PDA

View Full Version : Build Advice: Wind Magic Only Storm Sorcerer

TurboGhast
2016-06-22, 10:25 PM
This build is currently only in the concept phase, without even a game I would run it for, but I still would like some advice with it because of how focused on a theme it is. I'm doing the spell list first because the rest of the build will revolve around it.

The sorcerer gets a total of 6 cantrips and 15 spells known at max level.

Base wind spells:
Cantrip: Gust (EEPC)
Lv1: None
Lv2: 4 spells

Gust of Wind (PHB)
Levitate (PHB)
Dust Devil (EEPC)
Warding Wind (EEPC)

Lv3: None
Lv4: Storm Sphere (EEPC)
Lv5: Control Winds (EEPC)
Lv6: Investiture of Wind (EEPC)
Lv7: Plane Shift (PHB), because of the Plane of Air
Lv8: None
Lv9: 2 spells

Gate (PHB), again because of the Plane of Air.
Wish into wind spells not on the sorcerer list.

1/6 Cantrips, and 10/15 spells known from spells from these spells. However, these spells are mostly high level, and there's no level 1 spells here. Storm Sphere is pushing the edge of what I'm allowing, due to the lightning damage it deals.

Rename-level refluffings:
Combat Cantrips: 6 spells

Booming Blade -> Airtrap Blade (SCAG)
Lightning Lure -> Partial Electric Vortex (SCAG)
Thunderclap -> Rumbling Howl (EEPC)
Ray of Frost -> Freezing Headwind (PHB) (Credit to Tenmujiin for the idea to refluff cold spells into chilling winds)
Frostbite -> Wind Chill (EEPC) (Credit to Tenmujiin for the idea to refluff cold spells into chilling winds)

Utility Cantrips: 3 spells

Mage Hand -> Hand of Wind (PHB)
Blade Ward -> Softening Wind (PHB)
Message -> Whispering Wind (PHB)

Lv1: 7 spells

Expeditious Retreat -> Tailwind (PHB)
Feather Fall -> Catch Updraft (PHB) Name isn't the best.
Jump -> Updraft Gust (PHB)
Catapult -> Launching Gust (EEPC)
Earth Tremor -> Lashing Downdraft (EEPC)
Thunderwave -> Howling Gust (PHB) (Credit to Arkhios for idea to rename Thunder Damage spells.)
Burning Hands -> Breath of the Desert (Credit to JackPhoenix for this refluff)

Lv2: 5 spells

Shatter -> Lashing Gusts (PHB) (Credit to Arkhios for idea to rename Thunder Damage spells.)
Aganazzar's Scorcher -> Sirocco (EEPC) (Credit to JackPhoenix for this refluff)
Blur -> Obscuring Vortex (PHB) (Credit to JackPhoenix for this refluff)
Earthbind -> Downdraft (EEPC) (Credit to JackPhoenix for this refluff)
Hold Person -> Airtrap (PHB) (Credit to JackPhoenix for the idea to refluff this spell)

Lv3: 5 spells

Fly -> Controllable Vortex (PHB)
Haste -> Greater Tailwind (PHB)
Slow -> Greater Headwind (PHB)
Fear -> Howling Winds of Pandemonium (PHB) (Credit to JackPhoenix for this refluff)
Fireball -> Scorching Gust (PHB) (Credit to JackPhoenix for this refluff)

Lv4:Banishment -> Planar Windlash (PHB)
Lv5: 2 spells

Cone of Cold -> Cone of Freezing Winds (PHB)
Hold Monster -> Greater Airtrap (PHB) (Credit to JackPhoenix for the idea to refluff this spell)

Lv6: Telekinesis -> Greater Hand of Wind (PHB)
Lv7: 3 spells

Reverse Gravity -> Extreme Updraft (PHB)
Delayed Blast Fireball -> Desert's Pyrite (PHB) (Credit to JackPhoenix for the idea to refluff this spell)
Fire Storm -> Fire Tornado (Credit to JackPhoenix for the idea to refluff this spell)

Lv8:Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting -> Dehyrating Desert Winds (Credit to JackPhoenix for this refluff)
Lv9: I can't think of any spells that only would need a rename.

Renaming spells adds a lot of options, and turns this into a question of what to use rather than seeing if I can scrounge up enough spells to have a complete character. 6/6 cantrips, and 24/15 spells known from the renamed ones.

Of the 11 potential cantrips and 34 potential wind spells in the game, which 21 should I use? (If levitate is chosen, a sixteenth should be selected as backup because Air Genasi can gain it without using a spell known.)
What other spells can I refluff for extra options?

Tenmujiin
2016-06-22, 10:31 PM
Have you considered refluffing cold type spells into chilling winds? Any that don't directly create ice could probably be made into wind based spells with a rename.

Arkhios
2016-06-23, 05:32 AM
Including Thunder spells might be fitting because Thunder damage isn't something you can "see". It's basically sound. A replacement for Sonic damage type from earlier editions. Wind spells can definitely create roaring sounds. (Imagine Thunderwave as the iconic Fus Ro Dah from Skyrim, if you will :P)

TurboGhast
2016-06-23, 06:08 AM
Including Thunder spells might be fitting because Thunder damage isn't something you can "see". It's basically sound. A replacement for Sonic damage type from earlier editions. Wind spells can definitely create roaring sounds. (Imagine Thunderwave as the iconic Fus Ro Dah from Skyrim, if you will :P)

I thought of using thunder damage like this while refluffing cantrips, but forgot about this when it came time to choose leveled spells. :smalltongue:

Have you considered refluffing cold type spells into chilling winds? Any that don't directly create ice could probably be made into wind based spells with a rename.

That is also something I could use for extra options, especially with cantrips.

I updated the OP with both of your ideas. Cantrips are now completely filled out, which is great!

Falcon X
2016-06-23, 03:06 PM
I'm currently going through the some thing in my game (I had half a mind to think you were my DM except that he doesn't frequent the playground). My character has come to the point where the chaos of lightning and storms has become anathema to who he is as a person and is trying to develop a way to harness the "calm winds" or other such things.

On one of my character's first attempts, he attempted to tap into the power of Void in the plane of vaccuum to quench a forest fire. My DM approved it as a type of Energy Admixture (http://alcyius.com/dndtools/feats/tome-and-blood-a-guidebook-to-wizards-and-sorcerers--51/energy-admixture--872/index.html) and I roleplayed through the charisma and wisdom checks he required to do it. The plane of vaccuum is the polar opposite of the wind element from lightning and storms. Made sense for my character. Might give you some ideas too.
Afterwards, I created my homebrew of the Void Disciple. check it out: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?488418-5e-Void-Disciple-Homebrew
Also, consider my Void Strike cantrip as an alternative primary damage dealing cantrip. Void the part of air that deals with it's absence of air:
Void Strike: You send a ray of energy from the plane of vacuum at a creature or object within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 thunder damage and all breathable air is removed from the location struck for one round.
This spell’s damage increases by 1d10 when you reach 5th level (2d10), 11th level (3d10), and 17th level (4d10).

For straight wind, I can't say much. You seem to be thinking of everything I would.

JackPhoenix
2016-06-24, 07:36 AM
You can do the same thing you've done with cold damage with fire damage, only the winds will be hot instead of cold. And you remove the clause about setting objects on fire. Precedent: Pathfinder's Sirocco (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/sirocco)

Ice Storm is kinda iffy, it's not just cold, but actual pieces of ice that do bludgeoning damage

Other ideas for wind/air spells:

Blade Ward -> Warding Wind?
Message -> Whispering Wind
Poison Spray is described as gas, despite the name
True Strike -> Guiding Wind

Burning Hands -> Breath of the Desert
Fog Cloud -> Dust/Sandstorm (cloud of whirling dust)

Aganazzar's Scorcher -> Sirocco
Blur -> Obscuring Vortex (vortex of dust partially hides the caster)
Earthbind -> Downdraft
Hold Person -> Binding Winds (change to Str save?)

Fear -> Howling Winds of Pandemonium
Fireball -> Scorching Gust
Sleet Storm (even when you add rain and snow, it's still wind)

Hold Monster -> Greater Binding Winds

Delayed Blasf Fieball -> Channeled Scorching Gust
Fire Storm -> Searing Whirlwind

Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting (it draws out moisture, and wind helps with that)
Incendiary Cloud -> Winds of Hell/other suitable hot and windy place

TurboGhast
2016-06-24, 11:25 AM
I'm currently going through the some thing in my game (I had half a mind to think you were my DM except that he doesn't frequent the playground). My character has come to the point where the chaos of lightning and storms has become anathema to who he is as a person and is trying to develop a way to harness the "calm winds" or other such things.

On one of my character's first attempts, he attempted to tap into the power of Void in the plane of vaccuum to quench a forest fire. My DM approved it as a type of Energy Admixture (http://alcyius.com/dndtools/feats/tome-and-blood-a-guidebook-to-wizards-and-sorcerers--51/energy-admixture--872/index.html) and I roleplayed through the charisma and wisdom checks he required to do it. The plane of vaccuum is the polar opposite of the wind element from lightning and storms. Made sense for my character. Might give you some ideas too.
Afterwards, I created my homebrew of the Void Disciple. check it out: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?488418-5e-Void-Disciple-Homebrew
Also, consider my Void Strike cantrip as an alternative primary damage dealing cantrip. Void the part of air that deals with it's absence of air:
Void Strike: You send a ray of energy from the plane of vacuum at a creature or object within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 thunder damage and all breathable air is removed from the location struck for one round.
This spell’s damage increases by 1d10 when you reach 5th level (2d10), 11th level (3d10), and 17th level (4d10).

For straight wind, I can't say much. You seem to be thinking of everything I would.

While these ideas are cool, I'm trying to avoid using home-brewed content with more changes than just a refluff, and 5e has no equivalent to Energy Admixture.

You can do the same thing you've done with cold damage with fire damage, only the winds will be hot instead of cold. And you remove the clause about setting objects on fire. Precedent: Pathfinder's Sirocco (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/sirocco)

That seems like something that could be used to both increase options, and add an extra usable damage type to the build.

Ice Storm is kinda iffy, it's not just cold, but actual pieces of ice that do bludgeoning damage

Reread the description and decided to remove it.

Other ideas for wind/air spells:

Blade Ward -> Warding Wind?
Message -> Whispering Wind
Poison Spray is described as gas, despite the name
True Strike -> Guiding Wind

Blade Ward could be refluffed to Softening Wind.
Message, and True Strike have cool refluffs.
Poison Spray might be described as a gas, but it's still a poisonous gas. Iffy.

Burning Hands -> Breath of the Desert
Fog Cloud -> Dust/Sandstorm (cloud of whirling dust)

Breath of the Desert sounds very cool.
Refluffing Fog Could would inevitably get weird: "Oh no, my magic winds are getting blown away by other winds!"

Aganazzar's Scorcher -> Sirocco
Blur -> Obscuring Vortex (vortex of dust partially hides the caster)
Earthbind -> Downdraft
Hold Person -> Binding Winds (change to Str save?)

Sirocco works as a refluff.
I initially avoided Earthbind because its description called out "Yellow loops of magical energy". This refluff might work, but isn't quite guaranteed.
I think Hold Person -> Airtrap works better, and allows justifiably targeting the same save.
Blur's clause allowing creatures that don't rely on sight to avoid it makes it a lot harder to refluff. I was going to try to come up with an alternate idea until I saw that clause.

Fear -> Howling Winds of Pandemonium
Fireball -> Scorching Gust
Sleet Storm (even when you add rain and snow, it's still wind)

Howling Winds of Pandemonium sounds very cool, and I'm willing to use it because of that alone.
If I'm avoiding Ice Storm because it creates ice, Sleet Storm probably can't fly.

Hold Monster -> Greater Binding Winds

This would probably could change to Greater Airtrap to go with Hold Monster's change.

Delayed Blasf Fieball -> Channeled Scorching Gust
Fire Storm -> Searing Whirlwind

Delayed Blast Fireball specifically says that it creates a yellow bead that stays there for a while. Perhaps that could be used: Desert's Pyrite
Fire Storm -> FIRE TORNADO (http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/03/30/fire_tornado_colorado_control_burn_turns_into_flam ing_vortex.html) (This is a 7th level spell here, I can base it off a "ridiculously over-the-top" natural phenomenon)

Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting (it draws out moisture, and wind helps with that)
Incendiary Cloud -> Winds of Hell/other suitable hot and windy place

Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting -> Dehyrating Desert Winds
Incendiary Cloud has the same problem of "The wind is blowing my wind spell away" as Fog Cloud

This thread contains a lot of cool ideas, and even the ones I don't use could potentially be Wished for. Thanks for the help!

JackPhoenix
2016-06-24, 12:31 PM
I initially avoided Earthbind because its description called out "Yellow loops of magical energy". This refluff might work, but isn't quite guaranteed.
I think Hold Person -> Airtrap works better, and allows justifiably targeting the same save.
Blur's clause allowing creatures that don't rely on sight to avoid it makes it a lot harder to refluff. I was going to try to come up with an alternate idea until I saw that clause.

I used the name Binding Winds, because I vaguely remembered it was a thing (http://alcyius.com/dndtools/spells/spell-compendium--86/binding-winds--3947/index.html) in 3.5, even if I wasn't sure what it did when I wrote that spell.

Same with Downdraft (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/spells.php?ID=5740)

I haven't meant Blur as physically blocking attacks, more like vortex of dust and debris obscuring caster... creatures not dependant on sight would still ignore that.

Chmbr
2019-08-26, 08:49 PM
this will be extremely useful! my group just had a rather unfortunate TPK at level 9, literally that encounter was gonna push us to 10 and everyone was excited. we are starting elsewhere in the world, all new level 1 characters (for the benefit of two very green players) my new Guy is a Tiefling Storm Sorcerer, his twin a Bard, that was saved by the side effects of a Wind gods Affairs, and became a follower. So thanks!