PDA

View Full Version : Just thought of something [Possible Spoiler]

The_Hunting_Enemy
2007-06-30, 04:54 AM
You know how Durkon's prophecy said he would return to his homeland posthumosly? Well, a crazy thought popped into my brain, perhaps he will get killed sealing one of the gates, like Kraagor did. It would be interesting to see past and present tie in, like maybe he would die sealing Kraagor's gate? This theory is assuming Kraagor's is the last one, and the snarl tries to escape.

It's a crazy theory, but I thought I should throw it out there.

TreesOfDeath
2007-06-30, 05:14 AM
If the gate is there its more likely he'll fail to protect it. I mean if that happens, he dies a hero, not someone who brought disarter home

Omicroncubed
2007-06-30, 05:22 AM
You know how Durkon's prophecy said he would return to his homeland posthumosly? Well, a crazy thought popped into my brain, perhaps he will get killed sealing one of the gates, like Kraagor did. It would be interesting to see past and present tie in, like maybe he would die sealing Kraagor's gate? This theory is assuming Kraagor's is the last one, and the snarl tries to escape.

It's a crazy theory, but I thought I should throw it out there.

You know, I've been thinking about the same thing. It's usually in some stories that the Past and the Future have something in common. I think that it is possible that Durkon will die the same way Kraagor did.

squidthingy
2007-06-30, 07:53 AM
A theory that has been said before is that the gates are getting destoryed by the same thing that protects them

dorukon's-protect by magic(sigil thing on the top), destoryed by magic(self-destuct rune)

lirian's-protected by nature(all we now are the tree beings, but there was probaly more), destroyed by nature(got destoryed by a naturely occuring forest fire)

soon's-protected by paladins(saphire guard), destoryed by a (fallen)paladin(miko)

so giraid(phft spelling) gate would have to be destoryed by illusions(elan mabye) and kragaars gate by monsters(Mitd mabye?)

yoshi927
2007-06-30, 08:29 AM
A theory that has been said before is that the gates are getting destoryed by the same thing that protects them

dorukon's-protect by magic(sigil thing on the top), destoryed by magic(self-destuct rune)

lirian's-protected by nature(all we now are the tree beings, but there was probaly more), destroyed by nature(got destoryed by a naturely occuring forest fire)

soon's-protected by paladins(saphire guard), destoryed by a (fallen)paladin(miko)

so giraid(phft spelling) gate would have to be destoryed by illusions(elan mabye) and kragaars gate by monsters(Mitd mabye?)

Actually, wasn't the forest fire at Lirian's gate caused by Redcloak? I don't have Start of Darkness, but it seemed like that when Xykon and Redcloak were talking about it outside the tower, though I'm too lazy to look the strip up. I think that if we rule out Lirian's gate, that kills the whole theory, though.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-06-30, 08:45 AM
Whether or not the fire was started by Reedcloak, it was still the forest fire that did the destroying. (I am also without SoD)

Elfanatic
2007-06-30, 11:02 AM
The prophecy said he would return to his homeland posthumously...as in, there will be a corpse of him. I don't know what exactly happend to Kragaar's body (perhaps he was simply sucked in, and the Order of the Scribble made the statue), but it looks like he was turned to stone, with no way of resurrection and perhaps even moving the damn thing. Besides, I think that the dwarves would have problems with putting a statue in a grave.

Holy_Knight
2007-06-30, 01:41 PM

That's an interesting observation, but how would an illusion be able to destroy a gate? I mean, in a direct way, like the other examples. I guess it could lead to its destruction somehow, although it wouldn't be the illusion itself destroying it.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-30, 01:56 PM
I always thought that the death and destruction Durkon causes would be something trivial. Like having a tree planted in his memory by the OotS (horrific by Dwarven standards).

BelkarPwnsAll!
2007-06-30, 01:57 PM
Interesting idea... Durkon is a small, fun dwarf and I respect that! Don't get me wrong, okai? ROCK ON CLERIC!!!:smallbiggrin: I had an idea. If Belkar was never Chaotic, how would he act?:smallconfused:

WarlockBeast
2007-06-30, 02:21 PM
Interesting idea... Durkon is a small, fun dwarf and I respect that! Don't get me wrong, okai? ROCK ON CLERIC!!!:smallbiggrin: I had an idea. If Belkar was never Chaotic, how would he act?:smallconfused: :smallconfused:
how does that have ANYTHIG to do with the topic? and if Belkar was not Chaotic hed be.........not Belkar.

The_Hunting_Enemy
2007-06-30, 05:43 PM
I just think it would be a neat idea if past and present DID clash at the moment. I love stories where stuff like that happens. (Although perhaps on a more epic scale)

DraPrime
2007-06-30, 07:05 PM
I just think it would be a neat idea if past and present DID clash at the moment. I love stories where stuff like that happens. (Although perhaps on a more epic scale)

How is this not epic? A god killing monstrosity could be unleashed into the world. That's pretty epic if you ask me.

Angel in Black
2007-07-01, 02:09 AM
That's an interesting observation, but how would an illusion be able to destroy a gate? I mean, in a direct way, like the other examples. I guess it could lead to its destruction somehow, although it wouldn't be the illusion itself destroying it.

Shadow Evocation- or even the humble Silent Image. Clearly you haven't heard of the Killer Gnome build, that casts 120% real illusions.

Oberon
2007-07-01, 02:35 AM
Whether or not the fire was started by Reedcloak, it was still the forest fire that did the destroying. (I am also without SoD)

The forest fire was undoubtedly started by Redcloak, and you don't need SoD to figure it out; the evidence is clearly shown. Not only does Redcloak say so (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html), but Goblin footprints and red scraps (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0290.html) are found at the scene.

Seeing as a fire started by a Goblin Cleric is NOT a naturally-occuring event, this kinda throws a wrench into the whole theory.

Sorry to be the party-pooper.

Angel in Black
2007-07-01, 02:43 AM
The forest fire was undoubtedly started by Redcloak, and you don't need SoD to figure it out; the evidence is clearly shown. Not only does Redcloak say so (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html), but Goblin footprints and red scraps (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0290.html) are found at the scene.

Seeing as a fire started by a Goblin Cleric is NOT a naturally-occuring event, this kinda throws a wrench into the whole theory.

Sorry to be the party-pooper.

"Natural" fire destroyed Lirian's gate, as a "paladin" destroyed the Sapphire gate. It still holds.

BisectedBrioche
2007-07-01, 06:03 AM
In regards to the "gates being destroyed by whatever guarded them" theory you could argue it was a corrupted version of whatever was guarding them. We have a Fallen Paladin, Unnatural Fire (fire itself is arguably a natural phenomenon), and a self destruct mechanism being set off accidentally.

So mayber Kraagor's gate will be destroyed by a fiendish monster summoned by :redcloak:. Don't ask me how an illusion's supposed to destroy a gate though.

Holy_Knight
2007-07-01, 06:12 AM
Shadow Evocation- or even the humble Silent Image. Clearly you haven't heard of the Killer Gnome build, that casts 120% real illusions.

But that's just it--a real illusion isn't a, um, real illusion. I had thought of shadow evocations actually, but I guess I'm of the mindset that insofar as they're real, they're not actually illusions, despite being considered "Illusion" spells. You see, in reality, a real illusion isn't really real at all.

The_Hunting_Enemy
2007-07-01, 06:31 AM
Wow, I started a thread that started an argument about something someone in the thread said about a speculation in another thread. :D