PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun for the 360

Maerok
2007-06-30, 08:37 AM
Elf + Katana + Teleport + Glider + Improved Combat (name?) = my favorite combination, though it takes some time to build up since I always get the katana first round

I like this game, especially as it is the first game in a while to have... OMIGOSH... bots! I just think that the powers might get boring after a while, but it would be fully possible for updates and stuff. Engaging gameplay with magic + tech... What do you guys think? Any faithfulness to the actual game?

Wojiz
2007-06-30, 08:44 AM
Yeah, it's a great beta.

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-06-30, 04:00 PM
Why do you say that? I played it and although some combinations were unbalanced, it's pretty well-done.

My combo is Troll + Minigun. This bugger will tear everything apart. Then I go for Smartlink so I don't teamkill, then Tree of Life, then if there's idiots running around with swords I get Gust.

And if there's a lot of elves (all the time) I can just go pistol them. It's only some three or four headshots to kill.

Emperor Ing
2007-06-30, 04:32 PM
Ok...should I get this game or can I pass?

Xuincherguixe
2007-07-01, 03:48 AM
I've said it before, but the game fills me with rage. Enough rage that it bears repeating.

It's nothing like the awesome game on which it's named. No. Seriously. They threw some cliche together and slapped a Shadowrun label on it.

If they had just named it something else, I might have been interested in it.

It may even be a good game. But I'm staying the hell away from it. Some circles are suggesting they pissed off the fans intentionally.

The Prince of Cats
2007-07-01, 07:50 AM
This is not Shadowrun... This is Counterstrike with elves and dwarves.

I mean, I played PnP Shadowrun for ages and then... This travesty. I wasn't impressed by it, even without the misuse of the SR label. The best game in this vein (SF CS) would have to be the Dystopia mod for Half-Life 2. Now there was a good CS-clone for the SF genre...

Closet_Skeleton
2007-07-01, 11:22 AM
It's nothing like the awesome game on which it's named. No. Seriously. They threw some cliche together and slapped a Shadowrun label on it.

As opposed to slapping some cliches together and making up the shadowrun label to put on it as was originally done.

bigity
2007-08-23, 03:29 PM
Magic AND technology? How was that cliche back in 89 or whatever it was?

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-23, 04:42 PM
As opposed to slapping some cliches together and making up the shadowrun label to put on it as was originally done.

That's not entirely accurate. I won't say that there isn't a lot of cliche in the game because that would be lying. But it wasn't just a slap job. A world like that would be would have dwarves living in mountains, dragons in caves, every elf would be an environmentalist, and there would be a priest type of spell caster. And then where ever humans live it'd be blade runner. You would be able to tell when there's a human dominated population because it'd go straight from coastal rain forest to towering sky scrapers. It'd also probably have experience levels.

At that time? Not being set in medieval Europe was almost unheard of. That's what got me into the game. Rather than a Wizard/Priest, or Black/White magic dynamic, it went with Mages(wizards, it was a questionable name) and Shamans. And it was the kind of world where you would be made fun of for dressing like their historical counterparts. Oh it still happened all the time, but you were kind of encouraged to look ridiculous.

Regardless of that though, Shadowrun is easier to take the cliche out than a lot of the games. The future no longer looks like the 80s very often (this has sparked debates incidentally). If you really wanted to, you could have nice corporations. But that's probably even less plausible than a fire breathing dragon giving you stock tips.

My problem isn't the game itself. It might even be a good game. But it would be like if George Lucas (having the rights so he couldn't get sued of course) called his movies Star Trek.

Yes. I am a rabid Shadowrun fan. Why do you ask? :P

Beleriphon
2007-08-25, 12:43 AM

Regardless, Shadowrun for 360 is a terrible game. I rented, played it for an hour, and then returned it. I paid for a week, I didn't even ask for my money back it was that bad.

Its not a terrible shooter, but I've played and own several other not terrible shooters. I'm not a huge Shadowrun fan, never have been probably never will be, but this was a disappointment on a scale unseen since as long as I can remember.