PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Paladin of the Luck God?

BDRook
2016-06-22, 03:15 PM
So I just started a 5e campaign, and I was looking into playing a different kind of Paladin. Instead of worshiping the classics like Pelor/Kord I was going to try my hand at making a Paladin of Avandra/Tymora or really any one of the luck based Gods. Now, with Gods like Pelor it's easy to follow their tenants because they have clearly defined virtues; go out and spread Pelor's light to the masses and defeat evil, etc. But it's a bit harder with luck Gods because they tend to be a bit more neutral and uncaring of the human world.

So I'm wondering, if one were to try and play a character worshiping Tymora, what would some of the tenants be that they would need to follow?

ComaVision
2016-06-22, 03:22 PM
Spread gambling and defeat cheaters :smallbiggrin:

RyumaruMG
2016-06-22, 04:09 PM
Riffing off of the "cheaters" thing I'd say they could promote fair play. Working to promote an even playing field where luck matters, that kind of thing. Maybe seek to destroy people who alter fate for their own selfish gain.

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-22, 04:32 PM
Unless Tymora's alignment changed (always a possibility), she's chaotic GOOD. She's also an enemy of gods like Bane, Cyric and other bad guys. In 3rd, she was huge on the whole thing of freeing people from tyranny. If this has change, obviously throw this suggestion out the window, but I would focus on her desire to see people free and safe from tyranny. Part of her third edition dogma was 'luck favors the bold', so make a character who is reckless and brave, finding evil to thwart so innocent people can lead happy lives.

Black Socks
2016-06-22, 04:34 PM
Ideas:
- Spread a message of 'take chances, go big and trust in [deity]'
- Cheating at a game of chance is like spitting on [deity]'s most sacred altar. Stop cheaters.

Genth
2016-06-22, 04:47 PM
For some reason the idea that struck me was a Paladin-as-sports-team-coach.

Psyren
2016-06-22, 09:09 PM
Her dogma is pretty vague. Be bold and take risks, but she never suggests a course of action. Presumably they should be GOOD risks due to her alignment, but the dogma doesn't say.

Beshaba's edicts are ironically much clearer. Make bad things happen to people randomly and blame them on her; as fear of her grows, so too does her power, whether she was actually behind it or not. Kinda brilliant really.

goto124
2016-06-23, 02:08 AM
What counts as 'cheating', anyway?

SethoMarkus
2016-06-23, 02:17 PM
What counts as 'cheating', anyway?

I would assume robbing others at an equal chance at winning. Tests of skill become a bit more vague with this idea, but in games of chance like Poker or drawing straws it could be (literally) stacking the deck, hiding additional pieces, sabotaging a rival's preparations. Sure, there are strategies in these things, ways to improve your odds at winning the game overall, but each hand in poker is up to chance.

goto124
2016-06-23, 09:52 PM
But how does that apply to, say, fighting? Combat?

OldTrees1
2016-06-23, 10:19 PM
Ask yourself:
What ought one do when one is lucky/fortunate?

I could see a Paladin of a Luck goddess/god going around and:
1) Promoting taking risks to improve one's lot
2) Teaching by example what one ought to do when one gets lucky/fortunate
3) Help the unlucky/misfortunate so that they can get back into the game

SethoMarkus
2016-06-24, 01:21 AM
But how does that apply to, say, fighting? Combat?

Bold, risky maneuvers. Critical threat range. Relying on being in the right place at the right time. The Paladin's Cha to saving throws being fluffed as divine luck rather than divine favor.

As far as cheating in combat, a Paladin of a deity of luck would promote fair play. All cards on the table at the start. That is to say, if it is agreed for there to be no poison, the paladin ensures poison is not used. In unplanned fights perhaps reciprocal escalation; fight with just mundane weapons unless the opponent uses magic or some other advantage, then switch to bigger guns, etc. If there is an opportunity for a big risk-big reward gambit, the paladin takes it; ie, suffer attacks of opportunity to advance on a foe; or, use the attack that has a 1-in-100 chance (nat 20 only success).

BDRook
2016-06-24, 03:17 PM
Good ideas one and all. I think I'm going to focus more on the "jumping into the middle of danger" and trusting luck to get me through it, rather than the punishing cheaters thing. Punishing a guy cheating at cards just seems kind of a petty thing for a messenger of God to worry about.

The Fury
2016-06-24, 04:40 PM
You should borrow a line from the Luck Priests in Oglaf-- "Oh my odds!"