PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Help me brewing a prestige class

Lethan
2016-06-22, 04:06 AM
This is my first try at brewing a prestige class, so any suggested improvements or alterations will be much appreciated.

I'm playing a two-handed weapon fighter and I couldn't really find any interesting prestige classes. So I figured, I would brew my very own. However, I want it to be general enough, that other characters can pick it up if they want to - so not tailor-suited to my current character.

So without further ado I give you the Battlefield Marauder.

Lethan
2016-06-22, 04:08 AM
Requirements:
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon Focus (any two-handed melee weapon)

Hit die: 1d10
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Craft, Jump, Listen, Profession, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble
Skills points: 4 + Intelligence modifier

Advancement:

Level
BAB
Fort. save
Ref. save
Will save
AC Bonus
Special

+1
+0
+2
+2
+0
Marauder’s Rhythm 1/day
Improved Reaction
Weapon Tripping

+2
+0
+3
+3
+1
Improved Trip
Fast Movement +5 ft.

+3
+1
+3
+3
+1
Marauder’s Rhythm 2/day
Deadly Rhythm

+4
+1
+4
+4
+2
Dispatch the Fallen
Fast Movement +10 ft.

+5
+1
+4
+4
+2
Marauder’s Rhythm 3/day
Tireless Rhythm

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Battlefield Marauders gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.
AC Bonus (Ex): A Battlefield Marauder gains this bonus to Armor Class as long as he is wearing no armor or light armor and not carrying a shield. This bonus to AC applies even against touch attacks or when the Marauder is flat-footed. He loses this bonus when immobilized or helpless, when wearing any armor heavier than light, when carrying a shield, or when carrying a medium or heavy load.
Marauder’s Rhythm (Ex): A Battlefield Marauder can become an unstoppable force on the field of battle a certain number of times per day. While in this Marauder’s Rhythm, he can take a full attack action (for melee attacks only) and still move up to his speed. However, the Marauder must move a minimum of 5 feet between each attack when using this ability, and he cannot return to a square he just exited (though he may return to that square later during the full attack). The Marauder is subject to attacks of opportunity while in his Rhythm, but may tumble normally as part of his move. A Marauder prevented from completing his move is also prevented from finishing his full attack.
If a Marauder wields a two-handed weapon while in Marauder’s Rhythm, he gains a bonus on his attack and damage rolls. This bonus is +1 at 1st level, and it increases by an extra +1 at every odd-numbered level thereafter.
A Marauder may only enters a Marauder’s Rhythm while wielding a two-handed weapon. He cannot enter a Marauder’s Rhythm in any armor heavier than light or if he is using a shield. While in Rhythm, a Marauder cannot use skills or abilities that involve concentration or require him to remain still, such as Move Silently, Hide, or Search. A Marauder with the bardic music ability can, however, sing while in Rhythm, and a Marauder can also use feats like Combat Expertise and Power Attack while in Rhythm. A Marauder cannot enter a Marauder’s Rhythm while under the effect of a rage or frenzy ability.
A Marauder can enter a Rhythm only once per encounter. A Marauder’s Rhythm lasts a number of rounds equal to his constitution modifier. At the end of a Marauder’s Rhythm, the character becomes fatigued for the duration of the encounter.
Improved Reaction (Ex): A Marauder gains a +2 bonus on initiative rolls. The bonus stacks with bonuses gained from other abilities and feats (such as Improved Initiative).
Weapon Tripping (Ex): A Battlefield Marauder can use any two-handed weapon for tripping an opponent with no penalties.
Fast Movement (Ex): At 2nd and 4th level, a Battlefield Marauder gains an enhancement bonus to his speed. A Marauder in any armor heavier than light or carrying a medium or heavy load loses this bonus.
Improved Trip: At 2nd level, a Marauder gains the Improved Trip feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.
Deadly Rhythm: At 3rd level, a Marauder gains the benefit of the Cleave feat while in a Marauder’s Rhythm, even if he does not meet the prerequisites for the feat. He does not have to move 5 feet before making the extra attack granted by this ability.
Dispatch the Fallen: When he attains 4th level, a Marauder gains an extra +4 bonus to damage rolls against prone targets when using a two-handed weapon.
Tireless Rhythm: When a Battlefield Marauder reaches 5th level, the character no longer becomes fatigued for the duration of the encounter at the end of a Marauder’s Rhythm.

Lethan
2016-06-22, 04:09 AM
Many of you probably already realized, that the class is heavily inspired by the Dervish prestige class. I wanted something similar, but with a different focus. I would like to have the duration of Marauder's Rhythm be dependent on a skill instead of constitution score, but I can't find any skill that seem relevant to a fighter and fits the feel of the Battlefield Marauder. I figured that a typical fighter will have at least 16 in constitution giving it a duration of 3 rounds. Is that enough?
Another feature of the Dervish prestige class are "A Thousand Cuts". I figured, that with this prestige class being only 5 levels, it might be overpowered to fit this feature (or something similar) into it. What do you guys (and girls) think?

Lastly, what are your overall thoughts of this, my first try at making a prestige class?

Talore
2016-06-22, 11:31 AM
I think that having CON modifier rounds of duration is incredibly stingy. It really ought to be 3+CON at the minimum.

Why does the class have a good will save? The only mental ability is the +2 initiative, and the marauder can't even keep full mental faculties up when marauding.

Other than those issues it seems like a perfectly average prestige class.

ShiningStarling
2016-06-22, 04:21 PM
For a Thousand cuts replacement, maybe for the duration they take no penalties for combat expertise and power attack? Or half penalty? Maybe a higher cap? Just a thought.

Anyway, seeing as this class is very two handed weapon focused, maybe something like an opposite to a dervish could be more appropriate? Like maybe increased damage while standing still rather than constant mobility?

Other than those couple thoughts, this seems to be a good (if maybe redundant) little prestige class. Still, you don't have much reason to take this instead of dervish, you need a bit more of what marketing calls a Unique Selling Point, something to differentiate yourself.

Cheers! ^.^

Lethan
2016-06-23, 02:27 AM
I think that having CON modifier rounds of duration is incredibly stingy. It really ought to be 3+CON at the minimum.

Why does the class have a good will save? The only mental ability is the +2 initiative, and the marauder can't even keep full mental faculties up when marauding.

Other than those issues it seems like a perfectly average prestige class.

I totally agree with the observation about saving throw. Could a fix be to switch the Fort. save and the Will save?

About the duration, I think I will make it class level + constitution modifier. That way, it will end up being 5 + constitution modifier, with a bit of magic and a decent constitution, the Rhythm will last 10+ rounds at the end of the prestige class. That seems more appropriate.

For a Thousand cuts replacement, maybe for the duration they take no penalties for combat expertise and power attack? Or half penalty? Maybe a higher cap? Just a thought.

Anyway, seeing as this class is very two handed weapon focused, maybe something like an opposite to a dervish could be more appropriate? Like maybe increased damage while standing still rather than constant mobility?

Other than those couple thoughts, this seems to be a good (if maybe redundant) little prestige class. Still, you don't have much reason to take this instead of dervish, you need a bit more of what marketing calls a Unique Selling Point, something to differentiate yourself.

Cheers! ^.^

You are on to something about the replacement for A Thousand Cuts. I'm already using a two-handed weapon, so tinkering with power attack might give that feat too much power. But it might make sense to tinker a bit with the combat expertise. Although I might double the effect rather than halving the penalty - just to avoid the rounding issue ;)

I agree, that the prestige class might seem a bit redundant and I'm okay with that. If I did go the immobile way, the class would just be a variant of the Dwarven Defender. With the amount of prestige classes out there, it is difficult to make a prestige class that are 100 percent unique.

You have both made some good observations and they will be taken into consideration. Thanks a lot for your contributions, it's much appreciated :)