PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder newbie playtest

Drellen Gales
2016-06-21, 05:35 PM
Each of you is having this dream seperately. When you wake up, you will have no memory of it.

You see a table in a dark room. A woman's voice says "Approach, my child and choose where your" but you cannot hear the rest. You see on the table there is placed a crystal ball and five cards:

an outstretched hand holding Fire

a Dagger in a heart

an unbreakable Shield

two bloody Fists

a simple Axe

In the crystal ball you see a hooded woman looking skyward with no pupils. Her hands are almost by her sides with her palms facing upwards.

jhonperu
2016-06-22, 02:50 PM
Each of you is having this dream seperately. When you wake up, you will have no memory of it.

You see a table in a dark room. A woman's voice says "Approach, my child and choose where your" but you cannot hear the rest. You see on the table there is placed a crystal ball and five cards:

an outstretched hand holding Fire

a Dagger in a heart

an unbreakable Shield

two bloody Fists

a simple Axe

In the crystal ball you see a hooded woman looking skyward with no pupils. Her hands are almost by her sides with her palms facing upwards.

has anyone picked yet?

Rovinpiper1
2016-06-22, 04:27 PM
No.

Hustler will pick first, followed by me.

Or I guess you could rank the cards from most to least desirable in a spoiler box.

Rovinpiper1
2016-06-22, 06:53 PM
Okay, I'm impatient.

Cards choices ranked:

1) two bloody Fists

2) an unbreakable Shield (How can you tell from the picture that it's unbreakable anyway?)

3) a simple Axe

4) an outstretched hand holding Fire

5) a Dagger in a heart

Drellen Gales
2016-06-22, 09:06 PM
Fists to Rovin.

Jhon, you're up, followed by Xho.

The email update didn't work for this forum and I didn't know it was active. I was about to tell Rovin to go and he already listed his in order. Hustler, you have a green light. Pick whenever. Everyone else goes in order.

No public recruiting, but if Molan or Wotaze want in, all they have to do is roll a 20 and pick.

hustlertwo
2016-06-23, 05:56 AM
I'll snag the axe, I think. Fire tempts, but premade on a mage might be tougher than on a melee type.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-23, 05:57 AM
I'll snag the axe, I think. Fire tempts, but premade on a mage might be tougher than on a melee type.

Oh, I forgot to mention.

Hard Mode.

hustlertwo
2016-06-23, 05:58 AM
I don't think I follow. You saying it's a tougher character to use?

Drellen Gales
2016-06-23, 06:11 AM
Nope. The game in general. Axe to Hustler.

Next up is Jhon and Xho.

jhonperu
2016-06-23, 07:20 AM
my bad ok ill take the flame in the hand... ill be the piromancer i mean whatever

Drellen Gales
2016-06-23, 07:23 AM
Fire to Jhon. You're up Xhosant

Xhosant
2016-06-23, 07:48 AM
Can I take the orb? :smalltongue:

Failing that, which I probably will, i'll take the dagger!

Drellen Gales
2016-06-23, 07:51 AM
And Dagger to Xho. I'll pm your combat abilities hopefully before noon and I'll post the first narrative by this evening.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-23, 12:56 PM
One of you has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

If you haven't gotten a PM from me, you're it.

Xhosant
2016-06-23, 04:19 PM
Acknowledged and received. Now, what's next?

Drellen Gales
2016-06-23, 04:45 PM
You all wake up at about the same time. No one has any memories, but can speak in the same language. You make up nicknames for each other, as one of you has more scars on his Fists than hairs on his head. Another has a Dagger tattood over his right eye. The only light is coming from the gentleman who mumbled some gibberish and his boot gave off light as if it was on Fire. Another man sleeps under a Shield and you realize you cannot wake him. In the far corner is a man with an Axe, and it looks a little too big for the room.

The room is covered in heavy dust that has been recently and heavily disturbed. There is a stone bed frame and large pile of dust. There is a stone end table near the bed.

No food, no water, no gear. You see light under the doorway and smell smoke.

we won't leave this room until tomorrow. This is a good time to chatter amongst yourselves (rp being rewarded) and collecting information

Xhosant
2016-06-23, 06:19 PM
'Dagger' starts looking around for anything of use, under the pile of dust in particular. "Boot's an odd choice of light source", he says, as if in an ice-breaker.

Rovinpiper1
2016-06-23, 06:22 PM
"Twinkletoes, does that little trick with your boots cause the room to smell like smoke, or am I right to be worried?"

Uglyhands walks to the door, his head turning warily, keeping an eye on his fellow amnesiacs. He lays a hand against the door, feeling for heat.

"Is this door the only way out of here?"

hustlertwo
2016-06-23, 09:11 PM
Axe twitches and grunts in his unconscious state.

...meat...

He stirs, lifts his head, then slowly stands as he takes in the surroundings.

Dreamt I was chopping meat forever. Wake up, all I see is meat around me. Hope dream was not prophetic, for your sakes.

He smacks his lips.

Water. The meat dream always makes me thirsty. Not sure why I remember that, since I can't remember who I am or why I'm here. But I know for sure I had that dream before. So, let's chop this door down and get some nice cool water. And maybe find some meat, because I am hungry.

He lets the menacing axe dangle near the floor, swinging back and forth like the pendulum of a clock.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-24, 05:12 AM
Keep asking questions. It's six a.m. est and I'm holding you guys from opening the door until a) six a.m. tomorrow or b) the 3/4 characters agree in character to open the door.

Xhosant
2016-06-24, 08:37 AM
"I'd open the door more cautiously, if I were you", says Dagger. "Got a feeling whoever put us in here won't be happy to know we're out."

Dagger then approaches the door and tries to figure if it's locked.

jhonperu
2016-06-24, 09:14 AM
i wake with a horrid headache as if my mind is full of information non of which is personal, as if i have lost something important but i cant remember what it is. it is dark and almost as if just a reflex i begin to wave my hands in a pattern that seems all too familiar and say a few words. just like that my head felt a little less cluttered. how ever i didnt realize i had put an incantation on my shoes instead... i look at myself and see i am wearing a robe and caring a device of some sort.

"i better be careful handling this" i whisper to myself

i take off my glowing boot realize im filthy and snap my fingers and my robes begin to shake as the dirt and dust fall to the ground.

"thats better... now what do we have here... oh my well arent you a big fellow"

"you fellows see if the man under the shield is alive will ya and you big fellow help me look around. im sure we can find some clues as how we got here"

i make my way to the end table next to the bed.

"hey big fellow could you check the bed? a bit too heavy lifting for me it seems"

me being practically skin and bones mostly.

jhonperu
2016-06-24, 09:25 AM
i check the end table for stuffs

hustlertwo
2016-06-24, 09:50 AM
The man with the axe looks about and realizes he is the big fellow being addressed by the man with the glowing boot. Call me Cleaver. I think maybe someone called me that before. Or maybe that was something they told me to do, to go and "cleave her". But either way, it works for now.

He yawns and attempts to stretch, only to find his knuckles scraping ceiling.

Room's short, like you, Twinkletoes. Not sure if it's a cell, or a shelter. But not a place for good people to live. Means either we don't live here or we aren't good people.

Unable to tell which is which, he lifts the bed with a grunt for the smaller man to investigate underneath. As he does, he looks at the walls and ceiling, to see what they are made of and if escape is possible by hacking into them rather than using the door itself.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-24, 09:55 AM
The man with the axe looks about and realizes he is the big fellow being addressed by the man with the glowing boot. Call me Cleaver. I think maybe someone called me that before. Or maybe that was something they told me to do, to go and "cleave her". But either way, it works for now.

He yawns and attempts to stretch, only to find his knuckles scraping ceiling.

Room's short, like you, Twinkletoes. Not sure if it's a cell, or a shelter. But not a place for good people to live. Means either we don't live here or we aren't good people.

Unable to tell which is which, he lifts the bed with a grunt for the smaller man to investigate underneath. As he does, he looks at the walls and ceiling, to see what they are made of and if escape is possible by hacking into them rather than using the door itself.

So the bed is just a stone frame. Pile of dust where a mattress should have been that I think Dagger already went through. Good job on sharing information though. Don't know if you've noticed, but everyone is getting ninja notes from me. Share what you want to but I reward teamwork. Probably

Whoever is playing with the door, you notice it was locked from your side. Lot of disturbed dust near the door makes you think you all worked very hard as a team to get the door closed so one of you could lock it.

I'll be rolling your fort saves for hunger and thirst and that kind of thing. And that's the only exit. Role play amongst yourselves.

Rovinpiper1
2016-06-24, 03:34 PM
"This door is made of stone. The handle is hot. That combined with the light underneath the door and the smell of smoke, suggests there is something fiery on the other side. A dragon, for all we know. Let's only go this way if we can find no other way out."

hustlertwo
2016-06-24, 06:05 PM
I agree. If the door locks from the inside, must be somethin' out there we did not want bunking down with us.

Cleaver starts gently tapping the walls and floor with his axe, listening for any hollow spots where a trapdoor or hidden spot might be.

Rovinpiper1
2016-06-24, 06:27 PM
"Good idea, Cleaver. Gloworm, or Twinkletoes, or whatever we're calling you; If you stand or sit your scrawny butt on my shoulders, you can check the ceiling. Maybe there's a hidden door or a weak point."

Drellen Gales
2016-06-25, 06:02 AM
"Good idea, Cleaver. Gloworm, or Twinkletoes, or whatever we're calling you; If you stand or sit your scrawny butt on my shoulders, you can check the ceiling. Maybe there's a hidden door or a weak point."

There isn't. The walls are solid stone, like the room was cut into a preexisting rock.

I'm going to assume the group wanders into the next room. It's the same width as the bedroom you were in, but longer. The door you walk through is in the center of that wall. To your left and in a corner is an old, stone workbench. There are glass vials and tubes and spider webs on it.

Going clockwise, on the left wall is a forge. The fire in it is roaring. In front of the fire are two anvils (one big and one small), and what looks like a tool locker.

Continuing clockwise in the far left corner is a book case with what's left of books on it.

Directly opposite the door you walked in is another stone work bench and on the far right side is another door.

I'll post a pic sometime today.

hustlertwo
2016-06-25, 06:10 AM
Cleaver goes to the tool locker and pokes around to see what else is inside.

Hopefully we can find more weapons. One just feels like...not enough. So would three, but at least it'd be a start.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-25, 06:17 AM
Here's the room you were just in:

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah6/drellengales/Mobile%20Uploads/4EE26C90-92FB-4E0A-BF58-E3770AB0F4EC_zpstvn6ewbz.jpg

Here's the room you are in now:

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah6/drellengales/Mobile%20Uploads/8280AFAE-2B4E-45CD-8309-8631C15E3CE4_zpsvjccro20.jpg

I'll get to what each of you find by noon

Drellen Gales
2016-06-25, 09:11 AM
There looks to be some burning backpacks in the forge.

Xhosant
2016-06-25, 10:05 AM
Picking a tool from the toolbox, Dagger tries to get them out. Sounds like theirs. Now, at least.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-25, 12:09 PM
There is a masterwork set of black smithing gear in the locker.

hustlertwo
2016-06-25, 12:52 PM
Cleaver helps Dagger with fetching the packs, then peers inside to see what has survived. He also picks up the tools, books, and vials trying to see if anything feels right or jogs a memory.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-25, 01:14 PM
The backpacks are super on fire. You have no water to put them out. I imagine you grab some masterwork tongs to retrieve the bags from the fire and stamp out the fire on the packs, but they're burnt beyond usefulness. What isn't burnt to a crisp (disintegrates during stomping) can't hold anything. One of the backpacks had extra straps as if it held a large axe. You find the charred remains of six adventurers' adventuring gear.

You can have 5lbs of empty glass vials with no stoppers. How do you carry them?

There is a list of what looks like alchemical formulae chiseled into that particular workbench.

Rovinpiper1
2016-06-25, 02:13 PM
Uglyhands scans the ceiling and then approaches the door into the next room. He slowly walks an arc in front of the door seeing as much of the next room as he can without stepping into it. He assesses the door itself. Can it be closed and locked?

"Be ready to retreat back to the bedchamber and lock the door again if we need to.

Those blacksmith tools look like the best weapons available to us.

We were chased into the bed chamber by something terrifying, I gather. Why didn't we bring our weapons with us?

The packs must have been ours and the enemy must have fired them. Why? If he was smart enough to understand that they were our equipment, he must surely have been smart enough to be able to use our equipment.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-25, 02:24 PM
Uglyhands scans the ceiling and then approaches the door into the next room. He slowly walks an arc in front of the door seeing as much of the next room as he can without stepping into it. He assesses the door itself. Can it be closed and locked?

"Be ready to retreat back to the bedchamber and lock the door again if we need to.

Those blacksmith tools look like the best weapons available to us.

We were chased into the bed chamber by something terrifying, I gather. Why didn't we bring our weapons with us?

The packs must have been ours and the enemy must have fired them. Why? If he was smart enough to understand that they were our equipment, he must surely have been smart enough to be able to use our equipment.

To clarify, Uglyhands is the only one without weapons. You guys might want to take a minute to describe yourselves in your own words. You have some artistic license when making things up. EDIT: just pm your character descriptions to me for approval. Instead of rp exp, I'll reward with memories.

Near the door you're looking at is a purple splash mark on the wall. Under it is broken glass. There are some symbols on the door, and for some reason, it's almost clean compared to the oceans of dust in and on every other thing in this place.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-25, 05:43 PM
And while we're here, everyone roll a d20 for initiative.

Combat has been triggered, BUT we're going back in time a bit. It's 630pm est on the 25th of June. Combat will start at 630pm June 26. Anyone who hasn't rolled initiative by then will be given a 1.

You still have the chance to explore the two rooms. I've given general descriptions of what is in the rooms, but most of the things haven't been investigated.

It's been about twenty minutes since you have woken up. No food, no water, no clue who you are or why you're down here. The way in might not be the way out, but it would be a good place to start.

Xhosant
2016-06-25, 07:26 PM
Dagger will try to make sense of the etchings, just in case this is helpful. Since nothing of any use survived the fire, he'll ignore those for now.

hustlertwo
2016-06-25, 09:11 PM
[roll0]

The rest will come in the morning.

Xhosant
2016-06-25, 09:28 PM
Oy, forgot: [roll0]

Rovinpiper1
2016-06-26, 05:27 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

Drellen Gales
2016-06-26, 05:46 PM
So I've missed my deadline and I apologize. Working late on my Friday, not done yet and exhausted. I have tomorrow off so combat will start then.

MAYBE YOU COULD USE THIS TIME TO CONTINUE INVESTIGATING THE ROOM/YOUR PREDICAMENT. OR SOMETHING

Rovinpiper1
2016-06-27, 03:40 AM
"Hey guys, maybe we should explore this room a little further. I wonder if there is anything under the anvils, or behind the workbenches, or maybe under the toolbox. Let's see if any of these things can be moved.

Uglyhands gets to work on the furnishings, Testing to see what can be moved.

Xhosant
2016-06-27, 05:11 AM
Seeing no harm, dagger lends him his hands and eyes.

hustlertwo
2016-06-27, 05:58 AM
Cleaver also decides to help, pushing and pulling on things to see what shifts.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-27, 06:29 AM
Specifically, which furnishings?

The room looks like this.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah6/drellengales/Mobile%20Uploads/4EE26C90-92FB-4E0A-BF58-E3770AB0F4EC_zpstvn6ewbz.jpg

The anvils and locker have been completely investigated, the bookshelf, what looks like an alchemy workbench and another workbench have not.

There is a purple splash mark near one of the doors with glass underneath

Xhosant
2016-06-27, 06:30 AM
Everything.

EVERYTHING!

(in the other room, though)

Xhosant
2016-06-27, 06:48 AM
Ok, then. Dagger will inspect the etchings on the alchemy table, then the splash.

Rovinpiper1
2016-06-27, 09:59 AM
Uglyhands will attempt to move the bookcase away from the wall. If that doesn't work, he will remove all of the items from the bookshelves. He'll stack them on something that's been completely searched, like the locker and the anvils. If he runs out of room there he'll place them on the floor.

Once that's done he'll move on to the workbench. He'll look in any cupboards, then try to move the whole bench to see what is behind or underneath it.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-27, 10:41 AM
LET'S GET READY TO COOOMMMBBAAAATTT!!!

The closed door in the southeast corner has newly glowing runes. A green tornado of leaves and moss appears and at its center, a six foot gorilla with a spear in one hand and missing his other.

He roars, looks down at the stump on his left arm, stares dead into Cleaver's eyes and throws the spear.

It hits Cleaver in the stomach so hard that it's sticking out like a tree branch. CLEAVER CANNOT TAKE ANOTHER HIT LIKE THAT AGAIN.

Turn order:
ape
CLEAVER
Uglyhands
Dagger
Fire

Ape, but bigger, angrier and missing left hand: https://imgur.com/gallery/toVoADc

BATTLE MAP (wanna see something cool?)

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah6/drellengales/Mobile%20Uploads/EE5EDD76-A44D-4D5A-AE09-D7CFF8A0B766_zpszcf7k5i1.png

Rovinpiper1
2016-06-27, 01:57 PM
"Cleaver! Fall back to the bedchamber!

Uglyhands closes with the ape, charging if possible, and hits it so hard that it forgets that it's in a fight.

Xhosant
2016-06-27, 05:15 PM
Dagger is not so silly as to charge. He subtly falls in after Uglyhands, looking to stay out of sight, only aproaching to attack if he sees a good opening.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-27, 06:04 PM
Still waiting on Cleaver

hustlertwo
2016-06-28, 03:46 AM
The air whooshes out of the big man as the spear slams into him. Ngghhh....that answers some questions.

However, he somehow manages to stay on his feet, and does not appear overly alarmed at his new protuberance.

Before I step out, want to make sure Mad Monkey gets his toy back.

With a wince, he slides the spear out through the ragged hole in his mail and his flesh, and hurls it back at the ape. He then takes the opportunity to move out of the room, or at least as far as he can with a move action.

Rovinpiper1
2016-06-28, 08:58 AM
Should I have included an attack roll? I guess I'll put one here:

[roll0]

Drellen Gales
2016-06-28, 09:16 AM
Time out while I calculate stuff.

I can do the rolls myself, but it saves time if you do it. Also, please put your character name in your signature block as I forget who's who.

Still working.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-28, 09:59 AM
Dagger [roll0]
Cleaver [roll1]

Edit: and I just figured out you cannot post a new roll in an edited roll that didn't previously have one.

Few more bumps need smoothed out.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-28, 10:31 AM
Last combat map:

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah6/drellengales/Mobile%20Uploads/EE5EDD76-A44D-4D5A-AE09-D7CFF8A0B766_zpszcf7k5i1.png

Current combat map:

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah6/drellengales/Mobile%20Uploads/843D90E4-0FFA-4769-BC1A-04E6320FB252_zpslgi4e21t.png

Ape tossed the spear in the surprise round and he won initiative so he's going again. You all hear Fire's gibberish from behind you. The ape responds to this by grabbing what's left of the vial under the purple splash mark and hurl it at fire. It hits him in the chest and a purple, smoky cloud briefly envelops Fire's upper torso. He gags once before falling over. He moves a step or two back while thumping on his chest (as best he can with one hand).

Cleaver is up first, throwing a spear that is too big for him. He manages to hit the ape, but it wasn't the solid hit he was hoping for. It glances off the ape's neck with a little blood to show for the hit.

Fists can't charge because of the anvil and workbench between him and his enemy. He does gracefully leap over them though.

The ape's long arm takes a swing at Uglyhands as he closes in, due to the immense creature's long reach. The acrobat plants two hands on the ape's arm, pinwheels under it in an assisted backflips and barely manages to connect a kick to the ape's jaw. Momentum wasn't where you wanted to knock him out, but he did manage to concuss the beast. He's looking around like he forgot he was in a fight.

Dagger sees an opportunity in the stunned beasts eyes, briefly considers putting his rapier into the ape's ribs before deciding the femoral artery is more accessible. He moves to Uglyhands' side and stabs the ape in the thigh, watching blood spurt in an arc on the wall... and, wow. Had to use two hands to pull the rapier out.

Everyone roll initiative and what you plan to do this round. You too, new guy.

Xhosant
2016-06-28, 11:47 AM
[roll0]

Moving to surround the ape, if possible. Ready an attack until such a time as the other femoral artery is exposed, too.

thedanster7000
2016-06-28, 02:47 PM
"Who the hell are you guys!?"

Initiative [roll0]
I fire my crossbow.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-28, 02:51 PM
"Who the hell are you guys!?"

Initiative [roll0]
I fire my crossbow.

At who do you fire your crossbow? A very important detail, especially with the amnesia and everything.

Fire seems to be suffering memory loss. Again.

thedanster7000
2016-06-28, 03:14 PM
At who do you fire your crossbow? A very important detail, especially with the amnesia and everything.

Fire seems to be suffering memory loss. Again.

Fire fires the crossbow at the ape, aiming for the head.

Yeah, sorry, new to this game so I'm not 100% on what's happening, how it's run, etc. I'll be more specific.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-28, 03:21 PM
Fire fires the crossbow at the ape, aiming for the head.

Yeah, sorry, new to this game so I'm not 100% on what's happening, how it's run, etc. I'll be more specific.

I don't even know all of those things.

Rovinpiper1
2016-06-28, 05:10 PM
"Everyone rush him! Keep the pressure on we've got him now!

Uglyhands' ugly hands blur as he delivers a rapid series of blows to the dire ape.

Attack roll: [roll1]

I don't even know what I should roll for damage.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-28, 05:19 PM
Not knowing your damage or hp is exactly the point. How many hit points do you have just reading these words? If a crazy dude at Home Depot picks up a sledgehammer, how many hits could you take before you were in trouble? You've got a pocket knife, know something about organs and his own craziness distracts him from the fight. Should that mean this is an easy fight? The only thing you know for sure is that this guy can kill you and possibly others. In real life the choices are more important than the numbers.

hustlertwo
2016-06-29, 06:09 AM
Cleaver hangs back, steeling himself to chop the beast in two if it comes near him.

Readied to attack if the beast is in range, init is [roll0]

Drellen Gales
2016-06-29, 06:57 AM
The acrobat kicks the ape in his bleeding leg wound, waits for him to wince and punches with all of his might into the beast's solar plexus. The Ape drops to the ground and a tornado of leaves and moss appears before vanishing. The ape's body, blood and spear are gone. Besides a hole in one of your torsos, there is no evidence he was ever there.

The door out of the workshop is slightly opened. If the group feels like this room is sufficiently explored, you can open the next door.

Xhosant
2016-06-29, 12:36 PM
Dagger peers through, cautiously.

thedanster7000
2016-06-29, 01:28 PM
"Let's go and find out what in the hells is happening here," Fire says to the rest of the group, gesturing at the door.

Rovinpiper1
2016-06-29, 02:14 PM
"Did someone yell, 'Who the hell are you guys?!'

What's going on."

Uglyhands counts everyone in the bedchamber, the forge room, and whoever he can see in the next room, trying to determine if someone new just appeared.

"Cleaver, are you alright? Does anyone have bandages? Is anyone else hurt?

Drellen Gales
2016-06-29, 06:03 PM
"Did someone yell, 'Who the hell are you guys?!'

What's going on."

Uglyhands counts everyone in the bedchamber, the forge room, and whoever he can see in the next room, trying to determine if someone new just appeared.

"Cleaver, are you alright? Does anyone have bandages? Is anyone else hurt?

If it wasn't clear, that was Fire. Wonder what just happened there?

hustlertwo
2016-06-29, 06:36 PM
Cleaver idly fingers the hole in his sternum.

Well, this nasty bit of mess poking out looks like some of my guts. So short term fine, long term a bit of something might be needed. Magic, bandages, or at least good cheap whiskey.

A flash of images assaults the injured man. He drops to a knee from the rush of memories into his empty mind.

Bookshelf... he manages, almost squeaking with the effort.

Rovinpiper1
2016-06-29, 09:05 PM
"Cleaver!"

Uglyhands rushes to Cleaver's side. Ready to catch him and ease him to the ground, should he collapse.

"If no one has anything better, let's rip up my cloak and patch Cleaver up with that. Dagger, bring your pig-sticker over here and help me out."

"Fire, did you get hit with something? Are you alright? Talk to me."

"Does anyone remember an elderly elf and a crown of thorns?"

Xhosant
2016-06-30, 06:08 AM
"I do remember an elf, but he was sneaky and annoying, not elderly. And I'm not too sure 'I' remember it", says Dagger. "As for a bookcase, I got something. What did you guys remember?"

He comes close to help with the bandage-making.

Rovinpiper1
2016-06-30, 06:58 AM
"I've got nothing on the bookcase. Sorry.

The elf apparently found the crown in this room. We were all present. So where the hell is he now?

Cleaver and Sleepyhead over there apparently started the fire in the forge. Never mind what Billy Joel told you. So Sleepyhead appears to be a friend of ours. We need to figure out what we're doing with him. If we take him with us we can stop anything from wandering along and cutting his throat while he sleeps. On the other hand, if we run into someone too strong for us, then Sleepyhead would be better off where he is right now.

Also, the crossbow. I think maybe we found it here. Dagger and Fire, you were talking about it. If you brought it with you, why would you feel the need to discuss it here?

Once Cleaver is bandaged, Uglyhands will go to Fire and check on him. He doesn't seem to be answering to his "name".

Is the shield large enough that we can carry him on it?

Xhosant
2016-06-30, 07:06 AM
"Well, I seem to 'recall' being someone else. My body was leaner, and I had a ring of a rat skull. I was in here,"
Was 'the workshop' here?
"instructing some skeletons on how to set up an enchanting table. A woman and a dwarf were watching, I think I didn't much like the dwarf and vice versa. The woman, though, I think I cared for. There was a sneaky elf, too. And there was a pile of books on the anvil, dropping them one at a time opened a door before they rearranged themselves. I was gonna cover the door with a bookcase..."

Dagger looks around for said books and bookcase.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-30, 07:13 AM
The workshop is the room with the forge, two anvils, two mysterious workbenches and a bookcase. You fought a one-handed gorilla armed (lol) with a spear there. The bedroom has a stone bed frame, an end table and a sleepy dude with a shield.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-30, 07:24 AM
And there is a bookcase with books on it in the corner. I think Uglyhands inspected it earlier.

Xhosant
2016-06-30, 07:31 AM
Dagger walks to the not-alchemy table and clears it (possibly violently) to see if he spots 'familiar' features on it. He then starts dropping the books like in the flashback, from the bookcase and anywhere else, just in case.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-30, 09:11 AM
Dagger walks to the not-alchemy table and clears it (possibly violently) to see if he spots 'familiar' features on it. He then starts dropping the books like in the flashback, from the bookcase and anywhere else, just in case.

All of the books are on the bookcase. When thrown, they slowly float back to where they were. They seem to be in alphabetical order and have similar covers. The pages have long since turned to dust.

You have no idea what the titles of the books mean. They're generally one or two words and the words aren't something you (you specifically) are familiar with.

Xhosant
2016-06-30, 09:46 AM
Dagger sighs. Unless he can recall the order in which he dropped the books from his flashback, this seemed like a no-go. Or, maybe they can just ram the bookcase out of the way? He turns to Cleaver for that.

thedanster7000
2016-06-30, 10:27 AM
"I've been splashed with something, I think it might be Bloodmind poison..."

Xhosant
2016-06-30, 10:42 AM
"What's that? And how do you know, are you an alchemist of some kind?"

hustlertwo
2016-06-30, 01:00 PM
Cleaver shakes his head, trying to make sense of the images that rendered him almost unconscious for a moment. I remember being...pretty. But I have never been pretty, and if anyone ever called me pretty I would slit them from one end to the other. But yet, I was quite the looker. I think I was the woman in your dreams. And there is a door behind the book shelf, to an armory. Or at least there was going to be. But I do not know he we get in there.

thedanster7000
2016-06-30, 01:35 PM
"I can't... remember. It's strange, perhaps I was, am, an alchemist. I know it has something to do with memory; perhaps that's the source of my amnesia..."

Rovinpiper1
2016-06-30, 02:14 PM
"I take it bloodmind poison, or whatever you called it is the purple stuffed splashed on the wall over there, and you were hit with it when the ape picked up the remnants of the beaker lying on the floor.

It does make you wonder: Was our departed, simian friend stunned by my lousy, glancing kick, or was it the poison? Not that know that helps us out in any way whatsoever.

"

Drellen Gales
2016-06-30, 02:15 PM
The plot thickens!

And I'm swamped at work. Role play well enough and I'll reward you with memories. At least one of you is getting one as of right now.

Xhosant
2016-06-30, 02:16 PM
Dagger ponders...

"It would seem we either remember things not our own, or are not who we were. In either case, not memories of 'ours', as it were. Fire, check the scrawls on that bench, I'm thinking you can make some sense of them. Cleaver, get yourself in shape, I might need those muscles and axe of yours to make our way into the armory."

Then, Dagger racks his brains to remember his flashback's 'password', as it were, of books.

hustlertwo
2016-06-30, 06:27 PM
Hmph. Either way, one of our past selves has some explaining to do when and if this is ever sorted out. Try your hand at opening the shelf through guile. If it fails, it will fall by my axe. A littl disemboweling is not enough to stop me from getting some good chops in.

Drellen Gales
2016-06-30, 09:24 PM
Just so I know, who is where in the room doing what?

So we know there's possibly a hidden door behind the bookcase. It's stone so an axe might not be the best answer, if only because you might need that axe later.

I'll give Cleaver some hit points back (he needs them!) if you can give me a good sounding plan to dress his wound.

Did anyone not get a flashback?

There seems to be a mystery surrounding this place and how you got here.

Drellen Gales
2016-07-01, 08:30 AM
Xho is on to something, but if you guys can't solve this one by the afternoon, we'll chalk it up to too hard and it will solve itself (minus some treasures).

thedanster7000
2016-07-01, 09:51 AM
Yes, I'll see if I can discern the bench's markings... Wait! It's coming back to me... Bloodmind... Bloodmind... Yes! It does cause partial amnesia, but it only lasts for a few weeks; it seems out memories shall return to us eventually." Fire moves over to the bench and tries to decipher the markings.

thedanster7000
2016-07-01, 10:00 AM
Ah, yes, they're recipies, carved into the wood... Aha! A recipe for a lock-eating acid, how apt... Let's see; Wormwood, Elderberries, Sage... What? That won't work? Why's that here..? Fire checks to see if any of the markings are faded, damaged, or edited to explain the mistake.

Drellen Gales
2016-07-01, 10:01 AM
Ah, yes, they're recipies, carved into the wood... Aha! A recipe for a lock-eating acid, how apt... Let's see; Wormwood, Elderberries, Sage... What? That won't work? Why's that here..? Fire checks to see if any of the markings are faded, damaged, or edited to explain the mistake.

Carved in stone. And Xho saw those words written on book covers as he was throwing them around.

Rovinpiper1
2016-07-01, 10:24 AM
I'll give Cleaver some hit points back (he needs them!) if you can give me a good sounding plan to dress his wound.

We're canabalizing my cloak and maybe my poncho as well. We'll fold a piece into a pad to place directly against the torn flesh to absorb the blood and staunch the bleeding. I'll cut three long strips to wrap around his body. One will go horizontally, the other two will wrap diagonally, so they go around his shoulders. The strips will hold the pad in place against the wound.

"If we got hit with bloodmind poison in here, why don't we have any memories of retreating to the bed chamber?

Can we ram through to the armory? The anvils have the makings or battering rams. If we had chains and something to hang them from, we'd be in business for sure. Or rollers would work as well.

Could the ingredients in your recipe be the titles of books in the "password"?"

Xhosant
2016-07-01, 10:41 AM
"That's what I'm thinking too. Anything titles from 'R'? Cause i'm pretty sure that's how the first book started. Also, I get the feeling there might be something to do with an antidote, as a marking for the password?"

Drellen Gales
2016-07-01, 11:16 AM
"That's what I'm thinking too. Anything titles from 'R'? Cause i'm pretty sure that's how the first book started. Also, I get the feeling there might be something to do with an antidote, as a marking for the password?"

The wormwood one got damaged. It's rmwood now.

Anyway you figured out that dropping those books in that order causes the bookshelf to slide out and reveal a passage.

Give me until the end of the day to post what's in there.

I like Cleaver's bandage. He is now able to withstand another spear to the stomach without immediately dying.

Drellen Gales
2016-07-01, 06:23 PM
The bookcase slides open. Inside, you see an unfinished armory. Stone slabs with intentions of being made into shelves litter the left wall.

On the right wall is a metal bucket with six vials of various colored liquid.

There is also a large, finely made axe a little smaller than Cleaver's hanging on a hook.

Beside the axe is a silvery buckler (a very tiny shield). The buckler has a faint skull painted on it.

Next to the axe hangs a bronze medallion on a silver chain.

There is a hole large enough for a person to fit through in the roof in the far left corner. The pile of floor to ceiling rocks and dust indicate the hole is blocked for a considerable portion.

Anyone who peeked through the door that summoned the ape would have seen a very large room. Closer to the door is a long stone table with two stone benches on either side. A second stone table is on its side and pushed against a large door on the far side. Two stone benches have also been used to block the far door and it seems a skeleton's hand is caught between the table and one of the benches. Other skeletons begin to shuffle towards you, probably attracted by the light of the forge through the crack of the slightly open door.

hustlertwo
2016-07-01, 07:18 PM
Cleaver watches as the skeletons begin to stir.

No sense patching up one hole in my gullet just to earn more for the rest of us. Fire, unless you got something that might take care of these meatless men, I say we close this door and block it with some of these stone slabs. Or we could try chucking those hunks of stone and see how much of them we can smash. Either way we better move fast.

thedanster7000
2016-07-02, 03:20 AM
"I'll see what I can do..." Fire attempts to throw a fireball at the skeletons.

Drellen Gales
2016-07-02, 05:43 AM
Time out while I write this up

Drellen Gales
2016-07-02, 06:16 AM
"I'll see what I can do..." Fire attempts to throw a fireball at the skeletons.

While I'm assuming everyone else is looking in awe at an armory stocked with wonderous things, you hear the other door creak open and a small explosion coming from the other room. A skeleton explodes into burning cinders and scorched bones.

As Fire had to open the door a little to make sure his mini-fireball didn't hit it, he could see further into the room. There are at least six skeletons near the barricaded far door. They are now very interested in the party.

In not going to have you roll initiative just yet because if any of you close the door and find a way to keep it from opening, it would stop the combat. In case anyone asks, the stone door is a double door that only opens inward and the metal handles are sturdy and something could be wedged between them to hold it. Or you could charge in.

This will be the surprise round. Fire already went. What does everyone else want to do?

Rovinpiper1
2016-07-02, 01:21 PM
I am confused. Are the skeletons in the armory, that we just found the secret door into?

How are the skeletons armed?

"Let's barricade the door, then arrange the room to funnel the skeletons, so that all of us can fight one of them at a time. We can use Cleaver's axe to bar the door. "

Uglyhands pulls the door closed.

hustlertwo
2016-07-02, 01:59 PM
Cleaver initially jerks back at the suggestion of using his axe.

Ernn...fine. But when you want it back open, I will do it. Because nothing comes through that door unless I have my axe in hand.

Drellen Gales
2016-07-02, 02:29 PM
Sorry for the confusion. The secret door leads to a skeleton free armory. The main hall (door that lit up and summoned an ape) has skeletons. I put a line between the descriptions but I did not actually say I was describing two seperate rooms. That one's on me, but I'm not changing anything. Doors are closed with an axe barring the handles.

You hear chains moving from the armory. The axe that was hanging on the wall is gone. Below it is a coil of chain complete with a padlock and a key connected to the chain by an even smaller chain.

hustlertwo
2016-07-03, 05:30 AM
Cleaver frowns at the situation.

Great, no axe there either. We need to figure out what we're doing to stop those skeletons, because not having anything in my hands I can kill people with is making me real itchy.

Rovinpiper1
2016-07-03, 07:47 AM
Can we close the secret door? Then we prepare the battlefield and address these threats one at a time. Otherwise let's fall back to the bedchamber. With luck the skeletons will fight...whatever is over there and we'll mop up the survivors.

Drellen Gales
2016-07-03, 07:50 AM
You feel like the skeletons are more minless automatons than clever death machines. You hear a few scratches on the door before they seemingly lose interest.

Rovinpiper1
2016-07-03, 10:15 AM
"I see perplexed looks. When I say both threats I'm talking about the skeletons and whatever just took the axe from the armory.

By the way, does anyone have a way to detect invisible things. Whatever took the axe is either around a corner in there where we cannot see, or invisible and possibly in this room with us."

Drellen Gales
2016-07-03, 06:33 PM
There's been a slowdown in posts that I'm attributing to the holiday weekend. I'm having family over all day tomorrow so I won't be replying until later. Posts will probably start picking up on Tuesday so see you then.

Little bit of homework if you have time.

Please pm or email: What am I doing well and what do you want to see improved?

hustlertwo
2016-07-05, 04:34 AM
Once the skeletons cease battering the door, Cleaver retrieves his axe.

Aaaah. That feels better. Now let's see who or what is pilfering things from the armory. The skeletons can wait.

Drellen Gales
2016-07-05, 11:36 AM
The doors to the main hall seem more or less secure when Cleaver retrieves his axe.

Who is inspecting what in the armory?

hustlertwo
2016-07-05, 02:24 PM
Cleaver goes to check out the buckler, seeing if it is in good condition. Might be a good item for Dagger to use.

Xhosant
2016-07-05, 02:54 PM
Dagger's going for the chain. Caaaarefulyyyyy.

Drellen Gales
2016-07-05, 03:28 PM
The buckler is in perfect condition. It feels as restrictive as a paper shield. It's hard to imagine someone who would be restricted by it.

The chain is a normal chain with a lock and attached key. It would be handy to lock the other door with.

Xhosant
2016-07-05, 03:33 PM
Dagger tries on the buckler, then, and sees if it would restrict him in any way.

Drellen Gales
2016-07-05, 03:43 PM
The descrition of the buckler was for Cleaver.

While Dagger's precision isn't affected, it definitely gets in the way of his finesse. A fighting style that consists of whacking things as hard as you can wouldn't be restricted, but anyone good at using light weapons nimbly can't do that with anything strapped to their arm.

There's still a bucket with glass vials and the medallion (aka necklace).

Xhosant
2016-07-05, 03:46 PM
Ok then, Dagger ignores the buckler and looks at the medalion.

Drellen Gales
2016-07-05, 03:53 PM
In the glass medallion, you see your reflection.

"Hello," says Dagger's reflection.

Xhosant
2016-07-05, 03:55 PM
Dagger's not-reflection looks confused.
"What's this medalion?", he asks the reflection.

Drellen Gales
2016-07-05, 04:03 PM
"Can you ask a more specific question," replies the Reflection. "I cannot lie and will not be a smart ass, which leaves me with no answer."

"Your friend with the axe does not look well."

Xhosant
2016-07-05, 04:26 PM
"What is this medalion's function, then?"

hustlertwo
2016-07-05, 06:23 PM
Cleaver straps on the buckler after seeing how light it is, and then goes back to chain up the skeleton door, just in case. He then pokes at the vials while Dagger plays with the medallion, looking for identifying labels or markings.

Drellen Gales
2016-07-05, 07:29 PM
"It's keeping me from oblivion. Be careful with those vials, young one. I imagine your mage could identify them by taste, but at least one of those is alchemist's fire. You'll be covered in blaze and your own ashes if you open it."

Xhosant
2016-07-05, 08:10 PM
"Explain then, what exactly YOU are?"

Dagger figured this was some sort of answering machine, but this answer complicated things. Further, the figure had claimed it couldn't lie...

Drellen Gales
2016-07-05, 08:41 PM
"Your labguage does not have a word for what I am. Most don't. I would have imagined a different line of questioning from a group of nice folks whose memories only go back the last twenty minutes. Before you ask, I can hear your thoughts. You don't have to worry so much about the chain. It's a Handy Sword. It turns into whatever you need, provided it's not bigger than a sword. It's a chain because it thought you wanted to lock that door."

thedanster7000
2016-07-06, 02:02 AM
"Dagger, see if the medallion knows which vials are safe. In the meantime I'll try to identify them, without opening them... Of course..."

hustlertwo
2016-07-06, 05:19 AM
Cleaver sets down the vial he was holding in an absurdly gentle fashion.

Bottles of fire and smartmouthed jewelry. I hate magic.

Curious about the Handy Sword, Cleaver returns, unwinds the chain from the door and replaces it with his axe, then tries to will it to change into a heavy flail.

Xhosant
2016-07-06, 07:09 AM
Dagger about had it with that smartass reflection. "Tell me, in detail, what is your function or abilities, how you can be of use to us in any way, and any piece of information you are aware of that we will find illuminating to our situation or possibly useful in the next 24 hours or so, to the best of your judgement. Go."

Drellen Gales
2016-07-06, 11:39 AM
"I can heal your friend and identify the vials but I need something in return. The use of one of your eyes."

"The Handy Sword is designed to meet your needs, not take requests. They were never really popular for that reason. Think about the problem you want help solving and not the solution you're hoping for."

"I will give you some information for free, though. Mythril bucklers' greatest advantage is that wizards can use them without martial training or hindrance to spell casting."

hustlertwo
2016-07-06, 01:10 PM
Temporary use or permanent for the eye? If the latter, I guess we could go to that sleeping shield guy and dig one of his out. If temporary, I'm game.

Absently unstrapping the buckler and tossing it to Fire (hopefully not hitting him in the head in the process), Cleaver focuses on a most pleasant image to him: the skeletons in the other room, coming at him in their puppet-like fashion, only to be smashed and bashed to fragments by a heavy flail grasped in his formidable hands.

Drellen Gales
2016-07-06, 02:52 PM
"Temporary, I assure you. I have had nothing to look at but this room for the last 214 years. It would help if the eye was open. Your sleeping friend won't do."

The Handy Sword takes the shape of an incredibly well made war hammer.

hustlertwo
2016-07-06, 02:57 PM
Cleaver's grin highlights a couple of missing teeth at the feel of the hefty weapon in his hand. Excellent. Once I pop a potion we can open this door and see how many skeletons it can smash. So go ahead and use my eye if you're ready, Glass Man. And since you know how long you've been cooped up here, do you happen to know how long we have been here? And, for that matter, who we are?

Drellen Gales
2016-07-06, 04:20 PM
Great questions. Flashback awarded.

"You didn't sit around and introduce yourselves down here, so I don't know your names. One of you is loaning another one his crossbow for the duration of the adventure. An elf brought you here and abandoned you because he needs fresh bodies. He thinks a Necromancer died down here wearing a magic bone ring."

"Put me on and I can heal your wound and use my sight to identify the potions."

Xhosant
2016-07-06, 05:51 PM
"Why do I hold said necromancer's memories?"

Drellen Gales
2016-07-07, 09:28 AM
"There are a million reasons and a million more sources. Reincarnation, psychic echoes, you're being haunted, psychosis, the list goes on and on." He gives you how to tell the vials apart.

1 cure wounds
1 enlarge person
2 alchemists fire
1 acid
1 lamp oil

The medallion flies to Cleaver and loops its necklace around his neck. The white of Cleaver's right eye goes completely black and is iris glows a bright purple. Inky, black and purple flames reach out of the spear hole in Cleaver's stomach before fading away. Cleaver is completely healed, relatively speaking.

"I assume we all want to get out of here," says Reflection. "I'd like to do it before you all starve."

hustlertwo
2016-07-07, 01:17 PM
The contact of the medallion on his skin, aside from the external changes, brings about another flood of memories unceremoniously dumped into Cleaver's thick skull. Instead of collapsing, he howls, baying like a wolf at the moon. He draws his axe from the door, grasps the warhammer in both hands, and rips open the door to the skeleton room. Drooling just a bit, Cleaver stands at the doorway and barks at the assembled undead in the room.

So that thorny elf and his great ape thought he could just wish us away in the purple haze! Well I shocked the monkey when he came up short-handed, hahaha! And now it's your time to die again forever!

He stands just outside the doorway, so that hopefully only one skeleton can reach him at a time, and readies himself to smash with all his might the first bonehead to come in range.

Drellen Gales
2016-07-07, 01:33 PM
"All this time and I get someone who's already insane."

Roll initiative!

Xhosant
2016-07-07, 01:45 PM
Skeletons. Ugh. Not a good target for a kidney shot, due to the distinct lack of a kidney...

Dagger rushes to the bottles, grabbing an oil and an alchemist's fire.

hustlertwo
2016-07-07, 01:50 PM
[roll0]

Still rather addled, Cleaver flicks the medallion with a finger and then smacks the hammer on the ground to attract even more attention. Shut, it, Sparkles. You lit this candle, now watch it explode! Exploding candle!

Xhosant
2016-07-07, 01:55 PM
((Oh, forgot. [roll0]. Also, it's called 'dynamite'))

thedanster7000
2016-07-07, 04:31 PM
"Let's go..." Fire mutters as he collects up the vials and readies his crossbow.

[roll0]

Rovinpiper1
2016-07-08, 06:59 AM
"Wait! We should've taken a moment to limber up."

Uglyhands moves to stand on line with Cleaver, careful to leave him room to swing his weapons.

"You know, if you let me use the Handy Sword, I can reach the enemy with less chance of getting in your way."

Drellen Gales
2016-07-08, 10:32 AM
Did anyone actually open the door?

I'm going to assume no. Make a plan once the door opens. Or screw the plan, it's DND. Anyway you have a surprise round against some number of skeletons. You get a move OR an attack before the skelies roll initiative.

Surprise round will go in this order: Fire, Dagger, Cleaver and Uglyhands last because he was stretching, but can make an initiative roll for combat.

Cleaver notices he can't see out of the blacked out eye.

thedanster7000
2016-07-08, 12:16 PM
"Return to your wretched graves..."
Fire stands next to the door and fires his crossbow at a skeleton.

Xhosant
2016-07-08, 05:22 PM
Dagger slugs the oil bottle somewhere between the skeletons and them, close to them but not so much that it'd spread to them.

hustlertwo
2016-07-08, 07:12 PM
Actually, Cleaver already opened the doors a few posts back.

If Cleaver sees where he can get more than one in a single swing, he moves and does so. Otherwise he stands at the ready for them to come, hammer gripped so tightly in both hands that his knuckles are turning white.

At Uglyhands' suggestion of taking the Handy Sword/warhammer, the addled Cleaver begins to froth at the mouth.

Back! The hammer is needed for the best smash-'ems!

Rovinpiper1
2016-07-09, 11:11 AM
Attacks: [roll1]
[roll2]

Uglyhands will hold his position at the doorway. His goal is to fight so that he and Cleaver will be mutually supporting and will stop the skeletons from getting to dagger and fire.

"Easy, Cleaver. I'm just trying to be a team player. No one wants to take any toys from you. Except the skeletons.

Drellen Gales
2016-07-09, 01:17 PM
I'm directly supervised today. Hiatus until tomorrow.

Drellen Gales
2016-07-12, 06:16 PM
And I'm in training all week. I'll be back Friday.

Rovinpiper1
2016-07-17, 08:01 PM
Is this the end? I thought this was going well.

Xhosant
2016-07-21, 04:26 PM
As if! I'm back in town and on the grid, baby!

thedanster7000
2016-07-31, 12:31 PM
I assume this is dead then? Shame.