually pretty cool.)

Actung Baby has always looked like Lady Gaga to me and that's really silly.

Yael
2016-06-25, 01:37 PM
New episode is out today! The saddest grandpa returns!

Everyone saw the Secret Character cameo in this episode? He's obscured by Rohan's manuscript!

(to explain, a bunch of characters that will be important show up in other episodes. They're scattered all over and it's actually pretty cool.)

Actung Baby has always looked like Lady Gaga to me and that's really silly.

https://matthew903.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/jojo-yes-its-friday-part-4.jpg

During the episode of [The Lock], there's a reference to Steel Ball Run, I love Araki-sensei's love for the fandom.

Scowling Dragon
2016-06-25, 08:20 PM
Diamond is Unbreakable? You mean Persona: The Animation?

Jojo came first. :smallfurious:

Im just joshing.:smallwink:

Anyway the good show that I like. Jojo is love, Jojo is life.

Fri
2016-06-25, 11:04 PM
But yes, I've been joking a lot around my friends that Diamond is Unbreakable is basically a Persona anime. Jojos and Persona always have certain... similarity, but Diamond is Unbreakable is basically a persona game premise. Just look at the trailer!

LaZodiac
2016-06-26, 01:15 AM
But yes, I've been joking a lot around my friends that Diamond is Unbreakable is basically a Persona anime. Jojos and Persona always have certain... similarity, but Diamond is Unbreakable is basically a persona game premise. Just look at the trailer!

Yeah Part 4 is...such a clear inspiration for Persona 4 ESPECIALLY. Let's talk about muuuuurdeeeers.

But that's for later of course.

Also a friend of mine is watching Jojo blind for my amusement and his reaction to Tonio was fantastic. He had wanted other Stand users to be involved without being in what he calls "Murderer-con 1999" and Tonio is such a great example of "yo sometimes Stand Users will just show up."

Scowling Dragon
2016-06-26, 06:49 PM
I heard Diamond is unbreakable described as Japanese Ed Edd and Eddy.

LaZodiac
2016-06-27, 12:33 AM
I heard Diamond is unbreakable described as Japanese Ed Edd and Eddy.

This isn't wrong.

Diamond is Unbreakable is part murder mystery, part slice of life every day routine...in a world where Stand Users exist. Some days you fight a bizarre as hell guitar playing psycho with a lightning frieza coming out of his soul.

Sometimes you go to a mangaka's house and fool around.

Sometimes you have a dramatic confrontation with a brutal murderer who killed your grandpa.

Sometimes you and your real dad find an invisible baby and dress her up like Lady Gaga.

Yael
2016-07-01, 04:00 PM
It's kinda sad that not a lot of people is responding to a Jojo thread, but in other news...

IT'S FRIDAY!

LaZodiac
2016-07-01, 04:16 PM
It's a popular series but it's also kinda weird so that's fair.

But yes, Friday!

Rohan Kishibi is pretty fantastic. The way they did his creepy as hell Stand ability was perfect, as well as showing just how...exciting it is to him that other people have this kind of ability.

Fri
2016-07-02, 03:43 AM
On Rohan

He's just Araki's author avatar isn't he? The whole Jojo series is actually a true story Araki stole using Heaven's Door that he actually has in real life, isn't it?

Also, I made a Stand generator once. It's limited since I made it when I was in stardust crusaders though. I should update it to reflect the weirder stands in DiU.

http://orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=EWhgxDML

LaZodiac
2016-07-02, 08:03 AM
On Rohan

He's just Araki's author avatar isn't he? The whole Jojo series is actually a true story Araki stole using Heaven's Door that he actually has in real life, isn't it?

Also, I made a Stand generator once. It's limited since I made it when I was in stardust crusaders though. I should update it to reflect the weirder stands in DiU.

http://orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=EWhgxDML

Rohan is...SORT OF an author insert. He's developed enough as a character for it to not really count as one I think, and there are some differences between the two, but at the end of the day you're not entirely wrong. Whenever we get a bonus book/novel thing it's always from Rohan's perspective (and they're being turned into OVAs so that's cool).

Scowling Dragon
2016-07-02, 12:29 PM
Well Araki does come off as a person that's interested in reality. He seems to love the world and its locations.

I think his willingness to go outside the box is what really makes Jojo Bizzare.

As to having licked spiders? Maybe. :smalltongue:

Yael
2016-07-04, 05:26 PM
Well Araki does come off as a person that's interested in reality. He seems to love the world and its locations.

I think his willingness to go outside the box is what really makes Jojo Bizzare.

As to having licked spiders? Maybe. :smalltongue:

No lerolerolero at least. :smallbiggrin:https://31.media.tumblr.com/fbf5f54f7eb0c0967dbecfc28f490952/tumblr_n6eg98yt9B1qi0f9no2_r1_500.gif

Scowling Dragon
2016-07-08, 09:07 PM
Well, that new opening was terrible. Not bad, but after so many fantastic opening that's I don't expect of anime, a generic rock whilst everybody poses is just......:smallfrown:

LaZodiac
2016-07-09, 01:28 AM
Well, that new opening was terrible. Not bad, but after so many fantastic opening that's I don't expect of anime, a generic rock whilst everybody poses is just......:smallfrown:

As Jojo goes on you'll notice that each opening theme has the aesthetic of the era the manga part is from. I too miss the CG openings, but this one is still pretty good I think. Chase is a good song, and the hints of episode arcs to come in this one are just fantastic. As is that final scene with our mysterious murderfriend.

Also the scene where a hand crushes the Jojoheart into a skull that eats it is amazing and you're actually just wrong if you don't like that symbolism.

Fri
2016-07-09, 04:13 AM
Also, I think I read that amusingly araki is the one who chose savage garden for DiU ending, because it symbolizes the 90s or something in that line.

LaZodiac
2016-07-09, 09:50 AM
Also, I think I read that amusingly araki is the one who chose savage garden for DiU ending, because it symbolizes the 90s or something in that line.

Each ending theme is also really fitting. Roundabout was one of the songs that got Araki through that time period when drawing the series after all. It's also a great song that fits the feel.

Part 3 using WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN and that other song (I think it was Train to Nowhere) were also spot on. I Want You is basically on that same level of appropriateness.

Yael
2016-07-11, 06:02 PM
It feels odd, but as stated before, it should go with the era in which the part takes place. I think that if someday Steel Ball Run gets its animation, it should go with the cowboys theme.

Also, as every good Jojo Opening, the indirect spoilers are real :smallbiggrin:

Duke_Daisuke
2016-07-11, 09:39 PM
Steal ball run should use the Eagles!

Yael
2016-07-12, 10:25 AM
Vento Aureo with some the Godfather fashion :smallamused:

theMycon
2016-07-12, 01:01 PM
You know, when your whole bloodline is fated to die young, and you hit 79 years old, you can get as undignified as you want :3

Also, Joseph is my favorite JoJo, he was so awesome during Part II.

He's the best JoJo. Sure, he's pretty low-powered, but nothing has overcome the awesome of when he Crashed a plane into the ultimate lifeform to push said demigod into a volcano.

Also:
that other song was Last Train Home. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9vQ_y9JJ1E)

shadow_archmagi
2016-07-12, 06:18 PM
JOSEPH JOESTAR #1! Such cleverness.

Yael
2016-07-14, 09:51 AM
He's the best JoJo. Sure, he's pretty low-powered, but nothing has overcome the awesome of when he Crashed a plane into the ultimate lifeform to push said demigod into a volcano.

Also: was Last Train Home. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9vQ_y9JJ1E)

Yea, right, he also;Taunted said demigod into talking instead of dodging volcanic rocks (or his lost arm), leading to its doom, while it wasn't planned at all. But for the sake of the lulz. Ah, I just love Joseph.

JOSEPH JOESTAR #1! Such cleverness.

Joseph Joestar = Best JoJo!

LaZodiac
2016-07-14, 10:12 AM
Yea, right, he also;Taunted said demigod into talking instead of dodging volcanic rocks (or his lost arm), leading to its doom, while it wasn't planned at all. But for the sake of the lulz. Ah, I just love Joseph.

Joseph Joestar = Best JoJo!

Arguments over best PART will be waged for decades.

Arguments over best JOJO are "It's Joseph".

That's not to say the others aren't good (I love me some delinquint pompadorman who literally punches friendship into people by healing their emotional issues with his stand without realizing it) but Joseph is definitely a tier above everyone else.

Gastronomie
2016-07-14, 10:35 AM
Kishibe Rohan might be eccentric, but don't worry. People who met Araki Hirohiko in real life claim he wasn't as eccentric as Rohan. Of course, this is because Araki Hirohiko used Heaven's Door to manipulate the memories of the interviewers and made them believe he's a normal person.

LaZodiac
2016-07-14, 11:04 AM
Kishibe Rohan might be eccentric, but don't worry. People who met Araki Hirohiko in real life claim he wasn't as eccentric as Rohan. Of course, this is because Araki Hirohiko used Heaven's Door to manipulate the memories of the interviewers and made them believe he's a normal person.

You know speaking of eccentric there are two more chapters that are still upcoming that I cannot wait to see animated.

Everyone's favorite chapter besides Let's All Go For Italian, "What is up with this one guy!" where we meet Earth Wind and Fire's...stand user? And of course, the truly best chapter in all of part 4, Rohan Kishibe meets BOY II MEN.

Yael
2016-07-15, 09:18 AM
I really want to see Reimi animated, she was sort of my favorite character from part IV.

But Kira tho, Useless Jotaro V1.0 Sheer Heart Attack is an arc I really want to see animated.

gooddragon1
2016-07-15, 09:25 AM
Some important dio videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nct_vRTjlA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhuHIgLWUa0
And a practical alarm clock ringtone (as suggested by someone in the comments section):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSkeqYkd-ng

LaZodiac
2016-07-15, 01:15 PM
Finally, it's Friday. Let's go hunting.

This is an alright episode. Not the best and kind of sudden, but it's got some good moments and some actually pretty funny bits. "I don't really want to ask but...Josuke I've kinda been standing here waiting for you to heal me. Come on."

Next time on Jojo is Rohan's first solo episode. Hell yeah.

Fri
2016-07-22, 07:34 PM
In this episode of Shin Megami Jojo: Persona is Unbreakable, the player characters tripped an event flag and got the next main quest from an NPC!

Yael
2016-07-22, 09:32 PM
In this episode of Shin Megami Jojo: Persona is Unbreakable, the player characters tripped an event flag and got the next main quest from an NPC!

I love those references~ Still love Jojo more~ (It came out first tho...)
A 10/10 best ghost waifu appears!

Kishibe Rohan uses Heaven's Door!

It wasn't very effective...

LaZodiac
2016-07-23, 12:06 AM

Alternatively, "hey the plot actually started".

I kid.

Fri
2016-07-25, 08:12 AM
I updated my stand generator a bit.

http://orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=M9KWsKPc

Yael
2016-07-26, 01:10 PM
Alternatively, "hey the plot actually started".

I kid.

Kiddin' or na, plot's starting!http://sve.2chan.net/may/webm/src/1469204910995.jpg

Flickerdart
2016-07-28, 10:46 AM
I updated my stand generator a bit.

http://orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=M9KWsKPc

It might need more work. :smalltongue:

http://i.imgur.com/4ByA8H9.png

Fri
2016-07-28, 11:26 AM
It might need more work. :smalltongue:

http://i.imgur.com/4ByA8H9.png

about typical amount of sense with most canon stands :smallcool:

Amaril
2016-07-28, 12:14 PM
Hey all! So I've been thinking about diving into the JoJo anime (seen the first three episodes, I think, am still undecided), and I wanted to ask some stuff. From what I know about the series, it seems to be very action-oriented--as in, most of the fun comes from the battles, from seeing all the cool powers the characters have, and from seeing those powers interact with each other in unexpected and creative ways. I can understand the appeal of series like that, but honestly, it's not for me; I need a bit more character and/or thematic focus. And from what very little I've seen, none of the characters have really grabbed me (Dio is great at being evil, but that's kind of all he's got so far). The other things I hear a lot about are the general over-the-top fabulousness and pervasive homoeroticism, which sound great in theory, but either I haven't really gotten to that yet, or it's just not doing it for me in practice.

As fans, can you tell me, is my perception so far accurate? Or do I need to get further in to reach what makes the series good? I hope it's the latter, since I do want to like the show (though that may have a lot to do with wanting context for the OC Stand I already went ahead and made up for myself :smalltongue:).

LaZodiac
2016-07-28, 01:40 PM
The show does actually have some really good characterization and characters, it just takes awhile to build up. Part 1, aka Phantom Blood, is actually fairly weak. The best part of it is Dio and Baron Zeppeli. It really kind of starts as mostly a clone of Fist of the North Star but once it starts developing into it's own thing it gets WAY into it.

The most important part to realize for the future is that the high action fighting is usually the REWARD, most of the time. This series is full of puzzle fights where the brutal beat downs are what you get for solving the puzzle.

Truth be told the flamboyentness is limited to Part 2, Battle Tendancies, which is most of Season 1 (after Phantom Blood ends).

Fri
2016-07-28, 02:00 PM
As mentioned, Part 1 is boring since it's pretty much fist of the north star clone, and the author haven't got his groove yet.

Part 2 is really good. Might be my favourite main character of a battle series ever.

Also, of course what you'd heard from cultural osmosis would be the the series' and character's stereotype and memes, since well, that's what cultural osmosis is, so I'm not blaming you.

Honestly, if you're thinking that way, just jump to part 2, you'd only miss a bit of the backstory of the saga, but it's not actually that important, and if you think you'd like to know the backstory of the whole thing you could watch part 1.

Part 3 is honestly pretty boring again, or to be more proper, way too long. It don't need 2 cour, and honestly could cut lots of filler fights. Except the last few episodes, which is really good. Also MC is really bland.

Part 4 is fun again, with amusing main character (though still less amusing than part 2) and it's basically a persona game. Seriously, they even have town map music, that you'd really expect to hear when you travel in town map.

Just listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdahP278OSM

Flickerdart
2016-07-28, 02:05 PM
Honestly, if you're thinking that way, just jump to part 2, you'd only miss a bit of the backstory of the saga, but it's not actually that important, and if you think you'd like to know the backstory of the whole thing you could watch part 1.

Let's see, Part 1 gives us:

The Ripple/Hamon (which doesn't even matter that much in Season 2, and not at all in Season 3)
Dio's origins (which I think are covered in flashbacks every once in a while)
The origins of the Speedwagon Foundation (which plays a relatively minor role)
You were expecting a fourth point, but it was actually me, Dio!

LaZodiac
2016-07-28, 02:32 PM
Part 3 is honestly pretty boring again, or to be more proper, way too long. It don't need 2 cour, and honestly could cut lots of filler fights. Except the last few episodes, which is really good. Also MC is really bland.

Part 4 is fun again, with amusing main character (though still less amusing than part 2) and it's basically a persona game. Seriously, they even have town map music, that you'd really expect to hear when you travel in town map.

Just listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdahP278OSM

I'd call that subjective. I think Jotaro is quite a cool character, and while I do agree some of the filler fights could of been cut, it helps develop the world and the cast a little. It's an adventure series, lets have some fun adventures on our way to punch a vampire in the soul.

**** that music is fantastic aaaaagh I can't wait for Part 5 though it's music is going to likely have a kind of italian japanese rock flair to it and I cannot wait aaaaaaaaaaah.

Amaril
2016-07-28, 02:35 PM
Wait, so the Ripple isn't relevant in Battle Tendency? Then what do they use to fight the Pillar Men? :smallconfused:

Nah, don't tell me. Thanks, guys, you've been helpful. Because I'm stubborn about starting stories at the beginning, I'll suffer through Phantom Blood for the sake of Battle Tendency, and at least check out the rest (the Persona comparison is definitely a good sign, but then, I've always found Persona 4 pretty meh compared to 3).

LaZodiac
2016-07-28, 02:39 PM
Wait, so the Ripple isn't relevant in Battle Tendency? Then what do they use to fight the Pillar Men? :smallconfused:

Nah, don't tell me. Thanks, guys, you've been helpful. Because I'm stubborn about starting stories at the beginning, I'll suffer through Phantom Blood for the sake of Battle Tendency, and at least check out the rest (the Persona comparison is definitely a good sign, but then, I've always found Persona 4 pretty meh compared to 3).

Season 1 is Phantom Blood and Battle Tendancies. Season 2 and 3 are both Stardust Crusaders. Season 4 is going to be all of Diamond is Unbreakable. Sorry, we've been using the manga part names instead of dividing it into seasons.

Amaril
2016-07-28, 02:54 PM
Right, derp, I totally knew that :smalltongue:

Oh, hey, to actually talk about something from the show that I've seen...

Am I the only one who finds something weird about that whole sequence with Dio getting Erina to break up with JoJo? Like, the way it's written, it's clearly supposed to suggest rape, but they pull back on it. Were they not allowed to do it for real for rating reasons, even off-panel? Or am I actually just reading too much into it?

Fri
2016-07-28, 03:04 PM
Well at that time period, I guess a forced kiss is already quite a honor steal. Also, in lots of asian movie I watch as a kid (well, bollywood) from the 80s, they always use kiss as metaphor for sex. Really, like if a villain is supposedly a raping evil bastard, they'd have a scene where they'd forcibly kiss the main character's sister (and implied more, but it's always only shown they're forcibly kissing), and the main character's sister would commit suicide, and the main character would do a roaring rampage of revenge. It actually honestly affected my view on sex as a young kid (basically I thought kissing is the act of sex).

Amaril
2016-07-28, 03:11 PM
Well at that time period, I guess a forced kiss is already quite a honor steal. Also, in lots of asian movie I watch as a kid (well, bollywood) from the 80s, they always use kiss as metaphor for sex. Really, like if a villain is supposedly a raping evil bastard, they'd have a scene where they'd forcibly kiss the main character's sister (and implied more, but it's always only shown they're forcibly kissing), and the main character's sister would commit suicide, and the main character would do a roaring rampage of revenge. It actually honestly affected my view on sex as a young kid (basically I thought kissing is the act of sex).

Ah, well, if that used to be a common device, I guess it was probably invoked on purpose for that reason. Nothing I've ever heard about the period makes me think it's accurate to real history, anyway.

Flickerdart
2016-07-28, 03:35 PM
Season 1 is Phantom Blood and Battle Tendancies. Season 2 and 3 are both Stardust Crusaders. Season 4 is going to be all of Diamond is Unbreakable. Sorry, we've been using the manga part names instead of dividing it into seasons.

I was referring to Season 1 as Phantom Blood, Season 2 as Battle Tendency, as Season 3 as Stardust Crusaders.

A bunch of nonsense.

Yael
2016-07-28, 04:00 PM
Hey all! So I've been thinking about diving into the JoJo anime (seen the first three episodes, I think, am still undecided), and I wanted to ask some stuff. From what I know about the series, it seems to be very action-oriented--as in, most of the fun comes from the battles, from seeing all the cool powers the characters have, and from seeing those powers interact with each other in unexpected and creative ways. I can understand the appeal of series like that, but honestly, it's not for me; I need a bit more character and/or thematic focus. And from what very little I've seen, none of the characters have really grabbed me (Dio is great at being evil, but that's kind of all he's got so far). The other things I hear a lot about are the general over-the-top fabulousness and pervasive homoeroticism, which sound great in theory, but either I haven't really gotten to that yet, or it's just not doing it for me in practice.

As fans, can you tell me, is my perception so far accurate? Or do I need to get further in to reach what makes the series good? I hope it's the latter, since I do want to like the show (though that may have a lot to do with wanting context for the OC Stand I already went ahead and made up for myself :smalltongue:).
The true aura of JoJo's is that you start liking every character, even those who have no direct relevance towards the plot. Any character will become likable from part to part. Part I isn't that necesary for watching parts 2 onwards (as a good shonen, flashbacks and excess of speech covers the holes), and it is the less action-packed one of the bunch, but it sure gives a feeling of completioness when at further parts you get to know what and why things are happening (even by part 4, 5, and 6).

Jojo's have amazing fights, and as already posted, most of them are tactical battles that are more affected by strategy and usage of bizarre abilities than raw DBZ powers and who's the strongest.

Also, posing. :smallcool: Lots of posing. Fabulous posing. :smallwink:

You were expecting a fourth point, but it was actually me, Dio!
[/LIST]Do you remember how many memes have you posted in your life?
I actually laughed more than I should at this, I was really not expecting it.

This.
It doesn't need to be actual rape (or it needs to happen), the whole kiss thing was for stealing what Jonathan would have considered a kind of happiness, and somehow hurting Erina would directly affect Jonathan (as it happened). At any way, you're correct at the honor steal thingy, and that's probably why Araki drew a kiss and not a forced intrusion.

VariSami
2016-07-28, 04:53 PM
On the topic of Fri's Stand Generator... I feel dirty (see spoiler for details). However, the last sentence either ruins the innuendo or makes it so much worse. Still undecided.
Your Stand is called Lovers Rubber. Its power is that you are able to shoot kitty knight. It also is armored. The weakness is that it is dependent on your target's hearing.

Fri
2016-07-28, 10:30 PM
I'd call that subjective. I think Jotaro is quite a cool character

I'd easily concede that jotaro is a badass, might be the badest JoJo so far, or at least have the best ora ora and objection!music from all jojo. But also bland.

Talking about that, look at what I made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOc85PVfVBY

It should loop, though not perfectly, it need about half second or quarter second trim for that, but that's the best I could do with my limited tools at 2 AM.

Also I realized this is perfect for alarm tone, and in fact I'm using it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM

LaZodiac
2016-07-28, 10:39 PM
Right, derp, I totally knew that :smalltongue:

Oh, hey, to actually talk about something from the show that I've seen...

Am I the only one who finds something weird about that whole sequence with Dio getting Erina to break up with JoJo? Like, the way it's written, it's clearly supposed to suggest rape, but they pull back on it. Were they not allowed to do it for real for rating reasons, even off-panel? Or am I actually just reading too much into it?

I'd easily concede that jotaro is a badass, might be the badest JoJo so far, or at least have the best ora ora and objection!music from all jojo. But also bland.

Talking about that, look at what I made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOc85PVfVBY

It should loop, though not perfectly, it need about half second or quarter second trim for that, but that's the best I could do with my limited tools at 2 AM.

Also I realized this is perfect for alarm tone, and in fact I'm using it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM

I feel he's not THAT bland, he just is a really inwardly emotional guy. Remember, the Stand is a reflection of the soul. Star Platinum is always screaming.

Jotaro's just really calm on the outside because when all is said and done he's (in Stardust anyways) a teenager doing some pretty ****ed up **** and trying to keep things cool. Dude just wants to look at fish.

Fri
2016-07-28, 10:44 PM
And talking about JoJo Objection!Music, whose is your favourite? For reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqtJqKgemw4 Jonathan's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TOQgFRfdSw Joseph's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFjE5A4UAJI Jotaro's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRGrfurZaNQ Josuke's

I shown them to (small number) of friends, and most agree that Jotaro's really the best. My ranking are Jotaro-Josuke-Joseph, and Jonathan's position depends on my mood on how it's a more classic anime and different than the others'.

Dude just wants to look at fish.

Ha, this cracks me up. It also cracks me up that Jotaro's bling in DiU are dolphins.

LaZodiac
2016-07-28, 10:50 PM
And talking about JoJo Objection!Music, whose is your favourite? For reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqtJqKgemw4 Jonathan's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TOQgFRfdSw Joseph's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFjE5A4UAJI Jotaro's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRGrfurZaNQ Josuke's

I shown them to (small number) of friends, and most agree that Jotaro's really the best. My ranking are Jotaro-Josuke-Joseph, and Jonathan's position depends on my mood on how it's a more classic anime and different than the others'.

Ha, this cracks me up. It also cracks me up that Jotaro's bling in DiU are dolphins.

In order

1:All of them.

Also hey man, he's really serious about ocean biography. You octopus, there's only one reason you got caught. One simple reason. You really really pissed me off.

Yael
2016-07-29, 10:55 AM
I feel he's not THAT bland, he just is a really inwardly emotional guy. Remember, the Stand is a reflection of the soul. Star Platinum is always screaming.

Jotaro's just really calm on the outside because when all is said and done he's (in Stardust anyways) a teenager doing some pretty ****ed up **** and trying to keep things cool. Dude just wants to look at fish.

True. Jotaro's emotions can be seen exploding at the beginning and end of Stardust Crusaders, but he has to keep his cool.

Also hey man, he's really serious about ocean biography. You octopus, there's only one reason you got caught. One simple reason. You really really pissed me off.

Star Platinum: The World!
[Stops time]
Now that pesky clownfish won't touch the boat, yare yare daze.

LaZodiac
2016-07-29, 03:08 PM
Finally, Friday.

I love Josuke. I HAVE MY PRIDE...we need to ALL get filthy stinking rich! Sadly, the power of money corrupts even this small spike headed child.

Flickerdart
2016-07-29, 03:12 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/017/928/tumblr_nbfw2rhKKn1qhvucpo1_500.gif

Scowling Dragon
2016-07-29, 06:42 PM
Jojo so far has not dissapointed me ever.

Amaril
2016-07-29, 11:34 PM
Okay, so I just finished watching Phantom Blood, and...I actually loved it? Sure, it's not the most original or complex thing, but what it does, it does with style and tons of heart. I think my mistake before was making a judgment based on what I realize now was just the setup to the real action (the first four episodes). If it's all uphill from here, sign me the heck up.

I teared up at Jonathan's death. That was a hard episode to watch.

Scowling Dragon
2016-07-29, 11:39 PM
Every time a New Jojo Fan finds the show, an Angel saves a suicide victim who then becomes an award winning scientist.

Amaril
2016-07-29, 11:43 PM
Every time a New Jojo Fan finds the show, an Angel saves a suicide victim who then becomes an award winning scientist.

You're welcome :smallwink:

LaZodiac
2016-07-30, 12:57 AM
Jojo so far has not dissapointed me ever.

We may disagree on many things but I'm glad we can both appreciate at least one bit of art.

Okay, so I just finished watching Phantom Blood, and...I actually loved it? Sure, it's not the most original or complex thing, but what it does, it does with style and tons of heart. I think my mistake before was making a judgment based on what I realize now was just the setup to the real action (the first four episodes). If it's all uphill from here, sign me the heck up.

I teared up at Jonathan's death. That was a hard episode to watch.

Consider that Phantom Blood is universally considered the worst part, and yet it's still that good. This is what we call "learning about comparisions" and I love it.

Fri
2016-07-30, 05:58 AM
I read a comment in a discussion and found that silly enough that I have to link it to you guys.

The discussion was about "can jotaro beat ulitmate kars" and I'm not here to discuss whether he could or could not, I just found myself laughing in real life from this comment.

I love to imagine Kars coming back and being like "why am I being punhced by invisible things? ouch, it hurts, WTF is this I can't ****ing see this Stand thing but everybody has it, holy **** **** my life"

Flickerdart
2016-08-02, 10:57 AM
I read a comment in a discussion and found that silly enough that I have to link it to you guys.

The discussion was about "can jotaro beat ulitmate kars" and I'm not here to discuss whether he could or could not, I just found myself laughing in real life from this comment.

Wouldn't Kars be able to attack the stand user directly using super-speed and super-strength though? He could tank most stands, except for ones that have unique battlefield control abilities.

Fri
2016-08-02, 09:14 PM
Wouldn't Kars be able to attack the stand user directly using super-speed and super-strength though? He could tank most stands, except for ones that have unique battlefield control abilities.

True, and most stand user also won't be able to defeat him with his infinite regeneration, except for specific stands like... Vanilla Ice's or Okuyasu's who just straight up erase things from existence (maybe Rohan as well). I was just mostly linking that for the silly quote.

Flickerdart
2016-08-03, 10:52 AM
True, and most stand user also won't be able to defeat him with his infinite regeneration, except for specific stands like... Vanilla Ice's or Okuyasu's who just straight up erase things from existence (maybe Rohan as well). I was just mostly linking that for the silly quote.

Yeah, soul-stealing stands like Osiris or Atum may or may not work on vampires, and body control stands like Hierophant Green, Justice, or Anubis should work well. Sethan probably wouldn't work well, since Kars is hella old.

Tohth could defeat Kars in some convoluted way, but it doesn't seem to have the ability to actually cause anything to happen, so if Kars dying is not in the cards, then...

Yael
2016-08-03, 12:28 PM
Gold Experience Requiem... Just, Gold Experience Requiem. Also, probably Purple Haze could kill him, Pillar Men are a supervampire species, but virus are somewhat different, who knows.

Jumping Jack Flash, the Green Baby, and Made in Heaven, those are extremely overpowered. Jailhouse Rock would be funny tho.

"I, Kars can transform into a bird! Or an ape, or a bird! Or... a bird!"

You can always Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap him, also Civil War could have a big impact because of his sins against the other Pillar Men.

Aaaaand, probably Soft and Wet could steal his goodhood, maybe?

Yael
2016-08-05, 03:03 PM
Did this last week, but it's fraaaayday~
https://s32.postimg.org/ugmtf22d1/output_87_C10_F.gif

ryuplaneswalker
2016-08-06, 12:19 AM
Catching up on episodes I have missed cause i am lazy.

HE LICKED A SPIDER. WHY DID HE LICK A SPIDER

EWWWWWWWW

-dies-

Fri
2016-08-06, 12:31 AM
You just knew araki had licked a spider.

Today's episode: Two delinquents bullying a fat kid for lunch money.

LaZodiac
2016-08-06, 12:47 AM
You just knew araki had licked a spider.

Today's episode: Two delinquents bullying a fat kid for lunch money.

Lunch money. Yes that's what I'd call it.

God I love Jojo. The first half of this episode is just SOME NORMAL ASS DUDE trying to be super intimidating...and succeeding.

Yael
2016-08-08, 11:16 AM
Sad thing is that Cinderella is placed before Kira, but that's fine I guess. I feel that in the manga this arc was just skipped. Probably Araki hated Shigekyo as much as everyone else? :smallconfused:

Flickerdart
2016-08-08, 11:21 AM
Lunch money. Yes that's what I'd call it.

God I love Jojo. The first half of this episode is just SOME NORMAL ASS DUDE trying to be super intimidating...and succeeding.

How normal is he, really? He literally smelled that something was afoot.

But yes, any kind of special skill or experience he might have as a banker pales in comparison to the stuff JoJo puts out on a regular basis. I think that scene is more of a testament to the kids being unable to keep cool under pressure. In their place, Jotaro or Joseph would have done something with their Stands right away, before the call.

LaZodiac
2016-08-08, 01:41 PM
Sad thing is that Cinderella is placed before Kira, but that's fine I guess. I feel that in the manga this arc was just skipped. Probably Araki hated Shigekyo as much as everyone else? :smallconfused:

I'm actually pretty okay with moving around some of the events to make it feel like it has better pacing. A lot of Pat 4 is really episodic anyway.

Not sure what you mean by arc skipping. Harvest was in the original he just kind of...immediately dies after his arc because Kirakirakirakira.

How normal is he, really? He literally smelled that something was afoot.

But yes, any kind of special skill or experience he might have as a banker pales in comparison to the stuff JoJo puts out on a regular basis. I think that scene is more of a testament to the kids being unable to keep cool under pressure. In their place, Jotaro or Joseph would have done something with their Stands right away, before the call.

True. I just like how it sort of sells this world. Even normal people, all be it experianced people who can smell a con when they see it, are intense as hell.

Yael
2016-08-08, 04:34 PM
I'm actually pretty okay with moving around some of the events to make it feel like it has better pacing. A lot of Pat 4 is really episodic anyway.

Not sure what you mean by arc skipping. Harvest was in the original he just kind of...immediately dies after his arc because Kirakirakirakira.

Well, yes. Shigechi just dies straight after his 's Harvest, and that felt kinda boring, straight up killing a character after meeting him. And he didn't even deserve that, it was just an accident, a dog's fault.

Fri
2016-08-13, 10:23 AM
On this week's episode.

It's not the best episode ever but.

The scene where rohan came out of nowhere and drags koichi to the mall?

I died. That scene killed me. I'm a ghost now.

Why is DiU so silly-great.

Gastronomie
2016-08-13, 10:37 AM
Shigechi was killed because if he stayed alive, finding out who the murderer is (Kira) is really, and I mean really, easy.

One way to use Harvest is to be constantly on alert everywhere within the city. Whenever something seems fishy, the Harvests report it to Shigechi, allowing him to watch over the entire town. Of course, if Kira happens to be playing with his "girlfriend" anywhere, Shigechi will know, and so will the other main cast characters.

Even in face-to-face combat, Shigechi is superior to Kira. If Shigechi stays back and doesn't come within range of the bomb attacks, he can just use his alcohol method to poison Kira to death. By all means, he had to die, because otherwise the plot would have ended right there.

Also, someone in the main cast had to become a victim of Kira as a "sacrifice", in order to emphasize how he's gonna do anything to conceal his identity, as well as give the other characters a stronger motivation to pursue him.

But really, the truth is that Araki has a pretty bad and infamous habit of creating super-powerful characters on the protagonists' side, failing to balance him out, and killing him/making him depart the main cast because he doesn't know how to handle the character correctly. Abdul from Part 3 is one example. So is Fugo from Part 5. And Shigechi is the example from Part 4.

Jotaro, in the final fight against father Putti.

LaZodiac
2016-08-13, 10:58 AM
Why is DiU so silly-great.

Because Diamond is Unbreakable is what happens when you mix Fist of the North Star with Lucky Star. Like the first theme song for the series says "This is Jojo's every day life. A crazy noise bizarre town".

Yael
2016-08-16, 10:25 PM
Because Diamond is Unbreakable is what happens when you mix Fist of the North Star with Lucky Star. Like the first theme song for the series says "This is Jojo's every day life. A crazy noise bizarre town".

True but the opposite.

Lucky Star is a reference-heavy anime.

JJBAIV:DiU is a reference-heavy anime.

If you know what I mean~

LaZodiac
2016-08-16, 10:41 PM
True but the opposite.

Lucky Star is a reference-heavy anime.

JJBAIV:DiU is a reference-heavy anime.

If you know what I mean~

Kukuku, you are already drunk.

Also this week's episode. It's finally here. IT'S FINALLY HERE.

Yoshikage Kira Just Wants A Quiet Life.

Gastronomie
2016-08-17, 02:05 AM
Kouichi can be the main protagonist.

Really, I mean, how protagonistic was that? Anyone will fall in love with him, really, with his awesome golden spirit. And like, protagonistic isn't even a word. That aside, I cannot wait for the next episode.

LaZodiac
2016-08-17, 02:11 AM
Kouichi can be the main protagonist.

Really, I mean, how protagonistic was that? Anyone will fall in love with him, really, with his awesome golden spirit. And like, protagonistic isn't even a word. That aside, I cannot wait for the next episode.

If antagonistic is a word protagonistic can be one as well. And yeah, Koichi is low key the actual main lead of Diamond is Unbreakable. Kinda like how a good deal of Stardust was also Polnareff's story. It's basically just a good example of how Araki can, if he wants, really put focus on the characters if he wants.

And yes oh god yes, I cannot wait for the next episode. My friend who's going into this all blind has no idea what he's expecting and is both scared and excited.

Yael
2016-08-17, 08:33 PM
If antagonistic is a word protagonistic can be one as well. And yeah, Koichi is low key the actual main lead of Diamond is Unbreakable. Kinda like how a good deal of Stardust was also Polnareff's story. It's basically just a good example of how Araki can, if he wants, really put focus on the characters if he wants.

And yes oh god yes, I cannot wait for the next episode. My friend who's going into this all blind has no idea what he's expecting and is both scared and excited.

That's the sole reason we Jojofans must enslave more souls invite more people to watch Jojo's.

alkatrazjr
2016-08-18, 05:34 PM
I'm assuming the next episode is going to be a two-parter, but I really hope
we see the killer queen reveal before the end

LaZodiac
2016-08-19, 01:20 PM
It's here!

I like how they kinda succeeded in making Kira look like a hero here, ignoring his speech at the end (which is the shift back to reality) and his whole "girlfriend is a hand" thing.

Yael
2016-08-19, 10:08 PM
It's here!

I like how they kinda succeeded in making Kira look like a hero here, ignoring his speech at the end (which is the shift back to reality) and his whole "girlfriend is a hand" thing.

But the sad thing is that another studio animated this episode, making Killer Queen look weird. Other than that, the so-waited Yoshikage Kira is here!

Fri
2016-08-19, 10:14 PM
Holy ****in **** this episode.

This episode's tone is definitely not possible in any other series other than JoJo, no seriously.

Joseph is the best JoJo, but DiU is on another level entirely compared to the other arcs.

LaZodiac
2016-08-20, 12:12 AM
But the sad thing is that another studio animated this episode, making Killer Queen look weird. Other than that, the so-waited Yoshikage Kira is here!

I honestly couldn't tell David Productions didn't do it. I think it's worth it so we could get a really good, intense, serious Kira. Next episode will maybe show us a better Killer Queen. Also, for what it's worth, Killer Queen looked a little weird when it first showed up in the manga as well, and it later became the more beloved cat bomb super monster we know and love. Which makes me think they'll go with Giorno's ****ed up hair before fixing it...but they might not we'll see.

My point I'm technically trying to make here is that despite Killer Queen maybe looking a little weird it still comes off as AMAZING.

Holy ****in **** this episode.

This episode's tone is definitely not possible in any other series other than JoJo, no seriously.

Joseph is the best JoJo, but DiU is on another level entirely compared to the other arcs.

I can't actually think of any other series that has has "the protagonist of this episode is the main villain" and made it work this well.

And like you said, the tone is unbelievable. Yoshikage Kira just wants a quiet life, and to better ensure Shigechi understands this he explains a typically average day to him. And it's weird as hell but actually really threatening, and I love it.

I've always been partial to Vento Aureo myself, but I think, having now seen a lot of Diamond without the Duwang translations, I can say it's my favorite part. Good god.

Fri
2016-08-20, 01:30 AM
On tone.

I'm talking about the absurdity of it. The absurd combination of slice of life of the episode's protagonist (which is the series' villain, an unrepentant serial murderer), the off-putting creepiness of it (which is about the episode's protagonist having a date with a ****in rotting hand), the silliness of comedy-of-error (seriously, the whole episode is a classic comedy-of-error episode when everything goes wrong and right at the same time about a guy trying to discreetly steal back something accidentally mixed-up and the other party musn't know about it), the intensity of it (he's ****in trying to cover up a murder for god sake), and the confusion whether you want it to success or not, for both his sake (he's the episode's pov character) and the actual series' protagonist sake (because if they find out about it the serial murderer would hack them to bits). Also, it's all taken seriously! It's not a gag comedy or cartoon series!

Is this horror? Is this comedy? It's so absurd, yet work. And it can't work in any other series than this. Also this only work because the absurdity had been built up for the whole season! It won't work if this is half season earlier!

LaZodiac
2016-08-20, 03:36 AM
On tone.

I'm talking about the absurdity of it. The absurd combination of slice of life of the episode's protagonist (which is the series' villain, an unrepentant serial murderer), the off-putting creepiness of it (which is about the episode's protagonist having a date with a ****in rotting hand), the silliness of comedy-of-error (seriously, the whole episode is a classic comedy-of-error episode when everything goes wrong and right at the same time about a guy trying to discreetly steal back something accidentally mixed-up and the other party musn't know about it), the intensity of it (he's ****in trying to cover up a murder for god sake), and the confusion whether you want it to success or not, for both his sake (he's the episode's pov character) and the actual series' protagonist sake (because if they find out about it the serial murderer would hack them to bits). Also, it's all taken seriously! It's not a gag comedy or cartoon series!

Is this horror? Is this comedy? It's so absurd, yet work. And it can't work in any other series than this. Also this only work because the absurdity had been built up for the whole season! It won't work if this is half season earlier!

Really, a post like this encapsulates all that I find good about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. No matter what happens everyone will take it as serious as possible, regardless of how goofy things are. This is an episode where a 33 year old man hides from teenagers by sneaking underneath a vaulting horse, because one of them took his bag by mistake. Really I think that's one of the most important factors of this, Kira's 33. He's kind of an old dude so it's like, YOUR DAD, is doing this. That's a hilarious thought to me.

Also making us completely understand his motivation, and even kinda want him to succeed. Both because...lets be fair, as the POV character and the information given about how he just...really wants a nice relaxing life, we can relate to him quite a bit. But also because HE IS A VERY DANGEROUS MURDERER and he will probably kill these teenagers who are our actual heroes if he gets found out so hey maybe lets root for him so that DOESN'T happen.

Thinking on it, I think every Jojo series builds up to one ridiculous, insane moment or two. For Phantom Blood it was...well, Dio's head ****ING KILLING JOJO. Who would...EVER see that coming? And yet the series built up to it so well, established just how intense Dio is, and made it work so well.

Battle Tendancies had...****ing literally every second of the series after Cars uses the Red Stone of Asia. Between squirrel hand, pirahana's and octopus attacking the airplane, to Joseph's bull****ting that he "planned this all from the beginning", it's all the final capstone of the season.

I'm to tired to think of what Stardust Crusaders had but I'm sure omeone will sthing of something. Ayway, Diamond is Unbreakable's is clearly this episode, but also some other stuff that'll happen soon. Looking at the chapter titles, far sooner than I thought assuming it follows chapter order. God I cannot wait for BoyzIIMen. No one spoil what this does.

ryuplaneswalker
2016-08-23, 11:59 PM
Kira is freaking revolting!

He Licked Dressing of a Dead hand..THAT IS NOT SANITARY! and he defiled a sandwhich with it..the person who eats that is probably gonna get sick.

LaZodiac
2016-08-24, 12:11 AM
Kira is freaking revolting!

He Licked Dressing of a Dead hand..THAT IS NOT SANITARY! and he defiled a sandwhich with it..the person who eats that is probably gonna get sick.

Reminder that in Reicho's story, he's the person who licked her hand when she put her hand down to feel safe due to her dog. Dude's just really ****ing creepy all the time forever.

Fri
2016-08-24, 12:24 AM
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/posts/6678759/

Amazing.

Btw, what he didn't mention is that Jonathan is also a True Christian Knight. It's a triggered modifier that triggers when you have 4 virtues, brave, and no vice. It has no effect in combat (other than how the individual virtues give bonuses, for example patience give you bonus in defense), but it makes everyone loves you. Which is exactly how he befriended Speedwagon :smallbiggrin:

Also, ambition actually boosts nearly all of your stats, but it's horrible to pop on someone that can scheme against you (character in your faction that you don't personally control), for obvious reason.

Flickerdart
2016-08-24, 09:46 AM
Also, ambition actually boosts nearly all of your stats, but it's horrible to pop on someone that can scheme against you (character in your faction that you don't personally control), for obvious reason.
Ambitious isn't so bad if it's on a weak NPC (Baron for Dukes, or Count for Kings/Emperors), especially one that's not a direct vassal (IIRC that means he can't plot against you, only against his direct liege).

Given the silly events in the game, is it possible to become an "actual" vampire, or is Impaler as far as that goes?

NecroDancer
2016-08-24, 04:45 PM
I wish they called Kira's stand Killing Queen or Killa Queen, Deadly Queen just dosnt feel right.

Gastronomie
2016-08-24, 06:56 PM
I wish they called Kira's stand Killing Queen or Killa Queen, Deadly Queen just dosnt feel right.It's sorta interesting how Jojo in other countries seem to worry about copyright issues when in the original Japanese manga they don't. They're basically screaming the names of famous songs all over the place.

And if it's because they're not "made-up words", but just "English words linked together", pretty sure it's fine in English as well... dunno, I don't know much about copyright issues.

The Kira episode was pretty awesome, but I wish they could have made Killer Queen look better. It honestly looked a bit weird at the end. I wish they made it more similar to the original manga (http://blog-imgs-58.fc2.com/x/3/3/x333/201307062312143f9.jpg). And I sorta hope they get this cut in the next episode.

LaZodiac
2016-08-25, 12:03 AM
It's sorta interesting how Jojo in other countries seem to worry about copyright issues when in the original Japanese manga they don't. They're basically screaming the names of famous songs all over the place.

And if it's because they're not "made-up words", but just "English words linked together", pretty sure it's fine in English as well... dunno, I don't know much about copyright issues.

The Kira episode was pretty awesome, but I wish they could have made Killer Queen look better. It honestly looked a bit weird at the end. I wish they made it more similar to the original manga (http://blog-imgs-58.fc2.com/x/3/3/x333/201307062312143f9.jpg). And I sorta hope they get this cut in the next episode.

Yo so English copy right law is actually just stupid. It's stupid as hell. The good news is Araki signs off on all the copyright safe names. It's just a thing we have to deal with, sadly.

We're 100% getting that cut in. Queen just looks rougher because they're saving the budget for bigger moments, which is fair.

LaZodiac
2016-08-26, 03:24 PM
And it's here.

Cause she's a
KILLER
QUEEEEEN
DYNAMITE WITH A LASER BEAM
GUARANTEED TO BLOW YOUR MIND
ANYTIIIIME!

Flickerdart
2016-08-28, 10:33 AM
There's an interesting contrast between strategic-level stands like Harvest and tactical-level stands like Star Platinum. The latter usually belong to heroes, who use them reactively. The former all belong to secondary characters like Shigechi, and if they were used with 100% CharOp power, they would be unstoppable. It's always a character flaw on the user's part that causes their downfall - if Shigechi had the nerve to attack first, then he would have won easily, since his stand is even more powerful than Bad Company. Similarly, Keicho would have survived if he had let Okuyasu die, instead of sacrificing himself.

Killer Queen has an interesting combination of both - the bombs he leaves can turn up anywhere (and indeed, ye olde CharOp would go around town making everything into a bomb). However, I have a feeling that the serial killer tendencies will be his downfall in the end.

LaZodiac
2016-08-28, 11:18 AM
There's an interesting contrast between strategic-level stands like Harvest and tactical-level stands like Star Platinum. The latter usually belong to heroes, who use them reactively. The former all belong to secondary characters like Shigechi, and if they were used with 100% CharOp power, they would be unstoppable. It's always a character flaw on the user's part that causes their downfall - if Shigechi had the nerve to attack first, then he would have won easily, since his stand is even more powerful than Bad Company. Similarly, Keicho would have survived if he had let Okuyasu die, instead of sacrificing himself.

Killer Queen has an interesting combination of both - the bombs he leaves can turn up anywhere (and indeed, ye olde CharOp would go around town making everything into a bomb). However, I have a feeling that the serial killer tendencies will be his downfall in the end.

Well, remember that he has to actually detonate Bomb #1 manually. He can set his bombs everywhere but until he does the little click motion they won't explode. There's also likely a limit on the bomb "amount" and "strength" he can put. Too many bombs, not that strong. Most Stands are a little balanced in that sense.

Gastronomie
2016-08-28, 11:27 AM
Well, remember that he has to actually detonate Bomb #1 manually. He can set his bombs everywhere but until he does the little click motion they won't explode. There's also likely a limit on the bomb "amount" and "strength" he can put. Too many bombs, not that strong. Most Stands are a little balanced in that sense.Killer Queen is one of the strongest stands when it comes to sheer combat, but it certainly has its weak points. ...Not really "weak points", more like, sort of this "balancing stuff out" thing. It's not a Stand with the rediculous sort of sheer power (like The World) - it's more about tactics and how you can never see the stuff coming. I mean, you can't even touch a doorknob without it being possibly fatal.

They'll get to the "balancing out stuff" in a moment.

Flickerdart
2016-08-28, 11:30 AM
Well, remember that he has to actually detonate Bomb #1 manually. He can set his bombs everywhere but until he does the little click motion they won't explode. There's also likely a limit on the bomb "amount" and "strength" he can put. Too many bombs, not that strong. Most Stands are a little balanced in that sense.

Sure. The idea is that if Killer Queen ends up fighting someone, the battlefield is already prepped. As for time limit - they haven't said anything about that yet, and the doorknob hit Shigechi harder despite having been a bomb for longer.

Amaril
2016-08-28, 07:41 PM
BATTLE TENDENCY IS SO GOOOOOOOD!

*Ahem* :smallredface:

So, yeah, just getting back in after being away from my computer for a while. Sitting down to episode 16 now. You guys weren't kidding when you said part 2 was where it really hit its stride.

Forgive me if someone's already brought this up, but am I the only one who really wants to play an RPG campaign in the JoJo world? I mean, it would support it pretty well. You've got a pretty impressive variety of possible adventure concepts, an established multiverse that allows you to do whatever you want without worrying about canon, and even a loose stat system already in place.

Gastronomie
2016-08-28, 09:05 PM
I think it'd be pretty easy to adapt some TRPG modules for the rules of a Jojo setting, the main question being "how to capture the feel of the original manga". It would require every player character constantly making bizzare noises and taking weird poses.

Naming characters and Stands shouldn't be a problem, since you can just choose the name of your favorite song or artist for it, but thinking up abilities that can adapt to various situations and stuff will be difficult. And it's also gonna be taxing for the Game Master, depending on how the scenario moves on.

Amaril
2016-08-28, 09:28 PM
I think it'd be pretty easy to adapt some TRPG modules for the rules of a Jojo setting, the main question being "how to capture the feel of the original manga". It would require every player character constantly making bizzare noises and taking weird poses.

Well, to be fair, only fans of the series would play the game, and they'd all do that anyway :smalltongue:

Naming characters and Stands shouldn't be a problem, since you can just choose the name of your favorite song or artist for it, but thinking up abilities that can adapt to various situations and stuff will be difficult. And it's also gonna be taxing for the Game Master, depending on how the scenario moves on.

I do see what you mean. To me, the real defining characteristic of JoJo battles is how tactical they are. One person attempts some cunning gambit, then their opponent reveals the counter-move they've set up to deal with it, then the first attacker reveals that they'd anticipated that counter all along and it plays right into their hands, and so on. Obviously, this works best in a non-interactive medium, because all that stuff can just be set up in advance. It would be harder to do in a game, but I think it's possible.

One way I might do it is something like FATE's aspect system, where characteristics of the battlefield and the combatants are represented with descriptive phrases that can be invoked to grant bonuses or inflict penalties. Maybe before a fight, the GM would assign the battlefield a trait, like "the house is burning down" or "you're chained together through the ceiling", and then let each combatant declare a limited number of other factors, like "my cloak conducts hamon" or "I've rigged the supports with explosives". Then, taking turns, each combatant would explain their strategy or counter-strategy, and at the end of the exchange, a roll would be made to determine who wins out. It's not a fully developed concept, but I think it's something that could work in some form. Any ideas?

Fri
2016-08-28, 09:31 PM
Forgive me if someone's already brought this up, but am I the only one who really wants to play an RPG campaign in the JoJo world? I mean, it would support it pretty well. You've got a pretty impressive variety of possible adventure concepts, an established multiverse that allows you to do whatever you want without worrying about canon, and even a loose stat system already in place.

Of course not :smallamused:

Also, I think MnM would work well for stand. It won't work that well for part 1 and 2 in my opinion, because of the more limited things hamon can do, and using MnM would be too much. You know what'd work well?

Refluffed Legends of the Wulin. It even has "ripples" as its mechanic :smallcool:

Just ignore all the fluffs, and make all stances and power independent of factions, and there, you have hamon and vampires and pillar men.

In fact, one class is specifically Joseph. I made a Joseph expy in a game once.

The class is called Scholar. It's weaker than Warriors in brute strength obviously (and Joseph is specifically not that powerful as hamon user), but it has a special ability.... Prediction :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Now you mention it, using Fate for that sounds good. But for crunchier, more mechanistic game, I still say that MnM work well for Stands, and LotW work well for Hamon.

Amaril
2016-08-28, 09:43 PM
I have considered M&M, and mechanically I think it could be made to work for Stands (though I have my doubts, since there are some Stands I've heard about with really out-there powers), but I still don't think it would be great for emulating the feel of a JoJo battle, all the bluffing and move and counter-move. Nor was my suggestion to use FATE entirely--I was just mentioning it as an inspirational basis for what would probably, if I were to do it, end up being an even more rules-lite, almost completely freeform game.

Anyway, if I were to play a JoJo game, I'd definitely want it to focus on Stands rather than hamon. It seems like a much better fit for a game, and allows more definition of unique characters, since every Stand is different, while hamon generally allows the same general stable of techniques with a few exceptions. Plus, Stands are much more iconic to the series at this point.

Fri
2016-08-28, 10:18 PM
Yeah, the reason why I thought LotW would make a good mechanic for hamon-based game, is because every class there are chi-enhanced martial artists, who can buy the same stances and special power and such. The doctor class, the taoist class, the scholar class, the warrior class, ALL are chi-enhanced martial artists. They all just have different innate special abilities, and stat distribution cost, IIRC.

Yael
2016-08-29, 01:47 AM
Lol, I just ended a campaign featuring a jojo theme (characters and all), post Part VI. We used WoD's d10 system, and it went pretty smooth. Obviously balancing stands was a difficult thing to do, but once we got over that, it was fun.

VariSami
2016-08-29, 03:54 AM
I actually have had some ideas for a Fate Core JoJo's campaign for a while, and indeed, the main thing to emulate Stands would be the ability to inflict aspects (both environmental and personal) and possibly consequences. Then, one could have the bad guys in particular have additional stunts which conditionally abuse those aspects.

Some stands I had been thinking of (note: I wanted to imagine what modern music stands would be like):

Blackstar & Blackstar Requiem (CellDweller 'Wish upon a Blackstar' and David Bowie 'Blackstar'): Main antagonist's stand and like the Behelit-shaped apostle in Berserk (spoiler warning), it is the origin of the antagonist's stands by granting wishes. Basically a pulsating black mass in its initial form, taking humanoid shape in the Requiem state. Creates humans with artificial stands, the users being identifiable by their completely blackened eyes. Once Requiem is achieved, can use the abilities of all the Stands it has created thus far.

Nice Sprites and Scary Monsters (Skrillex): A scattered stand (e.g. Harvest, Bad Company) which possesses young children. The goblin-like creature hides inside of their mouth and prevents them from speaking. Inspired by the spriggan: can morph into a large form after possessing someone, killing the host and gaining greatly increased strength. Used both for ambushes and extortion.

Bangarang (Skrillex): Pure, unadulterated steroids. Inspired by Bane in his Batman and Robin incarnation and Younger Toguro in Yu Yu Hakusho. A set of tubes which pumps the user full of ability-enhancing drugs, granting percentile based increments to specified abilities at set intervals. While the actual user, something of a roid junkie, focuses purely on physical strength, Blackstar Requiem will show he diversity of the uses.#

Other potential sources of names and inspirations: The Prodigy, Pendulum, Knife Party, Eminem, etc. So, mostly dance music as well as some rap and possibly a few black metal or death metal bands, just because Araki would likely never tap those sources.

The Troubadour
2016-08-29, 07:22 AM
I'm only now catching up with "Diamond is Unbreakable", but I have to say: the first episode's opening was absolutely perfect. I guess that's one advantage of adapting an old manga to anime, sometimes you can foreshadow things better than in the original work.

Amaril
2016-08-29, 09:16 AM
You know what, damn the spoilers--if someone runs a JoJo game around here, sign me the he'll up.

Flickerdart
2016-08-29, 09:27 AM
The system for "I predicted you would predict what I would do, so I transformed your dog's nose into secret lava" is obviously D&D 3.5. Between craft contingent spell, the various action economy tricks, and astral construct for your Stand, it's a pretty decent fit.

Amaril
2016-08-29, 10:48 AM
The system for "I predicted you would predict what I would do, so I transformed your dog's nose into secret lava" is obviously D&D 3.5. Between craft contingent spell, the various action economy tricks, and astral construct for your Stand, it's a pretty decent fit.

But doesn't that require you to actually predict that your dog's nose has been transformed into secret lava? :smalltongue:

On another not-strictly-relevant topic, since it's all but confirmed that Jesus was the first JoJo, who else would kill for an arc starring him?

Judas: M-masaka! How? They crucified you in front of everyone! P-please! Have mercy! I'll give you the thirty pieces of silver they paid me!

Joshua bar Joseph: Yare yare daze. You can't repay what you've done...with money!

Spirit in the Sky: AMENAMENAMENAMENAMENAMENAMENAMENAMENAMEN AMEN!!

Flickerdart
2016-08-29, 11:10 AM
But doesn't that require you to actually predict that your dog's nose has been transformed into secret lava? :smalltongue:

That's what divinations are for. Contact other plane: Did the enemy turn my dog's nose into secret lava? (http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/960/527/e7b.gif)

This could actually be an interesting premise - the game requires you to first declare your ultimate goal (let's say, stabbing the enemy), then the enemy is given a chance to respond (I coated myself in bounce gel so the blade bounces off and kills my attacker) and then you respond to that. The attacker's goal is to follow the path of events to his current state. The defender's goal is to interrupt the process - if any of the attacker's later actions are rendered invalid, the entire chain falls apart.

On another not-strictly-relevant topic, since it's all but confirmed that Jesus was the first JoJo, who else would kill for an arc starring him?

Judas: M-masaka! How? They crucified you in front of everyone! P-please! Have mercy! I'll give you the thirty pieces of silver they paid me!

Joshua bar Joseph: Yare yare daze. You can't repay what you've done...with money!

Spirit in the Sky: AMENAMENAMENAMENAMENAMENAMENAMENAMENAMEN AMEN!!

While this is hilarious, I'm not sure if we're allowed to talk about it.

Amaril
2016-08-29, 11:14 AM
This could actually be an interesting premise - the game requires you to first declare your ultimate goal (let's say, stabbing the enemy), then the enemy is given a chance to respond (I coated myself in bounce gel so the blade bounces off and kills my attacker) and then you respond to that. The attacker's goal is to follow the path of events to his current state. The defender's goal is to interrupt the process - if any of the attacker's later actions are rendered invalid, the entire chain falls apart.

That was what I was imagining with my previous suggestion based on aspects. I feel like something like this would have to be largely freeform, and fall mostly to player/GM judgment, because of how flexible it would have to be. As an added bonus, because of how much JoJo characters narrate what they're doing during fights already, a lot of the back-and-forth could happen in character.

While this is hilarious, I'm not sure if we're allowed to talk about it.

I figured because it was through the lens of something that's clearly just fiction, it'd be okay. Mods, punish me if you will, but spare the others.

Flickerdart
2016-08-29, 11:27 AM
That was what I was imagining with my previous suggestion based on aspects. I feel like something like this would have to be largely freeform, and fall mostly to player/GM judgment, because of how flexible it would have to be. As an added bonus, because of how much JoJo characters narrate what they're doing during fights already, a lot of the back-and-forth could happen in character.
I think it would actually need to have very strict rules, as it's very difficult to run this properly otherwise.

It could be coded similar to this: Each character has one or more encounter-ending powers in this format:
Unreasonable Amount of Punches
Result: The enemy dies from being punched a lot.
Conditions:

The enemy must be within 1 metre of the user.
The enemy must have no defences remaining.

Then at the beginning of the encounter, the player of this character declares that he will use Unreasonable Amount of Punches on his adversary. The GM sees the power's conditions and uses the NPC's power to counter them:

Dramatic Flying Powers
Result: The user is unreachable by movement.

To which the first player's teammate responds with:

Inconveniently Placed Power Lines
Result: The enemy dies from electrocution.
Conditions:

The enemy must be fllying

An obvious limit would be that each player may only play one "you die" ability per encounter, and must then use other abilities to meet the conditions.

The more I write this, the more it just starts looking like the stack concept of Magic: The Gathering.

The Troubadour
2016-08-29, 12:13 PM
...Huh? Did the translators make a mistake or was that just Japanese bias? Since when is "funky music" the same as "primitive music"?

Flickerdart
2016-08-29, 12:26 PM
...Huh? Did the translators make a mistake or was that just Japanese bias? Since when is "funky music" the same as "primitive music"?
It could be an attempt to avoid copyright issues (Vanilla Ice > Cool Ice, Killer Queen > Deadly Queen, etc).

Amaril
2016-08-29, 12:54 PM
I think it would actually need to have very strict rules, as it's very difficult to run this properly otherwise.

It could be coded similar to this: Each character has one or more encounter-ending powers in this format:
Unreasonable Amount of Punches
Result: The enemy dies from being punched a lot.
Conditions:

The enemy must be within 1 metre of the user.
The enemy must have no defences remaining.

Then at the beginning of the encounter, the player of this character declares that he will use Unreasonable Amount of Punches on his adversary. The GM sees the power's conditions and uses the NPC's power to counter them:

Dramatic Flying Powers
Result: The user is unreachable by movement.

To which the first player's teammate responds with:

Inconveniently Placed Power Lines
Result: The enemy dies from electrocution.
Conditions:

The enemy must be fllying

An obvious limit would be that each player may only play one "you die" ability per encounter, and must then use other abilities to meet the conditions.

The more I write this, the more it just starts looking like the stack concept of Magic: The Gathering.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I guess it seems rules-light to me because it's all qualitative, rather than everything being decided by numerical roll modifiers.

...Okay, I'm gonna have to make this now. Anyone want to help?

Flickerdart
2016-08-29, 01:41 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant. I guess it seems rules-light to me because it's all qualitative, rather than everything being decided by numerical roll modifiers.
Qualitative needs not be rules-light, especially if the qualities are hard-coded (as cards would be).

The Troubadour
2016-08-29, 06:28 PM
It could be an attempt to avoid copyright issues (Vanilla Ice > Cool Ice, Killer Queen > Deadly Queen, etc).

Nah, Yukako used it correctly in English (paraphrasing: "Prince sings about funky music in his lyrics", with the "funky music" part in English), but then used "primitive music" as the correct translation in Japanese.

Yael
2016-08-29, 09:26 PM

I actually thought of this before, making the player choose a theme and giving it a progression via the Personal Construct AFC for free using HD as Manifester Level, and having them choose a spell or something to represent them. This comes, however, with the price of having the stand be damaged, and so the user would.

Pathfinder's Eidoloncer works pretty well, too.

Flickerdart
2016-08-30, 07:47 AM
This comes, however, with the price of having the stand be damaged, and so the user would.
Unless it's a swarm-type or possession-type Stand, of course!

geonova
2016-08-30, 09:12 AM
Unless it's a swarm-type or possession-type Stand, of course!

Remote type stands don't reflect damage either.:smallwink:

Also have to say that I am enjoying DIU, though Stone Ocean is my favorite part and i can't wait for that to be animated.

Amaril
2016-08-30, 04:36 PM
Aaaand finished Battle Tendency.

Damn, that original theme during the final battle may have to go in my Music Cue Hall of Fame...

Sort of wishing I hadn't promised my friend that I'd hold off on starting Stardust Crusaders until we're back at school.

Yael
2016-08-30, 04:43 PM

Damn, that original theme during the final battle may have to go in my Music Cue Hall of Fame...

Sort of wishing I hadn't promised my friend that I'd hold off on starting Stardust Crusaders until we're back at school.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Battle Tendency is just too good, but once you get into Stardust Crusaders, you'll understand properly what defines Jojo's style.

LaZodiac
2016-08-30, 07:26 PM

Phantom Blood, as good as it is, is definitely "hello here is my Fist of the North Star Fanfiction turned into a real story"

Battle Tendancies is an Actual Good Story, but one could argue little more. It's fantastic, but it's very much "exactly what it is" no more or less.

Stardust Crusaders is when Araki finally finds his "style", and Jojo becomes a thing in it's own right, beyond just a generic qualifier of "good".

Fri
2016-08-30, 09:19 PM

Obviously, what you need to do is plan to somehow make school start next week.

Or you could register you and your friend to a cooking school or something.

"Technically, we're both at school already."

LaZodiac
2016-08-30, 10:10 PM

Or you could register you and your friend to a cooking school or something.

"Technically, we're both at school already."

Punch them in they face.

"It's the School of Hard Knocks"

(don't do this)

Amaril
2016-08-30, 10:43 PM

School does start next week. I'm just impatient and don't want to wait that long :smalltongue:

Fri
2016-08-30, 11:13 PM
School does start next week. I'm just impatient and don't want to wait that long :smalltongue:

So your convoluted plan does work!

Flickerdart
2016-09-02, 02:11 PM
itsfinallyfriday.meme

It's interesting that Reverb suddenly has a personality, instead of just doing what it's told to do. The only other Stand I can think of that's like this is Heart Attack, and it's not exactly up to carrying on a conversation. I guess there was also Empress, but it didn't really do anything other than grow.

Fri
2016-09-02, 02:57 PM
Oh true, I was kinda weirded up that suddenly stand can talk, but you remind me that there are stands that can talk and have personality before, just never the protagonists'

Still, what's up with reverb/echo's rule? Okay, I guess since stand is representative of your soul, if you're someone like koichi your stand might metamorph, symbolizing how the old you is not the real you or potential for growth, whatever. But what's with the gravity power I wonder. Before, at least the power relates! ...kinda. In jojo logic. In other word, I guess I'm fine with whatever as long as araki explain it. "Moving really fast and precise is actually like stopping time." "Power to control dogs can evolve to power to control fire because... dog have fiery personality" whatever.

Flickerdart
2016-09-02, 03:07 PM
Honestly, Reverb Act 2 seemed more powerful than Act 3, due to its sheer versatility.

The Troubadour
2016-09-02, 11:10 PM
Honestly, Reverb Act 2 seemed more powerful than Act 3, due to its sheer versatility.

It lacks power, though, and it's not as if Koichi can't use the earlier Acts anymore.

LaZodiac
2016-09-03, 01:13 AM
To explain things a little.

The stand is your soul. Most people can speak through it (it's how Jotaro was able to speak underwater against Deep Blue Moon, for instance). In the case of someone like Koichi, who's in that weird spot of "having emotionally grown enough to gain his true stand" but "not emotionally grown enough to know what his power IS!". As a result, his stand talks to him, basically a more literal version of self reflecting on yourself.

As for why Act 3 can freeze something by making it heavy? My guess was always that Act 3 can just enforce words on people like magic, and Koichi just doesn't know how to use it properly. He SAID freeze, but he used the power to enforce Heaviness on it.

Gastronomie
2016-09-03, 01:57 AM
There's two ways to think about ACT 3.

The first explanation is that Araki is simply being random. People who have read the entire series will realize that sometimes Araki is just really, really random at what he does, and he makes a lot of mistakes or ignores a lot of logic to force the plot to move on more conveniently (either that, or he really forgot something). There's some foreshadowing that never became anything, and some things were thus left unexplained throughout the whole series.

The second explanation is something you can't understand unless you're good at Japanese.

In Japanese, the word "Kotoba" ("Word") is described in many special ways, due to how there's been a religious belief that words have powerful meaning (this belief is known as "Kotodama", or "言霊", literally written as "Speaking Ghost" or "Speaking Soul" in Japanese Kanji). Echoes has the ACT 1 ability to sink sounds and words into objects, as well as the ACT 2 ability to make written sounds "come true", and it can be said that the ability of Echoes is to manipulate "Kotodama", or that Echoes is a form of "Kotodama" ("Speaing Soul") itself, since Stands are basically manifestations of the Stand User's soul anyways.

And now, there's a Japanese phrase "Kotoba no omomi", which is directly translated as "The heaviness of words". Of course it's not saying that words are heavy, but rather it refers to when a word has heavy meaning. You may also say "Omoni no aru kotoba", "a word which has heaviness", or rather, again, "words with heavy meaning" - this way of using the word "omomi" ("heaviness") is uncommon, and unique to the word "Kotoba", or "Word".

ACT 3 "says something" to make the target "heavier". One could possibly say that the ability of Echoes ACT 3 is to manifest the "Kotoba no omomi", or the "heaviness of words", as a "Kotodama"-related ability directly extended from the previous ones. ...If you're to somehow link it to the previous abilities, that is.

Not sure if Araki thought of it this deeply. Just a random fan theory that's pretty famous in Japan, but still ought I could bring it up here.

LaZodiac
2016-09-03, 02:07 AM
There's two ways to think about ACT 3.

The first explanation is that Araki is simply being random. People who have read the entire series will realize that sometimes Araki is just really, really random at what he does, and he makes a lot of mistakes or ignores a lot of logic to force the plot to move on more conveniently (either that, or he really forgot something). There's some foreshadowing that never became anything, and some things were thus left unexplained throughout the whole series.

The second explanation is something you can't understand unless you're good at Japanese.

In Japanese, the word "Kotoba" ("Word") is described in many special ways, due to how there's been a religious belief that words have powerful meaning (this belief is known as "Kotodama", or "言霊", literally written as "Speaking Ghost" or "Speaking Soul" in Japanese Kanji). Echoes has the ACT 1 ability to sink sounds and words into objects, as well as the ACT 2 ability to make written sounds "come true", and it can be said that the ability of Echoes is to manipulate "Kotodama", or that Echoes is a form of "Kotodama" ("Speaing Soul") itself, since Stands are basically manifestations of the Stand User's soul anyways.

And now, there's a Japanese phrase "Kotoba no omomi", which is directly translated as "The heaviness of words". Of course it's not saying that words are heavy, but rather it refers to when a word has heavy meaning. You may also say "Omoni no aru kotoba", "a word which has heaviness", or rather, again, "words with heavy meaning" - this way of using the word "omomi" ("heaviness") is uncommon, and unique to the word "Kotoba", or "Word".

ACT 3 "says something" to make the target "heavier". One could possibly say that the ability of Echoes ACT 3 is to manifest the "Kotoba no omomi", or the "heaviness of words", as a "Kotodama"-related ability directly extended from the previous ones. ...If you're to somehow link it to the previous abilities, that is.

Not sure if Araki thought of it this deeply. Just a random fan theory that's pretty famous in Japan, but still ought I could bring it up here.

Well considering this episode has Jotaro saying "you can't just listen, you have to 'listen well' I think this is as close as we can get to an explanation. It seems intentional given the start of it.

Xyon
2016-09-03, 10:13 AM
OH MY GODDD! Fellow JoJo fans? Nice!

I'm really enjoying diamond is unbreakable so far, really like how they have just been focusing on side character development in the town.

The Troubadour
2016-09-03, 10:39 AM
[...]

Nice! I'm inclined to agree with that theory. Araki does tend to put a lot of thought into his stories; I think the only time he actually forgot what were a character's abilities (or deliberately changed them, perhaps to be more interesting) was with

Part 6's Annasui.

Fri
2016-09-10, 08:02 AM
Okay, this episode.

Is Nucking.

Futs.

My line of thought during the whole episode is basically like this.

"Okay, this is nuts. How could they ever top this in later episodes or arcs."

5 minutes later.

"Okay, I stand corrected. THIS is nuts. How could they ever top this in later episodes or arcs?"

5 minutes later.

"Okay, THIS is NUTS. How could they ever top this in later episodes or arcs?"

Gastronomie
2016-09-10, 08:54 AM
I loved the acting for Kira's voice. The cruel and sadistic tone when he's trying to make Kouichi's death as painful as possible, then the weak and terrified voice when he's pleading Josuke to heal his injuries, and the voice when he's crying from pain after he's cut off his own hand...

Who's ever heard of a major antagonist of a shonen manga who works at a department store, has no desire to become successful or even win in a fight, gets in a nasty quarrel with a bunch of scoundrels, suddenly starts bickering about how he needs to gain more stamina (possibly at a training gym what'll open up soon), and miserably cries from pain after he cuts off his own left hand?

But that's exactly what makes Kira Yoshikage a truly memorable major antagonist character who will be remembered forever in manga history. Everything about him is the basic tropes of the "villain boss" inverted... and Araki did an amazing job with depicting him as a sort of "dark hero", an "evil main character".

LaZodiac
2016-09-10, 10:44 AM
Okay, this episode.

Is Nucking.

Futs.

My line of thought during the whole episode is basically like this.

"Okay, this is nuts. How could they ever top this in later episodes or arcs."

5 minutes later.

"Okay, I stand corrected. THIS is nuts. How could they ever top this in later episodes or arcs?"

5 minutes later.

"Okay, THIS is NUTS. How could they ever top this in later episodes or arcs?"

Here's a fun fact: Because the only other way for humans to experience Part 4 in english was a really bad translation, I had completely forgot what happened this episode. So it was like seeing it fresh for the first time, ever.

Holy ****.

I loved the acting for Kira's voice. The cruel and sadistic tone when he's trying to make Kouichi's death as painful as possible, then the weak and terrified voice when he's pleading Josuke to heal his injuries, and the voice when he's crying from pain after he's cut off his own hand...

Who's ever heard of a major antagonist of a shonen manga who works at a department store, has no desire to become successful or even win in a fight, gets in a nasty quarrel with a bunch of scoundrels, suddenly starts bickering about how he needs to gain more stamina (possibly at a training gym what'll open up soon), and miserably cries from pain after he cuts off his own left hand?

But that's exactly what makes Kira Yoshikage a truly memorable major antagonist character who will be remembered forever in manga history. Everything about him is the basic tropes of the "villain boss" inverted... and Araki did an amazing job with depicting him as a sort of "dark hero", an "evil main character".

The voice acting in this was phenominal. The contrast between Kira and other villains is so great too! You'd never see Dio fake crying, at least after getting his vampire powers, and NEVER this EFFECTIVELY. Dio's crocodile tears were obvious because he is not a man who COULD lower himself like that. Cars never even had an opportunity to do something like this and would clearly be too proud to. But Kira? Kira's totally willing to debase himself, and truly BE a coward, **** his pride, if it means he can win and doesn't get to have his perfect life ruined.

I also find it absolutely hilarious that he's still being screwed over by his own inability to control himself. He could of escaped easily, with Koichi dead, if he just blew him up. But instead he just...he saw that inside out sock, and it ****ING PISSED HIM OFF SO MUCH. I love how they really go to show Kira's intense OCD. Also yeah the line about "damn it took me like two minutes to get back here, I need to work out some more" is ****ing hilarious to hear from THE MAIN ANTAGONIST. He's honestly just like our heroes, a big ole goof ball who happens to have a special power, and a slight penchant for murder.

LaZodiac
2016-09-16, 03:01 PM
New Jojo!

I can't believe our heroes got there asses kicked by an old grandpa in pyjamas. Atom Heart Father is a simultaneously really powerful and really weak Stand.

Seeing New!Kira is fantastic, and seeing how he so quickly wins over the wife of the man who originally owned this face is quite cool.

And of course...next time on Jojo. HERE COMES JANKEN BOY!

NecroDancer
2016-09-18, 12:01 AM
I feel sorry for the animators of part 6, animating [Made In heaven] will be their hell on earth.

The same thing goes for the poor blokes who have to animate the horses in part 7

LaZodiac
2016-09-18, 12:15 AM
I feel sorry for the animators of part 6, animating [Made In heaven] will be their hell on earth.

The same thing goes for the poor blokes who have to animate the horses in part 7

I'm more concerned about the animators who are told, or decide to, try and make as many scenes as possible match the golden ratio.

Though yeah, this series gets really weird so animating it's going to be fun. I'm excited for next episode in part because of this.

Fri
2016-09-18, 04:19 AM
"Josuke, go say something cool. Let him have it."

Jotaro really works much better as a mentor character :smalltongue:

LaZodiac
2016-09-18, 11:38 AM
"Josuke, go say something cool. Let him have it."

Jotaro really works much better as a mentor character :smalltongue:

and then Josuke gives such a weak line. I have to imagine Jotaro just kinda stared at him for awhile. Poor Josuke. He'll have to work on that.

Gastronomie
2016-09-18, 08:17 PM
and then Josuke gives such a weak line. I have to imagine Jotaro just kinda stared at him for awhile. Poor Josuke. He'll have to work on that.I really love how Josuke's reactions are sometimes so childish - I mean, he's younger than the previous Jojos (okay, if you look at the Jojos after him, Giorno is supposedly younger, but he's a f***ing gangster, and his father is… you know), only a high-schooler in his second year. Being pretty afraid of the ghost, trying to gain lots of money from Shigechi… It makes him feel more natural, a life-size character.

And exactly because he sometimes shows those juvenile moments, when he shows his heroic side, his "golden spirit", it looks even cooler.

Jonathan and Jotaro are created to be "heroes of legend" (Arakihas stated this in an interview). I think Giorno also belongs in this group. In comparison, Joseph and Jolyne (prob Johnny as well) are "former normal people who become heroes of legend".

And Josuke is honestly "his own thing". Being in a weird sort of town comedy horror something, he is not a hero of legend. But neither does he "grow", because he's already a hero from the start. He's a normal high-school student, except with the golden spirit. He will never be important to save the entire world like the other protagonists did, but he can certainly save his hometown. It's the reason why his character is so fun to watch/read.

Brendanicus
2016-09-18, 08:29 PM
God, watching Jotaro bond with Josuke over ass-kicking continues to be hilarious and amazing. 4taro is soooooo much better than he was in Part 3. Still, the best moment of the episode was Jotaro's hardcore music playing as he enacts simple arts-n-crafts. This is a great microcosm of everything great about Part 4 so far: funny moments, tense action, plot twists, Stand shenanigans, and watching Kira be menacing/mediocre. I'm very glad the tension has lowered a bit after the showdown with Kira last episode. My roommate was convinced that Part 4 was nearing its end and I really don't want to see it end yet.

Rynjin
2016-09-18, 08:57 PM
There's supposed to be 37 episodes, so we've got a bit yet.

Fri
2016-09-18, 09:25 PM
This is a great microcosm of everything great about Part 4 so far: funny moments, tense action, plot twists, Stand shenanigans, and watching Kira be menacing/mediocre.

This is the best summary of part 4 so far.

LaZodiac
2016-09-19, 12:02 AM
This is the best summary of part 4 so far.

Especially the bit about Kira. It's not very often that you can say the villain was being a whiny baby begging for his life and that makes him look better as a villain.

And man...I don't mean to hype it too much, but some of the best episodes in the part are coming up next.

Fri
2016-09-19, 01:07 AM
Especially the bit about Kira. It's not very often that you can say the villain was being a whiny baby begging for his life and that makes him look better as a villain.

Yes, that's what make the quote for me.

When reading that part of the sentence I said to myself, "yep, that's part 4"

Kathulex
2016-09-20, 07:10 PM
I love Jojo! I actually plan on running a custom Jojo system with some friends.

NecroDancer
2016-09-20, 08:44 PM
I can't wait for the next episodes! SUPERFlY!

The Troubadour
2016-09-21, 11:37 AM
And man...I don't mean to hype it too much, but some of the best episodes in the part are coming up next.

Mannish Boy and Highway Star immediately come to mind.

Finally caught up with Part 4. It's weird to see Rohan's Stand being called "Heaven's Door"; in the translation I read, it was called Heaven's Gate, which I thought was a reference to German heavy metal band Heaven's Gate.
I guess what I'm saying is that JoJo needs more heavy metal references. :-P

Rynjin
2016-09-22, 11:54 PM
I love Jojo! I actually plan on running a custom Jojo system with some friends.

From experience, BESM already works pretty well for JoJo. I'd be interested to see what a specific JoJo system would look like though.

Gastronomie
2016-09-23, 09:08 AM
This is totally unrelated to the anime, but my favorite Call of Cthulhu character I've created so far is a parody of Kishibe Rohan (of course, without his Stand). For one, CoC and Jojo are sorta similar in atmosphere (suspense and horror), and for another, where normal characters might be afraid to take a particular action required for the plot to progress, Rohan will be more than willing to boldly jump in for the sole reason of "gaining knowledge that can allow him to describe things better in his manga and make it even more entertaining".

And of course, he's hilarious to role-play.

LaZodiac
2016-09-23, 10:15 AM
This is totally unrelated to the anime, but my favorite Call of Cthulhu character I've created so far is a parody of Kishibe Rohan (of course, without his Stand). For one, CoC and Jojo are sorta similar in atmosphere (suspense and horror), and for another, where normal characters might be afraid to take a particular action required for the plot to progress, Rohan will be more than willing to boldly jump in for the sole reason of "gaining knowledge that can allow him to describe things better in his manga and make it even more entertaining".

And of course, he's hilarious to role-play.

That sounds wonderful.

Also, new episode today! Soon...soon. Here comes Janken boy.

NecroDancer
2016-09-23, 02:12 PM
I wonder if they are going to animate part 5 or skip to part 6?

LaZodiac
2016-09-23, 02:27 PM
I wonder if they are going to animate part 5 or skip to part 6?

They're doing every part.

Speaking of, new episode!

JAN

KEN

HOI!

Flickerdart
2016-09-23, 02:57 PM
You know, when you're living in a world of absurd abilities, don't playing innocent-looking games with people. It didn't end well for Polnareff when betting against d'Arby, and it was obviously not going to end well here. Polnareff was an idiot, but Rohan is supposed to be very smart.

LaZodiac
2016-09-23, 04:44 PM
You know, when you're living in a world of absurd abilities, don't playing innocent-looking games with people. It didn't end well for Polnareff when betting against d'Arby, and it was obviously not going to end well here. Polnareff was an idiot, but Rohan is supposed to be very smart.

Rohan's also neurotic and enjoys beating children at petty games of chance. Janken Boy's super annoying and would just drive the poor mangaka to fight him just to stop his shrill voice.

Also I mean yeah he's SMART, but he's also barely 20. He's not very wise :smallamused:

Scowling Dragon
2016-09-23, 05:51 PM
This is the DUMBEST thing ever. An episode about AGGRESSIVE ROCK PAPER SCISSORS!

And Jojo makes it work! :smallbiggrin:

LaZodiac
2016-09-24, 12:22 AM
This is the DUMBEST thing ever. An episode about AGGRESSIVE ROCK PAPER SCISSORS!

And Jojo makes it work! :smallbiggrin:

My favorite part is the poses. A friend of mine was concerned about the lac of poses in this part and this sure helped ease that concern. They basically turned into Dragon Ball Z for awhile there.

And speaking of "dumbest thing ever" next episode...we finally hit another of the really infamous parts of Diamond. [I am an Alien]

NecroDancer
2016-09-24, 11:14 PM
It is my opinion that Janken boy has the most annoying voice in the series so far

Fri
2016-09-25, 01:31 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Carer-Rejuvenation-Therapy-Photodynamics-Machine/dp/B0146A8CJ0/ref=pd_sim_194_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0S9JDW7HNNG7YXR6NZBC&th=1

Isn't this... isn't this how jojo start.

LaZodiac
2016-09-25, 02:46 AM
It is my opinion that Janken boy has the most annoying voice in the series so far

That's probably the intent.

https://www.amazon.com/Carer-Rejuvenation-Therapy-Photodynamics-Machine/dp/B0146A8CJ0/ref=pd_sim_194_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0S9JDW7HNNG7YXR6NZBC&th=1

Sonochi no sadame.

ryuplaneswalker
2016-09-25, 06:25 AM

I would make a joke about the CEO of the company not being nearly Fabulous enough to be a Pillar Man..but I can't find any information about Carer Health outside of it being Chinese.

LudicSavant
2016-09-25, 05:18 PM
I loved part 1 and part 2 of the anime, but found Stardust Crusaders entirely unwatchable. :smallfrown:

So what's the deal with Part 4? How does it compare to the rest of the series?

Fri
2016-09-25, 09:06 PM
Amazing.

Might be the best, and at least as good as part 2, only if part 2 is epic adventure in scope, part 4 is about a bunch of kids investigating mystery in their town. Just think of persona 4. In fact, it's 100% persona 4.

Also it's more self contained from the others, other than some backgrounds, so actually you can watch it without watching part 3.

Scowling Dragon
2016-09-26, 12:22 PM
Well question is what was disliked in Part 3. Without knowing the why I can't recomend anything new.

ryuplaneswalker
2016-09-30, 07:05 PM
The openings in Part 4 have been Bizarre, especially the newest one.

Scowling Dragon
2016-09-30, 09:48 PM
I know I love it. Jojos at its best when its being JOJO.

Fri
2016-09-30, 09:55 PM
What a strangely cheery op. That's the first time we get cheery song instead of fistpumping or epic song, isn't it?

LaZodiac
2016-10-01, 12:20 AM
What a strangely cheery op. That's the first time we get cheery song instead of fistpumping or epic song, isn't it?

Yeah, though I'd consider the first Diamond is Unbreakable op to be pretty cheery?

Anyway, New Episode!

So...thoughts on wheter or not our buddy here is an alien or not?

Also god damnit the next part is Highway Star. YES YES YES. The last couple episodes have been goolden.

ryuplaneswalker
2016-10-01, 02:30 AM
Yeah, though I'd consider the first Diamond is Unbreakable op to be pretty cheery?

Anyway, New Episode!

So...thoughts on wheter or not our buddy here is an alien or not?

Also god damnit the next part is Highway Star. YES YES YES. The last couple episodes have been goolden.

I am going to say yes because it is Jojo and that is the most reasonable explanation

LaZodiac
2016-10-01, 09:23 AM
I am going to say yes because it is Jojo and that is the most reasonable explanation

The thing I love the most about this guy is that they give us just enough evidence, and just enough non-evidence, that it could really go EITHER WAY.

NecroDancer
2016-10-01, 06:27 PM
The new intro is amazing!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Su0viKgV3g

Gastronomie
2016-10-03, 09:50 AM
The new intro is amazing!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Su0viKgV3gI didn't realize until I saw it in the comments, but there's some sign of Part 5 coming up. When Koichi appears walking through the street (with Yukako coming from his left and these doves flying above them), there's a sign post behind him that says "2001", with the mark of a ladybug and the initials "GW" (possibly stands for "Golden Winds").

http://jojosoku.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Bm5v3M5s-338x450.jpg

Flickerdart
2016-10-03, 09:55 AM
The thing I love the most about this guy is that they give us just enough evidence, and just enough non-evidence, that it could really go EITHER WAY.

I think he's not an alien. Why would an actual alien have an "ultra hyper gravity manipulator"? What even is that?

LaZodiac
2016-10-03, 10:10 AM
I think he's not an alien. Why would an actual alien have an "ultra hyper gravity manipulator"? What even is that?

Why would you NOT. Flying is really good to travel with so adjusting your gravity would be helpful. It might also make it so that he can actually function on Earth, if he's an alien.

Flickerdart
2016-10-03, 12:09 PM
Why would you NOT. Flying is really good to travel with so adjusting your gravity would be helpful. It might also make it so that he can actually function on Earth, if he's an alien.

He doesn't have it with him - he says the gravity manipulator is on the ship, like his ray gun.

VariSami
2016-10-04, 04:48 AM
One of those epiphanies about part 7 which proves I can be a bit slow (although I have a vague memory about thinking of it before):

Scary Monsters <-(Engrish scrambler)-> Scaly Monsters

NecroDancer
2016-10-07, 03:53 PM
I just saw highway go go part 1

That dice game got out of hand

LaZodiac
2016-10-07, 04:06 PM
I just saw highway go go part 1

That dice game got out of hand

As a friend of mine said "This is really intense and probably shouldn't be" and that's just Jojo in general sometimes.

Next episode is something that, despite the Duwang translations of Part 4, despite the poor quality of the scans, beyond eveerything, made me love Josuke as a protagonist. Practically salivating to see it animated. Hell yes.

Brendanicus
2016-10-07, 04:35 PM
So, wait. How would The Lock be able to tell if Josuke was cheating? Can somebody explain that to me?

Scowling Dragon
2016-10-07, 08:03 PM
Guilt. The lock works off of Guilt. So In a sense hes set it to attach to Jomiester if he feels guilty for not cheating.

VariSami
2016-10-08, 03:21 AM
Specifically, Rohan basically set a new rule that Josuke must keep cheating. Thus, he would actually be cheating if he stopped cheating at that point. Since the 2 million yen prize gained by cheating by stopping cheating with the dice is big enough to probably make even Josuke feel bad if he gains it by cheating within the new rules to which it is connected, the lock would probably get him.

Gastronomie
2016-10-08, 03:48 AM
The way they animated "BUT I REFUSE" made me laugh in a good way. They replicated the original manga as best as they could.

Fri
2016-10-08, 09:57 AM
**** man, this episode.

The "Actually your house is on fire! But nobody realized it because everyone was too intense" had me. Holy god that must be the most ridiculously ridiculous thing in jojo so far. It's almost like a gag anime, but played completely absolutely straight and serious. Good god, this anime.

I must say that, eventhough later arcs might be as good, or better than DiU (everyone keep mentioning how Steel Ball Run is better), I doubt any arc could replace DiU's place in my heart.

It's because DiU is basically my favourite premise. That is, mundane things played seriously. Also, it's basically Durarara pumped to eleven, and a friend of mine once mentioned that Durarara is basically the Fri anime, it's the anime that perfectly capture what they thought of my taste.

Gastronomie
2016-10-08, 10:00 AM
I was sorta surprised at how no one in this thread said anything about Rohan's "BUT I REFUSE", but then I just now realized that's because it's not that famous a phrase in other countries.

In Japan, "Daga kotowaru" is a really popular interent meme and a phrase many otakus use - of course, being based off the line from Jojo. That probably has stuff to do with how they made the scene's animation so good in the latest episode.

LaZodiac
2016-10-08, 10:08 AM
The way they animated "BUT I REFUSE" made me laugh in a good way. They replicated the original manga as best as they could.

It's the best and I love it. This entire anime, from as far back as Phantom Blood, has tried to emulate the manga as much as it can. The only times it changes things, even slightly, is to make the rest of the story BETTER. Just small little touches, that you'd never notice unless "you knew" to notice.

I didn't realize it was a meme in Japan, nice. It'd be like in English if he said "...no u" I guess? But yeah, that scene was awesome! The reason why we haven't really been talking about it is because this entire episode is kind of full of REALLY good moments.

**** man, this episode.

The "Actually your house is on fire! But nobody realized it because everyone was too intense" had me. Holy god that must be the most ridiculously ridiculous thing in jojo so far. It's almost like a gag anime, but played completely absolutely straight and serious. Good god, this anime.

I must say that, eventhough later arcs might be as good, or better than DiU (everyone keep mentioning how Steel Ball Run is better), I doubt any arc could replace DiU's place in my heart.

It's because DiU is basically my favourite premise. That is, mundane things played seriously. Also, it's basically Durarara pumped to eleven, and a friend of mine once mentioned that Durarara is basically the Fri anime, it's the anime that perfectly capture what they thought of my taste.

It is absolutely one of the best comedic moments in the series. The two of them were so intense about their gambling that they didn't notice the RAGING FIRE. God, imagine what it'd be like to be a fan of Rohan Kishibi's manga in this universe? First he's out for a MONTH, and now you receive word that his house has burnt down. It's a good thing he's a mangaka god and can easily recover drawing wise.

And then we get the second half of the episode (or, more accurately, the actual start of the episode, because the entire gambling thing was the end half of I Am An Alien) with the creepy tunnel house, and Rohan's fetish for telling people who think they're stronger than him "haha no" is great...and of course Josuke's whole "well...he WAS right, I AM a punk who does the opposite of what I'm told, haha" which leads to him getting targetted by Highway Star.

Which causes the Highway Star chase scene. Which is one of the best things I've ever seen in a manga. I cannot wait to see it animated.

With regards to Steel Ball Run: It's a really good series (especially if you like yaoi shipping as an aside.) but I'm not sure how I'd rate it against Diamond is Unbreakable. The somewhat hilarious thing is that despite being parts of the same series, they're actually TOO DIFFERENT to really compare, beyond "having stands". It's part of the reason why I love Jojo, every arc is so vastly "different".

Yael
2016-10-10, 03:05 PM
What I really want to see is next episode, one of the trademark moments of Josuke that keeps getting used in the games :smallbiggrin:
It is fair if I heal you first, right...?

LaZodiac
2016-10-10, 03:49 PM
What I really want to see is next episode, one of the trademark moments of Josuke that keeps getting used in the games :smallbiggrin:
It is fair if I heal you first, right...?

I'm pretty sure this is the chapter that line comes up :smallwink:

gooddragon1
2016-10-11, 01:44 AM
What kind of fan of the show would I be if I didn't make a dumb fictional stand...

Name: Touch Sight
Appearance: Gaunt human shape with no eyes on face. One eye on each finger with coverage similar to a thimble. Eyes appear to be more like tattoos stretched over the described areas than actual eyes.
Abilities:
+Can see unnaturally well out of each eye with no such problem as peripheral vision.
+Finger eyes are not sensitive to touch and only by completely destroying the entire surface of an eye or covering it is its sight impeded. If any part of an eye is left intact or unimpeded it can see from that part.
+Very strong mental link between stand and user. Like a hive mind. Anything one knows the other knows. No chance of stand rejection as a result.
+Generates a telekinetic field around it in a radius that it can manipulate things within.
+Can automatically learn everything about anything "touched" by this field. Memories, history, etc. Can learn less if desired.
+Limitless knowledge capacity and recall.
+Not physically strong.

I mean there's already really weird stands right... what's one more?

LaZodiac
2016-10-11, 01:52 AM
*looks at some of the future stands*

Yeah this is fine. Wait until we get Moody Blues.

Gastronomie
2016-10-11, 08:22 PM
Speaking of original stands, I once had this random idea of writing a fan fic spin-off of Part 5, with the protagonist(?) being Diavolo before he became the Boss.The idea seemed pretty fun, but I didn't have the time to write it.

Anonymouswizard
2016-10-12, 04:01 AM
So I got into JoJo about a week ago, and rushed through the first anime and have just started Stardust Crusaders. While I enjoyed Phantom Blood, Battle Tendencies was just so much better in almost every way, and I'm hoping Stardust Crusaders is just as good. Even perStands are a fun addition, I can't wait for the quirky ones to turn up.

The one thing that annoys me is the ridiculously over muscled bodies all the men have. How long is it until that disappears?

Fri
2016-10-12, 04:05 AM
Never, really. That's pretty much the author's trademark style.

Though I noticed that they're actually not that muscly anymore in Diamond is Unbreakable? Will they get back to muscly later?

Also you know my opinion that Stardust Crusader is actually pretty boring and someone earlier got put off by it (or to be specific, way too long. Really, I realized that's actually the problem with it, it doesn't really need that many two-parters), but stay with the series. DiU will make everything worth it.

Gastronomie
2016-10-12, 07:49 AM
Stardust Crusaders is like a vast collections of the "Enemy Stand User of the week!", so it's not really a sort of connected drama like Part 1 and 2 are. It's enjoyable in its own way, but it's obviously different from the previous parts, and thus, if you expect something similar, you might get disappointed.

As for the characters being muscular: Blame it not on Araki, but on Fist of the North Star. Araki's previous works, like BT or Baoh, did not involve that many muscular men. But if you look at the age in which Jojo's parts 1 to 3 were published you'll see it's the era of Fist of the North Star, and basically all the shonen manga of that time involved having lots and lots more of muscular men.

Muscles suddenly diminish in part 4, where the story is about the daily lives of normal high-schoolers wielding badass superpowers. Part 5 involves not much muscle, but it instead involves a lot of really, and I mean really bizarre fashion. This trend is actually stronger than the muscle trend, and goes on all the way till now.

Dr_Dinosaur
2016-10-12, 12:56 PM
Re: the new op, they're clearly setting up for an End of The World style alternate version in a few episodes that I won't spoil for the anime-only people here. Suffice to say it'll blow you away.

Flickerdart
2016-10-12, 01:03 PM
Re: the new op, they're clearly setting up for an End of The World style alternate version in a few episodes that I won't spoil for the anime-only people here. Suffice to say it'll blow you away.

How do we go from "teenagers investigate a murderer" to the end of the world?

NecroDancer
2016-10-12, 01:32 PM

It's an adventure, some might call it a "bizarre" adventure

The Troubadour
2016-10-13, 07:40 AM
Not only does the trend of drawing overly muscular men* disappears starting with Part 4 (you can already see it in how Jotaro looks now compared to how he did in Part 3), but when Araki redraws the earlier JoJos, he tends to draw them in a much slimmer build.

* There will be some women who are quite muscular, but not to "Fist of the North Star" levels. Plus, it feels natural, considering the story.

Even perStands [...]

It's the other way around. :-)

Also you know my opinion that Stardust Crusader is actually pretty boring and someone earlier got put off by it [...]

Obviously, this is very subjective, but I think the reason Part 3 might be considered boring is because it's much more of a standard shounen fighting series than any other Part, even 1 and 2 - it's basically a series of fights with bad guys who, for the most part, don't have any personal connection to the protagonists or the plot, all leading up to the confrontation with the "final boss".*

Personally, I give it a pass on that front for two reasons: the first is that I grew up on that kind of anime, so it hits me on the nostalgia level, and the second is that it's a product of its time.

* Which is a formula even the other Parts use - we can see it even now in Part 4 -, but they usually put their own spin on at least a few things.

LaZodiac
2016-10-13, 09:49 AM

I don't know, ask the gang in Inaba-cho. I'm sure they'd love to talk about murders.

Dr_Dinosaur
2016-10-13, 07:55 PM

Poor phrasing on my part. The last Stardust Crusaders opening was called End of the World, and had a similar ending to Stand Proud except that DIO stops time.

LaZodiac
2016-10-14, 02:04 PM
New episode!

THERE'S NO WAY! I HAVE TO DRIVE THROUGH! BUT...CRAZY DIAMOND! ORA *destroys motorcycle, flips over lady with her baby carriage* NOW! FIX! *motorcycle reforms and continues driving without losing a bit of speed*

OPENING SEQUENCE DROP.

I love this show so much. And of course we end with the line that was referred to earlier in the thread. "You're right...it wouldn't be fair if I beat up a crippled man. That's why I already healed you. Now...now it's fair!"

Yael
2016-10-19, 11:22 AM
Ow, yeah. We're having some cat next episode! *hype from a cat lover*

LaZodiac
2016-10-19, 11:46 AM
Ow, yeah. We're having some cat next episode! *hype from a cat lover*

...ooh. Oh boy. This is gonna be a thing.

But yeah jeez. "That Cat Loves Yoshikagi Kira" is a damn good episode, and I'm excited to see how it'll look on ye old TV screen.

NecroDancer
2016-10-20, 06:54 PM
Speaking of cats I am currently fending off a 4 month old kitten who is determined to climb my bare leg. Button please stop, my flesh isn't an appropriate place to put your claws.

LaZodiac
2016-10-21, 12:15 AM
Speaking of cats I am currently fending off a 4 month old kitten who is determined to climb my bare leg. Button please stop, my flesh isn't an appropriate place to put your claws.

The solution to this is simple. Just hollow out your chest and put in a baby carriage carrying cage thing.

gooddragon1
2016-10-21, 12:32 AM
The solution to this is simple. Just hollow out your chest and put in a baby carriage carrying cage thing.

Or just pet kitty whenever you see kitty heading for your leg*. I said it before (on the cat pet thread) and I say it again: Only thing kitty is guilty of is wanting to be petted.

*Then kitty will develop a method of letting you know when petting is needed. This will allow kitty to be petted when needed and that's what's really important here.

EDIT: Something on track with thread... Something on track with thread...
Why couldn't Za Hando just have been used against the picture room anyways against where the ghost was? Sure it's an alternate dimension, but he's still there. I'm curious to see what would have happened. And why couldn't he just have Za Hando'd him out of the frame once they had him trapped?

LaZodiac
2016-10-21, 03:16 AM
Or just pet kitty whenever you see kitty heading for your leg*. I said it before (on the cat pet thread and I say it again: Only think kitty is guilty of is wanting to be petted.

*Then kitty will develop a method of letting you know when petting is needed. This will allow kitty to be petted when needed and that's what's really important here.

EDIT: Something on track with thread... Something on track with thread...
Why couldn't Za Hando just have been used against the picture room anyways against where the ghost was? Sure it's an alternate dimension, but he's still there. I'm curious to see what would have happened. And why couldn't he just have Za Hando'd him out of the frame once they had him trapped?

My understanding is that The Hand is that it "erases space". But Atom Heart Father "creates space" through the photo. IT takes a picture of a place, and that room becomes "set" and nothing can change within it without his direct input on the photo. Though, as we saw if I recall, Okuyasu using The Hand on the PHOTO changed the photo. So it's less a matter of The Hand not working, and more that he aimed at the wrong thing. I might be thinking of later, or just conjecturing.

Also Pyjama Dad could just...go back into the photo once removed. Remember he's literally a Ghost that has a stand, not a human living in a photo.

Oh, also also, and this is important. If the question "why didn't Okuyasu use The Hand to do X" it's almost invariably because in character Okuyasu is either too unmotivated or too stupid to realize he can do it. A stand user sort of gets a "Feel" for how their stand works as they use it, but just because they know how to use it on an instinctual base level doesn't mean they're SMART.

LaZodiac
2016-10-21, 12:55 PM
OH MAN JOJO.

Hey everybody look it's Stray Cat, Kira's natural counter. The power to control air. Shame about BEING A CAT THOUGH. CAT'S LOVE YOSHIKAGE KIRA!

In a string of good episodes this one stands out for, once again, making the main villain our protagonist and making it WORK. Hayato finally finds out about his father, and we're shoved back into the reality of just how villainous Kira is.

Next time, on Jojo...I don't ACTUALLY remember ****. I know what happens next in the manga, but the chapter title is different from what I expected. Hmm...

NecroDancer
2016-10-21, 01:05 PM
Next time is my favorite stand........

SUPERFLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LaZodiac
2016-10-28, 03:36 PM
So, I was curious as to what episode would be next. Are they skipping any, why is the title different from the manga? Well, I got the answer now.

They're doing "Let's Live On A Transmission Tower" "Enigma Boy" "My Dad Is Not My Dad" and "Cheap Trick" ALL AT ONCE! This is pretty clever, and will leave us a good amount of time left for AOBTD.

Yael
2016-10-28, 08:24 PM
So, I was curious as to what episode would be next. Are they skipping any, why is the title different from the manga? Well, I got the answer now.

They're doing "Let's Live On A Transmission Tower" "Enigma Boy" "My Dad Is Not My Dad" and "Cheap Trick" ALL AT ONCE! This is pretty clever, and will leave us a good amount of time left for AOBTD.

Those events happen kinda close to each other (except for Enigma Boy and KQBTD)

LaZodiac
2016-10-28, 11:47 PM
Those events happen kinda close to each other (except for Enigma Boy and KQBTD)

I actually looked it up to remember and timeline wise practically all four of those arcs I mentioned happen "at the same general time".

Prime32
2016-10-29, 08:27 AM
Obligatory:
"Tower of Gray" from Part 3 was a super-powerful fly. "Superfly" is a gray tower.

Anonymouswizard
2016-10-31, 04:40 AM
So I've finally reached Egypt, why does this part drag on so long? It's the first time I've been both highly entertained and bored, as it always seems to be along the line of 'Trainer DIO sent out Stand User, go Jotaro/whoever's fighting this week'.

If I wanted to feel like I was watching filler I'd start watching Bleach again.

On the other hand, I've worked out my two favourite characters for this Part, who are Joseph (again) and Avdol. The mixture of the glorious ham with being the two most experienced and in some ways competent people in the group makes them much more entertaining than Jotaro.

shadow_archmagi
2016-10-31, 04:04 PM
I think almost everyone ends up liking Jotaro's comrades more than they like him.

Yael
2016-10-31, 04:16 PM
I think almost everyone ends up liking Jotaro's comrades more than they like him.

Man, Polnareff is just like my reason to continue watching Stardust Crusaders.

Anonymouswizard
2016-10-31, 06:33 PM

Well of course, Jotaro suffers from being the straight man, but unlike Roy he doesn't get many opportunities for sarcastic quips (and the rare times I've really liked Jotaro are when it feels like he's being sarcastic).

It also feels like the potential for Stands is underused. Maybe it gets better in later parts, but how about a Stand that looks like a robot, where each limb (inc. head and torso) can turn into a separate robot. The crazier Stands have generally been the better ones, and seem to be becoming more common (man the fight on the submarine was tense). This water stand seems cool, and all will be forgiven if there's eventually a stand that shoots bombs made out of ice cream but only while the user is riding a bicycle, or something even more outlandish.

LaZodiac
2016-10-31, 07:17 PM
Well of course, Jotaro suffers from being the straight man, but unlike Roy he doesn't get many opportunities for sarcastic quips (and the rare times I've really liked Jotaro are when it feels like he's being sarcastic).

It also feels like the potential for Stands is underused. Maybe it gets better in later parts, but how about a Stand that looks like a robot, where each limb (inc. head and torso) can turn into a separate robot. The crazier Stands have generally been the better ones, and seem to be becoming more common (man the fight on the submarine was tense). This water stand seems cool, and all will be forgiven if there's eventually a stand that shoots bombs made out of ice cream but only while the user is riding a bicycle, or something even more outlandish.

I'm not gonna spoil things but I will say, Stardust Crusaders was 100% Araki feeling things out. It gets better. More stands come by and they're far more elaborate and weird.

Again, not gonna spoil anything, but what you've described could almost be a stand. God bless White Album.

Yael
2016-10-31, 08:18 PM
I'm not gonna spoil things but I will say, Stardust Crusaders was 100% Araki feeling things out. It gets better. More stands come by and they're far more elaborate and weird.

Again, not gonna spoil anything, but what you've described could almost be a stand. God bless White Album.

Heh, White Album? Wait 'till the Disney References with Bohemian Rhapsody :smallwink:

The Troubadour
2016-11-01, 01:01 AM
As straightforward a concept as it is, Silver Chariot is still one of my favourite Stands in the series. Of course, that's greatly helped by the fact that Polnareff only loses out to Joseph as my favourite Part 3 character.

Fri
2016-11-01, 01:21 AM
Me and my friends always say that Polnareff is that guy who make a character built around critical damage and sneak attacks, only to find out that the whole campaign is about constructs and undeads.

LaZodiac
2016-11-01, 02:10 AM
Me and my friends always say that Polnareff is that guy who make a character built around critical damage and sneak attacks, only to find out that the whole campaign is about constructs and undeads.

And in the end he makes it work, too. Doesn't matter if he only really had two real good hits in, those hits mattered.

Jean Pierre Polnareff, the greatest frenchmen to ever live.

Gastronomie
2016-11-01, 02:43 AM
The story of Stardust Crusaders seems boring because before it, there was absolutely nothing Araki could use as a guideline. It's the very first manga that's about "actually semi-intellectual superpower fighting". Araki had to fiddle his fingers about in the darkness for some time before he got a good grasp of how to create them right.

You'll definitely realize that the abilities of the protagonists in Part 4 and 5 are much more tricky and versatile, as well as fun to watch. And if you liked Joseph, chances are you'll like Josuke too, because the two are very similar to each other.

LaZodiac
2016-11-01, 02:48 AM
The story of Stardust Crusaders seems boring because before it, there was absolutely nothing Araki could use as a guideline. It's the very first manga that's about "actually semi-intellectual superpower fighting". Araki had to fiddle his fingers about in the darkness for some time before he got a good grasp of how to create them right.

You'll definitely realize that the abilities of the protagonists in Part 4 and 5 are much more tricky and versatile, as well as fun to watch. And if you liked Joseph, chances are you'll like Josuke too, because the two are very similar to each other.

This is also very true. Jojo is one of those series where the cliches you see in it are cliches because it exists in the first place.

How man series had a villain go "I, NAME HERE" as a way of talking about themselves before this series, and notedly how many had so AFTER we got "I, DIO!"

ryuplaneswalker
2016-11-02, 03:53 AM
Stardust Crusader's main problem was that That Dio was just underused. He is a great fantastic badguy..but shows up so little that it does really feel like a monster of the week story with no overarching plot sometimes.

Anonymouswizard
2016-11-02, 04:42 AM
Stardust Crusader's main problem was that That Dio was just underused. He is a great fantastic badguy..but shows up so little that it does really feel like a monster of the week story with no overarching plot sometimes.

I think he's appeared twice so far. At least in Phantom Blood he always managed to show up before Jonathan, hammily announce his latest plan or who his minions are, foil an attempt to kill him, and manage to hammily sneak off to do it all again in a couple of episodes (exact details may differ).

Kars may have been more threatening and more competent as a villain, but Doo's personality means that, when be bothers to show up, he's an awesome villain. I don't want 'generic shadow face guy', I want the villain who used his freezing powers to stop Ripple masters from destroying him and turned a whole village into zombies.

The Troubadour
2016-11-02, 07:25 AM
I'd say you don't want to risk overexposing an awesome character, though.
I think he shows up often enough, especially since whenever he shows up, we're reminded of how dangerous he already is (and in one of his last "shadowed" appearances, we get a glimpse of his Stand powers that whets the imagination).

Gastronomie
2016-11-02, 07:50 AM
DIO had little screen time on purpose for two reasons. Araki has stated these in an interview:

1) There's an old Japanese saying, "Hisuru ga Hana", roughly translated as "Anything hidden becomes a flower". It means that when something is concealed, imagination makes it look more beautiful than it actually is.
Araki thought that if DIO comes out too much, the readers will become used to him and not think of him as a menacing, shocking villain in the final showdown. Araki also hid the face of DIO with shadows for this reason, because he will look more ominous if his face is shrouded in darkness.

2) Araki thought that if DIO's face comes out too early, the readers would think "JUST F***ING SKIP TO THE DIO FIGHT ALREADY" instead of enjoying each filler episode (but Araki was forced to make filler episodes anyways, because Shonen Jump). So he wanted to make sure that DIO remains vague.

I too think the rarity of the scenes in which DIO appear help make him stand out when he appears (no pun intended). Even if his face is hidden, the scenes such as when he talks with Enya about how he thinks "to live is to overcome fear" are really fascinating and memorable.

NecroDancer
2016-11-03, 02:01 PM
When I watched stardust crusaders AI had kinda forgotten what DIO looked like, and when I finally saw him in all his glory I instantly was on the edge of my seat. DIO's rarity makes the episodes like "DIO's World" some of my favorite.

Rynjin
2016-11-04, 02:08 AM
The only problem with DIO is that he turned rock stupid all of a sudden during the fight with Jotaro. I can almost forgive the latter half since Jotaro literally punches his brains out, but the first part of that fight is just frustrating to watch. Not as frustrating as it is to watch Joseph lose to D'Arby because LITERALLY THE FIRST REAL THING YOU LEARNED HOW TO DO WITH HAMON WAS MAKE WATER STAY IN A CUP GOD DAMMIT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Where was I?

Oh yeah, DIO plays it about 1000% safer than he needed to just because Jotaro had to win somehow. After the first time Jotaro doesn't so much as twitch while time is stopped that should have ended it. It stretches disbelief just a little too far that DIO, a man defined almost entirely by his ARROGANCE is being such a wimp about fighting Jotaro.

And what happened to your eye lasers man?

Anonymouswizard
2016-11-04, 06:53 AM
DIO had little screen time on purpose for two reasons. Araki has stated these in an interview:

1) There's an old Japanese saying, "Hisuru ga Hana", roughly translated as "Anything hidden becomes a flower". It means that when something is concealed, imagination makes it look more beautiful than it actually is.
Araki thought that if DIO comes out too much, the readers will become used to him and not think of him as a menacing, shocking villain in the final showdown. Araki also hid the face of DIO with shadows for this reason, because he will look more ominous if his face is shrouded in darkness.

Maybe, but considering at this point he'd have to drain blood from the scenery and casually kill everyone in Cairo in order to reach my expectations, I'm bracing myself for disappointment. The reason he was such a good villain in Part 1 was because the part was compact, and so played to his strengths, and he was on screen enough that I could grow to love him as the entertainingly evil man he is. While I agree that DIO might not be as shocking as he is if I saw him every fourth episode, I'm fairly certain that he still would have been menacing. Heck, Xykon has proven that your villain can be comedic, threatening, and not shocking all at the same time (the last time I was shocked by him was during War and XPs, but that's because I'd taken him for someone who blundered through on power).

2) Araki thought that if DIO's face comes out too early, the readers would think "JUST F***ING SKIP TO THE DIO FIGHT ALREADY" instead of enjoying each filler episode (but Araki was forced to make filler episodes anyways, because Shonen Jump). So he wanted to make sure that DIO remains vague.

I don't know if the fights flow better in the manga, but at least while watching the anime I'm just bored of all these two-parter fights. Bast was entertaining, but the last time I actually enjoyed an episode was the Oingo Boingo brothers one, and that's because it was such a break from formula. I am thinking 'just skip to the ******* fight with DIO already!', it feels like every time they take a step closer to DIO the pace the plot moves slows down.

I too think the rarity of the scenes in which DIO appear help make him stand out when he appears (no pun intended). Even if his face is hidden, the scenes such as when he talks with Enya about how he thinks "to live is to overcome fear" are really fascinating and memorable.

I loved those scenes. I wanted more of those scenes. They appeared at just the right frequency, and showed me the DIO I want. But they stopped when Enya died (my favourite fight in the series so far, actually), and there's been nothing to replace them. Its been like 20 episodes and I'm suffering from DIO withdrawal!

Fri
2016-11-04, 06:57 AM
Yeah, the main problem is all those 2-parters. They all should be 1 parter, and the flow would be much better.

Gastronomie
2016-11-04, 08:13 AM
Well, the part 3 manga was really extended too much, because Shonen Jump.

And since the manga fans in Japan are like cultists, the anime staff decided to go with them and make sure everything in the original manga becomes animated, without any summarization or snipping-out at all.

That's why there are so many 2-parters in part 3. Animating everything in the original manga was more important than pacing, at least for the creators.

LaZodiac
2016-11-04, 09:50 AM
The only problem with DIO is that he turned rock stupid all of a sudden during the fight with Jotaro. I can almost forgive the latter half since Jotaro literally punches his brains out, but the first part of that fight is just frustrating to watch. Not as frustrating as it is to watch Joseph lose to D'Arby because LITERALLY THE FIRST REAL THING YOU LEARNED HOW TO DO WITH HAMON WAS MAKE WATER STAY IN A CUP GOD DAMMIT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Where was I?

Oh yeah, DIO plays it about 1000% safer than he needed to just because Jotaro had to win somehow. After the first time Jotaro doesn't so much as twitch while time is stopped that should have ended it. It stretches disbelief just a little too far that DIO, a man defined almost entirely by his ARROGANCE is being such a wimp about fighting Jotaro.

And what happened to your eye lasers man?

I'm actually going to disagree 100% on this, with a simple note.

Where did Dio's arrogance go? It went down the pit of his castle when Johnathan beat him with the beat of his blood and he was forced to sever his head from the rest of his body to survive, and then had to spend the time between then and the steam ship mulling over all the mistakes he did, and then spent nearly one hundred years trapped in a coffin under the sea, attached to his rival's body, thinking on those mistakes. Thinking on how even in his last moments Johnathan almost beat him, again, even with his windpipe destroyed.

Dio is not being cowardly with Jotaro, Dio is being realistically cautious when dealing with this family. I actually think it's REALLY good writing. Dio throws his knives at Jotaro and they peg him in all his vital points and he falls 50 feet and slams into the concrete and Dio goes "Okay so a real human would be dead but this is a Joestar so to be EXTRA SURE he's ****ING DEAD, I'm going to slice off his head. But to be ABSOLUTELY sure, I'm going to double and TRIPLE check that he is ACTUALLY dead because I know Johnathan fell off an entire building with me and broke his body and HE survived, and I've sent every badass I know at these people and they've ALL BEEN KILLED, so I can NOT take ANY CHANCES. I'm NOT LOSING AGAIN, EVER."

That's where his arrogance went. It was tempered into an steel resolved desire to never lose again. You can argue that maybe he's being TOO cautious...but if he had just approached Jotaro in that scene...JOTARO WOULD OF SNEAK ATTACKED HIM. If he had left Jotaro there assuming he had dead, HE WOULD BE WRONG. Dio was "cowardly" but he was also RIGHT TO BE.

I do agree that not using his vampire powers is VERY silly, but it makes sense given he is so proud in the power of his Stand that he wouldn't.