PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Combat houserules?

Mjolnirbear
2016-06-22, 03:04 PM
I'm interested in what houserules you guys have for mounted combat?

I was considering something along the following:

When you ride your mount into combat, you can choose to use your action to have your mount use one of its available combat options.

The thinking is that you can take advantage of mount special attacks (I'm thinking trample) but otherwise you attack as normal.

I don't want to step on the beastmaster's toes too much, though, so I didn't make it an even trade of attack for an attack. I'm also considering requiring an animal handling check (unless the animal is war-trained).

I like that mounted combat is simple, but I don't like how useless it is. Of course, the beastmaster is something requiring consideration.

Thoughts?

Slipperychicken
2016-06-22, 04:05 PM
I like that mounted combat is simple, but I don't like how useless it is. Of course, the beastmaster is something requiring consideration.

Thoughts?

Being mounted in battle does give a few great advantages, like much better speed, using a lance as a one-handed weapon with a shield, and the ability to disengage without using the rider's action. The main limitation is having to reconcile mounts with dungeons and other indoor environments.

Easy_Lee
2016-06-22, 04:08 PM
Intelligent mounts can attack on their own turns, but I don't think that specifically having one's horse perform an attack was ever really a battlefield tactic. Not that it's wrong to have a house rule allowing it...it just feels strange to me.

What I could see is rules for mounted charges, which may vary by the mount. Perhaps a horse adds damage die to mounted charge attack, via extra weight and speed. And perhaps some sort of cat mount could have a leap and pounce as part of a charge.

Mjolnirbear
2016-06-22, 04:44 PM
Here are the problems as I see them (apologies for not clarifying earlier)
* they have a warhorse, which is much more expensive, and has this amazing attack, but it can't attack unless it's uncontrolled or unmounted. A warhorse should be a terror, not a minor afterthought
* your mount is squishy as heck, which accurately reflects how easy it is to take one out of the fight (go for the legs!), but it is an expensive option to replace a mount for a bit of extra speed and an occasional disengage action. Especially for an overpriced sack of meat such as the warhorse.
* investing in Mounted Combatant to balance the previous point is harsh considering your lack of control over whether you fight on the plains or underground
* the paladin Find Steed spell is lacklustre. Not that the paladin needs any help, admittedly, but mounted combat rules that increased options without significantly altering power would be very appreciated.

But these issues need to be balanced against familiars, beast masters, and the intended simplicity of 5th edition. So I was really hoping one of you geniuses here had come up with something I could shamelessly yoink, or at least *work with*; my previous suggestion was more in the way of a conversation starter ;)