PDA

View Full Version : Best power builds

Shoyliguad
2007-06-30, 04:19 PM
Its real simple: Make the biggest baddest power build you can think of. It should be a gestalt build, ECL 15. Any 3.5 material which is published is allowed. And please lets keep magic builds to a minimum. A cool build which is out of the box is ok, but no completly broken classes like planar sheperd and initiate of the seven fold please.

Douglas
2007-06-30, 04:28 PM
Gestalt ECL 15, that sounds familiar... Should we restrict ourselves to (our choice of) three non-core sources and should I be expecting this to turn up in Wilbur's new arena at rpol.net (advertised twice in the last few days in the recruiting forum here)?

greenknight
2007-06-30, 04:31 PM
Unless you also exclude broken rules, you're still going to get broken characters like Pun-Pun (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=491801). Even without going to that extreme, there's still the issue of what is "broken" and what isn't. For example, some people think things like a Spiked Chain and Shock Trooper are perfectly ok, while others claim those two things are hideously broken.

PlatinumJester
2007-06-30, 04:36 PM
Dwarven Barbarian 15

HP - 180

Str 18
Dex 12
Con 18
Wis 11
Int 10
Cha 6

Feats - Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)
Weapon Focus (Fullblade)
Power Attack
Cleave
Improved Initiative
Improved Critical (Fullblade)

Skills - Climb, Jump, Swim, Ride (all 19)

Plus loads of decent items such as Mithral Fullplate +2 or Vorpal Fullblade.

Tor the Fallen
2007-06-30, 05:06 PM
Artificer 15//wizard15

Items: Wands of Ennervation.
Feats:
Quicken
Split Ray
Twin Spell
Empower Spell
Maximize Spell

If you hit, and overcome spell resistance, you're going to drain 40 negative levels, no save.

TK-Squared
2007-06-30, 05:08 PM
Be a Warlock.
Put all your skill points in UMD.
Take Skill Focus (UMD).
Take Magical Aptitude.
Buy a 10k item for +10 UMD checks.
Buy alot of scrolls.

Kizara
2007-06-30, 05:47 PM
Artificer 15//wizard15

Items: Wands of Ennervation.
Feats:
Quicken
Split Ray
Twin Spell
Empower Spell
Maximize Spell

If you hit, and overcome spell resistance, you're going to drain 40 negative levels, no save.

Unless I'm a complete idiot, wands can't benefit from Metamagic feats (I think staves can) and all those feats modifer spell level? Some by alot? Quicken + max = 7 all by itself, too much for enervation.

Jack Mann
2007-06-30, 05:58 PM
Artificers get a lot of tricks with wands and metamagic. There's a reason they're considered overpowered.

Tor the Fallen
2007-06-30, 06:03 PM
Unless I'm a complete idiot, wands can't benefit from Metamagic feats (I think staves can) and all those feats modifer spell level? Some by alot? Quicken + max = 7 all by itself, too much for enervation.

Artificers can use extra charges on wands to fuel the metamagic. It's ludicrous.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-06-30, 06:31 PM
Dwarven Barbarian 15

HP - 180

Str 18
Dex 12
Con 18
Wis 11
Int 10
Cha 6

Feats - Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)
Weapon Focus (Fullblade)
Power Attack
Cleave
Improved Initiative
Improved Critical (Fullblade)

Skills - Climb, Jump, Swim, Ride (all 19)

Plus loads of decent items such as Mithral Fullplate +2 or Vorpal Fullblade.

1) Not gestalt
2) Other than Power Attack and Imp. Initiative... no. Those feats aren't good choices at all. I'd take Extra Rage over EWP (Fullblade) and Imp. Critical.
3) Barbarians get Listen, which should be maxed out instead of Swim in almost every campaign.
4) Vorpal isn't an efficient weapon enchantment.
5) Tome of Battle beats normal melee hands down.

You don't want magic? I'm not going to go into specifics yet, but you could try a Warblade//Swordsage or a Crusader//Swordsage. If some magic is fine, then Cleric//Crusader, Druid//Swordsage, Cleric//Swordsage, or Psion//Warblade are both very effective.

Emperor Tippy
2007-06-30, 06:40 PM
Vorpral is an excellent weapon enchantment if you have access to Complete Champion and are a 9+ level cleric. There is a spell that makes your next attack count as a 20.

So with Moment of Prescience and that up you can 1 hit any creature that needs a head to live. MoP is to confirm the critical.

Otherwise I have to agree, vorpral isn't worth it.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-06-30, 06:44 PM
Vorpral is an excellent weapon enchantment if you have access to Complete Champion and are a 9+ level cleric. There is a spell that makes your next attack count as a 20.

So with Moment of Prescience and that up you can 1 hit any creature that needs a head to live. MoP is to confirm the critical.

Otherwise I have to agree, vorpral isn't worth it.

...I think I may need to borrow a friend's CC and write down that spell for my Favored Soul, then. Stupid material I haven't accessed yet proving me wrong (well, in one instance, at least)... :smallamused:

calebcom
2007-07-01, 04:51 PM
Orog(forgotten realms races book) werebear/fighter/barbarian.

Take the orcish charge feat from the FRraces for x2 damage on charge.

If you set all point at point buy into str till you get 18 then + 6 orog + 16 werebear that's 40. + 3 from levels 43

Monkey grip a huge catagory falchion. Take the Hornbeam enchantment from FRraces and change it to apply to orogs instead of halflings to push the size up to gargantuan.

so you're at 2d8+24 from raw unenchanted weapon damage alone.
on a charge, 4d8 +48
enchant weapon to +1 fiery burst for 4d8+2d6+48 15-20 crit.
crit would be 6d8+2d6+2d10+72

in the first round, down a true strike potion. Power attack for 15.

6d8 weapon damage+2d6 fiery+2d10 fiery burst+72 strength +2 weapon enchantment +30 power attack.

average damage
6d8 max= 48 so average of 24.
2d6average = 6
2d10=10

102+10+6+24+2= 144 damage on charge.

Remember we're doubling all damage on a charge.
add in rhino hide armor for another 2d6 ( oldschool was better with an extra x2)
so now we're at 150 damage on a charge. your attack is as a +37
16 from str 1 from magic weapon 20 from true strike.

on a 15 or higher you'll hit a AC 52 and smash him for an average of 150 damage.

Plus rage from barbarian levels.

make sure to pick up imp initiative. This entire build depends on first strike and higher than average roll, but even on a non crit you'll do over 100 damage.

Plus reach.

Kyace
2007-07-01, 05:15 PM
in the first round, down a true strike potion. Power attack for 15.

I wasn't aware that true strike could be made into a potion. Is there some rule I'm missing?

Jack_Simth
2007-07-01, 05:54 PM
I wasn't aware that true strike could be made into a potion. Is there some rule I'm missing?

You're not, no:

Spells with a range of personal cannot be made into potions.

NEO|Phyte
2007-07-01, 05:57 PM
depending on how your DM does LA for gestalt...

Thri-Kreen (LA +2, 2 racial HD (for the psionic version, anyway, dunno about the nonpsionic one))/anything 1/Bloodstorm Blade (at least 4)/Bloodclaw Master (at least 2)/more anything//Warblade 15

Stats: Enough Dex to eventually qualify for Greater Multiweapon Fighting (or Perfect Multiweapon Fighting if you know the game is going Epic), Decent Strength and Con, as much Int as you can manage.

Feats: Take the Multiweapon Fighting feats as soon as you qualify (levels 1, 9, and 15), be sure to grab Point-Blank Shot before level 6. Far Shot is a good idea as well. I'm going for Weapon Supremacy personally, but you can take whatever feats float your boat. Improved Crit (kukri) will save you money on weapons.

Manouvers: Tiger Claw and Iron Heart need at least a splash, you'll need a strike and stance from Iron Heart by level 6 for Bloodstorm Blade, then 3 Tiger Claw manouvers for Bloodclaw Master. Blood in the Water stance a MUST. Pouncing Charge is handy, Sudden Leap is a godsend to a 'kreen, 30+ feet movement as a swift action, at level 1. Iron Heart Surge/Endurance recommended, they can't fix everything wrong with you, but they can keep you going, for the most part.

Equipment: 4 kukris enchanted to taste (keen suggested if you don't take Improved Crit), nonheavy armor of choice, other equipment as needed.

Skills: Max jump, at least 8 ranks in Balance, go wild with the rest.

Capping the rest of Bloodclaw Master with the loose levels gets you (not in order) Scent, Low-light Vision, 2 additional uses of Shifting (+2 Str for Con+class level rounds, also gain claw attacks, but a thri-kreen already has those) per day, a Pounce-ish ability (one attack with each weapon as a standard action/charge, expends a Tiger Claw Strike), +1 to attack with Tiger Claw strikes, and 2d6 Rend if you expend a Tiger Claw Boost. This also leaves a free level to throw elsewhere.

Throwing the loose levels into Bloodstorm Blade gets you (not in order) a fighter feat, Blood Wind Ricochet (:edit: SEMIuseless to a T/MWF build), Eye of the storm (forgo IH stance benefit, +4 AC vs ranged attacks, +2 to reflex, swift action to take a free attack on someone that takes an AoO on you for making a ranged attack while threatened, can't move more than 10' a round to retain benefit), and Blood Rain (forgo IH stance benefit, everyone you've hit while using Blood Rain takes 3 damage at the start of your turn from blood loss), and also puts you 2 levels away from Blade Storm (full-round action, 1 free attack on every target you want within range of your location, expends IH strike)

Congratulations, you are a whirling frenzy of steel and death. You do not take a -2 to attack for multiweapon fighting, and your offhand attacks have full Strength to damage. You are so awesome at throwing weapons that as an (Ex) ability, they return to your hand fast enough to full-attack with, meaning anything you have LoS/LoE to within 50' (100' if you grabbed Far Shot) is eligible for your full attack, which should look something like this without STR and such included:
+15/+15/+15/+15/+10/+10/+10/+10/+5/+5/+5/+5
With Blood in the Water, the longer a fight lasts, the better you get at fighting. With enough landed crits without a minute in between them, you can 1-shot ANYTHING. (Neutronium Golem, I'm lookin' at you!) It is important to note that Blood in the Water can still be triggered against foes immune to critical hits according to CustServ.

If the race is an issue, the build can also work for a 2-armed race, but it obviously gets less attacks that way.

Bassetking
2007-07-01, 06:14 PM
Ok, It has to be Gestalt 15?

Lion Totem Barbarian 1, Crusader 14//Cleric 15

Take the feat "Imbued Healing: Luck" from "Complete Champion". This allows you cast a healing spell upon yourself, and, for a number of minutes equal to the healing spell's spell level, treat all rolled damage "1"'s as "2"'s.

Pick up the Crusader Stance "Aura of Chaos". This allows you to, while in this stance, should you maximize your rolled damage, to re-roll your damage dice, and add the new roll. This continues until you stop rolling your maximum damage.

Use a 1d2 weapon. You cannot use ANYTHING other than a 1d2 weapon. My personal recommendation is a Fine Greataxe, just for laughs, but It must be a 1d2 weapon.

Begin Combat: Drop beefiest Healing spell you can cast, Shift into Aura of Chaos.

If you hit, your damage will be 1d2. With Aura of Chaos, you will deal either 1 or 2. If it is a 2, re-roll and add. If it is a 1, treat it as a 2, re-roll, and add.

If your re-roll is a 2, add it, and re-roll again. If it is a 1, treat it as a 2, add it, and re-roll again.

Congrats, you're now dealing infinite damage on every hit.

The reason for "Lion Totem Barbarian"? Pounce, pure and simple. You combine the ability to make a full-attack action at the end of a charge with the Cleric spell "Righteous Wrath of the Faithful" which grants the caster an additional attack, every round, at their full BAB, and you're even more likely to hit.

"Hit" is the big one, here. If you've got the cash, blow it on a use-activated item of "True Strike".

You kill them, if you hit them. The trick becomes making certain you hit them.

Emperor Tippy
2007-07-01, 06:19 PM
Very nice Bassetking. I think that deserves a reward of 1 internet.

calebcom
2007-07-01, 06:27 PM
You're not, no:

ack, looks like I was wrong there. *shrug* mix in 1 level of wizard or sorcerer, or create an item that allows it to be cast a few times a day. not too difficult. *shrug*

Overlord
2007-07-01, 09:47 PM
Impressive. Most impressive.

Kudos, Bassetking.

But I must point something out: unless I'm mistaken, a fine greataxe does 1d4damage.

You should use a fine Spiked Chain! That still gives you reach, right? On a side note, can you use a weapon more than two size categories smaller than you? If you can't, you may as well go with the tiny Light Hammer. It does have a 20ft range increment. :P

0oo0
2007-07-01, 09:56 PM
Artificers can use extra charges on wands to fuel the metamagic. It's ludicrous.

What book are they from?

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-07-01, 10:06 PM
NEO|Phyte: I look forward to seeing that at level 20. That's just brutal... I don't think anyone will ever get Ferah angry at that point in time. Certainly not any elves, if you catch my drift.

Bassetking: Very nice trick there. Very nice.

0oo0: Eberron Campaign Setting.

Dhavaer
2007-07-01, 10:31 PM
Very nice Bassetking. I think that deserves a reward of 1 internet.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e100/Dhavaer/1165728473854.jpg

Emperor Tippy
2007-07-01, 10:38 PM
I need to save a copy of that pick. Thanks Dhavaer.

Seffbasilisk
2007-07-01, 11:06 PM
VERY Nice Bassetking. Take the feat Improved Unarmed Strike, and be size small for the 1d2 weapon you can't lose. Or if medium, hurl shurikens, etc....

Additionally, take the feat: Luck Devotion [Domain], activated as a swift action for 1/min a day to create the same effect. Mix that with the improved Unarmed Strike and the stance and you can do it without any spells for a period. Good for jailbreaks.

Edit2: Additionally, Aura of Chaos is a 6th level stance. So Crusader 14 isn't needed, can go Sorc1 as well to provide the true-strikes needed.

Bassetking
2007-07-01, 11:22 PM
The thing about Shurikens is that they rely on a ranged attack, whereas the wording of Aura of Chaos is specific to melee. Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with stabbing someone with a shuriken ...

NEO|Phyte
2007-07-01, 11:34 PM
Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with stabbing someone with a shuriken ...

Aside from the part where the rules say you can't use them as a melee weapon, anyway. :smallwink:

Tor the Fallen
2007-07-02, 12:22 AM
Simply beautiful Bassetking.

Renegade Paladin
2007-07-02, 12:37 AM
Being the DM. Best power build ever. Rocks fall, munchkins die. :smallamused:

SpiderBrigade
2007-07-02, 12:43 AM
Yeah, that combo is really something else Bassetking. I feel like Ian Holm in that one part in Alien where he's all bubbly-voiced and talking about "perfect...organism."

People have been trying to pull off something similar with the Aura of Chaos for a while, but using the "1 damage" weapons like darts or whatever, and hoping that some generous DM would count that as "rolling" max damage. Which is really way too much of a stretch, especially for an infinite combo. The ability you use makes it basically airtight, ruleswise.

Plus, in addition to the ability to one-shot-kill any creature vulnerable to melee damage, it's not like a crusader/cleric gestalt is going to be lacking for ways to kick butt.

0oo0
2007-07-02, 02:05 AM
0oo0: Eberron Campaign Setting.

Thanks! I will check it out, it sounds interesting, if a bit crazy

Armads
2007-07-02, 06:22 AM
Duskblade 14/Lion totem barbarian 1//Archivist 12/Wizard 3

Feats: Practiced Spellcaster (archivist)
Swift Action: Cast Wraithstrike
Full Round Action: Charge and Channel Harm.
Thats 4 attacks with a weapon of speed, each dealing +150 damage.
If the enemy succeeds on ALL it's saves, that's +300 damage at least. Your base weapon damage kills the guy in the end.

Oh, and Bassetking, nice build!

Indon
2007-07-02, 08:46 AM
Personally, I'm a fan of the Scout/Rogue//Monk/Ninja with the feats that let Rogue levels stack for Skirmish and Ninja levels stack for Monk unarmed damage (I forget the names of both). Then, you can do Skirmish/Sudden Strike/Sneak Attack damage, and on top of it all still hit decently with your fists.

For added fun, get a pounce ability somehow and open combats with a full attack super-ambush-pounce!