PDA

View Full Version : Which option is stronger/better overall?

Spacehamster
2016-06-23, 12:08 PM
As a bladelock would you says 1 level fighter and 2 paladin is superior to 2 paladin 2 fighter? First one lacks action surge but gets 9th level spell in the end. So guess question is: would you say action surge sooner is stronger then a late late game true polymorph? Leaning towards action surge is better since you would have use of that for a long part of the game.

This be Richard
2016-06-23, 01:21 PM
Unless your DM plans to ramp up to 20 quickly and/or extend the game for a significant time after reaching 20, I'd say action surge is the better pick.

But I guess it also kind of depends on when you intend to multiclass where. Are you rushing for Thirsting Blade asap? How about Lifedrinker? At what point do you break off to pick up those paladin and fighter levels?

Easy_Lee
2016-06-23, 01:24 PM
I don't think you ought to take both fighter and paladin for a bladelock. That delays your progression too much. Instead, just pick the one you prefer, then go into warlock.

Both are potentially quite useful to a bladelock.

Spacehamster
2016-06-23, 01:42 PM
I don't think you ought to take both fighter and paladin for a bladelock. That delays your progression too much. Instead, just pick the one you prefer, then go into warlock.

Both are potentially quite useful to a bladelock.

Starting fighter 1 and go right to warlock 12 for CHA to damage and then take the two paladin levels for smiting were the plan so really just delaying progress by one level.

Waazraath
2016-06-23, 02:09 PM
Starting fighter 1 and go right to warlock 12 for CHA to damage and then take the two paladin levels for smiting were the plan so really just delaying progress by one level.

Starting fighter 1, then warlock 12, yes... I don't know about the two paladin levels. Warlock spells are great on a bladelock, you might simply want to use them on Armor of Agathys, or Darkness, or something, and not delaying ASI's and high level spells.

Easy_Lee
2016-06-23, 02:26 PM
Agreed. And if you do make it to high levels as a bladelock, you want foresight ASAP.

djreynolds
2016-06-24, 01:47 AM
3 levels of Eldritch knight, or a level of sorcerer gets you the shield spell. For a bladelock, this is awesome for when you do not want to get hit and are strength based and cannot use defensive duelist because you are swinging a great sword.

2 levels of paladin gives you the ability to smite, enough said.

3 levels of devotion gives you sacred weapon, rechargeable on a short rest as its channel divinity.

The shield spell is awesome. 3 EK gives you that, as does 1 level of sorcerer or wizard.

Giant2005
2016-06-24, 02:24 AM
If I were going to go for Heavy Armor (I assume that is the point) with a 3 level dip on a Warlock, I wouldn't choose any Martial Class.
I'd go with 1 level of Cleric and 2 levels of Sorcerer. That way you have level 2 spell slots for non scaling spells like Darkness and Shield.

djreynolds
2016-06-24, 02:40 AM
If I were going to go for Heavy Armor (I assume that is the point) with a 3 level dip on a Warlock, I wouldn't choose any Martial Class.
I'd go with 1 level of Cleric and 2 levels of Sorcerer. That way you have level 2 spell slots for non scaling spells like Darkness and Shield.

Awesome, cleric gives you healing also, and good call on darkness also, great spell.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-24, 03:13 AM

This build is already MAD, why add more MAD?

You want Str or Dex, Con, and Cha. Adding Cleric gives you a need for at least a 13 Wis and If you want a 16 in your Str and Cha then you are hitting 8 in your dex. Not the worst thing but your initiative blows.

Giant2005
2016-06-24, 03:34 AM
This build is already MAD, why add more MAD?

You want Str or Dex, Con, and Cha. Adding Cleric gives you a need for at least a 13 Wis and If you want a 16 in your Str and Cha then you are hitting 8 in your dex. Not the worst thing but your initiative blows.

Having a 14 in Wis isn't the end of the world - most builds would strive for it anyway.