PDA

View Full Version : trained only skills 3.5

Falcii
2016-06-22, 06:40 PM
I am designing an interactive excel spread sheet to make character sheets and one of the main focuses i have is making it easy to track skills appropriately (perhaps even adding a framework for custom skill tracking, which many character sheets seem to lack). The only annoying thing is i cannot seem to find a complete list of the trained only skills, and the last thing i want to do is waste time on that while i could be making my beautiful formulas. If anyone can help me out and either point me in the direction of a complete list or provide one, that'd be stellar!

Douglas
2016-06-22, 06:45 PM
Players Handbook page 63, there's a big table showing which classes have which skills. Next-to-last column on the right is whether the skill can be used untrained or not, look for the ones that say "No".

Malimar
2016-06-22, 06:47 PM
The chart on PHb p63 lists all the core skills and tells you whether they're trained only or not. Take that chart, and add: Autohypnosis, Knowledge(psionics), Psicraft, Iaijutsu Focus, Martial Lore, and Truespeak.

I don't think I missed any, but I'm sure somebody will let us know if I did.

Necroticplague
2016-06-22, 07:01 PM
Lucid Dreaming is also trained-only.

nedz
2016-06-22, 07:41 PM
Also SRD (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/skillsTro.html) - which might be easier.

Thurbane
2016-06-22, 10:46 PM
Not very useful for most characters, but there's also Control Shape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm) (not a trained only).

Also, Use Psionic Device

Iajutsu Focus is also not trained only.

Malimar
2016-06-23, 10:40 AM
Yes, you see, I missed a few, as expected.

Iajutsu Focus is also not trained only.

Huh, it would appear you're correct, iaijutsu focus isn't trained only. Other than "it's goofy", what stops everybody from iaijutsuing every combat? It's a decent chance for an extra +1d6-3d6, even untrained.

KillianHawkeye
2016-06-23, 10:13 PM
Huh, it would appear you're correct, iaijutsu focus isn't trained only. Other than "it's goofy", what stops everybody from iaijutsuing every combat? It's a decent chance for an extra +1d6-3d6, even untrained.

It makes sense for Iaijutsu Focus to not be a "trained only" skill in an Oriental Adventures styled campaign where the excessive romanticization of swordplay combines with a deeply spiritual desire for perfection in simplicity to make "draw and attack in a single fluid motion" a common enough idea. However, in the more typical Western European medieval background of most D&D settings, this would not be the case. In addition, it's main usage is for civilized and highly ritualized duels, not the hectic and messy slug fest of dungeon exploration or a fight between common soldiers. I would argue that Iaijutsu Focus probably should require training (or not be allowed at all) in such a setting, as it becomes a much rarer and more specialized combat style.

Thurbane
2016-06-23, 10:38 PM
It makes sense for Iaijutsu Focus to not be a "trained only" skill in an Oriental Adventures styled campaign where the excessive romanticization of swordplay combines with a deeply spiritual desire for perfection in simplicity to make "draw and attack in a single fluid motion" a common enough idea. However, in the more typical Western European medieval background of most D&D settings, this would not be the case. In addition, it's main usage is for civilized and highly ritualized duels, not the hectic and messy slug fest of dungeon exploration or a fight between common soldiers. I would argue that Iaijutsu Focus probably should require training (or not be allowed at all) in such a setting, as it becomes a much rarer and more specialized combat style.

In my games, I always designate Iajutsu Focus as trained only...