PDA

View Full Version : Artificer build help

Zakier
2016-06-24, 05:05 PM
Or group is going to be going back to 3.5 in our next campaign and I've decided to prepare early.

I'm generally used to playing a rogue to 20 or multi class rogue/ assassin.

This time I've decided to break away from my comfort zone and build artificer since I still fill the trapper role.

I've read over the artificer handbook and not sure if any of the suggested builds exactly what I wish to have.

I've decided to play WarForged

My stats rolled from 4d6 drop lowest are (after WarForged adjustments)
Str 8, dex 14, con 12, int 18, wis 12, cha 16

Our campaign is beginning at level 6.
We are allowed to purchase or craft or gear
When crafting gear I have to craft as if I had been doing so leveling up.
I have to keep a record of what was Crafted at what level as well as the item prices.

Books available are anything 3.5 wotc .
And anything published with the consent of wotc.

As a house rule we are using pathfinders rules for custom construct crafting.

The Animated object rules only in conjunction with construct crafting

And the monster creation rules again only in conjunction when building a construct it homunculus.

Constructs use high or low attack depending on creation, homunculi can only use low.

I've learned I think just about everything needed to get started if h was already playing. I understand the crafting systems,

My problem now is getting that character built.

I want it to be a balanced Artificer. Meaning I want constructs by not focused there, homunculi at least one Wight, one arbalaster, 1 furtive filcher and a pack mate, iron defender

Actual combat construct I have no idea.
Personal weapon in thinking repeating crossbow that I'll continue to customize.

(Or be the rare repeating musket since the dm goes by the rule if I convince him it works mechanically in the real world I can build it in game. But in limited to materials available in game. I'm thinking steam punk)

I still want to be able to do a fair amount of crafting.

DM cracks down on optimization cheese but if I find a way to make money respectively I can do so.

This is what I'm wanting, I know I need the extraordinary Artisan feat and legendary Artisan which in thinking I would take as quickly as possible.

I've seen mention of giving up craft homunculus at the early level for some tools thing and that craft construct would allow me to still make homunculi later.

Can someone help me build my artificer from this? I've got no idea when to take which feats, what kind of items I would want at start, wether I should build a construct and homunculi early or wait till game starts

I need help. If possible a kind of leveling guide up to level 6 or even higher if you're willing.

Items only up to level 6 and at West level I should consider making them. I can do the math myself on building the items.

Please include either feat info if ogl or a book reference if you have it.

Troacctid
2016-06-24, 05:16 PM
Well, definitely take the Wand Bonding feat (from City of Stormreach), since it's crazy good, especially considering its interaction with partially charged wands. (If you can buy wands with only a single charge, you absolutely should.)

Warforged Artificer substitution levels (Races of Eberron) are quite good as well.

Gildedragon
2016-06-24, 05:51 PM
I'd say: ditch the rogue levels

For a steamy punky feel: how do you or your DM feel about Devices from Ravenloft

Zakier
2016-06-24, 08:04 PM
You may have miss read. Rogue is what I usually play. This time im going arty for all 20 levels and maybe more into epics. I'll look over ravenloft for item ideas but I'm more concerned about feats and the levels I should take them

daremetoidareyo
2016-06-25, 12:21 AM
I posted a build HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?486557-wand-optimization&highlight=cannith).

The only apparent problem is that 1.) it needs flaws and 2.) warforged can't belong to house cannith because they aint human.

If you are allowed to take two flaws, Absolutely get wandbonding. But also take the human heritage feat on top of everything else listed in the stub. Just backstory something about some house Cannith human inventor slaving away so hard that when he imbued your warforged self to life, he spent some of his human essence into you or some other nonsense to justify your human paternity.

And then double recklessly wield culled quickened wands.

Troacctid
2016-06-25, 12:37 AM
Warforged aren't half-human or human-descended. They can't qualify for Human Heritage.

I mean, it's technically possible, but it generally involves having 10 levels of Renegade Mastermaker, which is a tall order for a character who is level 6.

daremetoidareyo
2016-06-25, 12:57 AM
Warforged aren't half-human or human-descended. They can't qualify for Human Heritage.

I agree with you on a RAI basis. But, if your entire race has descended from individual magical artisans, it isn't too crazy to contend that you are human descended, just not biologically. It's a corny workaround, but it actually does have some fun narrative potential: An android so masterfully constructed that it is accepted by its creator's family as kin.

Troacctid
2016-06-25, 01:09 AM
If you're not biologically related, you are by definition not a descendant. The word refers exclusively to blood relationships.

tokyooo23
2016-06-25, 01:27 AM
I take apprentice(craftsman) at lvl 1, Item familiar at lvl 3, Extraordinary artisan at lvl 4 (bonus feat), and if you do end up taking the sub levels that get rid of craft homunculus I take craft construct at 6. Though I view artificer with more of a crafting aspect than other people do, so this just suits my flavor of an artificer.

An artificer's monocle will save you money in the long run, so i suggest making that what you can. Also custom items of +X to UMD could aid you in your career.

Zakier
2016-06-25, 01:54 AM
Your build can't work without dm Fiat.

The bonus feat from chameleon also known as floating feat is only available to the chameleon PRC which by raw requires human,doppleganger or(if using ebberon campaign setting ) changeling race.

Alternatively wand bonding requires being warforged.

Your build would only be possible if you started out human rogue or artificer. Specialized in the required skills for chameleon until level 6, went far enough in for bonus feat and then took levels in that PrC that turns you into a warforged. So
6 artificer (gimped from Skill requirements focus)
4 chameleon
10 levels of renegade mastermaker.

Would have to get wand bonding at level 20

You could try Master maker before chameleon but you still wouldn't get wand bonding until ECL 16 minimum.