PDA

View Full Version : Making Reinhardt in dnd 3.5

jangartharn1
2016-06-22, 03:34 PM
Hey guys. So in a campaign I'm in we just got party wiped by a flock of cockatrice. So I need to make a new character. And I want to make a character who is similar to Reinhardt from overwatch. Pretty much a extremely high health meele class that can charge and create a large shield to block projectiles and protect allies. If anybody could help me out on how I would make this work I would appreciate it. Oh and the campaign is 6th level. And only basic races. Besides that any basic class in the books or prestige classes in the books are good to go.

ComaVision
2016-06-22, 03:41 PM
Pretty much a extremely high health meele class
Easy

that can charge
Easy

and create a large shield to block projectiles and protect allies.

Huh.

Here's what I think: Cleric 4/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator X

d8/d10/d8 hit dice, respectively, so make sure you get a decent Con score. Crusader will give you some good melee abilities, and RBK will continue that. Crusader has access to the Charging Minotaur maneuver and you could also work towards the Shock Trooper and Leap Attack feats. Cleric spells include a bunch of wall spells, including Wind Wall that stop projectiles. Clerics have a lot of other spells for protecting allies as well.

Gildedragon
2016-06-22, 03:42 PM
High health tank type: you're probably looking at a crusader, the good karma luck feat lets you redirect attacks to yourself.
Maybe a 1dip of barbarian to get pounce...

mabriss lethe
2016-06-22, 03:56 PM
Psychic warrior gets my vote. The share pain/psicrystal trick makes them one of the toughest classes when it comes to surviving HP damage. The Call Armor power lets you summon a shield, (wrong type of shield) and Psionic Lion's Charge lets you pounce. Concealing amorpha might help cover the "shield" aspect, and PWs can eventually learn Energy Wall using Expanded Knowledge.

Psyren
2016-06-22, 04:32 PM
He needs Dungeoncrasher in there somewhere to simulate his charging crush.

For the wall, something like an at-will item of Tiny Hut should work - allies can fire from inside it, but get total concealment from outside, which could simulate his protection. Only issue is that Tiny Hut doesn't move with you. Hmm...

TroubleBrewing
2016-06-22, 05:40 PM
Yeah, a basic Dungeoncrasher is pretty close, splash some Crusader for White Raven stuff, and then make sure to grab the Called enchantment for his shield. If you wanna get a little crazy, go for a Powerful Build + Large size thing and get a bigger shield than normal.

EDIT: Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but isn't there an enchantment for a shield that makes it float in front of you, too?

ComaVision
2016-06-22, 05:43 PM
Yeah, a basic Dungeoncrasher is pretty close, splash some Crusader for White Raven stuff, and then make sure to grab the Called enchantment for his shield. If you wanna get a little crazy, go for a Powerful Build + Large size thing and get a bigger shield than normal.

EDIT: Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but isn't there an enchantment for a shield that makes it float in front of you, too?

Animated. Reinhardt's shield isn't a conventional shield, it's more like a see-through force-field. To be a faithful representation, his companions needs to be able to get behind it as well.

Sir Chuckles
2016-06-22, 05:50 PM
Animated. Reinhardt's shield isn't a conventional shield, it's more like a see-through force-field. To be a faithful representation, his companions needs to be able to get behind it as well.

Borrow from the surfboard shield trick.
+1 Flying Variable Sizing Riverine Buckler

You can trade flying for animated.

Blackhawk748
2016-06-22, 06:02 PM
I second the Dungeoncrasher Crusader idea. I seem to recall a magic item that created a wall of force effect in front of you, i think it was a dice or something.

Ermac
2016-06-22, 06:23 PM
I seem to recall a magic item that created a wall of force effect in front of you, i think it was a dice or something.
Cube of Force
Lets you make a 10 x 10 wall of force in front of you, and the wall moves with you.
Only problem is that it can only be used for a few minutes each day.

Blackhawk748
2016-06-22, 06:45 PM
Cube of Force
Lets you make a 10 x 10 wall of force in front of you, and the wall moves with you.
Only problem is that it can only be used for a few minutes each day.

True, but if you use its maximum setting, you get 6 minutes of use out of it, which is 6 encounters. On top of this you dont even have to use it every encounter. Oh and it does lose extra charges if it takes more than 30 damage per attack, but outside of Magic thats probably not gonna happen all to often.

Personally id ask the party Item Crafter to make you two of them.

MisterKaws
2016-06-22, 07:02 PM
Well, a Silverbrow Human Stalwart Battle Sorcerer has Cleric BBA, (virtual)Barbarian HD(1d8+2), and can use Wings of Cover, which is basically Power Word: Nope for any targeted effect, and can be used to "Nope" any effect from people adjacent to you, or to your Familiar, via Share Spells. The problem with this one would be the charge aspect of it, unless you can get the Savage Species version of Lion's Charge.

Hero Forger
2016-12-21, 05:29 PM
whats ruby knight vindicater from? (book)

ZamielVanWeber
2016-12-21, 07:04 PM
Tome of Battle. It is a Wee Jas themed PrC

Admiral Squish
2016-12-21, 07:18 PM
Warforged, dungeoncrasher, warforged juggernaught. Tons of health, solid AC, a charge that will destroy worlds... As for the shield, I think your best bet is to talk with your DM about something custom. There are some good suggestions in the thread but I don't think you'll find just what you're looking for normally. A custom tower shield that creates a force wall when used for cover. Maybe charges/day, maybe a (small) pool of regenerating HP?

daremetoidareyo
2016-12-21, 09:59 PM

Nephelium armor material from the sunless citadel adventure pdf page 32

Nephelium: Found only in the rarest veins of areas saturated with magic, nephelium has all the attributes of iron (it is ferrous), except that it is transparent. It does not add to the quality of a weapon or a suit of armor, but alloys made from nephelium are transparent. Thus, Nephelium plate appears glasslike, as does a nephelium battleaxe. Purposely adding mineral impurities to nephelium can produce shades of sapphire, emerald, and ruby. Nephelium can be enchanted just like standard iron. Weapons or armor fashion from nephelium cost 100 gp more than weapons or armour fashioned from standard materials, due to its scarcity.

You can use this to make your tower shield glass like. Then, because line of sight and line of effect are different things, which ever way you face, you are more or less immune to spells that target you from that direction.

Coretron03
2016-12-21, 10:03 PM
So reinhardts shtick is would require
-Weilding a huge hammer that can affect multiple people infront of him (maybe that war hulk prc that lets you attack everyone infront of you as a standard action, letting him move while attacking)
-Charging people and pushing them into a wall for huge damage (dungeon crasher)
- lots of hp, maybe a little dr to represent his armour reducing damage (which is a actual thing in overwatch, high constution and maybe adamantite armour)
- a huge sheild that blocks projectiles (what people said above)
- a decent movement speed as he is rather quick (barbarian dip? Pounce wouldn't make much sense for this character as he bullrushes people into walls, not make multiple attacks so maybe a barbarian dip)
- a way to knock people prone in a cone (no idea how)
- a way to launch a peircing projectile (hulking hurler levels?)
- Maybe large size to simulate being a easy target(size penalty to AC) and being so strong/tons of health (numerous ways)

If you wanted a very close copy you would need a way to emulate all/most of these, although might not matter to the OP depending on what he wants. Overwatch characters in Dnd would be a very cool concept though.

Mordaedil
2016-12-22, 08:50 AM
That said, people making tanks in D&D tend to often be kind of let down, because it's just not made with that kind of party dynamic in mind. It can be done, but it's not going to be what you were going for.

Swaoeaeieu
2016-12-22, 09:58 AM
having read the magic item compendium a while back with just this idea in mind i found a buckler that lets you project a 15 by 15 wall of force infront of yourself. (pretty much what you need)
cant for the life of me remember its name though. But MiC for sure!

Sheogoroth
2016-12-22, 03:21 PM
As to using a huge shield to protect allies... there's a prestige class called Mook from Ultimate Prestige Class Volume 1 or 2 (can't remember which, shouldn't be too hard to find either on the internet).
It was kind of a weird class, but it had an ability that allowed you to bestow your ENTIRE shield bonus to AC to any adjacent allies.

So I suppose if you took monkey grip with a Greathammer or Bec-de-corin and a tower shield in your off-hand and took a bunch of bull-rush feats, maybe the Mineral Warrior Template for extra tank, you would be a decent approximation.