PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Change of alignment from TN to LE

Lava
2016-06-23, 05:58 AM
Hi there. Firstly, sorry if this is a silly question. I've only quite recently started playing D&D, so I'm a little unsure exactly how this situation should play out.

A bit of background might help though. I started off this campaign as a true neutral Warlock (Archfey). A series of events throughout the campaign led to making a new pact with a fiend and subsequently changing of my otherworldly patron (now Fiend). Over time, through subtle manipulations by said fiend, my character was presented with and took an opportunity to preform a ritual sacrifice on a weakened party member to gain a significant portion of this fiend's power. Afterwords, the GM notified me that my alignment had shifted to Lawful Evil.

So my question is, should I be coming up with a some code or laws my character will follow using this new alignment? How should his behavior change? Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks again.

Regitnui
2016-06-23, 06:05 AM
Cynical. "Everyone is looking out for number one, so I will too. Not much point in causing too much of a fuss, though."

Zejety
2016-06-23, 06:05 AM
You should check with your DM as there are two way to interpret his statement:
1) He uses alignment to describe your character in which case he just deemed whatever your character did LE enough to now have a LE opinion of said character. You don't have to change the way you play your character and this is not likely to affect the game barring some rare specific cases.

2) Your DM wants to inform you that the ritual actually changed the character's morality in some fundamental way. "Play your character as LE from now on" has even more different interpretations though and I would be sure to have an indepth talk with the DM to chech what exactly his/her picture of LE is and how subtle he/she wants the changes or transition to be.

MrStabby
2016-06-23, 06:06 AM
Lawful evil isn't the worst alignment to play.

A code is good, but first of all consider what code you need to be able to support your party. Work out which rules won't lead to party conflict, will enable you to support other good members and will generally add to everyone's fun.

Then work out what your new patron wants that can match that.

TurboGhast
2016-06-23, 07:01 AM
Reading this guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?448542-Compliance-Will-Be-Rewarded-A-Guide-to-Lawful-Evil) would help you play a Lawful Evil. While this guide was designed for 3rd edition, the advice it gives is sound in any edition.

Lava
2016-06-23, 05:59 PM
Thanks for replies everyone, helps a lot.

Your DM wants to inform you that the ritual actually changed the character's morality in some fundamental way. "Play your character as LE from now on" has even more different interpretations though and I would be sure to have an indepth talk with the DM to chech what exactly his/her picture of LE is and how subtle he/she wants the changes or transition to be.

This is definitely the case. Up to this point, my character hadn't done anything particularly evil or good to warrant an alignment change. Based on the campaign so far, and a few conversations I had with the DM before I knew about the ritual/alignment change, I have a pretty good idea that my character's LE should be very similar to an devil's.

RickAllison
2016-06-23, 06:27 PM
Thanks for replies everyone, helps a lot.

This is definitely the case. Up to this point, my character hadn't done anything particularly evil or good to warrant an alignment change. Based on the campaign so far, and a few conversations I had with the DM before I knew about the ritual/alignment change, I have a pretty good idea that my character's LE should be very similar to an devil's.

Ahhhhhhh... That's a fun plot-twist. I would talk with your DM about potential flashes of clarity, moments that subtly indicate something is up.

As for how to play it out, LE can mean many things, but from your description it would likely be played out as trying to corrupt others within the law of the realm.

Lava
2016-06-23, 07:06 PM
I would talk with your DM about potential flashes of clarity, moments that subtly indicate something is up.

Oh we all know that something is up, and it's not really subtle. Character has been hearing whispers in his head from his new patron for a long time (well before this ritual and patron change), often requiring Wisdom saves and a grin from the DM when I ask what would happen if I had failed. He's also had his appearance slowly changing to become more fiendish, from a half-elf to now something pretty close to a Tiefling.

I suspect as the campaign progresses, my character will probably end up being a full-blown devil, but I guess we'll see. I definitely don't mind any of these changes, fits very well with the story and is a lot of fun.

As for how to play it out, LE can mean many things, but from your description it would likely be played out as trying to corrupt others within the law of the realm.

Oh yeah, you're absolutely right. I hadn't even thought about it like that. We have some characters in the party that a LE character would love to corrupt.