PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder War Soul discipline advice

digiman619
2016-06-22, 01:08 AM
The Soulknife generally gets two types of archetypes: Those that change the mind blade (Armored Blade, Deadly Fist, Psychic Armory, etc.), and those that change your secondary abilities via swapping out psychic strike (Cutthroat, Gifted Blade and War Soul). Since the first kind radically changes the blade, what disciplines work well with each different one?
For Reference
Armored Blade-Make mind armor as well as weapons
Augmented Blade-Make an existing weapon your mind blade
Brutality Blade- The Barbarian/Wilder of Soulknives
Deadly Fist-Unarmed strikes
Feral Heart- Get natural claw weapons
Psychic Armory- A slew of floating blades surround you <Insert appropriate anime reference here>
Shielded Blade- Make a mind shield as well as weapons
Soulbolt- Ranged weapons

MilleniaAntares
2016-06-22, 09:43 AM
Note that some of your listed archetypes are not compatible with war soul.

That said:

Armored Blade: irrelevant, almost no interaction between maneuvers and armor.
Augmented Blade: depends on the weapon you use.
Brutality Blade: Primal Fury
Deadly Fist: Broken Blade, Fool's Errand
Feral Heart: my maneuver using archetype version of this (see my sig) gets Broken Blade, Chimera Soul, Primal Fury, and Thrashing Dragon
Psychic Armory: Solar Wind and Tempest Gale
Shielded Blade: Iron Tortoise
Soulbolt: Solar Wind and Tempest Gale

AoiEMT
2016-06-22, 09:13 PM
Be careful with some disciplines such a Solar Wind that require the use of a weapon from a specific weapons group.

Mind Blade isn't in any fighter weapons group unless you take the discipline blade skill. The issue is a lot of archetypes lose access to that blade skill.

That being said I am currently playing a Psychic Armory with the following focus:

Veiled Moon: Mobility and some AoE
Sleeping Goddess: Some amazing counters and debuffs in here.
Elemental Flux (Traited it in): Basically all can be used at range and one feat gives you an Animus pool for augmentation.
Tempest Gale (Replaced Solar Wind per PoW:E rules for war soul): Holy ranged maneuvers batman!

Doc_Maynot
2016-06-22, 09:15 PM
Yeah, with War Soul, just take the Discipline Blade Shapes skill, and boom. You now have all of your discipline weapons at the ready.

AoiEMT
2016-06-22, 09:23 PM
Yeah, with War Soul, just take the Discipline Blade Shapes skill, and boom. You now have all of your discipline weapons at the ready.

Including guns!

Doc_Maynot
2016-06-22, 09:24 PM
Including guns!

Especially guns!

MilleniaAntares
2016-06-22, 11:27 PM
Get Weapon Group Adaptation (Heavy Weapons) and it'll be even crazier!

digiman619
2016-06-23, 12:08 AM
Get Weapon Group Adaptation (Heavy Weapons) and it'll be even crazier!

Umm... where's that from? I can't find it in the two PoW books or the PFSRD...

MilleniaAntares
2016-06-23, 01:00 AM
Umm... where's that from? I can't find it in the two PoW books or the PFSRD...
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/technological-weapons

digiman619
2016-06-23, 01:43 AM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/technological-weapons

I didn't mean Heavy Weaponry, I meant Weapon Group Adaptation

MilleniaAntares
2016-06-23, 02:05 AM
I didn't mean Heavy Weaponry, I meant Weapon Group Adaptation
Here you go. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/feats#TOC-Weapon-Group-Adaptation-Combat-)

digiman619
2016-06-23, 02:49 AM
Um, Yeah... :smalleek: That feat has a ton of nifty abusability. Note to self: Play a War Soul with said feat and Discipline Blade Shapes if I ever do the Iron Gods AP...
EDIT: Looking over the Technological weapons, and realizing If I take Weapon Group Adaptation (Heavy weaponry) as my first level Skill and Weapon Group Adaptation blade skill at level 2, I can do 12d6 manage with a rocket launcher mind blade... BEFORE I add any maneuvers/stances... and I don't rum out of ammo/charges... AT LEVEL 2! :eek:

AoiEMT
2016-06-23, 01:54 PM
Um, Yeah... :smalleek: That feat has a ton of nifty abusability. Note to self: Play a War Soul with said feat and Discipline Blade Shapes if I ever do the Iron Gods AP...
EDIT: Looking over the Technological weapons, and realizing If I take Weapon Group Adaptation (Heavy weaponry) as my first level Skill and Weapon Group Adaptation blade skill at level 2, I can do 12d6 manage with a rocket launcher mind blade... BEFORE I add any maneuvers/stances... and I don't rum out of ammo/charges... AT LEVEL 2! :eek:

Too be fair I have seen lots of posts from both Pathfinder and Dreamscarred that imply technological weapons were never intended to be lumped in with mundane weapons for things that create or effect mundane weapons.

Also most GMs would either stop that or send you against a squadron of those.