PDA

View Full Version : Simple Grapple Question

Someguy231
2016-06-23, 02:25 PM
So, I was wondering... I'm making a Gashodokuro for an encounter in an Eastern themed Campaign (Statting it as a Gargantuan Skeleton with Blood Drain) and I was wondering, is a Gargantuan capable of grappling a medium sized creature each in one hand?

Khedrac
2016-06-23, 02:53 PM
This is 3.5 - there are no simple grapple questions.

That said, this is simpler than most.
Size is not relevant here - any creature can choose to take a minus 20 on their grapple check to be considered "not grappling". They have to nominate a limb to hold the opponent they are grappling, (so cannot otherwise attack with that limb) but they are then free to interact with other opponents normally.

Edit - ignore some of what I said above - my thanks to Red Fel for correctly pointing out that the creature needs Improved Grab to take the -20 penalty discussed.

Necroticplague
2016-06-23, 02:55 PM
So, I was wondering... I'm making a Gashodokuro for an encounter in an Eastern themed Campaign (Statting it as a Gargantuan Skeleton with Blood Drain) and I was wondering, is a Gargantuan capable of grappling a medium sized creature each in one hand?

Yes.

Multiple Grapplers

Several combatants can be in a single grapple. Up to four combatants can grapple a single opponent in a given round. Creatures that are one or more size categories smaller than you count for half, creatures that are one size category larger than you count double, and creatures two or more size categories larger count quadruple.

When you are grappling with multiple opponents, you choose one opponent to make an opposed check against. The exception is an attempt to escape from the grapple; to successfully escape, your grapple check must beat the check results of each opponent.
That being said, if you want the "in each hand" you mean "without slowing down", you'd also need to give it Improved Grab.

Red Fel
2016-06-23, 03:01 PM

Inherently? No. With the Improved Grab (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_improvedgrab&alpha=) ability? Probably.

Read the ability. When a creature with Improved Grab makes a melee attack with a natural weapon, it may immediately make a grapple attempt. If grappling a smaller opponent, it may choose to grip that opponent with that single body part, rather than in a normal grapple.

Given how this modifies grappling, I would hold that it allows a creature with multiple natural weapons to attempt to grapple with each one.

If you don't feel comfortable simply giving your giant skeleton the Improved Grab ability, there are ways to get it. For example, a Barbarian with the Spirit Bear Totem ACF (Complete Champion) replaces Fast Movement with Improved Grab at level 1. Bam, easy.

As a bonus, consider finding a way to give him the Constrict (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_constrict&alpha=C) ability, which would let him crush his enemies when making his grapple attempt.