PDA

View Full Version : Build me a Warlord

left
2016-06-23, 11:38 AM
5e, where the warlords at. Please try to build one.

Warlord = heal+support with no magic. You can use any published material + unearthed arcana material or the darksun phb. Level 10.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-23, 11:44 AM
I still need to tweak a few things but if you are open to homebrew... My signature has a Warlord.

But for official stuff...

I would go Strength based vuman (moderately armored) rogue.

Go either thief or swashbuckler, refluff and take healer or Inspiring leader feat at 4.

Edit

Mastermind is another great option.

Finlam
2016-06-23, 11:47 AM
5e, where the warlords at. Please try to build one.

Warlord = heal+support with no magic. You can use any published material + unearthed arcana material or the darksun phb. Level 10.
Paladin with Int replacing Cha, spellcasting and smiting replaced with Bardic Inspiration, and the Paladin detect undead/good/evil and other pseudo-religious order abilities removed/reflavored.

I think that should get you about 90% of the way there.

Seppo87
2016-06-23, 11:52 AM
A 3 lv dip in Battlemaster, because they have maneuvers that fulfill this role perfectly

ruy343
2016-06-23, 11:53 AM
Battlemaster fighter actually has some maneuvers that might give you what you're looking for (one of which is even named "Commander's Strike"

Alternately, see my signature for a character class that I created that's basically a fighter who also uses intelligence in combat. it's probably a bit underpowered as it stands, but you can go ahead and use it.

left
2016-06-23, 11:54 AM
I was thinking a rogue mastermind for bonus action helping, then spelless ranger with commanding strike as a manuver and finally throw in some athesian bard. Pick up inspiring leader and healer feats. There is a bard subclass which looks like a lot of fun, but I don't think it was in unearthed arcana. The maestro who uses a conductors wand and bardic inspiration dice.

Rogue 4, ranger 2, bard 4.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-06-23, 06:09 PM
Variant Human Fighter (Purple Dragon Knight) 17/Rogue (Mastermind) 3, splashed in wherever you see fit. Take Inspiring Leader as your racial feat, and maybe Healer at some point if you feel strongly about it. Grant everyone temporary hit points with inspiring speeches, share your Second Winds and Action Surges, spend your bonus actions to Help your allies, and fight better when you fight with a friend (ie, trigger Sneak Attack by "flanking"). That's about as good as you'll get, I think.

fbelanger
2016-06-23, 06:47 PM
Why this obsession to make a warlord with no magic?
All healing is done with magic in 5 Ed.

RickAllison
2016-06-23, 06:51 PM

Not all. Banneret heals others with Second Wind and the Healer feat allows nonmagical healing IIRC.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-23, 08:06 PM

Umm... Hit Dice is a pretty core system in 5e that isn't magical.

RickAllison
2016-06-23, 08:22 PM
I have an idea that could work as a basic modification of the Eldritch Knight/Arcane Trickster. I would have to think more on other features, but it would basically replace the spellcasting of those 1/3 caster with the potions chart of the UA Artificer. I would have to fiddle around with the non-healing potions (remove blatantly magical ones like Invisbility, add ones with non-magical explanations like Heroism, etc.) and I think the Supreme potion would need to be added for the 4th-level capstone.

Sindeloke
2016-06-23, 09:14 PM

"Why do you want this thing you like to be in 5e? It isn't in 5e."

Yes, that's the point, thank you.

Kane0
2016-06-24, 01:57 AM
You'd probably be looking at a Purple Dragon or Battlemaster fighter crossed with a bit of Mastermind rogue, then pick up the inspiring leader feat. Share your abilities or use superiority dice to enable allies to make attacks, use your bonus action to help and give your party some THPs on a rest. On top of that you have decent combat ability yourself and some skill expertise.

Arkhios
2016-06-24, 05:19 AM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482261-PEACH-Warlord)'s my take on the Warlord as a class. If your GM is open for Homebrew, please, take a look and whether or not, I'd like to hear feedback on the brew. :smallsmile:

Leith
2016-06-24, 07:17 PM
I don't get it. Is this supposed to be hard? Battlemaster and Banneret have abilities ripped right out of the warlord. You probably wont get the same feel 'cause it's a different edition and the abilities of the archetypes function differently to the powers of 4e.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-24, 09:11 PM
I don't get it. Is this supposed to be hard? Battlemaster and Banneret have abilities ripped right out of the warlord. You probably wont get the same feel 'cause it's a different edition and the abilities of the archetypes function differently to the powers of 4e.

Both the Battlemaster and the Banneret are absolute terrible warlords.

Arkhios
2016-06-24, 11:31 PM
Both the Battlemaster and the Banneret are absolutely terrible warlords.
fixed that for you :P
Agreed on that, which is why many have taken up the challenge of homebrewing Warlord into a class (I found out there were others only after I made mine; didn't steal anything intentionally).