PDA

View Full Version : using a character in multiple different campaigns?

Captain Raveman
2016-06-22, 05:13 PM
Is it frowned upon to use a character for one campaign, then use the same character with the same general build (set back to the appropriate level for the campaign, of course) for a different campaign?

Strigon
2016-06-22, 05:24 PM
Of course not; as long as it doesn't give you an unfair advantage. Meaning, as long as you don't try to use stuff from the other campaign in your original.
There's nothing wrong with getting attached to a character, or liking a specific build. I know several gamers who have a single main character they use in almost all their campaigns; eventually, you get tonnes of inside jokes the whole group knows about, little quirks - it's almost like another player at the table.

tomandtish
2016-06-22, 05:57 PM
As Strigon said, no. Heck, there's nothing wrong with doing it at the same time. Think of it like alternate dimensional versions of each other. As long as there's no dimensional spill-over, you are fine.

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-22, 06:05 PM
Not really, but there are some things to consider. I don't necessarily think you'll do any of these, but these are things I have seen from people trying to do something similar. It is also why, in my opinion, doing this tends to get on some people's nerves. So if you want to do this, please consider the following:

1) Is the build and character appropriate for the current game? Having a cocky, reckless, action-oritented gunslinger is fine and good in that wild west game, but please don't bring them into the game set in medieval Japan with horror themes.
2) Have the other people seen it? Yeah, I'm going to admit right here and now, myself and a few other people I game with tend to stick with a few archetypes. But we at least mix it up now and again with different classes, focuses, backstories, personalities, etc. But occasionally, your group is going to want to see something new.
3) Are you bringing baggage with the character? I swear to god, the next time someone shows me a character that breaks setting and character creation rules because they want to play the character again, I WILL RIP UP THAT SHEET AND MAKE IT INTO CONFETTI.

Ahem. Sorry about that, but bringing a character with baggage into a new game, especially one meant as a fresh start really bugs me. Don't bring your character with too many magical items and expect to have all of that wealth. If it isn't a planar game, your character will not be allowed to dimension hop to join in. And for crying out loud, if I get another character that will not shut up about another campaign or people the current group has never met and will never meet because they were from another game no one was a part of, I will kill them with demons.

I think I have some unresolved issues. Basically, reusing archetypes is fine, as long as you adapt it to the current game. Refusing to play another character AT ALL will bug some people.

Noje
2016-06-22, 06:15 PM
I'm on Tiefling's side here. When you start a new campaign, it's generally to start with a clean slate. Re-using previous characters can make the game a bit stale. Unless that character died in five minutes, he already went through his arc, and going through it again would be pretty boring. Take advantage of this new campaign to try something new.

nedz
2016-06-22, 06:33 PM
No - but it's not something I would ever do. I have far more character concepts than I will ever be able to play. There are several character types I prefer to play so I generally stick to one of those - however this still leaves me an enormous selection of concepts.

It is a very old school concept to move an actual character, rather than a concept, between games - but I don't think that's quite what you were suggesting.

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-22, 06:37 PM
I'm on Tiefling's side here. When you start a new campaign, it's generally to start with a clean slate. Re-using previous characters can make the game a bit stale. Unless that character died in five minutes, he already went through his arc, and going through it again would be pretty boring. Take advantage of this new campaign to try something new.

That's not what I meant. What I was trying to get at is why some people don't like it, mostly because it is the exact same character. I think there's nothing wrong with reusing some favored archetypes or the like. Just make sure it FITS.

BlueHerring
2016-06-22, 07:24 PM
Honestly, this really comes down to DM/GM fiat. If this isn't your first time playing a given character with a given GM, they should be able to tell you if it's acceptable or not. If they say that it's not appropriate to the campaign setting, then you can ask if you could do a similar archetype1. If they say no, then you're kinda out of luck.

1: That being said, I don't recommend playing the same archetype in consecutive campaigns. Variety is king, after all.

SirBellias
2016-06-22, 08:43 PM
It shouldn't be an issue unless it clashes with setting/player expectations. I'd let someone do it, if they moved to a level appropriate for the game. As said above, I'd never do it because I have too many concepts to burn through. Heck, I'm hoping my character will die soon in the game I'm in so I can play another concept more in line with everyone else.

Captain Raveman
2016-06-22, 09:26 PM
It shouldn't be an issue unless it clashes with setting/player expectations. I'd let someone do it, if they moved to a level appropriate for the game. As said above, I'd never do it because I have too many concepts to burn through. Heck, I'm hoping my character will die soon in the game I'm in so I can play another concept more in line with everyone else.

I actually have a lot of character concepts too, usually one or two for each class.

Âmesang
2016-06-22, 09:47 PM
Like others I've a bunch of different concepts I'm dying to play as (like an old-west styled, smokepowder rifle using "Gnome with Gno Gname"), but since they're mostly 3rd Edition ideas and those games have been few and far between they're mostly just "sketched out" in a .txt file for future reference.

On the other hand I do like the concept of cross-planar characters (when allowed), 'cause it can cut down on time for formulating a brand-new character and backstory from scratch (of course it helps if the character has a logical reason for crossing planes to begin with). It doesn't help that I'm a fan of Ed Greenwood's "The Wizards Three" and the cross-culture film, The 13th Warrior.

…which reminds me of wanting a character to travel to Earth to pick up a SuperSoaker™ and fill it full of contact poison. :smalltongue: Darn that Spoony Bard and his Squirt Gun Wars.

Knaight
2016-06-22, 10:13 PM

Or the first game died after two sessions, or you've changed the character slightly and want to give a different incarnation of the same character a try, or whatever else. There are lots of reasons that either the character didn't get through their arc, or the arc would be dramatically different, particularly if you don't have a whole arc planned.

goto124
2016-06-23, 02:15 AM
3) Are you bringing baggage with the character? I swear to god, the next time someone shows me a character that breaks setting and character creation rules because they want to play the character again, I WILL RIP UP THAT SHEET AND MAKE IT INTO CONFETTI.

I believe this is the main reason against "same PC across different campaigns". When the PC has achieved a kingdom, a loving wife, and a lot of respect in one campaign, the player tends to expect the same thing for the same character even in an entirely different campaign. The player could easily start taking really ridiculous moves such as trying to take over a kingdom at level 1, flirting with every single woman he meets and not necessarily in a tactful way, and talking to everyone as if they've already heard of him as the Legendary Hero. Near the start of the campaign.

It's an exaggeration, but I believe the point is there.

Jay R
2016-06-23, 12:45 PM
1. What character I play at another table is nobody else's business at this table.

2. Done correctly, so that the character fits into this scenario, it ought to be impossible for anybody at this table to tell that I've used the same idea for another character in another game.

3. A character who doesn't fit into the current campaign is a problem. But it's exactly the same problem whether I've played him elsewhere or not.