PDA

View Full Version : Optimization You've been running through my mind all day (mind spy early level optimization)

samwise245
2016-06-22, 02:46 AM
I really enjoy the flavor of a mind spy (from CW) immensely and, though I know its a bit off on a tangent and weird in its approach to combat, I've done my best to optimize it. While building the mind spy I decided to go the psionic route and take Illithid heritage feats to gain detect thoughts. At first I was worried that the build wouldn't work because mindspy= arcane and psionic= not arcane but I think that since the flavor of reading minds and using psionics makes so much sense together, that most DM's would let you multi-class into a mindspy. Regardless, what I discovered was certainly surprisingly effective. Bear in mind that many of the games I play don't often make it past level eight or the others players are power players and I need to be at least almost relevant by level sixish in order to have any fun.

The build through level six looks like
Psionic warrior 1 (bonus feat= Psionic Talent, normal feat= Illithid Heritage)
Wilder 1 (Class features= Wild Surge +1, Psychic Enervation)
Wilder 2 (Class features= Elude Touch, Feat= Illithid compulsion)
Wilder 3 (Class features= Wild Surge +2)
Wilder 4 (Class features= Volatile Mind 1 power point)
Mindspy 1 (Class features= Anticipate, Combat Telepathy, Spherical Detect Thoughts, Feat= Weapon Finesse)

After advancing to level five take the rest of the five mindspy levels and continue to advance as a wilder(more powerful powers) or psionic warrior(More feats and better BAB- probably the better choice). The beauty of this build is that a lot of things are built off of charisma. Elude touch gives AC bonus equal to charisma bonus to ALL attacks which is awesome. The Mindspy's anticipate class feature allows 1 point of charisma bonus per Mindspy level towards AC and attack rolls against anyone who's surface thoughts that are being detected-when you are not flat-footed that is. Because of spherical detect thoughts pretty much everyone can be mind read and that's awesome and effective at higher levels then six. As the Mindspy gains levels, they gradually begin to be able to read multiple surface thoughts (max four) and they steadily become able to detect thoughts faster and faster until surface thoughts= same round, this makes Anticipate very good. All of this reasoning is assuming that the DM house rules that Read Thoughts (the power) functions like Detect Thoughts (the spell) seeing as Read Thoughts not only affects everyone in a 60 ft. radius but detects surface thoughts immediately- I'd say that the DM house ruling this way seems balanced. Finally, continue grabbing compulsion powers for flavor and viola- a situationally tanky character (25 AC possible 20 AC normal- this doesn't count powers like compression that make you smaller) who loves battle field control.

For stats grab a little strength for damage, medium dexterity for AC and finesse, and maxed out charisma for goodies. In addition, dump everything into Concentration and pick up a magic item for concentration checks and never worry about breaking concentration. Any and all feed back is appreciated!

Edit: You can probably go without strength as the difference can probably be made up with the right magic weapons. Also, because of the amounts of unused skill points you will have you might as well do something like Changeling plus charisma based skill for flavor, I dunno I'm kind of just psyched on these strange synergies right now.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-06-22, 07:22 AM
Elude touch gives AC bonus equal to charisma bonus to ALL attacks which is awesome

Um, maybe I'm missing something specific to this build, but no, no it doesn't.

Elude Touch (Ex)
Starting at 2nd level, a wilder’s intuition supersedes her intellect, alerting her to danger from touch attacks (including rays). She gains a bonus to Armor Class against all touch attacks equal to her Charisma bonus; however, her touch AC can never exceed her Armor Class against normal attacks.

samwise245
2016-06-23, 12:46 AM
*sigh* and I thought I had actually managed to pull together something that was both out of the ordinary and effective. In that case it looks like the best way to boost AC is with a little more dex and a little more magic. Also, because I forgot to mention earlier Illithid feats come from Complete Psionic and was added for Illithid Legacy, which allows for the addition of several powers to any characters power list. The other books used were Expanded Psionics, Complete Warrior, Races of Eberron, and the Player's Hand Book.