PDA

View Full Version : Can you banish a Slaad?

Scathain
2016-06-23, 02:40 AM
Just as the question asks. This came up last session. In 3.5, the extraplanar subtype would say yes. Seeing as this is 5e, and this does not exist, could you banish a Slaad?

They're aberrations, not fiends or celestials, so you cannot planar bind them; they also use material plane humans for propogation. But they're by the book natives of Limbo? How would you rule on this?

Blue Lantern
2016-06-23, 03:10 AM
Just as the question asks. This came up last session. In 3.5, the extraplanar subtype would say yes. Seeing as this is 5e, and this does not exist, could you banish a Slaad?

They're aberrations, not fiends or celestials, so you cannot planar bind them; they also use material plane humans for propogation. But they're by the book natives of Limbo? How would you rule on this?

Occam's razor. The spell description of Banishment does not specify by type of the target (unless errata I'm not aware of), but only by the plane of origin. If Slaad are native to Limbo thy get send back there.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-06-23, 03:23 AM
Occam's razor. The spell description of Banishment does not specify by type of the target (unless errata I'm not aware of), but only by the plane of origin. If Slaad are native to Limbo thy get send back there.

I agree. The answer to 'can X be banished?' is always 'yes, if it's not on its home plane.' Unless X has some kind of specific rule that grants it immunity, I suppose, but I can't think of anything in the book that does that (I happen to offer that as a feat to extraplanar PCs).

For Slaad, yes most of them come from Limbo. Nearly all of them, probably. Perhaps roll a d100 and give any random Slaad have a 1% chance of being from elsewhere?

Blue Lantern
2016-06-23, 03:33 AM
I agree. The answer to 'can X be banished?' is always 'yes, if it's not on its home plane.' Unless X has some kind of specific rule that grants it immunity, I suppose, but I can't think of anything in the book that does that (I happen to offer that as a feat to extraplanar PCs).

For Slaad, yes most of them come from Limbo. Nearly all of them, probably. Perhaps roll a d100 and give any random Slaad have a 1% chance of being from elsewhere?

Just to nitpick a bit (because, what else forum are for, am I right?) you can always banish a creature, if it is in his home plane it gets banished for the duration, if not it gets banished for good, barring concentration breaks.

So if you are in limbo you banish a slaad only for a minute, if you are everywhere else you banish it to limbo permanently.

In any case the d100 is inspired.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-06-23, 05:40 AM
Just to nitpick a bit (because, what else forum are for, am I right?) you can always banish a creature, if it is in his home plane it gets banished for the duration, if not it gets banished for good, barring concentration breaks.

So if you are in limbo you banish a slaad only for a minute, if you are everywhere else you banish it to limbo permanently.

That's what I meant (even if it's not really what I said). I don't define 'banished for the duration' as properly 'banished'. It's akin to the difference between suspending a child from school for a week and excluding them permanently, and I believe the two conditions deserve different terms.

In any case the d100 is inspired.

:smallsmile: It's like, randomness is so central to the definition of Slaad that it felt natural, you know?

Regitnui
2016-06-23, 06:07 AM
Theoretically, slaad spawned on the material plane are unable to be permanently banished, but their parent would be. So take out the slaad quickly, before you get facehugged.

Falcon X
2016-06-23, 02:55 PM
Flavorwise, I would say that you could banish a Slaad. Classically, they are meant to be the Limbo version of Demons/Archons/Eladrin etc. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_planar_races
Obviously, things might have changed since 2e.
RAW, I'm no expert. I'd have to look it up.

It's worth noting how Demons are treated in the Drizzt books. While Demons are not exactly the same as Slaadi and R. A. Salvatore is not always perfectly in line with D&D, it's worth considering.
In the book "Archmage", it is shown that when a demon is destroyed on the material plane, he cannot come to the material plane again for 1 year. Some kind of law of the universe. Of course, the point of that book is that they found a way to get around that rule...

However, I doubt that "Banishing" makes the 1 year rule apply as they are not killed. I suspect that the same demon can be summoned right back. Does anybody know an official statement on this?

Prophes0r
2016-06-24, 12:38 AM
RAW: The Slaad species originated in Limbo, so yes they can always be banished.
RAI: Banish is intended to send stuff back to their plane of origin. In this case, Slaad aren't really native to the Prime Material Plane. So Yes they can be banished.

BUT. It's really up to you to account for how spells work.

Example. You could say that every individual creature "resonates" with the Plane where it started existing (IE, born, constructed, created, whatever). Banish forces you back to the Plane that you resonate with. Since the magic of Banish lasts for 1 minute, I might even rule that Banish stops you from leaving the plane you get banished to for the remainder of the duration because it keeps "realigning you to the Plane you resonate with".

Regitnui
2016-06-24, 01:39 AM
Given the nature of slaadi, I'd be quite happy with a variable-length interval like the devils; kill them, and they cannot return for a certain period. Some may be lucky enough to be able to pop right back, others could not return in a human lifetime.

JackPhoenix
2016-06-24, 08:45 AM
Banishing fiends is fun in Eberron, you never really know what will happens. A balor you meet can be a spirit of fiery destruction from Fernia, war demon from Shavarath, incarnation of death by fire from Dolurrh or generic evil fiend native to Eberron.

Blue Lantern
2016-06-24, 02:54 PM
Banishing fiends is fun in Eberron, you never really know what will happens. A balor you meet can be a spirit of fiery destruction from Fernia, war demon from Shavarath, incarnation of death by fire from Dolurrh or generic evil fiend native to Eberron.

The tenth round arrives

"Ok, guys the demon is banished"

#PUFF#

"Oh crap"