PDA

View Full Version : Proving Grounds [IC; Andreas]

Tuvarkz
2016-06-23, 11:49 AM
For the past few days, all the tavern chatter has been about is "adventure" this and "treasure" that, and today is no different. Taking the only empty seat at the Shadow's Blood Tavern in Stonesong, you hear the people to your left whispering about some treasure map they supposedly acquired, while the one on your right is loudly telling to anyone who will listen how he tried and failed to make his fortune in the mountains. Pointing above, at the mounted Kitka claws above - three foot, razor sharp blades of bone - he shouts, "I saw one of those! Straight north-east, in the mountains. Nearly soiled my pants, I'll tell you what!"

The few paying attention to the obviously drunk man jeer and laugh, and the bartender laughs with them as he refills his mug with somewhat weaker ale. "Should've killed it! We could've opened a new branch in Woodsrow and Kallkin!" You vaguely recall hearing that another part of the same Kitka mounted here was put in a sister bar in Heartrock, but the exact piece escapes you. Still, it's interesting news - Kitka sightings are extraordinarily rare, and taken very seriously. Only one other confirmed case has been reported in the past decade.

The bar chatter continues, with a few people offering drinks to you as they recognize your distinctive build. You hear of an expedition group moving west of Heartrock, going straight up the river into the mountains, and another going into the mountains due north, supposedly returning when a trap killed three of eight. The most relevant news, though, is rumor of a firebreathing monster in the forests to the west. Some hypothesize it's a dragon, while the more level-headed list off other fiery monsters it could be, and warn against foolishly chasing a potential dragon's treasure. Either way, it could be dangerous - even if it isn't a dragon, setting fire to the forests would likely drive herbivore populations down, while most monsters would survive and potentially be driven to hunt closer to the city.

How long do you want to hang around? It's been, lets say two hours into the night (after sundown). You've got work in ten hours or so.

Also, if you want me to go into detail in any of the conversations, just ask.

As he is offered drinks, Andreas accepts them with a thankful smile, although the half-giant is sure to not order any further, even if his massive size would have him need far more if only to make him barely tipsy. However, the news about a firebreathing monster in the nearby forest is potentially troubling-as is, Stonesong doesn't need further problems; and acting early could prevent any further issues. Thus, he remains for another hour listening to the talk about the creature in the forest; to see what direction to take about it come the next day.

((OoC: I believe Andreas's Leadership score gets up to 10, which nets him 5 followers. I'd like them to be the fighter-type, as Andreas's subordinates in the city guard)).

After about half an hour, conversation begins leading away from talk about the fire breathing monster, but from the information given, it sounds like people have only caught glimpses of it. One person says he heard it was green, blending into the forest and killing before anyone really knew it was there. Another says it was red and huge, crushing trees and people alike.

The next morning, a report gives you a perfect opportunity to investigate the creature. A small fire broke out in the forest nearest the city, and guards have been running water over and hacking at trees to create a fire break, to moderate success. As you and a few other guards run in, you hear a few whispered words of arcane power from above, and then, the whispered words, "go deeper into the woods if you want your subordinates to live. I'll be a fair judge."

You qualify for all the + leadership things, so you're actually at 8 followers. They are all lieutenants (Fighter 1), each with their own guards you don't directly control (4-6 warriors). You are by far the strongest guard captain (the others are Fighter 3, Fighter 4, and Fighter 4/Barbarian 1), but you've never been considered an option for the more frilly, bureaucratic roles above. However, your sway among them is huge, and you basically do what you'd like.

"Looks like we've got company." Andreas send such a mental message to Liara over her collective. "Everyone, keep pushing forward! Eyes on the forest, don't get too confident in our numbers!" Focusing on a nearby tree, the half-giant took a moment to focus, and swung with terrible might at it with his psionically-charged weapon!
((Liara's collective only has Andreas in it as of right now))

The tree comes crashing down in a single swing, causing the group to cheer, sure that they will clear the area with your help. The voice returns, saying, "I hope that was only keeping up the act, and not an attempt to catch me..."

At the group's cheering, the half giant heartily rose his greatsword to the sky, roaring with encouragement for his fellows. As his subordinates got back to work, Andreas gave a look upwards, as if saying to the voice in the trees: "Both of us are better than that." ((Taking 10 on Bluff to send a secret message, for a result of 25)). While the warder had charged his first attack, more would be wasteful, and thus instead relied on Liara to finish down with her hammer any trees his sword wouldn't completely slash through.

"Hmph. I warned you..."

As you chop down another tree, a blur of green drops to the ground with a crunching thud, landing in the fire break. With a cacophonous roar, it blasts the nearby area with acid, which you barely dodge. Your suboordinates are less fortunate - One of them, caught in the blast, falls to the ground, limp, lifeless, and melted beyond recognition, while many of them panic at the sight of such a mighty being. "Hahaha, yes, cower before me!"*

*Draconic

You take 14 acid damage. This is a surprise round, where both you and Liara can act. He's landed 10 feet away from you, and I suppose 50 feet from Liara? The acid breath was a 40 foot cone and has melted one random guard. Each of eight guards within 120 feet is Panicked. You're unafraid, but Liara is Shaken.

((I assumed Liara would be within 10 feet of Andreas as the two were working within the same tree(s), which would grant her a +2 to will saves from Andreas's Aegis bonus. If this makes her not shaken anymore, then add a +2 to the Aid Another check I'll be rolling on the dice roller thread immediately afterwards)).
As the dragon fell from the trees, Liara roared to encourage her fellows, sending a further boost of precision towards Andreas. The half-giant then pounced upon the dragon, slamming the being with a barrage of attacks.
((Liara will use Encouraring Roar as a swift action, giving all allies within 30 feet of her a +2 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls. Additionally, she will use Aid Another from a distance onto Andreas, giving him a +3 bonus to his next attack. Andreas will use Psionic Lion's Charge as a swift action, allowing him a full attack upon charging, and do a standard action charge. I checked the paizo FAQs, and a standard action charge+ a pounce effect does allow a full attack upon completion. He will also charge his weapon before each attack, dealing an extra 2d6 damage per hit and burning a point of PP with each hit as well(charges are preserved when an attack misses). On his first attack that hits, he will use his Armiger's Mark, causing the dragon to take a -6 penalty to his attack rolls if he attacks someone that isn't Andreas and taking a 14% Arcane Spell failure chance. The mark lasts 4 rounds.))

Ah, okay. Continuing here. For future reference, it's probably best to put the results, or a link to the dice roller, in your PM.

You hit once. I don't think you have a bigger threat range than the standard 5 feet (No Defensive Focus set up, no reach weapon, medium size), but take AoOs if you get them. It double-moves away with no other actions, so its starting square isn't threatened.

With a surprised snarl, the dragon is sent reeling by Andreas's first mighty swing, which cleaves through its scales and leaves a deep chest wound. It beats its wings to disengage, narrowly avoiding a second swing and flying away.

Oops, forgot Zweihander Sentinel's Defensive Reach. You get an AoO.

As the dragon tried to move away, Andreas unleashed a Vital Strike at it! ((Using Seize the Opportunity. Also, since my second attack missed, sword should still be charged-Again, if the dragon was threatening another ally from its starting position, +2 to attack/damage. Also, a landing position would be nice for Andreas's turn.))

AoO attack roll
[roll0]
AoO damage roll
[roll1]

EDIT: The attack should've been a +15, not +18.

r2d2go
2016-06-24, 02:41 AM
Flying far out of your reach, the dragon's disembodied voice whispers at you again. "Surprisingly strong... but that won't save you." It disappears into the woods, and you lose track of it in the distance.

Shortly after, the other guards come to their senses, and return to you. They seem to have varying degrees of fear of relief apparent on their faces - One especially close guard loses his lunch in a bush. For now, it seems you've done your job - the fire is contained, and the dragon has fled. Still, its words make you think that this is nowhere near over, and its return will be sooner rather than later.

Hide [roll0]
Perception [roll1]
Sense Motive [roll2]

Nothing happens for at least a minute. You lost track of the dragon at about 200 feet away, right after the first round.

Tuvarkz
2016-06-24, 03:56 AM
Andreas cursed, his miserable swings having allowed the dragon to get away, and then started checking how many of his subordinates had died. In the meantime, Liara started mentally linking the most wounded allies to her collective and healing them as fast as she could. (Liara has 19 PP, and can heal 4 HP per PP spent, she will prioritize those that are unconscious/closest to death and then those that are only barely conscious, adding and removing more of Andreas's subordinates as needed given her limit of only 3 additional people in her total collective.).
"Well, there was a dragon in the forest, just not of the firebreathing kind. Those of you that had healing potions, make sure to give them to those that may urgently need them!" The half-giant decided to let his subordinates catch a break and gather the corpses of the dead, or what remained of them for proper burial; while he himself finishes any trees that still need to be cut. Andreas also made a mental note to have the guards double up, as the dragon was more than likely to come back; as well as to have the town guards reccomend any adventurers to prepare some means of acid resistance if they were going to the forest. He'd rather go and hunt the dragon down before the beast caused any more havoc, but one couldn't really track a flying creature, and trying to the dragon's lair would be foolish.

r2d2go
2016-06-26, 01:37 AM
A quick headcount reveals that, mercifully, only the one subordinate perished, and the others are mostly uninjured, save for the burns caused by fleeing through the trees. The group rests, seemingly relieved, and watch from a distance as you finish the fire break to ensure the flame does not spread.

However, as you cut the furthest tree, you feel a prickle on your skin as the air around you shifts. Whipping around, you see that the dragon is flying at you at a breakneck pace, somehow silently pushing branches aside as it speeds forward, a green glow building in its mouth. As it nears, the glow predictably blossoms into a stream of acidic gas, melting a huge cone of wildlife, though you avoid the brunt of the blast. As the gas clears, you have a brief moment to react as the dragon's mouth closes and it passes overhead...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Three people healed for 4 PP (treated for burns) and added to the collective. The dragon is 40 feet directly overhead. Everyone else is at least 60 feet away.

You take 17 acid damage.

It's your turn in the surprise round.

Also, I should mention - While I spent a bit of extra time deciding on the dragon's decisions this time, if I ever take more than 48 hours to respond without me PMing you to mention I'm going to be delayed, feel free to remind me. Managing this many solo games at once means I make mistakes and forget things irritatingly often, so I'm happy to be reminded :smallsmile:

Tuvarkz
2016-06-26, 06:06 AM
((Liara will have dropped the first person she healed, then, leaving the latter two in her collective.))
As he took damage, a quick mental message resulted in healing energy being transmitted to the half giant through the collective, and in a burst of psionic power, Andreas quadrupled his size, the dragon now in reach of his now gargantuan blade, as he roared: "You think you are safe in the skies?"
((Liara will burn 6 PP to heal Andreas for 24 hp as a free action, enter Sleeping Goddess style as swift, and use her move action to recover her psionic focus. In the meantime, Andreas will enter the Iron Tortoise Style as a swift action, and then manifest Augmented Expansion as standard, expending 7 PP to grow to a Huge Size. His AC is now effectively 22. Quadrupling his size means he should be now at 33'4" of height, which, with a 20 foot threaten area, means the dragon should now be within his reach.))

r2d2go
2016-06-26, 10:55 AM
Yep, you can reach the dragon. With poor maneuverability, I'll call it two provokes of AoO (three squares, but first is nonprovoking)

Frantically pulling up, the dragon exposes itself for several seconds as it attempts to pull out of reach of the now very giant half-giant.

Tuvarkz
2016-06-26, 11:39 AM
((Unless it's two move actions within my reach, I believe the dragon would only provoke once. It doesn't provoke once per square, but once per move from each enemy, so if it leaves two of my provoked squares in a single move, it still only provokes once. Also, last attack missed so weapon is still charged))
As the dragon tried to ran away, the titanic Andreas tried to take his enemy out! ((Vital Striking via Seize the Opportunity. 6d6 plus two size increases jumps to 12d6, doubled from Vital Strike.))
Attack roll [roll0]
Damage roll [roll1]

r2d2go
2016-06-26, 06:46 PM
Huh. You're right, that must've been a houserule somewhere I thought was RAW...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

With a single mighty blow, you open a huge bloody fissure in the dragon's underside, running from neck to hind leg, and send it flying several meters off course. You notice now that the wound you inflicted earlier seems to have been reduced to a jagged scar, forming a gruesome X with the new wound. The dragon shakily continues to climb, then begins to turn back towards the ground, as if approaching for another pass.

Tuvarkz
2016-06-27, 03:22 AM
As the dragon prepared itself to swoop down, Andreas took a defensive position, fortifiying his surroundings! Liara, in the meantime, spent more psionic power to heal herself, moving towards the half-giant and roaring in encouragement!
((Andreas will activate his Defensive focus, increasing his threatened area by 10 feet in all directions and turning it into difficult terrain. Afterwards, he will activate his Intruder's End counter, allowing him to teleport within his threatened area to make attacks of opportunity and teleporting back, effectively allowing him to get to the dragon while it's mid-air if it enters his extended threatened area(plus a +2 circumstance bonus on attack rolls for AoOs). Liara will burn 4PP and her psionic focus to heal herself for 16 hp, then move 30 feet and from there use Encouraging Roar on Andreas, giving him a +2 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls for the round. She will then recover her psionic focus, recovering the Encouraging Roar maneuver as part of it.))

r2d2go
2016-06-27, 11:22 PM
So, 30 feet total threat. I feel like I'm missing something, though - Defensive Focus normally only turns the ground into difficult terrain when you hit level 10, and doesn't provide teleportation, only that you "may move as part of these attacks of opportunity, provided her total movement before her next turn does not exceed her speed". Do you have some ability that changes this?

Either way, 17 Acid damage, and it's 40 feet above you. Liara's now 30 feet from you.

Swooping down, the dragon fires off another cone of acidic gas from 40 feet above Andreas, then turns to retreat again.

[roll0]

Tuvarkz
2016-06-28, 11:24 AM
((You were right, the Defensive focus turning into diff terrain happens at 10th level. The teleporting was from my Intruder's End counter. Also, from now onwards, mind letting me roll saves instead? Given the fact that I have a counter that modifies saves, plus a possible series of conditional modifers, I'd rather roll those myself. This would slow down things, but I have plenty of active hours so it shouldn't be too harsh))
Liara used the last of her power points to heal the giant warrior once more fully and kept giving him encouragement. In the meantime, Andreas, decided that if the dragon wouldn't come to him, he'd go to the dragon, as he formed a psionic skin around his body!
((Liara will burn her last 6 PP to once more cap off Andreas full HP, Encouraging Roar, and then recover psionic focus as move, regaining the maneuver. Andreas will spend a fullround action manifesting Form Astral Armor, choosing the Astral Skin form and spending 2 PP to further augment it. He gains the following:
-Free: Speed x2 (+10 base speed), Nimble(+2 DEX, increases AC by 1 effectively), Evasion (As the rogue class feature)
-2 points: Initiator's Soul (Still not clear whether I'd get my full manifester level or half HD as IL, but half HD is enough: choosing Veiled Moon and Mithral Current, grabbing the following maneuvers: Fading Strike, Iron Wave, Call the Soul's Blade; plus the Reaching Blade Stance)
-4 points: Fly (2 base, another 2 points to increase the speed by another 40 feet, granting me a total of 80 feet before reduction, 55 after reduction) ))

r2d2go
2016-06-28, 09:50 PM
You doing saves is fine, but it means I'll probably put the results as "if success" and "if failure" in separate spoilers. I think it's best if we do that, but only allow viewing the one that happens.

Reflex Save DC 19:
No damage, because you have evasion now. Unless Form Astral Armor is a 1 round cast, and only takes effect next round, in which case take 15 damage, and make a concentration check.

31 damage, and if Form Astral Armor is a 1 round cast, make a concentration check.

The dragon loops around, then fires another blast of acid at you.

[roll0], [roll1]

Tuvarkz
2016-06-29, 02:25 AM
Andreas, sensing the dragon's breath coming, tried to dodge it! Afterwards, the half-giant moved in the dragon's direction, suddenly teleporting into the middle of the air and striking the dragon from above, trying to use his own weight to try and make the dragon crash along with himself!
((Sanguine perseverance as immediate to counter, replacing my saving throw with a sense motive check. Liara will once more use Encouraging Roar and then proceed to use Aid Another on Andreas to recover her maneuver, attempting to give him a +3 bonus to his next attack roll. Fading Strike lets Andreas teleport up to his movement speed, his fly of 55ft in this case, so assuming the dragon is once more 40 ft above, Andreas should manage to teleport directly above said dragon. Not sure what to roll for trying to crush the dragon into falling into the ground, though. Andreas will also charge his blade as a free action for another 2d6 damage.))
Sanguine Perseverance check (replaces reflex)
[roll0]
Aid Another check (on a nat 1, Andreas takes -3 on his next attack roll)
[roll1]
Andreas attack
[roll2]
Damage
[roll3]

r2d2go
2016-06-29, 02:58 PM
Dodging the acid breath, you blink above the dragon and slash. As you crash into the dragon's back, you realize it has gone limp, almost certainly dead. The corpse's momentum carries it (and possibly you) several hundred feet into the trees, crushing them into the ground, until it finally comes to a rest. You hear the cheers of your subordinates, who are now clustered around few hundred feet away.

Curiously, though, a small pop rings through the forest, causing all to wince, and suddenly, a torrent of material comes out of the dragon's mouth. Mostly silver and copper coins form a sizeable pile, perhaps a foot tall and seven feet across, and on top lie two slender sticks you suspect are wands and a scroll case.

You can follow the dragon as it falls if you'd like. I'm still not sure if Form Astral Armor is a full-round or a 1 round cast - I assume it's full-round, since otherwise you would have made a concentration check?

+4800 XP, Liara +1600 XP.

It's around 1,100,000 copper pieces, 32000 silver pieces, 1200 gold pieces, and 76 platinum pieces.

Tuvarkz
2016-06-30, 02:52 AM
((To confirm, Form Astral Armor is a full round action. Also, regarding EXP, we were running on normal or fast track?))
"Alright, everyone, let's take a couple trips back and forth to haul the coins back to the city. Prioritize picking up the silver pieces first!" Taking advantage of his still increased size, Andreas chopped off the dragon's head, planning to have it turned into a trophy for the city guard later on. He then started stuffing his and Liara's bags with the gold and platinum coins, as well as the magical items, to be later taken to the local spellcasters for identification; filling the bags with some silver coins. His bag full and returned to normal size, Andreas picked up the dragon's head and led his men the way back home.

r2d2go
2016-07-02, 03:41 AM
As you near the pile, you feel a painful shock, and freeze involuntarily. Soon, a voice begins to speak, but you see no source for it. "That should get your attention... hello. If you are hearing this, you have slain, disabled, tricked, or otherwise waylaid the daughter of a very powerful dragon. If the body has not already disappeared, that means that I am currently busy and unable to appropriately resolve this issue, give her an appropriate lecture, and take her away from likely terrorizing whoever you are. Please take the white-and-gold stick and snap it above her body. Consider doing so sooner rather than later, as if you do not, it will be assumed that she was slain by a powerful unintelligent being, and a very expensive contingency will be activated, involving a minimum of painful death for all involved. Once this task is complete, help yourself to the remaining treasure provided. Thank you." With a pop, the scroll case disappears from the pile, and you notice that the others have formed a partial circle around the pile, mostly looking confused, then glancing towards you for direction.

Tuvarkz
2016-07-02, 05:09 AM
Still in his giant form, ((Andreas's Expansion lasts for 8 minutes, so he should still have a few minutes worth of it)) Andreas sent a telepathic message to Liara through the collective "Do as the voice says, I'll ready my blade if the dragon tries anything once it is brought back." As she approached, the half-giant stepped back from the corpse, his blade held readied upon the dragon. Liara then snapped the mentioned stick above the dragon's body.

r2d2go
2016-07-02, 02:55 PM
The stick is snapped, and... Nothing apparent happens.

Tuvarkz
2016-07-02, 03:20 PM
"Not a resurrection? Hm, given that the dragon has been given death for assaulting us, I believe that should amount for proper upholding of the law. Everyone, pack as many coins and valuables as you can, prioritizing the silver ones, and let's go back home. We'll come back to pickup the rest afterwards. A couple of you, please pickup our fallen colleague's corpse for proper burial." Andreas then started stuffing his and Liara's bags with the gold and platinum coins, as well as the other magical items, to be later taken to the local spellcasters for identification; filling the bags with some silver coins.

r2d2go
2016-07-04, 03:02 AM
You return, though your men are somewhat more shaken now. Still, it's quite the payday, and even after burying their friend, it only takes a round or two to return to reasonable spirits.

By the time you return from identification services, you can already start hearing rumors spread. Slaying a dragon, even for such a well-known, powerful individual, tends to make some waves, and you get even more attention than usual. Particularly bold drinkers ask for the story, while others approach in less boisterous manners - a child asks for your autograph to the chagrin of his parents, several women wave their handkerchiefs at you, and you can't walk past a bar without being offered a free drink. Even after the sun sets, some of this attention persists essentially everywhere but the respected privacy of your home.

Magic stuff: The other wand is a 39 charge Wand of Cure Light Wounds.

The scroll case appears to have a few trinkets stored within - a burnt-out, cracked diamond, a small stone that gives the user a second, extradimensional stomach to store items in once per day (a modified Hoard Gullet from 3.5 - it holds any amount, lasts 16 hours, and is worth about 4800 gp), a Feather Token (Tree), and a statuette of wondrous power made from an oak seed (Bronze Griffin).

Tuvarkz
2016-07-04, 04:24 AM
From the gathered coins, Andreas assigned each of his lieutenants and their subordinates the equivalent a month's worth of pay (almost jokingly giving them said bonus in mostly copper coins); and then had a couple of them deliver a year's worth of pay to the family of their deceased fellow (Using silver and golden coins this time instead).

The half-giant told the story every time he was asked about it, being descriptly enough of the battle, but not talking about the eerie message after he had slain the dragon, and signed the autograph with a smile. While Andreas did accept the first few drinks, as soon as the first effects of alcohol started to appear, he politely refused any further.

((OoC: What's the gold total after the bonuses? Also, what is the current weapons/armor the lieutenants are using?))

r2d2go
2016-07-06, 05:14 AM
A month's pay is 10 gp, so it's a total of 250 gp given out, so 15910 gp left.

Currently, the Lieutenants are using nonmasterwork gear - two greatswords, two longswords, one bow, one lance, one glaive, one dwarven waraxe, two heavy shields, one chain shirt, three scale mail, two splint mail, one banded mail, one hide armor.

Tuvarkz
2016-07-06, 06:36 AM
After a night of proper sleep, Andreas went to the city guard's offices to see if there was any other matter that needed attention.
((OoC: If none, Andreas will take Liara and a couple lieutenants alongside him to the city's market, to go buy gear and magic items, which brings the question: Are you going to be rolling for magic items available, or do can I just buy whatever my funds can afford? Also, the bow you mentioned in the lieutenants' gear, is it a longbow or a shortbow? Is it composite?))

r2d2go
2016-07-06, 04:49 PM
The area seems to be calm for now, with nothing but regularly scheduled patrols on the office boards.

Magic items that are under CL 4 and with no spells > level 2 are readily available. Items with CL 5 or 6 and/or spell level 3 are harder to find (I'd say roll Diplomacy for Gather Information, or Knowledge (Local), both DC 20), but easily commissionable. Items with CL 7+ or spell level 4+ are not available.

The bow is a composite longbow.

Tuvarkz
2016-07-11, 12:36 PM
With the recently acquired wealth, Andreas acquired masterwork weapons for all his lieutenants (although, unaware of the exact draw of his bow-using lieutenant, instead got a set of masterwork durable arrows); in addition to buying a protective ring for Liara, and some magic crafting materials to boost his cloak with. Afterwards, he returned to distribute the new weapons, ordering the old weapons to be stashed as spares.
In his office, the half-giant equipped his spellcraft-boosting necklace and started tinkering with his cloak.

Spending 2418 gp to buy all the lieutenants mwk weapons, except for the bow, getting 20 mwk durable arrows instead. In addition, buying a Ring of Protection +1 for Liara (Either she takes 10 in Diplo for DC 20, or Andreas takes 10 and Liara's Aid Another lets him breach 20), and spending 2500 gp in magical materials to start work on upgrading the cloak of resistance on Andreas from +2 to +3. The Spellcraft DC is 20, and taking 10 with the Spellcraft boosted by the armillary amulet, which is 18; and will keep working on it for the next 4 days, unless something comes up.

r2d2go
2016-07-13, 03:14 AM
Note: Knowledge (Local)/gathering information only tells you if an item is present - Fortunately, Rings of Shielding are relatively ubiquitous in their use and so it was easy to locate and purchase one.

Two days into your tinkering, you get a report. Several guards returned to the site and found the dragon's body had disappeared, though evidence of the battle remained. Even more curious, part of the report is a message from what seems to be the dragon's father, who apparently left a five-foot wide stone tablet etched with something in Draconic. The words are reproduced as well as the scribes could manage, allowing you to read the somewhat distorted lettering - "Thanks. Come to meet? NNW of this."

Tuvarkz
2016-07-13, 11:39 AM
Andreas nodded at the report, and leaving the acquired gold under Liara's care (alongside a few instructions on what to do should he not come back), headed out towards the alleged location of the stone tablet, and, upon confirming the message, went in the written direction. While indeed it could be a trap, risking insulting the pride of a dragon and having one completely destroy the city was a possibility should he choose to ignore the invitation.

r2d2go
2016-07-14, 03:24 AM
Walking through the woods, you find the assorted sounds of wildlife reassuring - If animals are about, monsters aren't. You don't see any signs of danger until you make it all the way to the mountains, quite unusual for such a long journey. While the animals do prove a nuisance on occasion, leaping towards Liara before quickly being scared off or killed by your might, you are far from being threatened by mundane creatures.

Eventually, you make it to what you assume is the cave the note spoke of. The trees have grown sparse as you got closer to mountainous terrain, making it easy to glance several hundred meters left and right and verify an absence of caves to either side. It seems strangely clean, the stone floor of the cave almost entirely dirt and dust free, save for the first five feet of the entrance. Inside, you see what's likely the cause of this - a huge gelatinous cube, some sixty feet into the cave. It seems that it completely blocks this entrance, which is about fifteen feet high.

[roll0]

Tuvarkz
2016-07-14, 04:42 AM
Wary of the ooze, Andreas considered his options-the gelatinous cube might as well be a security measure left by the dragon. After a quick mental note to Liara to stand a good distance behind him, the half giant spoke firmly (and somewhat loudly) in draconic, as if trying to see whether someone sentient was in the cave at the moment: "Is the master of this lair here?" The two warriors, however, were more than ready for any sudden activity, and had their weapons in hand. ((Andreas is about 45 feet away from the ooze, while Liara is 10 feet further behind him, just in range of his Aegis.))

r2d2go
2016-07-14, 06:34 AM
[roll0]

You can't quite identify the spell - largely because of the muffling/distorting effect of the cube and the distance away.

Despite the muffling effect of fifteen feet of gelatinous mass, you seem to be heard, as you can hear the faint mutter of a spellcast, then a mighty voice from behind the cube calling, "Ah, yes. Come in." The cube moves aside, and you see now that it appears to be something of a living door, with a large alcove made in the side of the cave and a groove in the ground forcing it to only move along that path. Light pouring in from outside the cave lets you see about 200 feet into what appears to be about a hundred foot hallway descending into a more spacious cavern within. While you can only see a small slice of the larger room, from what you can see, there is a large pool of liquid covering most of the area, with only perhaps five to ten feet of a stone rim around the pool on the side you can see. The liquid is hard to judge - it's mostly clear, though it gives the stone behind it a green tint, and must be relatively deep, as most of the pool looks a much darker green.

Tuvarkz
2016-07-14, 06:52 AM
((Andreas will be speaking in Draconic from further onwards, repeating any word exchange over the collective so Liara is aware of what is going on)).
"Impressive" commented the half-giant, as he drew his Ioun Torch and spoke the command word, allowing the rock to shine as it rotated around the warder's head, illuminating the way forward. The two warriors decided to sheath their weapons as they moved further down the cave, towards what he assumed was where the dragon was awaiting.

r2d2go
2016-07-14, 07:02 PM
"Yes, I like to think so myself. One question, before I enter... Can you move between the planes?" Having walked to the end of the hall, you can now see the entirety of the room with the pool, which appears to actually have only a few scattered stone platforms where stalagmites seem to have been cleanly cut. Additionally, two passages open to the left and right, and the left seems to be the source of the draconic voice, though it is far too small for even the previously fought dragon to enter through - only perhaps seven feet tall and wide.

Tuvarkz
2016-07-15, 01:34 AM
"We cannot. Our abilities are mostly limited to combat applications." answered Andreas.

r2d2go
2016-07-15, 02:15 AM
"Hmph. Well then..." You hear a very human footstep approach, and from the passage to your left, a disturbing figure approaches. The face is a grotesque maw of mutilated flesh and teeth in front of what could be described as a shark's head, atop a muscular but hideously scarred greyish body only partially hidden by a chain shirt. Four arms extend from the torso, and each clutches a curved blade. Pieces of similarly jagged and bloodstained metal stick out of the body erratically, in some places piercing the chain shirt. With a disturbing twisting of his mouth that cannot rightfully be called a grin, he snaps his fingers. Now, in a horrible, rasping voice that seems to fit his form much better than the powerful draconic speech, he continues, "...You are of little use to me."

Raising his four arms open wide, he yells, "So come give me a challenge, at the very least!"

Roll init if you take any combat actions. He is not currently, actively attacking or moving towards you.

Tuvarkz
2016-07-15, 10:51 AM
Andreas was somewhat intrigued at the situation, but nonetheless the being was clearly looking for a fight. The half-giant drew his blade, and spending some psionic energy, charged his blade as he grew in size! He then sent a mental message to Liara, warning her to not interfere and to instead keep watch should anything try and ambush them from the other opening or from behind.

Andreas initiative
[roll0]
Liara initiative
[roll1]

((Andreas will draw his weapon, then manifest Expansion for 1 PP and burn an extra pp to charge his weapon, and enter his style as a swift action. Liara will enter Sleeping Goddess Style, draw her weapon and ready an action to attack any enemy that should try and get into melee of her with the Blessed Pinions strike.))

r2d2go
2016-07-17, 12:43 AM
"Hahaha... good, good!" Walking slowly through the green liquid, the monstrosity spins the blades in its hands as it laughs, its mouth splitting open wider with a hideous ripping noise.

[roll0]

You're Demoralized if you don't have anything to stop it, and need to make a Will save.

Tuvarkz
2016-07-18, 01:12 AM
Andreas, impassive at the creature's display, manifested a power and pounced upon his enemy!
((Swift to Psionic Lion's Charge-charging weapon with each attack that hits, staying at 15 feet range of it so no TWF. Liara will remain readied to anything that comes her way.))
Attack 1
Attack roll
[roll0]
Damage roll
[roll1]
Attack 2
Attack roll
[roll2]
Damage roll
[roll3]

r2d2go
2016-07-18, 05:29 AM
The creature parries the first vicious swing with a plated arm, then sidesteps the second, making a strange gurgling sound reminiscent of laughter. Then, it leaps forward, blood from its maw splattering on you as it rips and tears with all four arms. Halfway through, he hits a particularly vicious strike to your neck, and while you manage to shift so it is only a bloody gash and not an opening into vital veins, the creature seems to go into a frenzy. The next blade to your abdomen slices something important, wracking your body with pain as the creature's hideous laughter raises in volume.

You get a feeling you were only a little off hitting that first attack, and that he'll go down in one or two good hits - his body might be well armored, but he's actually relatively scrawny for all the lean muscle he might have.

However, you're also on top of a cut-off stalagmite, so you can't move too easily. Your large size both helps and hurts here - You're balancing on a 5 foot platform, but your large size means that you can just step between the platforms.

All in all, 47 damage. He seemed to get stronger after the first crit.

I assumed you don't have anything to ensure you get AoOs despite Acrobatics?

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]

[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22]
[roll23]
[roll24]

[roll25]
[roll26]
[roll27]
[roll28]
[roll29]
[roll30]
[roll31]
[roll32]

Tuvarkz
2016-07-18, 07:29 AM
((BTW, after Expansion, Andreas's CMD becomes 10+8 (BAB)+ 6 (STR)-1(DEX)+2 Size (Large+Powerful Build)+1 Deflect=26, just in case))
As the creature slashed towards Andreas, the half-giant glared at it as if he was death itself to intimidate it into missing its attacks!
((Activating Extended Defense+Fear the Reaper as an immediate, which lets me counter all his attacks with Intimidate checks having the attack roll as DC (and given the modifier on my intimidate being +33 before the bonuses from expansion and none of the attacks being nat 20s, I can counter them all on a 1 roll, which means automatic success. Unless the creature would be immune to fear effects, in which case this counter fails(and please notify me about it to plan my next round of actions). And to note, he is shaken as per intimidate after the first use of FtR that works.))

r2d2go
2016-07-18, 07:31 AM
For future reference, does that counter crits? It is immune to fear effects.

Tuvarkz
2016-07-18, 07:53 AM
For future reference, does that counter crits? It is immune to fear effects.

((Counters only cannot be used against natural 20 attacks. They can be used to counter 18-19 criticals or otherwise. They must be used against the attack roll and not the crit confirm one, although since some counters instead of negating the attack instead set the AC to a new value, may fail to counter the hit but still deny the crit))

Brutally pummeled by the creature's attacks, Andreas answered in kind! (TWF, charging the deep crystal as needed)

Attack 1 (MH)
[roll0]
[roll1]
Attack 2 (OH)
[roll2]
[roll3]
Attack 3 (MH)
[roll4]
[roll5]

((EDIT: Welp, forgot to add interceptor path bonus again. +2 to attack/damage rolls on all these attacks))

r2d2go
2016-07-18, 10:28 AM
Once again blocking your own weapon with its iron defense, the creature attacks again, and while it hacks and slashes with the same fury, this time, it only manages three glancing blows. It rasps out in glee as you block and parry its blades, saying "Wonderful! Nobody has survived this long before..."

22 damage. Is Liara still just standing watch?

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22]
[roll23]

[roll24]
[roll25]
[roll26]
[roll27]
[roll28]
[roll29]
[roll30]
[roll31]

Tuvarkz
2016-07-18, 10:53 AM
Andreas sidestepped one of the three attacks, but was still pushed to the ropes from the first two. "Captain, I'm joining the fight!" roared Liara, as she burned through her psionic power to heal the half-giant, and recovered her focus before aiding him line up his next attack. Andreas, aware that his enemy had quite the defense, struck twice with calculated might!
((Andreas manifests sidestep as an immediate, avoiding the first hit (tell me how much damage does this prevent). Liara will use Encouraging Roar (+2 attack/morale bonus to damage rolls for one round, expend her psionic focus and burn 6 pp to heal him for 24 hp, then as a move action recovers her psionic focus, recovering Encouraging Roar as per Sleeping Goddess Style. She will then use Aid Another to boost Andreas's next attack by 3, only failing on a nat 1. Andreas will then full attack, w/o TWF))
Liara Aid Another (if nat 1, -3 from Andreas's First attack))
[roll0]
Andreas full attack
Att 1
Attack
[roll1]
Damage
[roll2]
Attack 2
Attack
[roll3]
Damage
[roll4]

r2d2go
2016-07-18, 12:21 PM
Finally, you manage to cleave the slightly weaker flesh between two metal plates on the creature's torso, and the creature makes a gurgling sound of surprise as it is nearly split in two. Still, despite its body mostly remaining intact due to being stapled together, its rage is only intensified, and...

Your sidestep dodges 5 damage. Three hits, two crits, you take 42 damage.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22]
[roll23]

[roll24]
[roll25]
[roll26]
[roll27]
[roll28]
[roll29]
[roll30]
[roll31]

Tuvarkz
2016-07-18, 01:39 PM
As the creature attacked, Liara instantly took upon herself the damage of the first attack, Andreas then dodging the second, and the two retried the same method again!
((Liara will activate her Martyrdom, redirecting the first attack's damage to her (up to 30 damage, but the first attack should be within that limit), Andreas will again sidestep the second attack and take the brunt of the third one. Liara and Andreas will then repeat their actions of the previous round))

Liara Aid Another (if nat 1, -3 from Andreas's First attack))
[roll0]

Andreas full attack
Attack 1
Attack
[roll1]
Damage
[roll2]
Attack 2
Attack
[roll3]
Damage
[roll4]
EDIT: Rolled to confirm the crit threat on OoC thread.

r2d2go
2016-07-18, 02:55 PM
I should clarify: Three regular hits, plus two crits, for a total of five hits. Liara takes 5 damage, and you dodge 16 (a crit).

Encounter complete! 6400 XP.

Just to remind you of the surroundings: You're in a cave type thing, on a cut-off stalagmite in a pool of acid, with exits left, right, and behind (though that one has a giant gelatinous cube).

With a hideous crunch, you break through the bone and metal holding the creature together, and it splits into two halves of bloody mess, which sink into the green liquid and begin to dissolve from the inside.

Tuvarkz
2016-07-18, 03:06 PM
((6400 split how, 4.8k for andreas and 1.6k for liara?))
"Should've gotten some potions," commented Andreas as Liara further healed him (5 PP to heal another 20 hp) "Let's explore the rest of the cave, perhaps we can find another exit that doesn't involve having to deal with a gelatinous cube."
As soon as the expansion power expires (seven and a half minutes), Andreas and Liara will head in the direction their recently defeated foe came from.

r2d2go
2016-07-18, 07:13 PM
So, turns out you're the only one I gave cohort XP for. Since they are E6, they'd only get bonus feats every 5000 XP, so it's probably better for you to get the XP. However, since I kinda messed up there, I'll give you the choice between continuing giving Liara XP until she hits a feat, or just going for XP on you only. If the former, it's indeed a 4800/1600 split. Otherwise, you get 8000 XP and Liara loses the 1600 she gained earlier.

Moving down the somewhat narrow hall, you feel a bit cramped, but it's not hard to just stoop down and walk. Soon, it turns into a room fitting the creature you just slew. It looks almost like a wizard's study after a particularly messy murder, with bloodstains covering the walls and the ripped papers that cover the floor. A stone "desk" in the corner with a small stone seat seems to be the center of this chaos, with a mostly-intact spellbook in the center. Besides it lies a small pile of random equipment - a quarterstaff, a shortsword, a chain shirt, and several daggers.

Looking at the scattered papers, you realize that many are actually not just bloodstained, but have notes written in blood, though they have blotches of blood obscuring the majority of the words. They seem to be a mix of Common and some manner of arcane writings, and are written in a barely-legible, erratic style, as if written by a child who hasn't learned to hold a pen.

Tuvarkz
2016-07-19, 01:40 AM
((Hmm, will think about how to distribute the exp-hadn't noticed that the cohorts would also be limited to E6 and will have to plan around that.))

Grabbing the equipment and the spellbook and storing them in his bags, Andreas took a moment to decide what to do with the blood-writings. Deciding after a minute that they were probably no good, he grabbed the lot of them and dumped them into the acid pool as the pair went to explore the hallway opposite to the one they were returning from.

r2d2go
2016-07-20, 01:35 AM
As you pick everything up, you notice the spellbook has several pages ripped out - Probably the source of the pages scattered about. However, these seem to be more coherent writings, and though the first dozen pages of the spellbook is still a spellbook, the rest seems to be a bloody journal of sorts, written in extremely short entries with huge letters, perhaps a dozen to a page. Certain segments are merely separated by a stretch of tally marks - apparently to mark the uninteresting days between entries.

Not going to type up an entire journal here, but have some relevant snippets:

Day 6
I have killed a caster. His spellbook is now mine. I will begin trying to learn, to return home.

What happened before: Some strange group invaded the Plane of Torture. They sent me here. I cannot return, but I must. This place is painful, in an unpleasant way, prickling my skin and invading my mind. Food is plentiful. Killing it is relieving.

Day 9
Learning was not so difficult. Executing is. I cannot learn easily.

Day 21
I have finally cast a spell. Not much. Small drop of acid. Will continue learning.

Day 44
Animals are learning to stay away. Must not warn them. Will begin being more careful. Skin hurts.

Day 71
Getting bored. Started changing cave. Goes deep. Oozes try to eat me - I am unaffected. Using them to make this home.

Day 87
Learned spell to change voice. Started catching humanoids, looking for useful things.

Day 99
Done filling pool. Started carving space for cube.

Day 131
Cube in place. Feels like home, but is not home. Continuing to study.

Day 154
Big crash in forest. Large monster - saw dragon, heard voices. Maybe he can get me home?

Day 155
Setting trap for large humanoid. Very powerful. Even if incapable of planar travel, will be fun.

Walking along the narrow platform on the side of the pool, you make your way to the larger passage to the right. This one seems more like part of a natural cave system, but despite the minimal lighting, you can see just far enough to take note of a hole in the ground that looks quite intentionally made. You're not sure how large the rest of the cave is, due to the lack of light, but it must be at least a hundred feet across.

Tuvarkz
2016-07-20, 02:31 AM
Noting the hole in the ground, Andreas and Liara nodded to each other, as the half giant passed his Ioun Torch to the girl, who activated it, and changed her stance, her psionic powers giving her an ease of stride. Andreas then tied his rope to her to ensure the wall was not greased or otherwise as the half-elf tested the walls, and then afterwards, Liara removed the rope and started walking down the walls of the hole, to see what was at the bottom.
((Liara will activate the Ioun Torch, giving her a 20 foot radius of light, and will enter Unbroken Stride stance, which gives her a spider climb-like constant effect, only that she can still use her hands and fight normally. After testing that the hole is not greased or otherwise made impossible to walk down (using the rope as safety so that Andreas can pull her back if needed), Liara will start walking down through it))

r2d2go
2016-07-22, 02:46 AM
Walking down the hole, Liara finds that it continues almost directly downwards for about two hundred feet before dropping into a larger cavern below. It seems there's about a thirty foot drop from the ceiling to floor, and the light doesn't reach any walls nearby.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Tuvarkz
2016-07-22, 03:50 AM
((With the Ioun Torch, wouldn't Liara have noticed that there'd be a drop in the wall 20 feet before reaching it and falling through? Also, otherwise I believe Andreas can burn enough PP to form astral armor, grab both darkvision and a climb speed, climb down and throw his 50 foot rope, from which Liara can be picked up and the two return their way up.))
Deciding that it'd be better to leave exploring whatever was below the hole after being better prepared (and having a way to get back up afterwards), the duo started going back, eventually slowing down as they tried to see whether the gelatinous ooze was once more blocking the way or if it was leaving their way out unopposed.

r2d2go
2016-07-22, 02:54 PM
Sorry, wording issue. Liara doesn't drop, the passage does. She was still in the tunnel portion.

The ooze has indeed drifted back to its original position, blocking the way.

Tuvarkz
2016-07-22, 03:11 PM
The two, weapons drawn, tried to stay awar from the ooze's radius of detection, and Andreas, as if trying to mimic the powerful voice and draconic accent that the defeated enemy had spoken in, said the words that their enemy had said before in Draconic: "Ah, yes. Come in." The half-giant hoped the ooze would move and let them out, as he preferred to not have to fight it.
((Rolling for Bluff to pretend to speak as someone else, unless you think Disguise fits the bill better. Should the cube not react, Andreas will step into a place where he can use Expansion and move without major impediment and do so, with a line of charge towards the ooze))
[roll0]

r2d2go
2016-07-24, 02:48 AM
The ooze appears to be unmoving, though you do notice a small pile of bone towards the bottom of the cube that wasn't there before as you approach.

Tuvarkz
2016-07-25, 01:45 PM
((Thanks to the Psionic Body feat, I believe Liara will be able to remain useful without being too easily dispatched, so she'll get another 1600 exp. Will be marking her Exp as 3200 to simplify tracking every time she gains a feat.))

Figuring that they'd have to fight their way out, Liara roared and helped Andreas focus his next attack, before the half giant pounced upon the ooze, his greatsword cleaving the being twice!

((Liara will Encouraing Roar>Aid Another, and ready an action to move behind Andreas after he charges, then Andreas will activate the Psionic Lion's charge, and attack with his greatsword twice (If Andreas is threatened by the cube at the end of his charge, +2 to attack/damage rolls on the full attack). Andreas will also charge his greatsword before each attack.))
Liara Aid Another ((On a nat 1, -3 to Andreas's first attack))
[roll0]

Andreas Full Attack

Attack 1
Attack
[roll1]
Damage
[roll2]

Attack 2
Attack
[roll3]
Damage
[roll4]

r2d2go
2016-07-25, 10:13 PM
The giant gelatinous cube absorbs the attacks, though not without visible damage - great chunks of its body fall in quivering globs to the ground. However, it responds with surprising vigor, squishing itself over the groove and attempting to strike you, though you fairly easily dodge backwards and avoid being struck.

[roll0]
[roll1]
If hit, make a Fort save DC 27.

Tuvarkz
2016-07-26, 04:40 AM
((Hm. I had misremembered the entire time-Deep Crystal weapons cost 2pp to charge, not 1pp. Adjusting.))
Liara once more completely focused on helping the half-giant aim his attacks, Andreas entered the style of the iron tortoise and kept charging his weapon as he slashed and bashed at his enemy!
((Liara will Aid another Andreas on his first attack, then Encouraging Roar as swift, finishing by readying an action to aid another the half giant again before the second slash. Andreas will enter the Iron Tortoise Style, and full attack with both TWF and power attack. Rolling))
Liara Aid Another (Either nat 1s, and the respective attack gets a -3 to the check))
[roll0]
[roll1]

Andreas Full Attack

MH Attack 1
Attack
[roll2]
Damage
[roll3]

OH Attack
Attack
[roll4]
Damage
[roll5]

MH Attack 2
Attack
[roll6]
Damage
[roll7]

r2d2go
2016-07-27, 01:26 AM
Slashing through the cube, it is reduced to a pile of gelatinous clumps on the ground.

Okay, normally it'd be completely harmless, but its material doesn't just... dissipate. I'm going to go with common sense and say acidic/paralytic material is still all over the place. However, it's pretty easy to just step or jump around (DC low enough to auto pass). This is more to establish a precedent - this ain't no MMO :smalltongue:

In any case, 3200 XP.

Tuvarkz
2016-07-27, 03:46 AM
His psionic reserves almost entirely drained, Andreas stepped outside the cave, carefully avoiding the acidic remains of the cube, followed by Liara. While waiting for the Expansion to expire, the half giant, half-swording the blade for accuracy, used his weapon to scratch into the sides of the cave's entrance in Common, deeply enough so that they would last for a good while:
DANGER
OOZES
Afterwards, the duo made their trip back home.
((Giving 2400 to Andreas, 800 to Liara))

r2d2go
2016-07-28, 11:44 PM
I'm giving you 300 XP for carving that in :smallbiggrin:

What next? Finish your cloak? Anything with the loot? Anything to report to the bureaucracy?

Making your way back, you find the forest has grown strangely quiet - the chatter of prey avoiding you and predators evaluating your strength is all but nonexistent. However, it only takes a few minutes before it returns to its normal volume, and the rest of the journey back to Stonesong passes without incident.

Tuvarkz
2016-07-29, 02:25 AM
Upon returning to the city, Andreas first headed off to the local map-makers, so that they would mark the location of the cave in the local maps, plus what the two had explored from it insofar. Returning to the city guard's barracks with copies of said maps, the half-giant compiled a report of what had happened, putting the book alongside the report. He made it clear that while the pit had been left unexplored due to lack of preparation for it, on further thought, it was likely to be inhabited by multiple oozes and likely many of them being gelatinous cubes, and it would be better left off alone. While doing all of this, he had Liara, accompanied by a couple other guards, go and take the weapons and armor looted for magical identification.

r2d2go
2016-07-30, 11:38 PM
While the mountains and forest haven't been mapped enough to make such a note of the cave useful, the mapmakers do suggest you pass on the information to what is apparently a new establishment in Stonesong - a small store exclusively for the purchase and sale of adventuring information. While somewhat dubious in actual transactions, it has been providing the useful service of mapping what areas are currently being explored, and what has been noted as a dead end or worse.

The shortsword is +1. The other gear is nonmagical, though one dagger and the chain shirt are Masterwork.

If you're selling things, the spellbook sells for 1200 gp.

Tuvarkz
2016-08-02, 04:22 AM
Andreas nodded at the mapmakers' words, and went on to the adventuring information venue to have them handle the information.

((Selling the spellbook. Will decide what to do with the rest of the gear later, still thinking about it.))

r2d2go
2016-08-02, 03:33 PM
So... any active things? Or are you content to wait for something interesting to happen to you?

Tuvarkz
2016-08-02, 03:43 PM
((Andreas will be crafting in his free time and otherwise taking the normal duties of protecting the city. He'll also be passing an hour or two in bars each night to try and catch rumours of anything potentially dangerous, but otherwise he'll be mostly reactive to any events that might happen))

r2d2go
2016-08-03, 01:51 AM
It doesn't take long for you to settle back into the groove of everyday life - Patrolling the streets, catching thieves, settling disputes. However, three days after your return, just as you think things are back to normal, a visit from Aristodemos, Archmage of Heartrock City, kicks up rumors again. You're not sure exactly what he said, as he was in the city less than an hour, but that night, you hear all sorts of excitable chatter. Apparently, he was quite condescending, and somewhat disgusted his time was wasted due to a "brute" getting to it before him. You catch whispers of the few that dislike you using Aristodemos' words to try to find credence in their own arguments, but for the most part, all it did was get your many fans to reiterate their awe for you. Many try to help you, relaying rumors of places to explore, and while most are too vague or unreliable to act on, you do get a fair bit of well-corroborated information.

The most exciting is that apparently, there was something like a shooting star in the middle of the night, two days ago. A few elves, who are known to never sleep and have keen vision due to the blessings of Corellon, confirmed that such an event occurred, while the astronomer among them said that it was likely a meteorite. More notably, though, she claimed it may have fallen near the ancient battleground of the final assault on the Kitka queen during the Second Shadow War, though she says estimating the location of a falling star is difficult, at the least. It would be quite a (5+ day) journey through steep mountainous terrain to get there.

Other than that, there is apparently a confirmed discovery of an ancient cave that appears to have some sort of intelligent construction, though nobody's explored past the initial "hall of fire", a small (3-4 foot) tunnel that basically has been incinerating anything that goes in.

There's also apparently a certain area in the mountains that is continuously shrouded in mist - two groups have attempted to figure out what's going on there. The first disappeared in its entirety, while the second had only one person return, who apparently got separated from the group and booked it out.

Tuvarkz
2016-08-03, 08:44 AM
((I believe Andreas should have had enough time to finish upgrading the cloak, right? Also, Andreas will keep the shortsword as a backup weapon, give the mwk one to Liara, and distribute the other daggers amongst his lieutenants. The quarterstaff will be left in the city's armory for those that may need it.))
Answering his referral to as "brute", Andreas simply commented: "And indeed, let this be recorded as one of the times where a warrior got one over the spellcaster."

Hearing about the fallen star, Andreas headed off the next morning to go meet the astronomer elf. An expedition to go see the location would likely need protection, and the half-giant would be more than eager to offer his help.

r2d2go
2016-08-05, 06:23 PM
You find the astronomer in something like a small stone towers some ways out of town, near the edge of the forest. When you knock on the door, the astronomer takes some time to answer, but while she isn't surprised to find that rumors of her analysis have reached you, she is surprised you thought to come to her and bring her with you. Apologizing for the wait, she introduces herself as Mary, and invites you in.

Seated at a chair just a little too small for you in the second floor of the building, Mary brings you some strong herbal tea before beginning to explain her findings. Apparently, her telescope is enchanted to allow the viewer to observe from any location, usually used to get a clearer look at the stars. This time, it let her track the apparent movement of the meteorite from several angles, which is explained to allow a relatively precise tracking of its physical location. However, due to the limited range of the enchantment (only about six hundred feet), and the imperfections of the visual marking, she estimates you'll need to search an area a few hundred feet in radius.

However, the conclusion of all this is to decline to join you on the journey itself, saying she's too old and frail for such a trip. The comment makes you realize that to show signs of aging as a blessed of Corellon, she could be hundreds of years old - possibly making the knowledge of the location and the Second Shadow War firsthand. Still, there's enough variation that she could be only a hundred or so.

Yep, cloak upgraded.

Tuvarkz
2016-08-06, 07:51 AM
Thanking Mary for the explanation on the situation, Andreas returned to the city. That night, he tried to look for rumors of others interested in going to find the meteorite, as he would be hard-stretched to justify leaving the city for a long period of time just to find some fallen rock from the sky; while instead a group of curious people that were likely to need protection for their expedition provided a reasonable cause for the half-giant to go along with them.

r2d2go
2016-08-09, 06:56 PM
At first, it seems the details about the meteor is kept quiet, and you find no groups to guard. However, the next day, as you walk into the street after breakfast, you are greeted by a small group of people in a mishmash of vaguely adventurer-like gear. At the front is Mary, who smiles slightly before addressing you. "It turns out a few of my old friends wouldn't let me stay retired. Would you happen to be available for a trip?"

After introducing her "old friends" - Xander, a veteran bowman blessed by Corellon, and Steve, a warrior-turned-blacksmith blessed by Moradin - Mary begins leading the group to the ancient battleground. It's a long journey - You almost immediately are forced to leave any transportation and proceed up the mountain by foot. And, on the first night in, during your watch, an something emerges from the ground, tearing at you with its mandibles as two large tentacles slam down and some sort of rocky, acidic boulder falls upon you. Now that it has burst from its hiding place, you can see the creature's bizarre form, some cross between a crab, squid, and acidic volcano, bearing down upon you.

Surprise round and enemy's turn in initiative over. You (and Liara, if desired) can go now, the other people are still half-asleep (though they could be woken).

Take 22 bludgeoning, 13 piercing/slashing/bludgeoning, and 10 acid damage.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22]

Tuvarkz
2016-08-10, 11:51 AM
As Andreas was attacked Liara immediately roared: "To arms, we're under attack!" as she spent her psionic focus to relieve the injuries of the half-giant, moving behind him and aiding his next attack.
Andreas quickly grew to a large size, and sword charged with holy power, struck at the being!

Liara: Swift to Encouraging Roar (I presume her shout will be loud enough for the camp to wake up); expend psifocus +6pp to heal Andreas for 24 hp, move to get behind Andreas and standard to Aid Another-On a nat 1, -3 to Andreas's next attack.
[roll0]
Andreas will manifest Expansion as swift (And thus not provoking) by paying 7 PP; then as a standard attack the enemy with Silver Knight's Blade, dealing +4d6 sacred damage (+50% if enemy is evil) and healing for the same amount on a hit. In addition, upon hitting he will use an Armiger's Mark on the enemy, making its attacks against other targets be made at a -6 penalty and have a 14% Arcane Spell failure; for 4 rounds.
Attack Roll
[roll1]
Weapon Damage roll
[roll2]
Sacred Damage/Healing
[roll3]

r2d2go
2016-08-11, 06:14 PM
Just barely managing a hit, you gouge a deep wound as the creature roars and continues attacking, seemingly undeterred. Meanwhile, the rest of the camp is quickly getting to their feet and arming themselves, but the rocky start slows them enough to prevent them from attacking, save for a single arrow that bounces off the creature's stone carapace.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Take 11 bludgeoning and 5 acid damage. Your turns.

Tuvarkz
2016-08-12, 02:12 AM
As the creature's attack lashed at him, Andreas glared at it, trying to stop it's attack! Liara then refocused herself, moved into melee, and struck with her own holy blade at her foe; followed by Andreas performing a shield bash!

Andreas will activate Fear the Reaper (Fear, Mind Affecting) as an immediate action. Intimidate check with the enemy's attack roll as DC. On pass, attack is negated and foe is shaken for one round. (Andreas should have a +37 modifier from the strength increase, and even with a -4 should the enemy be Huge or bigger, I believe this one autopasses)
Liara will enter Sleeping Goddess Style as swift, then spend a move to regain her focus (Recovering Encouraging Roar as part of it), followed by 5-foot stepping into melee range. There she will use her Silver Knight's Blade, healing Andreas on a hit. In addition, on a hit Andreas's attack modifier will be increased by a further +2.
Andreas will attack with Smashing Shell. On a hit, the creature needs to make a DC 20 Fort save or be dazed for one round.

Liara Attack
[roll0]
Damage roll
[roll1]
Sacred Damage/Healing
[roll2]

Andreas Attack
[roll3]
Damage roll
[roll4]

r2d2go
2016-08-12, 03:16 AM
Mostly ignoring your attacks as they bounce off its thick stone shell, the creature thrashes at you, managing again to strike under your guard with an acidic tentacle. The others are mobilizing now, with the dwarf swung a hammer at the creature's apparent eyes - easily dodged, but distracting. Meanwhile, the archer fired three arrows in quick succession, and though the first bounced off completely harmlessly, the second sped towards a crack in the creature's plating. A swift tentacle swatted the arrow away just before impact, but a third arrow took advantage of this, piercing the tentacle, though the creature seemed to care little.

[roll0], [roll1], [roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]

Take 16 bludgeoning and 6 acid damage. Your next attack gets a +2 to attack.

Tuvarkz
2016-08-14, 10:15 AM
Andreas burned some psionic power to deflect the incoming attack. Liara once more roared, helped aim andreas's next attack and struck with her hammer at the enemy, her weapon once more coated in holy power! The half-giant then made a powerful swing at his enemy!

As an immediate action, Andreas will manifest the Sidestep power for 3PP, avoiding the attack.
Liara will use Encouraging Roar as swift (+2 morale to attack and damage rolls), followed by Aid Another on Andreas's next attack (Recovering Silver Knight's Blade) as move, and then following up with using Blessed Pinions to attack. (On a hit, +2d6 sacred damage. If the target is possessed, the target's body takes no damage and the possessor is the one that takes the full damage).
Andreas will Vital Strike as a standard w/Power Attack.

Liara Aid Another check (On a nat 1, -3 to Andreas's next attack)
[roll0]

Liara Attack roll
[roll1]
Damage roll
[roll2]
Sacred Damage
[roll3]

Andreas Attack roll
[roll4]
Andreas Damage
[roll5]

r2d2go
2016-08-15, 09:34 PM
Your mighty swing cleaves through the stone shell of the abomination, exposing purple, oozing flesh within. The others attempt to press the advantage, the archer firing several arrows and the warrior continuing to swing, but none can penetrate its rocky shell. However, just your attacks seem to have frightened the creature off, and it attempts to flee, burrowing into the ground and flinging a mass of stone and acid backwards in its wake.

You take 18 physical and 6 acid damage, and get an AoO with +2 to attack (minus power attack) as it tries to flee.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]

[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]

Tuvarkz
2016-08-16, 02:49 AM
"You will not get away!" roared both Andreas and Liara, initiating a technique to try and finish off their enemy before it escapes!

Both Andreas and Liara will immediate-action initiate Intruder's End. This increases their threatened area and reach, but the important thing is, it also nets them a +2 circumstance bonus to AoOs, which they will both employ.
Liara AoO (Not sure if that untyped +2 applies to her too, but adding it here just in case.)
[roll0]
[roll1]
EDIT: Confirming the Nat 20 in OoC thread

Andreas AoO (Vital Strike)
[roll2]
[roll3]

r2d2go
2016-08-16, 06:22 PM
Unfortunately, Vital Strike can't be used on anything but a standard Attack action. It doesn't matter much here, but halving the damage dice (or just -average d6s, it's the same since you got exact average :smalltongue:) is -28 damage here.

Also, unfortunately the crit isn't quite a confirm - the +2 is only to you.

Still, you managed to take it down. 9600 XP to you and/or Liara.

Smashing the creature as it flees, the combine effort of you and Liara seems to finish it off, causing it to fall still after a single, thrashing spasm. However, as everything falls still in the moonlight, you realize it's still... living? Maybe? It's twitching slightly, and you can visibly see a pules of something like a heartbeat, though its anatomy could be completely alien, as far as you know.

Tuvarkz
2016-08-17, 01:40 AM
Actually, I have brought this up before. Andreas has the Seize the Opportunity Feat

Seize the Opportunity (Combat)
You possess an exceptional knack for exploiting sudden openings by your opponents.
Prerequisites: Combat Reflexes, base attack bonus +1.
Benefit: When you make an attack of opportunity, you can take an attack action (such as vital strike) or attempt
a combat maneuver (such as a bull rush, disarm or dirty trick) in place of your attack of opportunity. This feat
does not allow you to move when it isn’t your turn.

from Path of War: Expanded, which does specifically allow him to vital strike on an AoO. I brought this up already in the dragon's fight before.
Assigning 7200 exp to Andreas, 2400 to Liara. This brings her to 6400, of which 5000 will go to her getting the Deep Focus feat.

After the battle ends, Liara will heal up Andreas to full via spending another 7 pp.

"Someone would probably want to examine this creature, but we're in no condition to bring either it alive or its body back to the city." commented Andreas, lifting his blade, readying the finishing blow on the creature.

r2d2go
2016-08-17, 12:26 PM
Hm. Nevermind, then, must have missed it the first time.

Andreas easily finishes off the creature, with no objection from the others.

Tuvarkz
2016-08-18, 11:48 AM
The battle ended, Andreas and Liara returned to their watch, then going to sleep afterwards.
((I presume we move on to next morning?))

r2d2go
2016-08-21, 02:23 AM
If you'd like.

Continuing through the mountains, it's another day before you finally reach the place - a relatively short peak amidst taller mountains. The mountain looks like it's been chopped horizontally, leaving it flat, and as you reach the top, you realize it's actually covered in a layer of perfectly level, bone-like material. This extends for a hundred feet or so in a circle, and in the very center, a thirty-foot diameter hole has been punched through the floor, leaving jagged and molten edges . From what you can tell, beneath this is something intelligently designed - From your place at the edge, you can make out smooth walls of the same material, leading steeply downwards, almost like a chute.

Tuvarkz
2016-08-22, 04:15 PM
Being largely unable to see what was down the hole, Andreas and Liara proceeded for their usual strategy for exploring down holes, this time, with more rope available, Liara kept the rope tied around her waist as a safety measure.

((Repeating what was done back here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21017749&postcount=51), except that now, assuming that the group brought some more rope as part of climbing equipment, would allow Liara to keep the rope tied around her as a safety measure due to having more rope length to work with.))

r2d2go
2016-08-24, 10:56 PM
As Liara makes her way down, she realizes that the hole elongates as it goes down, and only the top is bone - the bottom is rough rock, visibly melted and cooled to form a cracked shell. Soon, it becomes clear that this is not one, but two separate phenomena - One, a bone chute slanting steeply downwards, and two, an unnaturally deep hole caused by the meteor. The bone chute, who's bottom half appears about a hundred feet down, looks like it has strange holes in it, each a cone about four inches across and one foot deep, spaced three or so feet apart in a triangular grid. They make slightly awkward, but perfectly usable handholds and footholds, and appear to go all the way down.

Tuvarkz
2016-08-27, 02:33 PM
Liara sent her findings telepathically through the collective back to Andreas, who explained the situation to Mary and the rest as he looked around to find a good spot to tie the rope to, so that they could climb back up.

((Rolling perception))
[roll0]

r2d2go
2016-08-27, 06:11 PM
Unfortunately, you look around for a minute or two, walking around the flattened top of the mountain, but it appears it really is a perfectly flat layer of bone. The only thing that might serve as a place to secure your rope is the jagged and warped edges of the hole, or perhaps a tree or rock further down the mountain. You think the closest safe anchor would be a large rock some fifty feet down and hundred feet across the mountain, but you'd have to carve a groove or otherwise make the rope more secure, as the rope will be pulling up from that position. Other than that... the closest sturdy vegetation you can find is a tree around two hundred feet away. Each person brought fifty feet of rope, so it's definitely a stretch.

While you look around, Mary nods as if expecting something like this. "The holes in the bone are likely designed for Kitka. They are exceptional climbers, but they tend to make such ramps to expedite and lower the effort of ascending their vertical structures, from what I've been told. The meteor... should not have made such a deep hole, though. Meteors tend to leave craters, not this kind of... pit. We should take care - this is likely some form of magical or intelligently made object... I'm afraid to think of what magic or intelligent life could come from the stars."

Tuvarkz
2016-08-28, 02:28 AM
"I'll have to keep some of my psionic reservoir in reserve, but I can manifest a power to allow myself to fly, and I should be able to carry all of us on the way back up in a few trips back and forth. How about you all descend with me keeping the rope up here up until you reach the handholds and footholds, and I'll catch up as you reach the bottom of the hole. On our way back, I can either get back up here and extend a rope down, or just carry people a few at a time."

((If they agree, as soon as they reach the handholds/footholds (or as low as the total amount of rope can let them descend, if they judge it safer), Andreas will manifest Form Astral Armor, choosing the Astral Skin modification, and grab Fly+2 points to make it Perfect maneuverability+1 point to increase the fly speed by 20 feet, and descend as the rest of the group climbs down))

r2d2go
2016-08-31, 10:37 AM
Everyone agrees, though Xander seems to dislike the underground and Steve seems to dislike being suspended on a rope. Still, they get over it, and climb down. A hundred feet down, they transition to the hand and footholds, which seem to function well enough, though Steve in particular has to take it slow.

While the chute doesn't show any signs of ending, after only about fifty feet or so, it branches off, steeply descending in the other direction. The chute you are in continues for ten feet before stoping on what looks like solid bone. Further down the new branch, it seems there is another similar offshoot another fifty feet down - you get a feeling this is going to repeat for some time.

It's a slope, with handholds, so I pinned it at DC -5.

Tuvarkz
2016-08-31, 06:05 PM
As the group kept climbing down the structure, ((Andreas joining them once his psionic power expired)) the half-giant asked: "Mary, you mentioned this is a Kitka structure. Mind telling more about them?"

r2d2go
2016-09-01, 12:18 AM
Mary momentarily pauses her climbing, thinking. "I don't know as much as I'd like - Kitka had an annoying tendency to self-destruct when restrained, and they were extraordinarily hard to restrain in the first place. Still, we know that despite being made of some sort of bone-derived plates, they are more of bone constructs than undead. There is some minor necromancy magic involved, but it's mostly Conjuration and Transmutation, with a bit of Evocation for the Demons. They didn't collapse upon the death of their controller, but this place should have been mostly cleared out - I doubt we will run across more than a few Kitka, if any. They were extraordinarily dangerous during the war, having an uncanny knack for targeting and slicing apart vital organs, in addition to dodging or deflecting most attacks, but I think their psuedo-intelligence has been greatly reduced." She takes a longer pause, then says, "I think I'm rambling - is there anything specific you wanted to know?"

Tuvarkz
2016-09-01, 06:04 PM
"So, the agile and precise type at combat, and can explode when defeated? That works for what I need to know about them. Although if you have more to say about their capabilities in combat, I'd be willing to listen more." answered Andreas, as he kept climbing down.

r2d2go
2016-09-01, 06:58 PM
"Well... While some explode, mostly the Demons mentioned, most simply crumble upon destruction. What else can I say... Ah, yes. The standard unit of Kitka that ravaged the smaller settlements was one Wraith, the fastest but most frail variety, and one Shielder, a surprisingly tenacious kind that defended the others around it. A single pair could eliminate dozens of soldiers, but I suspect you will have no problem with them. The most worrying kind, however unlikely, would be a Colossus - Huge, psuedo-living seige engines, with enormous curved tusks and spikes upon their back that held the bodies they harvested for bone. At least, that's what we think they did with the huge mass of corpses they lifted away... We never managed to slay one. Ever. The few still alive simply retreated into the mountains upon the Controller's death, and nobody could scratch them. However, I think they would be too slow and heavy for a structure like this." After a short pause, this time with a rather somber expression, Mary shakes her head and continues climbing. "That's about all I know."

At this point, Steve has caught up and reached the edge of the current platform, where a large, circular opening leads in a new direction. It's possible to continue climbing down the sides, as there is easily five feet of platform to either side of the opening, but you can see a solid floor only ten feet down if you continue this direction.

So... direction of movement? Basically, a "side" passage, or continue downwards?

Tuvarkz
2016-09-04, 07:17 AM
"Let's continue downwards," said Andreas. Even if someone was to take notes of the descent's formation, branching out could easily lead to the group constantly changing paths to explore every last nook and cranny, which could take more time than what supplies had been stocked for.
((Also, I presume at least one of the npcs is taking notes/making a simple map of the passage?))

r2d2go
2016-09-06, 01:36 AM
Nobody's physically writing a map, as of now. A large part of this is that everyone's been climbing walls for the past while. Luckily, it seems the paths alternate direction consistently, so it's fairly easy to memorize, so far.

Proceeding downwards, the group comes across another split, and then another. This repeats several times, though the frequency seems to be lowering - while there was only a thirty foot gap between the first two, there's a good hundred-fifty foot gap between the ninth and the tenth, with the tenth appearing to be the bottom - there is no further path down. However, there is a large, circular tunnel in the stone, roughly but obviously intentionally excavated, while another bone chute leads upwards - it'd be a bit of a stretch for the shorter numbers to reach, but it shouldn't be difficult to boost them up and continue climbing.

Tuvarkz
2016-09-08, 03:48 AM
Andreas pointed at the tunnel, thinking that there likely was something of interest there, and made his way there.

r2d2go
2016-09-12, 09:55 PM
Going through the tunnel, and followed by the rest of the group, you find that the stone slowly curves downwards until about two hundred feet in, you're walking down an almost 45 degree angle slope, which seems to continue straight for as far as you can see. That distance is limited, however, by a thin mist that seems to be getting thicker as you descend - it makes the air slightly colder, and you can feel the humidity, but it's not too bad. You can even see far enough to tell the tunnel ends twenty feet or so before the mist completely obscures your vision, opening into some sort of room or cave.

Tuvarkz
2016-09-17, 02:47 PM
"Liara, add Xander and Mary to the collective, just in case. Steve, my apologies but Liara's mental links have a limit and it is one short of being able to add you as well. This should allow us to communicate mentally if our eyes start failing us." said Andreas, as Liara attempted to add the two mentioned people to her collective. "Before we go into this mist, Mary, do you recall anything about any sort of mist or fog used by the Kitka?"

r2d2go
2016-09-17, 11:46 PM
Mary shakes her head as the rest of the group is connected. "No, nothing of the sort..." Casting a cantrip, she looks at the fog with glowing eyes, and shrugs. "There's a very faint, lingering aura of necromancy, but it's very weak, and the original source seems to be gone now. Do you still want to go in? It shouldn't have any direct effects on us, but still..."

Tuvarkz
2016-09-18, 01:51 AM
"Let's try and go in. If anyone starts feeling any negative effects, we pull back immediately. Of course, if any of you wishes to stay back and wait here, you should do so."

r2d2go
2016-09-19, 07:51 PM
Proceeding down the tunnel, the mist doesn't seem to have any negative effects beyond limiting vision. By the time you reach the next room a few hundred feet down, you can't see more than thirty feet in front of you. Still, that's plenty for this small, perhaps twenty or twenty five foot square room, with eight insectoid corpses slumped against the walls to the left and right - they look like some bizarre ant-centaurs. The path seems to continue forward beyond the corpses.

Tuvarkz
2016-09-20, 02:13 AM
"Let's wait a moment here." spoke Andreas, as he kneeled in front of one of the dead ant-centaurs. Even if he didn't know much about their bodies, the half-giant tried to inspect it to see any mark that would have belonged to a weapon bash, stab or slash, using his gauntleted had if needed to move one of the bodies's parts to get a better look.

r2d2go
2016-09-22, 02:27 AM
[roll0]

You notice no wounds, as well as no signs of decomposition or body heat - though your knowledge is limited, you're fairly sure there's something strange going on. If anything, it looks like these creatures literally laid down and died.

Tuvarkz
2016-09-24, 04:58 PM
"They look quite like the corpses found dead from cold in the mountains. If anyone has measures to protect themselves against cold, I'd recommend you all use them before proceeding further." commented Andreas, as he manifested a protective suit around himself.

((Form Astral Armor, choosing Astral Skin. Going with (on top of the free stuff): Energy Resistance Cold (10), Improved Energy Resistance (Which doubles my cold resistance to 20), Stalwart, Darkvision 60))

r2d2go
2016-09-25, 04:16 AM
Pulling a scroll from her pack, Mary says, "I do have something, but it's fairly expensive, and I only have one. It should protect all of us for ten minutes or so - I can cast it if we encounter dangerous environments? I have something else for less extreme cold, which I'll use now..." Muttering the words to activate the scroll, she gently taps each person, creating a thin film of magic that seems to stabilize the local temperature.

Liara, Mary, Steve and Xander have 6 hours each of Endure Elements

Tuvarkz
2016-09-25, 06:44 AM
Andreas nodded, and said: "Let's get moving, then." before starting to go deeper into the mists.

r2d2go
2016-09-27, 02:24 AM
Proceeding into the thickening mist, it's not long before your vision is limited to a few feet around you, and the group has to stick close to keep track of each other. About fifteen minutes after you started down the tunnel, you notice the wall's turning, while you see no wall before you - it seems you've entered a room. As you process that information, you hear a raspy, clacking noise, like a balloon blowing through a bone wind chime.

Tuvarkz
2016-10-01, 03:10 PM
((OoC: Darn, Form Astral Armor is incredibly versatile as a power.))

As the mist blocked his path, Andreas once more manifested his Astral Suit, instead crafting it so that he would be able to detect if the presence stepped too close, as he shouted: "Stay close!"

((FRA, form astral armor. Tremorsense (30 feet), Energy Resistance (Cold 10), Improved Energy Resistance (Cold to 20), swift to enter style, and 5-foot step towards the source of the sound.))

r2d2go
2016-10-02, 03:57 AM
You can detect the presence as you step forward, allowing you to sense it charging as you shout to your party...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

r2d2go
2016-10-02, 04:27 AM
...but it still manages to close the gap and strike first. It slashes and stabs at you with a thin blade, a claw, and a stinger at inhuman speed, making several well-placed cuts on your vital organs, then fades into the mist. You can sense it in front of you, but can't see it.

You take 69 damage (32 from weapon crit, 25 from weapon crit, 12 from poison sting), and you're poisoned (save Fort DC 20; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d4 Dexterity; cure 2 consecutive saves).

You and Liara are up, then the NPC crew, then back to the enemy again.

[roll0], [roll1], [roll2], [roll3], [roll4], [roll5]
[roll6], [roll7], [roll8], [roll9], [roll10], [roll11]
[roll12], [roll13], [roll14], [roll15], [roll16], [roll17]
[roll18]

Tuvarkz
2016-10-05, 01:13 PM
((Welp, that's plenty of crits))
As the half-giant was pummeled, Liara transferred most of the brunt of the initial blow to herself, mitigating it, followed by the zealot roaring to empower the Warder as she spent further power to heal him.
Andreas, then attempted to strike the enemy with a holy-powered blade, followed by changing his stance to increase his defenses!

Liara will transfer 30 damage from the first attack to herself, mitigating 18 by burning 6 PP, followed by Encouraging Roar as swift, free to spend her psi focus and 6 pp to heal Andreas for 24, and move action w/Psionic Meditation to recover her focus.
Andreas will standard to Silver Knight's Blade the opponent, +4d6 sacred damage and healing for that same bonus damage on a hit. (In addition, uppon hitting he will place an armiger's mark upon the enemy if it can be applied) Afterwards, as a swift action, he will change stances to Silver Crane Waltz, effectively increasing his AC by 2.

Andreas Attack Roll
[roll0]
Miss chance (As per pfsrd, total concealment means 1-50 hits, 51-100 misses)
[roll1]
Andreas Weapon Damage roll
[roll2]
Sacred damage/healing
[roll3]

r2d2go
2016-10-06, 03:15 AM
As you manage to cleave into your assailant, positive energy flows into you from one of your allies, but the precise cuts of your enemy are, for the most part, only superficially healed. However, you can see you've inflicted equal wounds on your opponent as as it flickers into partial view, only partially concealed by mist. It strikes with its stinger as you process its shape - similar to the insectoid creatures from before, but with bright markings on its shells - then backs away into the fog. However, it's not done - a blade stabs at you with lightning speed from the creature's obscured location...

Assumed since you didn't make any Fort saves, I can just roll those for you on the poison.

You're healed for 7, take 23, and you overcome the first instance of poison but get poisoned again.

[roll0]
[roll1], [roll2], [roll3], [roll4], [roll5]
[roll6], [roll7], [roll8], [roll9], [roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]

Tuvarkz
2016-10-11, 11:56 AM
((Forgot about making the Fort save, will counter this one))
As the second sting arrived, Andreas took the hit, attempting to resist the poison again. Liara once more boosted his accuracy, and the half-giant answered with a mighty shield bash!

Sanguine Perserance with immediate, Sense motive roll instead of fort save.
Liara will standard to recover Encouraging Roar, and spend a swift to use it again.
Andreas will Sanguine Perseverance as immediate to replace fort save, following with Smashing Shell as standard. On a hit, insect needs to make a DC 20 Fort save or be dazed. ((Hm, neither the pfsrd or the copy of the PoW pdf specify a set duration. One of the variations of the Energy Hammer maneuver set the duration at 1d4, do we go with that or with a single round of dazing?))
Sangine Perseverance (Replaces fort save)
[roll0]
Attack Roll
[roll1]
[roll2]
Weapon damage roll
[roll3]
Maneuver bonus damage
[roll4]

r2d2go
2016-10-11, 10:27 PM
From behind you, you hear a frustrated, "What's going on?" as the creature attacks again, stinging you before fading back into the mist and attacking with its bladed weapon. Someone heals you again as you hear, "He can see it, we can't. Assist if you can, but don't just swing blindly."

51 damage (20/20/11).

[roll0], [roll1], [roll2], [roll3], [roll4], [roll5]
[roll6], [roll7], [roll8], [roll9], [roll10], [roll11]
[roll12], [roll13], [roll14], [roll15], [roll16], [roll17]

[roll18]

Tuvarkz
2016-10-17, 10:53 AM
Liara, taking part of the first attack onto himself, followed by keeping Andreas empowered and healing him back up. The half-giant then answered with a flurry of attacks!

Liara will take 16 points of damage from the first attack. She will then spend focus and 6 PP to heal andreas for 24, recover it as a move action, recover Enc roar as a standard, and use it as a swift action.
Andreas will spend a swift to enter Iron Tortoise style, and then full attacking the enemy with his deep crystal blade's ability activated, TWFing ((Please tell me how many hits to calculate PP use later))

Attack 1
Attack roll
[roll0]
[roll1]
Weapon damage roll
[roll2]
Deep Crystal weapon bonus damage
[roll3]

OH Attack
Attack roll
[roll4]
[roll5]
Weapon damage roll
[roll6]
[roll7]

Attack 2
Attack roll
[roll8]
[roll9]
Weapon damage roll
[roll10]
[roll11]

r2d2go
2016-10-18, 01:38 AM
Smashing and slashing, you bisect the insectoid creature through its abdomen, leaving it dead on the ground.

Encounter complete! 4800 XP.

The creature had Fogcutting Lenses (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/lenses-fogcutting), as well as a masterwork Longspear.

Tuvarkz
2016-10-18, 02:40 AM
((3600 exp to Andreas, 1200 to Liara. Also, regarding the Lenses, they are brought up as Face slot items, yet PF divided that 3.5 slot into Head and Eyes. The pfsrd wondrous item section brings up that lenses generally go in the Eyes slot, so I presume they use that instead.))
Taking a few breaths after bringing down the insectoid, the half-giant stored the longspear in his bags and placed the lenses over his eyes, to see what was hiding behind the fog, verbally informing the rest of the group about it.

r2d2go
2016-10-21, 11:49 PM
Looking through the fog with your new lenses, you find that it's more or less an empty stone room, smoothly excavated in a cylinder. The exit behind you and an opening directly across from it are the only doorways in the room, with the unexplored hall apparently sloping slightly downwards. The group seems somewhat disgruntled by the situation, but make no comment, beyond Mary offering to heal you with a wand before continuing onward.

Tuvarkz
2016-10-22, 03:33 AM
"Some healing would be good indeed. Please also use the wand on Liara, she had plenty of the damage I took transmitted to herself." said Andreas, agreeing that some healing would be wise.

r2d2go
2016-10-24, 03:28 AM
After healing you and Liara, the group proceeds onwards. However, the mist soon intensifies, and while you are protected from the biting cold, it seems to make you breathe a little heavier. By the time the next point of interest appears - a small room, with several more insectoid corpses piled by an exit to the left, and another exit, free of corpses, to the right - you feel quite tired, despite never increasing your pace beyond a walk.

Everyone's fatigued.

Tuvarkz
2016-10-24, 04:03 AM
((Healed to full, I presume? Also, I'm presuming these 'exits' are still filled with mist, right?))
"If there's something dangerous here," said Andreas between breaths, "we might find ourselves unable to deal with it. We should retreat for now, as further exploration like this would be reckless."

r2d2go
2016-10-26, 03:04 AM
Yep and yep.

Where exactly do you want to retreat to?

The group agrees, and retreats.

Tuvarkz
2016-10-31, 11:13 AM
((You missed my ooc post? posting IC just in case that happened))

As the group retreated, Andreas argued for going to the complex's entrance, as further exploration could still present dangers they had far less resources to deal with than what they currently had at hand.

r2d2go
2016-11-01, 12:29 AM
Sorry, yeah.

After a long, relatively uninteresting climb to the top of the mountain, you're back on the surface. Quite some time has passed after going up and down thousands of feet, but there's still the last hints of light from a rose-colored sun as it sets.

Tuvarkz
2016-11-07, 05:47 PM
((Sorry, missed the IC post since I was busy studying for exams and it must have scrolled through-my bad for not checking the thread directly))

As the group exited the compound, Andreas suggested "Let's set up camp early. I'll take the first watch, and Liara the second."

r2d2go
2016-11-10, 06:43 PM
In the night, during Mary's shift (the fourth of five), she wakes the group up, Messaging in a whisper that "Footsteps approach. Heavy - ready for combat?" You can't see what she's talking about, but you can hear the heavy thuds, making their way towards you from about sixty feet away.

Yeah, sorry, I've been busy as well. Big essay due in two days, followed by finals :smallsigh:

Tuvarkz
2016-11-14, 11:05 AM
Andreas nodded, waking up as Liara re-connected everyone available to the collective as the duo readied themselves for combat.
((I'll assume that we haven't gotten the daily HP/PP replenishment yet. Both Andreas and Liara enter their usual stances, and Andreas uses Form Astral Armor, burning 7 pp, getting Darkvision 60, Reach, Improved Damage.
OoC note: I won't have any more exams until later next month after Friday's one, so I should be good to post at the usual rate once more.))

r2d2go
2016-11-16, 03:25 AM
Entering a combat-ready position, the group tensely waits as the footsteps approach closer. Eventually, over the side of the mountain, the head of a strange, reptilian creature appears, along with a huge club it has slung over its shoulder. Its footsteps continue to rumble towards you, but it doesn't seem to immediately attack.

Tuvarkz
2016-11-16, 03:42 AM
As the creature approached, Andreas once more tapped into his psionic might, growing to a huge size himself as he drew his even bigger greatsword; intent on having his now-similarly sized foe reconsider its possibilities, saying in Draconic: "We seek no conflict, but will defend ourselves if you are intent on it." ((Expansion, 7pp, Andreas is now Huge, effectively around 33 feet tall))

r2d2go
2016-11-16, 05:31 AM
As the creature reaches even ground with you, you get a full view of its grotesque body - a lizardlike, armored body, towering almost to your height, utterly mutilated and re-stitched together with metal plates and tubing. The plates are arranged in an almost artistic pattern, letting what looks like blood from open wounds all over the torso flow through a lattice of metal, scale, and bone. Beyond the extensive work on the creature's body, it seems the club you saw slung over its shoulder is actually attached to its arm, which is strangely disjointed and pinned back together with metal spikes to form an unnaturally long, almost fluid shape. The creature, as you grow above its height, leans back, screwing up its face and staring up, then bellows with laughter - a gurgling, rasping noise that reminds you an awful lot of the strange sharklike abomination you slew in the cave. It puts its club-arm to the ground, grabbing it with its normal claw and leaning on it, then says, "You are even greater than reported. Very well - I will match your civility. Either way, I will attack, but if you fight me alone, I will not bring your companions with me to the Plane of Torture to be ground into flesh-meal if I triumph." Lifting the club back up, the creature's scaly brow furrows, and he rumbles, "Either way, if you are mighty enough to defeat me, know they will only send more, and more powerful agents. You will become one of us, one way or another."

Tuvarkz
2016-11-16, 07:57 AM
"Well, it seems like defeating your kin has attracted quite the unwanted attention," commented Andreas in answer, perfecting his stance and further empowering himself, and taking a step forwards. "Come!" the half-giant said, as he mentally communicated to Mary and her allies through Liara's collective: "You are free to help me or stay neutral, although in the former case some immediate healing would be appreciated."

((Swift to enter style, standard to manifest physical acceleration, and take a 5-foot step forwards.
Also, just to keep track, Andreas is at 54/74 HP, has a reach of 20 feet (25 for aoos); and after manifesting his power his AC is at 24 (26-4 from expansion+1 from astral suit+1 from physical accel) and has only 9 PP left.))

r2d2go
2016-11-19, 05:32 AM
"Yes, you could say that... I see you, small one. You may enhance my mark, but then, step away. I would hate to accidentally damage your body. Now... are you ready?" The creature hefts its club-arm, holding it with the other hand, as Mary dashes forward and heals you, then backs away.

You heal for 11. You can take as many rounds of buffs as you'd like, then you're up first in initiative.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Tuvarkz
2016-11-19, 08:47 AM
While he'd very much rather have the time to prepare, Andreas couldn't stay in his accelerated form for long, and the half-giant had very little he could improve himself in with his remaining psionic pool that wouldn't be better useable to deflect a lethal attack.
As such, the moment Liara roared to give him the initial push, Andreas pounced at his foe, unleashing a deadly barrage of attacks!
((Encouraging Roar from Liara, Andreas will psionic lion's charge and full attack, with TWF. +2 to attack and damage rolls if at 20 feet Andreas is within the threatened zone of his enemy. On a hit, applying an Armiger's mark for the usual penalties))
Attack 1
Attack roll
[roll0]
Damage roll
[roll1]
Haste Attack
Attack roll
[roll2]
Damage roll
[roll3]
OH Attack
Attack roll
[roll4]
Damage roll
[roll5]
Attack 2
Attack roll
[roll6]
Damage roll
[roll7]

r2d2go
2016-11-22, 02:59 AM

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Snorting, the creature laughs as your attacks mostly deflect off its hide and plating, then starts walking towards you. You manage to bash him with your shield as he approaches, causing him to flinch, and continue striking as he moves to slam you with his club, but it seems he is unstoppable.

You take 40 damage from a club strike. He has 15 foot reach and 5 foot stepped into you - I don't recall an ability that gives you an AoO?

Tuvarkz
2016-11-22, 09:00 AM
As the club seemed to approach him, Andreas's eyes glowed with psionic might as the warrior warily side-stepped the attack, the elf roaring once more to encourage. Answering with his own flurry of attacks, Andreas once more stepped back into a safer range.
((Sidestep as immediate, 3pp, autododges the melee attack. Liara recovers Encouraging Roar as standard and uses it again after moving within range of Andreas. Full attack, no TWF, then 5-foot step out of his reach))

Attack 1
Attack roll
[roll0]
Damage roll
[roll1]

Haste Attack
Attack roll
[roll2]
Damage roll
[roll3]

Attack 2
Attack roll
[roll4]
Damage roll
[roll5]

r2d2go
2016-11-26, 02:49 AM
Again ignoring all but the final attack, the giant creature winces as you jam your blade into a relatively unprotected section of its flesh, but shoves away from the blade and comes at you again. This time, its club misses, slamming into the ground and shaking it beneath you, but it manages to spin and slam you with a suddenly-extended tail, sections of flesh disjoining to smash into you at breakneck speeds.

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Take 19 damage, and a Fort Save DC 23 or you're Stunned for 1 round.

Tuvarkz
2016-11-30, 05:38 AM
Once more moving at a last second to dodge the sudden attack, Andreas answered once more with a brutal barrage as he kept the tempo!
((Immediate to Sidestep, and repeat as last turn))

Attack 1
Attack roll
[roll0]
Damage roll
[roll1]

Haste Attack
Attack roll
[roll2]
Damage roll
[roll3]

Attack 2
Attack roll
[roll4]
Damage roll
[roll5]

r2d2go
2016-12-03, 08:44 AM
Since you didn't roll the Fort save, I'll do it for you: [roll0]

Edit: Oh, you dodged it, so you didn't have to. Nevermind.

Frustratedly swinging in as you open another large gash across the creature's chest, not a single attack from the massive club manages to strike true.

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Tuvarkz
2016-12-05, 11:31 AM
((Tbh, not a big fan of stand-and-full attack encounters; issue is that atm, assuming that the enemy is immune to fear just like the previous one from the Plane of Torture Andreas fought, I have not much in the way of defensives that can stand a full attack. Here's hoping to a good string of rolls to win the encounter. Will probably aim for another attack blocking maneuver on the levelup so might not have the problem for long.))

Encouraged by the fact that he seemed to be taking the upper hand, Andreas kept using his winning strategy!

((Repeat as last turn))

Attack 1
Attack roll
[roll0]
Damage roll
[roll1]

Haste Attack
Attack roll
[roll2]
Damage roll
[roll3]

Attack 2
Attack roll
[roll4]
Damage roll
[roll5]

EDIT: last attack threatens, confirming in OoC.

r2d2go
2016-12-08, 04:13 AM
Crunching through the bone underneath the plating, your greatsword slashes finish off the massive reptilian creature, and it collapses. Grinning at you as it slumps to the ground, you hear a gurgling, wheezing, "this will be beautiful..." as the giant corpse thuds to the ground, then shrinks to about your original size.

9600 XP. Also, its greatclub shrinks with it, and it deals 4d6 damage.

Tuvarkz
2016-12-09, 12:10 PM
((On a bit of a block regarding levelup options, if you wouldn't mind giving me a few days more to decide on powers/maneuvers?))
His foe defeated, Andreas picked the weapon left behind as he dismissed his psionic power, returning to normal size. The half-giant then rejoined the group, and said, looking both physically and mentally tired: "Can we discuss this after resting? There's things I want to ask about the information I got from his words, but my mind isn't at its best right now."

r2d2go
2016-12-11, 06:05 AM
In varying degrees of shock, the group nods silently. Then, Mary shares a meaningful glance with the other two, and after seeming to reach some sort of agreement, walks over to you. As places a hand on your arm, healing some of your wounds, she says, "You've done more than enough tonight. Get some rest."

The next morning, the corpse is gone, as are many more of your wounds. Steve, Xander and Mary all look marginally less rested than you, but they are up before you, seated around a small fire, where Xander is cooking hotcakes.

No problem, take your time.

You heal for [roll0], in addition to your normal night's rest.

Tuvarkz
2016-12-13, 05:38 AM
((Alright, done with levelup. 8000 exp to Andreas, 1600 to Liara))

Feeling entirely refreshed, Andreas approached the group, his mind already figuring out new ways to employ his capabilities in combat.

Approaching and greeting the group, the half-giant pulled out the greatclub he obtained from last night's foe and showed it to Mary, asking for her to identify any magical properties it might have, if possible. Andreas was intent on asking about the Plane of Torture to the knowledgeable elf, but he'd rather not ruin everyone's appetite with what was likely to be a gruesome topic, so he decided to wait on it until later.