PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Optimization - Help me "save" a character

fokker
2016-06-23, 03:30 PM
Hi girls and boys.

I would really appreciate your help with the next character I am about to play. Good news - game will be run in (customized/homebrew) Pathfinder/Golarion setting (Varisia), all Paizo stuff is allowed, and most of 3rd party as well. Bad news - rolls are rather dismal, and couple of choices that I made can not be reversed. I will list here the non-changeable things and kindly ask for your help in making this at least a semi-playable character. Thanks a lot in advance.

Class - Cleric of Pharasma (godess of fate, rebirth, death and prophecy)
Race - Dhampir (Variant Dhampir Heritage Moroi-born, Svetocher; but variant heritage can be changed still)

Stat rolls (original): 6, 6, 11, 11, 13, 14

Current stats (can be changed, adjusted for dhampir/Moroi-born)

STR 8 (was 6)
DEX 11
CON 11 (was 13)
INT 6
WIS 14
CHA 13 (was 11)

Feats/traits - all else is changeable. I have a grand total of 2 feats and 2 traits available, or 3 feats (and no traits).

We're starting with 4 levels in NPC class (any) and then following up with 1 level in original class.

So currently, my dhampir has 4 levels of Adept (NPC class) and 1 level of cleric. Due to strange combo of Adept/Cleric levels, I am able to cast one spell of level 2 (due to bonus WIS), two lvl 1 Adept spells, one lvl 1 cleric spell, one domain lvl 1 spell, additional lvl 1 cleric spell (due to bonus WIS) and 3+3 Orisons (3 from adept list, 3 from cleric list).

Due to some good rolls at least, I have a grand total of 28 HP (20 HP from 4d6 rolls from 4 Adept levels, and full 8 HP from cleric 1st level). Current AC is 18 = 6 from breastplate and 2 from heavy shield (regular equipment can be adjusted/switched)

Familiar - Raven (from Adept class/can not be changed)

Additional starting "boon" - an item which gives +2 to Influence rolls (skills are combined, Influence=Diplomacy+Bluff) and most importantly maybe +2 bonus to DC of enchantment spells I cast. This item has other "unlockable" features (I do not know which ones), but my INT/CHA is too low at the moment.

Two other guys that I know will be playing are heavy damage dealers - a Shoanti barbarian, wielding an oversized greatsword (3d6 for dmg I think) and a Oracle of Metal, suited to a warrior role, and praying to Deity of War.

Your proposals are more than welcome :-)

Geddy2112
2016-06-23, 04:51 PM
Other than garbage stat rolls, I think you are alright.
Considering that before racial mods, you have a net negative in modifiers, I would ask to get a reroll, or throw out rolling in favor of a more balanced system. That might just be me being bitter as I am also the type to usually have garbage rolled stats, combined with the fact another player in my group is the kind to have 3 18's pre racial mods on rolls.

For feats, you likely want selective channeling-you are likely channeling negative to heal yourself while nuking enemies, and you don't wanna hurt your friends. Summoning is a very strong build for a cleric, so consider the spell focus-conjuration and augment summons combo, as well as sacred summons so you can summon neutral monsters as a standard action instead of 1 round casting. Grab improved familiar if your new class levels will count towards your NPC levels.

If you go positive energy channel, take your deity specific channel feat fateful channel.

With your current stats, avoid melee. Grab a crossbow so you can plink when you run out of spells.

fokker
2016-06-24, 05:03 AM
Very good suggestions, thank you for it. Summoning seems the way to go at the moment. I posted the same thing at Paizo site, and got a few proposals similar to what you said here, so maybe something of the following:

Boon companion feat - to boost my current familiar (Raven) to equivalent of Master Level 8, and have him act as bodyguard of a sorts, while I slowly level up using Herald Caller archetype and move in the direction of Envoy of Balance prestige class.

How does that sound - does it make sense?

Geddy2112
2016-06-24, 10:14 AM
Herald caller is strong if you really wanna summon, but giving up a domain is a hard pill to swallow. Knowledge, repose, and death are all very strong choices that the lady of graves gives. Death is a bit less appealing to you as you can heal with neg energy already, and the psychopomp subdomain is not the best for a replacement. Getting free augment summons and no stupid spell focus: conjuration requirement makes up for it I suppose. Both repose and knowledge domain have a meh spell list as most are cleric spells already-if you wanna spam divination and ID monsters go knowledge. If you wanna debuff and protect the party from death go repose. Personally I think repose has stronger powers, and envoy of balance gets all knowledge skills as class skills, which makes the knowledge domain less appealing(although with 6 int and few ranks you won't be able to be a party textbook).

Boon companion is a great choice here, and it will let you qualify for an improved familiar, which is bonkers good. Get something with speech and hands so it can use wands/scrolls and you are golden. If you don't want one with hands you can take the evolved familiar feat and give it a tentacle or arm to use wands and stuff.

Envoy of balance is a great PrC-planar pariety is the big draw as it will prevent protection from X from stopping their attacks and should be your first pick. The channel modifying endowments are great, although you will want selective channel and versatile channel(you probably should get these feats anyways) and utterly inscrutable is great at higher levels. Aligned annulment and aligned counter are pretty worthless, so don't waste an endowment on them.

Feats: Selective channel, Versatile Channel, Fateful Channel, Summon Neutral Monster, Sacred Summons, Boon Companion, Improved Familiar. Don't take any summon boosting feats till at least cleric level 3, as your summons won't last long enough in combat to matter. Improved initiative is always a good feat if you are needing an extra.