PDA

View Full Version : What's a Good character to do?

NecessaryWeevil
2016-06-21, 02:00 PM
So I'm going to speak in generalities because I don't know if my fellow players read this forum. Scroll to the end for questions I'm seeking input on.

I'm playing a new campaign with strangers. One of the other PCs is Evil and it's quickly become clear that they're just out for themselves, to the point that their actions are detrimental to the party. One of the other PCs called them on it but there's been no action taken.

I guess I'll see next session if this continues but I see no reason to expect it to change. Really, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to knife one of us during the next combat.

The other relevant info is that we're in a limited geographical area and currently without means to leave it. We're all first level and the party is small.

Of course the best option is to solve this Out of Character. If that doesn't work, I can walk (which might be the wisest but I worry about getting a bad rep in this new gaming community) or looking for an In Character solution.

The IC options I'm considering are:
1) Tell them to leave the party. Not sure if this will instigate PVP immediately or later on, from ambush.
2) Wait until the other shoe drops, keeping an eye on them as much as possible (but my Perception stinks so I don't know how well that would work).
3) Take them down pre-emptively (I figure my odds are roughly even, they'll probably kill me if I fail) and then...
3a) ...leave them tied up somewhere. But again, limited geographical area so it's not like this takes them out of the picture, and don't know if our DM would be pleased with me for splitting the party.
3b)...slit their throat. My impression so far is that the other party members wouldn't interfere.

The DM hasn't interfered so far, so not sure how they'd react.

So, questions:
Should I walk if an OOC discussion isn't satisfactory (or doesn't happen at all)?
Given the noted drawbacks to all the other options, is 3b a choice that a Good character can make and stay Good?

Red Fel
2016-06-21, 02:23 PM
So, questions:
Should I walk if an OOC discussion isn't satisfactory (or doesn't happen at all)?
Given the noted drawbacks to all the other options, is 3b a choice that a Good character can make and stay Good?

Is the campaign good? Can you resolve this ICly (e.g. by killing or abandoning this character) and know that the issue will not recur?

If the answer to both of those questions is no, walking is a fair choice. If the answer to either is yes, it may be worth sticking it out a bit more.

As for 3b, slitting a character's throat is very much murder, and generally not a Good act. Now, if he's a creature of absolute Evil - say, an Outsider or Undead - then it's not an Evil act to murder him, because arbitrary alignment is arbitrary. But if he's simply a bad person, you can only kill him in the right context, and summary execution generally isn't it.

Kill him when he acts against you? Sure. Hand him over to law enforcers for execution? Definitely. Tie him to a tree and break his fingers? (Not in a "torture" way, but in a "no more somatic or material components for you" sort of way.) Why not? But just outright slashing his throat, apropos of nothing?

https://i.makeagif.com/media/7-15-2015/IG5CTC.gif

Not a great plan.

NecessaryWeevil
2016-06-21, 02:40 PM
Kill him when he acts against you? Sure. Hand him over to law enforcers for execution? Definitely. Tie him to a tree and break his fingers? (Not in a "torture" way, but in a "no more somatic or material components for you" sort of way.) Why not? But just outright slashing his throat, apropos of nothing?

Not a great plan.

Good answers, thanks! In response to the above comments:
If he acts against me first, I expect to be dead.
He hasn't (yet) done anything to deserve execution or even imprisonment, and there are no available authorities. He's just endangering us and trying to take any resources he can get away with, and his attitude makes me suspect that any response to an attempt to force him to stop will be violent.
Crippling him seems little different from killing him, in that both options deny the player a viable character.

Not sure if the above invalidates any of your points, but...that's where I'm at.

Kish
2016-06-21, 02:47 PM
This is an OOC issue, not an IC issue. Talk to the DM privately about what they expect from the campaign.

If their answer is that they basically don't think about it, they just follow all the rules (I played with a DM like that once), drop out. You'll save yourself untold headaches.

If their answer is that they have a plan which involves you more or less cooperating, bring up your concerns. If they don't agree that the other PC is playing an inherently disruptive character, just play along and make sure you don't give the other PC an in-character justification for shanking you. Be ready to back up the other PC who commented on it, if it comes to a fight. If the evil PC attacks you after that, the DM will remember the concerns you expressed...or you'll know that they're incompetent and you can drop out without hesitation.

If their answer is that it's a free-for-all, decide if you want to play in that kind of campaign. If you do, retire or alignment shift that character; Good alignment is nothing but a handicap in that kind of campaign. I suggest Neutral Evil, it's a good combination of ruthlessness and flexibility.

Sian
2016-06-21, 02:48 PM
If its a gaming community where you'd get a rep for walking if the game is not to your taste (with you simply saying that it doesn't cater what your looking for, not stomping off slamming the door and burning bridges), I'd say the community is not worth your time in the first place.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-06-21, 03:29 PM
If you don't like a free-for-all campaign, don't bother, and just walk if it appears to be going in that direction.
If you're up for it, you can prepare. At level 2, you can take a dip in some pvp-enabled class, like Crusader. It won't cripple your build any (if you had one in mind), and you'll be able to defend yourself, if needed. If the evil character is a rogue-type, maybe Warblade is better (Uncanny Dodge at level 2, and Sapphire Nightmare Blade allows you to target flat-footed AC, every now and then).

nedz
2016-06-21, 03:41 PM
Are you having fun ? - is the only important question.

As to your IC options: turning the other PCs into friends and allies is the best bet in the long run. Then: when the evil guy turns on the party you will know where everyone stands - if that doesn't force the issue in, and of, itself.