PDA

View Full Version : Best source of fire damage for non casters ?

NevinPL
2016-06-22, 05:23 AM
Something around Fire Shuriken (SpC)\Liquid Embers (PH) damage vise. A bit less, if more than one target.

Khedrac
2016-06-22, 05:44 AM
Desert Wind manoeuvers for a SwordSage.

Dragonfire Adept (unmodified breath weapon is fire).

Half-Dragon template with a fire breath, and suitable metabreath feats.

Mr Adventurer
2016-06-22, 07:05 AM
Half-Dragon template with a fire breath

Is usable once per day. You need that one feat from... Races of the Dragon? That makes it once every 1d4 rounds to even qualify for metabreath feats (probably).

ILM
2016-06-22, 07:32 AM
Depends. Are you hot? Then the Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows are made for you (from Dragon Compendium): +Cha mod fire damage on melee attacks.

Jormengand
2016-06-22, 08:01 AM
Controlled Immolation? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm#controlledImmolation) Combine with some way to Catch on Fire repeatedly.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-06-22, 08:17 AM
Pyrokineticists get 1d6/level fire damage at will at third level, as a 60' range ranged touch attack. It's not very good at all, but at level 10-11-12, it's 5d6-6d6-7d6, so that's when it starts to be competetive with warlocks and reserve feats.

Tiri
2016-06-22, 09:34 AM
Pyrokineticists get 1d6/level fire damage at will at third level, as a 60' range ranged touch attack. It's not very good at all, but at level 10-11-12, it's 5d6-6d6-7d6, so that's when it starts to be competetive with warlocks and reserve feats.

You can also use Power Attack with it.

NevinPL
2016-06-22, 10:50 AM
Thank you.

Addendum:
Non casters, so non manifesters too.
And, as indicated, I would prefer ranged items.
As for sources - no Eberron, no ToB.

OldTrees1
2016-06-22, 10:52 AM
Non casters, so non manifesters too.
And, as indicated, I would prefer ranged items.
As for sources, - no Ebberon, no ToB.

Is there a way to get Bardic Music on a non caster? Perhaps by using Spell-less Paladin with the Bardic Music substitution levels? Then you could trade Inspire Courage for the song that gives +xd6 fire to everyone's attacks.

ShurikVch
2016-06-22, 11:25 AM
Something around Fire Shuriken (SpC)\Liquid Embers (PH) damage vise. A bit less, if more than one target.3rd level Rogue with Dragonfire Strike (Dragon Magic)?

Afgncaap5
2016-06-22, 12:31 PM
Well... I'm a fan of the Scorching Gaze graft. It gives you a gaze attack that can do 1d6 points of fire damage, which is admittedly only about a third of what you're looking for, but on the other hand it's a gaze attack. So... you're potentially hitting every enemy with it in a round. You're potentially hitting your allies, too, though. Also makes you take a -2 to Spot check because you, like Goldilocks, now have GREAT FLAMING EYEBROWS.

"Elemental grafts" may be a bit "magical" for "non-magical" characters, but if dragon breaths are on the table it feels worth mentioning.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-06-22, 05:22 PM
You can also use Power Attack with it.
Um, as far as I know, Power Attack doesn't work with ranged touch attacks. If this is a special trick, enlighten me :smallsmile:.

mabriss lethe
2016-06-22, 05:48 PM
Um, as far as I know, Power Attack doesn't work with ranged touch attacks. If this is a special trick, enlighten me :smallsmile:.

I'm going to assume it's a bit of a miscommunication on the other guy's part.

On a pyrokineticist, you can't use power attack on their Bolt of Fire ability. However, you absolutely CAN use Power Attack with Fire Lash because it's a feat that works in conjunction with a whip. (due to its rather oddly worded text.)

(Bolded for emphasis)

Fire Lash (Ps)
A pyrokineticist gains the ability to fashion a 15-foot-long whip of fire from unstable ectoplasm as a move-equivalent action. She takes no damage from a fire lash she creates, and if she releases her hold, it immediately dissipates. The lash deals 1d8 points of fire damage to a target within 15 feet on a successful ranged touch attack. A pyro can take Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization (if she otherwise meets the prerequisites) in conjunction with the fire lash, as well as any feats that apply to the use of a standard whip. The whip remains in existence as long as the pyrokineticist holds it.

Thurbane
2016-06-22, 10:43 PM
There's a feat in one of the Dragon books (RoTD? Dragon Magic?) that allows you to turn bonus Power Attack damage into fire damage. I think there is a CW feat and a ToB prestige class that allows you to PA with ranged weapons? (AFB at the moment).

There's also the Elemental Warrior and Dragon Samurai prestige classes that can add fire damage to any weapon you wield.

Also, Dragon Shaman, although it's generally considered inferior to DFA

Tiri
2016-06-22, 10:47 PM

Oh dear. I thought you were talking about Fire Lash instead of Bolt of Fire. It still is a source of fire damage, though.

NevinPL
2016-06-23, 05:09 AM
Further addendum:
this is for my upcoming ninja clan, used with conjunction with Elemental Rime, so: sneaky; individual, or teams of 2; no power attack, no other base classes, PRC's.

ShurikVch
2016-06-23, 09:23 AM
Ninja?
Dragonfire Strike works with Sudden Strike too!

Grinner
2016-06-23, 09:25 AM
How much damage does a bucket of magma inflict?

Jormengand
2016-06-23, 11:11 AM
How much damage does a bucket of magma inflict?

2d6+(1d3)d6, but you're gonna have to find a way to drag the bucket about. Though actually, even a tiny amount of magma deals that amount of damage, so maybe some kind of ranged splash weapon with something with a high enough melting point to contain it but brittle enough to smash on hit...

Troacctid
2016-06-23, 12:36 PM
The Talon Scepter (MIC 210) can fire a ray of fire once per round as a swift action. Great for sneak attack delivery.

Further addendum:
this is for my upcoming ninja clan, used with conjunction with Elemental Rime, so: sneaky; individual, or teams of 2; no power attack, no other base classes, PRC's.
There's an issue of Dragon Magazine that has ACFs for elemental ninjas, if that helps at all.

Jormengand
2016-06-23, 01:56 PM
Speaking of drag mag, there's the Incarnate (Not the Incarnum one) which is a weird TN paladin with an elemental burst that can be fire+cold or elec+acid as well as their smite.

NevinPL
2016-06-24, 02:35 AM
Ninja or not, Dragonfire Strike still sucks (CHA, dragon blood, need to deal sneak\sudden\skirmish damage to gain the benefit).

Talon Scepter is a bit too pricey, and the damage is too low.

Ninja elemental variants from Dragon #354 suck, and are "incompatible" with my ninja (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?484602-YANI-Yet-Another-Ninja-Improvement-(input-welcomed)).

Incarnate paladin from Dragon #310, is paladin, so no. Also, 1d4+CHA something, isn't even near 3d6.

No, no, no, so what the Baator do I want ?
Preferably some items similar to the ones mentioned in the first post (Meteoric Knife (MIC) would be fine too, if it worked a bit longer).

ShurikVch
2016-06-24, 07:51 AM
How about the Sprayer from Arms and Equipment Guide? Load it with lamp oil...

Alternately, maybe you can arm those ninjas with variant of Jango/Boba Fett's wrist-mounted flamethrower?

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/9/9f/Czerka_flamethrower.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20060112004831http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/a/a1/Flamethrower.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20060205212325

NevinPL
2016-06-25, 03:58 AM
Two problems:

burning oil deals 1d3,
burning oil,

Guess I'm sticking to shurikens, and embers.

Troacctid
2016-06-25, 04:51 AM
How about the Sprayer from Arms and Equipment Guide? Load it with lamp oil...

Alternately, maybe you can arm those ninjas with variant of Jango/Boba Fett's wrist-mounted flamethrower?

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/9/9f/Czerka_flamethrower.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20060112004831http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/a/a1/Flamethrower.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20060205212325

That reminds me! The DMG actually has rules for an exotic weapon called the Flamer (page 146). It can only be fired once per round, but every time you fire it, it deals 3d6 fire damage in a 200-foot line.

Esprit15
2016-06-25, 02:45 PM
Isn't there a feat to change SA damage into Fire damage?

Necroticplague
2016-06-25, 05:27 PM
Isn't there a feat to change SA damage into Fire damage?

Yes, its called Dragonfire Strike. Also works with sudden strike and skirmish, and adds a d6 of damage.