PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How to play a low level Zen Archer?

Gruzzle
2016-06-23, 02:33 PM
Hi all! I'm going to be using http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2nix8?Zen-and-the-Art-of-Monk-Maintenance-A-Guide#1 in an upcoming game. Im reading up on both archetypes that it uses but I'm wondering if anyone has tips on how to really get the most out of him at each level. The guide really only talks about how to build up to 20 and what he can do once he maxes out. Thanks!

Geddy2112
2016-06-23, 04:42 PM
Ah, here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2858.0) is a much better handbook for the Zen Archer that covers it all the way through.

The thing is, the class usually plays and builds itself without much effort. You just keep gaining levels, maxing wis, getting the best bow you can, and done.

Florian
2016-06-24, 01:01 AM
Zen/Quinggong is a good combination that can decently self-buff. On the downside, it has no inherent to-hit/damage bonus and youīre quite dependent on Perfect Shot until Zen Archery comes online at 3rd.

You might actually consider dipping one level of Empyreal Sorcerer (Edit: Wild Blooded Celestial Bloodline that uses WIS as casting stat) very early on to gain Mage Armor and Gravity Bow (and a wand of Magic Weapon). Depending on race choice, you might consider dipping or switching to Arcane Archer once Monk levels start to become boring.

Feats is the usual ranged progression pf PBS > Deadly Aim > Clustered Shots, with WepFocus, Precise Shot, Perfect Shot and Point-Blank Mastery as bonus feats early on, making an impressive mix that you.... canīt really use until Zen Archery. So, early on, donīt flurry as your hit-chance is very slim. Single attack with Perfect Strike for the reroll and thatīs that. (Do the math: a reroll is pretty much the equivalent of a +5 bonus.)

Unlike the guide, Iīm actually in favor of the Half Elf for this, as itīs a way to get the Elven Accuracy feat and Exileīs Path is a nice high-level option when done with the relevant archery feats.

Edit: Keep in mind that a Monks Robe gives more or less 4 virtual levels of Monk, so you have a bit of leeway when it comes to dipping.

StreamOfTheSky
2016-06-24, 06:12 PM
Ah, here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2858.0) is a much better handbook for the Zen Archer that covers it all the way through.

The thing is, the class usually plays and builds itself without much effort. You just keep gaining levels, maxing wis, getting the best bow you can, and done.

Thanks. Another handbook I never finished, and I've been out of the loop on PF for a few years now, so I couldn't finish it if I wanted to.

And agreed. Zen Archer Monk is one of the most beginner-friendly archetypes/classes in the game. Beyond the insane decision (or oversight, more likely) to keep him at monk wealth for level 1 and thus not afford a bow, the class is pretty much built for you already. You use your bonus feats on Precise Shot and PBS, then at 6 on Imp. Precise Shot....You take Deadly Aim at level 1 or 3 depending on DM ruling, Clustered Shots at 7 or 9 (again, depending on DM), and...that's about it. You shoot stuff. Then shoot some more. On special occasions, you burn ki for more shooting.

In terms of multiclassing, there are some clear break points. Level 3 gets Point Blank Master and Wis to ranged attacks. Level 6 gives Weapon Specialization and Imp. Precise Shot, level 8 is another flurry attack...beyond that, the next truly good breakpoint is level 17 for Ki Focus Bow (so you can shoot stunning, serenity, punishing, perfect, etc... arrows every flurry for 17+ rounds per day). I'd multiclass out if advancing through all those mid levels and no clue if you'll ever actually see level 17, let alone how long it will be. You can get tons of great stuff from other classes that outshines levels 9-16. Abundant Step is cool but purely utility/emergency and if evil-aligned Ki Leech spell-like ability (via Qinggong Monk) basically gives you infinite ki, but those are the only real things you'll miss out on in those mid levels.

Florian
2016-06-24, 07:54 PM
Yes, the levels 9-16 are the great gap. Thatīs why I think that Sorc1/Monk8/AA1+ is the more enjoyable build when itīs clear that you wonīt reach levels beyond 15.

Palanan
2016-06-24, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Florian
Thatīs why I think that Sorc1/Monk8/AA1+ is the more enjoyable build....

Any particular sorcerer spells you would recommend for this one?

Florian
2016-06-24, 08:22 PM
Any particular sorcerer spells you would recommend for this one?

Depends on your party and what buffs are available. I go with the standard assumption that with a Zen Archer, you keep DEX pretty low as you swap it out for WIS. Youīll also want to wear (Greater) Bracers of Archery, so that leaves a huge gap on AC. Thatīs why Iīd go for basic Mage Armor and Shield for defense, Gravity Bow for offense and use a basic Wand of Magic Weapon at lower levels to deal with DR and a Wand of Obscuring Mist for general effect. Qinggong provides access to Barkskin, so later AA levels simply go towards Mirror Image as that defensive spell keeps being relevant against a lot of enemies, even at mid to high levels.