PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Hero Points & Anti-Hero Variant

Lappy9001
2016-06-23, 02:38 AM
In my current campaign, one of the players is bringing in his back-up character after his previous character sadly bit the dust tonight. They just reached level 11 and we've been using Hero Points to great success. Since his back-up character is very much an antihero he kind of doesn't want to use Hero Points, however, the default option of getting an extra feat in exchange for no Hero Points ever is pretty awful.

Has anyone found an alternative to the default antihero option or have any suggestions how to implement one that is a suitable replacement for Hero Points?

Milo v3
2016-06-23, 03:19 AM
Call them antihero points? There's nothing that makes the hero points system not make sense for an anti-hero

Mystral
2016-06-23, 03:26 AM
In my current campaign, one of the players is bringing in his back-up character after his previous character sadly bit the dust tonight. They just reached level 11 and we've been using Hero Points to great success. Since his back-up character is very much an antihero he kind of doesn't want to use Hero Points, however, the default option of getting an extra feat in exchange for no Hero Points ever is pretty awful.

Has anyone found an alternative to the default antihero option or have any suggestions how to implement one that is a suitable replacement for Hero Points?

It's just a fluff name, they can be villain points, too.

On a side note, I prefer the steady advantage of a bonus feat to the rare boost of hero points. But that's just my personal taste.

Recherché
2016-06-23, 04:07 AM
My group of self serving neutrals calls them Victory Points. Still work the same way.

Lappy9001
2016-06-23, 04:13 AM
Thanks for the responses! We're actually not interested in just re-fluffing hero points, however.

Florian
2016-06-23, 04:18 AM
Thanks for the responses! We're actually not interested in just re-fluffing hero points, however.

Than nothing can be done. Consider allowing the "Antihero" to use the Combat Endurance system instead.

Sliver
2016-06-23, 04:19 AM
You rather house-rule instead of refluff? :smallconfused:

How about using Action Points (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/actionPoints.htm) instead, then?

Lappy9001
2016-06-23, 04:40 AM
Than nothing can be done. Consider allowing the "Antihero" to use the Combat Endurance system instead.

You rather house-rule instead of refluff? :smallconfused:

How about using Action Points (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/actionPoints.htm) instead, then?Well, if I was able to come up with a suitable idea myself, I wouldn't have come here for help. Both of those are good suggestions! Thank you :smallsmile:

Recherché
2016-06-23, 04:45 AM
Well, if I was able to come up with a suitable idea myself, I wouldn't have come here for help. Both of those are good suggestions! Thank you :smallsmile:

Hmm what's your goal here? I mean what effect would you consider ideal and maybe we can help you figure out the means.

Lappy9001
2016-06-23, 05:02 AM
Hmm what's your goal here? I mean what effect would you consider ideal and maybe we can help you figure out the means.Really, just a system that is roughly equivalent to hero points. The player's new character isn't just cut from a different cloth, he was actually a long-term villain of the party who was the main minion of the dark god they're working against. Now that he has fallen from grace, so to speak, he's thrown back into the party's adventures as a begrudging ally. Kind of like a Zuko from Avatar or a Viral from Gurren Lagann.

We thought it would be fun for him to have a slightly different system in place to reflect the contrast to the PC's being defend the world types to his former allegiance with an extremely evil entity (I know there's nothing innately heroic about hero points, but something different might be neat). The 'default' option of just granting a 1st level feat seems kind of sub-par in place of the literally life-saving hero points, but Action Points actually sounds like a good way to go.

Mystral
2016-06-23, 05:09 AM
Really, just a system that is roughly equivalent to hero points. The player's new character isn't just cut from a different cloth, he was actually a long-term villain of the party who was the main minion of the dark god they're working against. Now that he has fallen from grace, so to speak, he's thrown back into the party's adventures as a begrudging ally. Kind of like a Zuko from Avatar or a Viral from Gurren Lagann.

We thought it would be fun for him to have a slightly different system in place to reflect the contrast to the PC's being defend the world types to his former allegiance with an extremely evil entity (I know there's nothing innately heroic about hero points, but something different might be neat). The 'default' option of just granting a 1st level feat seems kind of sub-par in place of the literally life-saving hero points, but Action Points actually sounds like a good way to go.

How about using the same mechanics as hero points, but different recovery mechanics? Instead of heroic actions giving hero points, self-serving actions give antihero-points.

Fayd
2016-06-23, 10:13 AM
For a game that I'm prepping, I'm giving the party access to the Hero Point system but also to a Villain Point pool as well. The VPs work as follows: A character can only have 3 total points, regardless of type (with the exception of feats that increase your cap). Villain points do everything that hero points do EXCEPT: they force rerolls on characters attempting to affect the user and can be used to impose a penalty on actions of others that seek to affect them. You generate them in largely similar ways, except that you get them by playing to the more evil angle.