PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Herald Caller Cleric build help for PFS

CigarPete
2016-06-22, 11:11 PM
This is for PFS.

Highlights - building a herald caller using the reach cleric idea from here (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5kvBvq2DEHjRWctNG05X0JINm8/edit).

Human, 16 Str, 14 Dex, 13 Con, 12 Int, 15 Wis, 8 Cha after racial mod. Reactionary and Rice Runner traits, Combat Reflexes and Expanded Summon Monster/summon good monster as feats at 1st, going with Sacred Summons at 3rd and Improved Initiative/Toughness at 5th.

Debating what deity to go with. I think Travel domain is best overall, with Tactics not far behind and Protection or Fate bringing up the rear with a strong late showing at 8th level. Abadar and Desna also give access to usable creatures at lower levels without an extra feat, and Abadar and Sheyln/Aegirran leaving the full animal suite available, along with anything with the earth elemental subtype for Abadar and Water elemental for Aegirran.

Abadar(LN) would give Travel domain and Sacred Summons with summon monster for Two-headed celestial eagle at 1st, resolute hippogriff and arbiter at 3rd, two headed celestial giant eagle, resolute griffon at 4th, axiomite at 6th. nothing extra for summon neutral monster.

Iomedae(LG) would give Tactics domain and Sacred Summons for lantern archon at 3rd, hound archon and celestial giant eagle at 4th, advanced celestial griffon at 5th with Blink Dog at 3rd being the only addition from summon good monster.

Shelyn (NG) would give Protection or Fate domain and Sacred Summons for Cassisian, Foo Dog, Silvanshee at 3rd, Foo Lion at 4th, Vulpinal at 5th and a ton more using summon good monster
Aegirran(NG) would give Travel domain and similar list to Shelyn, though I can only take 2 of the three at 3rd.

Desna (CG) would give Traven domain and Sacred Summons for PsuedoDragon at 2nd, Lyrakien azata at 3rd, bralani azata at 5th, lillend azata at 6th and a few more using summon good monster

Geddy2112
2016-06-22, 11:25 PM
Quick note on stats-consider boosting wis to 16, you can get away with 10 int being human and with 4 ranks/level. Drop con to 12 to round this out. I disagree with the build guide you posted on the idea of maxing strength on a full caster while throwing int down the drain. 14 strength is sufficient, anything else is irrelevant once you have powerful spells and a waste of point buy. Also the idea that you need at least 14 con. While nice, d8hp and good fort saves will get you by, along with favored class bonus and the ability to heal yourself and all.

Considering you will get most to all the good summons through normal spell progression, the domain is a big deal. Travel is just too darn good to pass up-I am more partial to Desna, but Abadar is not bad either just for the variety.

Florian
2016-06-23, 12:51 AM
Agreed with pushing WIS to 16 and dropping INT to 10.

As for deities, I think itīs a toss-up between Shelyn and Desna. Foo creatures are powerful meat shields while azata are good backup casters and buffers.

CigarPete
2016-06-23, 10:58 PM
I hear what you are saying about the str not needing to go to 16 - I think I'm inclined to move the racial from Str to Wis, leaving the array as 14, 14, 13, 12, 17, 8.

As much as I would like to make a cleric of Abadar, the massive amount of creatures available with Summon Good Monster and the fact that they get Diehard for free means that I'm likely going with Kurgess or Aegirran for NG standard action summoning and Travel Domain.

I've got a 3xp blob ready for a character, now I just need a name and a mini and I'm golden

Geddy2112
2016-06-23, 11:12 PM
Looks solid. Since you are going for a reach/strength build, and summoning some tough diehard celestial allies, Kurgess is probably the best deity fluffwise. A 14 strength is by no means the peak of human potential, but you clearly lift. Likewise your dex and con are above average, indicating good health and fitness.

Aegirran is a good choice if your in a nautical themed adventure like Skulls and Shackles, and since storm giants are the normal worshipers good physical stats are cool. You would also gain proficiency with a trident, just in case you got cornered where you could not 5 foot step to get reach, and casting would provoke an AoO.