PDA

View Full Version : Stacking Call Lightnings

Dalebert
2016-06-23, 07:57 AM
I discovered an interesting synergy last night completely by accident.

I was planning to cast Conjure Animals for a boss fight but decided to ask it there was already a storm in which case I was going to cast Call Lightning. Nope. But then the tempest cleric in the party cast Call Lightning with his higher initiative and it occurred to me, "NOW, there are stormy conditions for sure!", i.e. extra d10 damage per bolt.

Here's the thing though. It says the spell gives you control over the existing storm instead of creating a new one. Does that mean the cleric's spell is forced to end by me casting it?

Kryx
2016-06-23, 08:06 AM
If you are outdoors in stormy conditions when you cast this spell, the spell gives you control over the existing storm instead of creating a new one. Under such conditions, the spell's damage increases by 1d10.

Stormy conditions isn't the same thing as a single storm cloud. They would act independently as the extra damage implies to me some larger storm system than a single 10x120ft cloud.

Dalebert
2016-06-23, 08:29 AM
It doesn't say that. It doesn't give any "size of the storm" description. In fact, the entire area in which you are casting the spell is stormy. It sounds like you're making a DM call which is your prerogative if you were DMing, but in the most literal sense, it's exactly what the spell calls for.

Kryx
2016-06-23, 09:08 AM
It says what I quoted: "Stormy Conditions". No where in Call Lightning's description does it specify it creating more than that 10x120ft cloud.

My opinion is that a 10x120ft cloud does not create "Stormy Conditions".
Your opinion is that a 10x120ft cloud does create "Stormy Conditions".

The RAW does not specify either way.

gfishfunk
2016-06-23, 09:16 AM
I would be okay with it: you are getting some good synergy out of two spell casters, but they are each burning some decently high level spell slots to do so.

Also, I would also suggest, however, that both casters cannot control the same storm at the same time. There might be a tug-of-war between the two casters, perhaps two separate contested spell attack rolls.

Ace Jackson
2016-06-23, 09:17 AM
It doesn't say that. It doesn't give any "size of the storm" description. In fact, the entire area in which you are casting the spell is stormy. It sounds like you're making a DM call which is your prerogative if you were DMing, but in the most literal sense, it's exactly what the spell calls for.

Ok, let me see if I follow, you say that using call lightning causes conditions where lightning will come down, a storm, and thus two call lightning spells can feed off each other for stormy conditions. Is this your position?

Dalebert
2016-06-23, 10:08 AM
Ok, let me see if I follow, you say that using call lightning causes conditions where lightning will come down, a storm, and thus two call lightning spells can feed off each other for stormy conditions. Is this your position?

My position is that casting Call Lightning creates the necessary conditions for the extra die of damage for a 2nd Call Lightning cast in the same area. It comes with a question, however. Does the first caster lose their Call Lightning because it also says you take control of the existing storm. I'm inclined to say "yes", the original caster loses theirs. This seems like the RAW to me. They don't "feed off of each other". The 2nd one is boosted by the 1st but not vice-versa.

Even so, it might be worth it to do. For instance, if I cast it first (a moon druid), then I'll get one attack with it. If the tempest cleric casts it second, he will get an extra die of damage with each bolt and he can channel to do max damage with a bolt. If he also up-casts it with a higher slot, this can be a great synergy despite that I lose any extra bolts after the first one.

Slipperychicken
2016-06-23, 10:43 AM
A single 10x120ft cloud with no rain is hardly what I'd call stormy conditions.

Dalebert
2016-06-23, 11:24 AM
A single 10x120ft cloud with no rain is hardly what I'd call stormy conditions.

First line of the spell: "A storm cloud appears..."

And then deadly lightning bolts start shooting out of it every round.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-23, 12:21 PM
Must.... Resist... 4 Tempest Cleric party...

Even without using the previous storm as a storm... Get all 4 a high initiative and Wis.

3rd level spell slot 12d10 on creatures within 5'. Maximized due to cleric ability... 120 damage each (lets say 4 creatures) for a total of 480 total potential damage.

Each round after that would just 12d10 (non-maximized, 65 each creature for potentially 260). I think some Heighten Spell would be nice to get rid of some lucky rolls.

For a 3rd level slot this could be fun. You can each also have Spiritual Weapon up and running.

Sianthus
2016-06-23, 12:27 PM
Oh gosh.. 4 tempest cleric party would be insane DPS with consecutive Call Lightnings :smalleek:. Pity it would be completely useless indoor though aha. Everyone would just wade in with their heavy armor and just start whacking i suppose :D

R.Shackleford
2016-06-23, 12:30 PM
Oh gosh.. 4 tempest cleric party would be insane DPS with consecutive Call Lightnings :smalleek:. Pity it would be completely useless indoor though aha. Everyone would just wade in with their heavy armor and just start whacking i suppose :D

Yeah even when you can't pull this off... You are still 4 really quick clerics. If you MC another caster you can pick up lightning bolt for similar tactics in doors.

gfishfunk
2016-06-23, 12:58 PM
Furthermore, the more often you pull off this combo, the more often your GM will devise ways to get you fighting in tight tunnels.

RickAllison
2016-06-23, 01:00 PM
Furthermore, the more often you pull off this combo, the more often your GM will devise ways to get you fighting in tight tunnels.

"The princess's kidnappers are deep in these underground caves. You will have to enter to resume her."

"PCs, level the mountain! Nothing must be hidden from the skies!"

Giant2005
2016-06-23, 01:23 PM

More like the more often you will be facing enemies that steal your Call Lightning spells.
Like pretty much anything else you abuse, it will become too dangerous to use at all.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-23, 01:37 PM

You're confused.

This is specifically to get enemies to go underground, they can then be cornered easier.

Plus if the bad guys won't come out then the roads and towns are safe. Win win.

:p

R.Shackleford
2016-06-23, 01:41 PM
More like the more often you will be facing enemies that steal your Call Lightning spells.
Like pretty much anything else you abuse, it will become too dangerous to use at all.

I figured

Zeus would challenge the party to a dual.

Lightning elemental will accidentally called

Noise complaints by the local HOA.

Sianthus
2016-06-23, 02:15 PM
Noise complaints by the local HOA.

Ah yes. The dreaded noise complaint. The ultimate bane to all hoping to cast some spells after say, 9 pm.

RickAllison
2016-06-23, 02:31 PM
Ah yes. The dreaded noise complaint. The ultimate bane to all hoping to cast some spells after say, 9 pm.

"METEOR SWARM"

"You young whippersnappers better hush up that spellcasting or I'll take my cane to your gnoll-backs! When I was your age, we cast our magic with radishes and silence. Darn youngsters..."

Dalebert
2016-06-23, 04:20 PM
Did I word this well? I'm still learning how to be word count-efficient for Twitter.

http://i.imgur.com/mTO8vmq.png

R.Shackleford
2016-06-23, 04:37 PM
Did I word this well? I'm still learning how to be word count-efficient for Twitter.

http://i.imgur.com/mTO8vmq.png

I thought you was saying AI (artificial intelligence) but looks good enough.

Vogonjeltz
2016-06-24, 08:30 AM
I discovered an interesting synergy last night completely by accident.

I was planning to cast Conjure Animals for a boss fight but decided to ask it there was already a storm in which case I was going to cast Call Lightning. Nope. But then the tempest cleric in the party cast Call Lightning with his higher initiative and it occurred to me, "NOW, there are stormy conditions for sure!", i.e. extra d10 damage per bolt.

Here's the thing though. It says the spell gives you control over the existing storm instead of creating a new one. Does that mean the cleric's spell is forced to end by me casting it?

An interesting question. The initial phrasing, that stormy weather conditions exist, would suggest a natural event already in progress. However, the sentence ends with "the spell gives you control over the existing storm instead of creating a new one." emphasis added. That implies that the Call Lightning storm cloud is stormy conditions, albeit not as wide ranging as a natural one.

But...yes, I'd say if I were to allow this, it would cancel the other casters spell (which in turn would cancel your spell). So it would act like a dispel magic on the call lightning cloud.