PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Albums: Dust'em off!

Zigwat
2016-06-21, 03:08 PM
Alright, so we got a record player, yay... So that meant we needed to get some Vinyl Records! Well there's the question now, isn't there? What albums were good enough to get on record? What was awesome enough to own in vinyl form? Well, to me, the greatest age of music was the 90's. More specifically, 90's Alternative Rock, when some of the most experimental rock came about and blew the minds of people who are now around 30 years old.

So what albums did I end up getting? Put simply, two of my favorite bands of all time: The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Tool. Their greatest albums respectively: Californication and Lateralus.

So now I have them in vinyl, and I wouldn't have it any other way, but further down the road, I will be wanting to get something else. So what would that be? Well, a few ideas came to mind:

The Offspring - Americana
Greenday - Dookie
Nirvana - Nevermind
Radiohead - OK Computer
Foo Fighters - The Color and the Shape
A Perfect Circle - Mer De Nom
Deftones - White Pony
System of a Down - System of a Down
Tenacious D - Tenacious D
They Might Be Giants - John Henry
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile

That's just to name a few. I know that my taste in music is not yours, but I am curious as to what music you would buy on Vinyl. By all means, tell me.

Eldan
2016-06-21, 03:47 PM
My brother and I inherited our father's collection from the 60s and 70s. I don't care much about music, though, so he has it currently. A lot of Pink Floyd, Queen, The Doors and so on.

Peelee
2016-06-21, 03:57 PM
A friend's spouse works at 2nd and Charles. They done got me an old 8mm projector, an 8mm film of the moon landing, and a vynil recording of excerpts of the moon landing, from launch to return. Both recordings official NASA releases back in 1969. Another friend got me a record player so I could listen to it.

Only record I've bought for myself so far has been Iron Maiden's Book of Souls. Though I'd love to get some more Maiden and Priest.

Also, many years ago, I bought my best friend's wife a Police album on vinyl, even though they didn't have a record player at the time, for two reasons: Her birthday was coming up and it was her favorite band, and there was a huge sticker on it saying "DRM FREE." Marketing guys deserved the money, I felt.

JoshL
2016-06-21, 05:25 PM
I've never stopped buying records, or cds for that matter. Tapes I ditched and never understood the hipster resurgance of, but whatever. Anyway, over the years I've gained a pretty good collection. I'm not sure how I feel about the constant reissues of late, but as long as the used record stores still have bargains, I'll be happy! My tastes are all over the place, from classical to noise, to pop and folk, to metal and electronica and everything inbetween. Some of my favorites from my collection:

Low - Secret Name (one of the records that is immensely improved by the harmonic distortion added by vinyl. It is beautiful and even if Low isn't your thing, grab this if you see it and give it a listen. You'll see what I mean)
Tangerine Dream - Legend (my favorite film score ever)
Black Light District (Coil) - A Thousand Lights in a Darkened Room
New Order - Ceremony/In A Lonely Place 7"
Joy Division - this crazy old Italian bootleg box set, lots of live stuff and Warsaw demos
Nurse With Wound - An Awkward Pause (also She and Me Fall Together in Free Death sounds particularly good)
Joni Mitchell - Mingus (Charles Mingus compositions, Mitchell vocals and lyrics!)
Sulfur - Water Song 7" (obscure NYC goth/cabaret/circus music band. They're wild!)
Haysi Fantayzee - Battle Hymns For Children Singing (crazy new wave band, man I love them!)
Aube - Cerebral Disturbance (my favorite noise artist ever, structural, ambient, but not afraid to get abrasive and harsh)
Asmus Tietchens - Ptomaine (3lp reconstructed from a lock groove compilation, each track ends in a lock groove. Some get annoying quick, but others you can listen to for hours on end)
Strawbs - Grave New World (if you were to own one album by this prog-folk band....)
Sleep - Dopesmoker (stoner metal, the first metal album I bought!)
2001 Soundtrack - with some wonderful György Ligeti tracks. I love Ligeti so much!
Angels of Light - Praise Your Name 7" (a ton of Swans stuff too, but man, this single sounds so good)

Tons of other stuff too, and a few of my friends' releases. Wish I had the money to put something out on vinyl, but not there yet. I love records!

Moak
2016-06-22, 07:45 AM
A triple disc live of Eagles
A red vynil Phantom of the Opera single by Iron Maiden
Thriller, by M.Jackson
C'è chi dice no, Vasco Rossi
4 stagioni, Vivaldi
Ouvertures, Rossini

Those are the 33 I use the most. Some mine, some of my brother, some of my father. But the vynil I use more are NOT music. Are fable ... disc-book? I don't know how to call them.

DyerMaker
2016-06-28, 09:53 AM
Huge music fan. Tons of vinyl. I cannot list my entire library, so I'll take some pics of my favs and pop back in. What's currently on the turntable? Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti.

JoshL
2016-06-30, 08:30 PM
Was just listening to tindersticks live, another album that really benefits from the rich harmonic distortion of the medium. That said, it's so good that I really wanted to share it (if you ever see the record, HIGHLY recommend grabbing it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_X_l87EaBI