PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sacred Oath: Oath of the Keeper (Temporal Knight)

Firalas
2016-06-24, 06:56 PM
I was up late last night thinking about a concept for the Paladin that involves the manipulation of time and devotion to gods such as Amaunator, Eon and Labelas Enoreth.
I noticed there were a couple of wizard spells that were flavorful and I put together a number of features and I'd love to hear feedback especially regarding balancing the class and whether you can see any initial flaws in the potential OPness of it's features. Initially Space-Time Obstruction may seem overpowered but I've add a couple of drawbacks to the ability that will hopefully keep it in check (especially running the risk of it ceasing to work altogether).

I imagined the Keepers as warriors of balance, tipping the scales of time in favor of neutrality and fighting those who would create chaos. I will add the fluff later, but before I dig into it I would love to hear your thoughts!

Oath of the Keeper

Oath Spells
3rd - Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall
5th - Hold Person, Blur
9th - Slow, Haste
13th - Divination, Dimension Door
17th - Hold Monster, Telekinesis

Channel Divinity: Future Sense
Starting at 3rd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to assume a state of being where your patron deity grants you discrete glimpses of the future. For 1 minute, whilst in this state any creature you can see emits a temporal form that acts a split second before the physical creature acts. For the duration of Future Sense you gain advantage on all dexterity saving throws against effects that you can see. In addition, any creature making a weapon attack against you has disadvantage as long as you can see the creature.
Due to the rush of new information granted by Future Sense it requires a great deal of concentration to comprehend and act appropriately. Future Sense ends if your concentration is broken (as per the rules of concentration spells).
If an enemy has the ability to comprehend the future (like that granted by Future Sense), the effects of this Channel Divinity is nullified against that creature.

Channel Divinity: Reversal
Starting at 3rd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to act and then magically reverse time and try again. In the event you fail a skill check, attack roll or saving throw, you may chose to reverse time ever so slightly and try again with the knowledge of what went wrong previously. As a bonus action or reaction immediately after the failed action or save, you can reverse time to try the action or save again with advantage.

Aura of Shifting
Beginning at 7th level, your connection with the temporal realm has become so potent that the essence of time becomes distorted around you. You emit a 10 feet aura in which time is slowed. While moving through your aura, for each foot of movement, enemy creatures require 1 extra foot (2 if difficult terrain). In addition, enemy creatures within your aura take a minus 1 penalty to AC.
At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.
Additionally, you suffer none of the drawbacks of old age, and you can’t be aged magically.

Temporal Divination
Starting at 15th level, you can choose to spend 10 minutes attuning with an object or location to gain insight into it’s past or future. Once attuned with an item you can choose to learn something of its past, or alternatively of its future. If you choose the past, you experience a vision of the last significant event within the location or to the object (DM’s discretion). The event could be as early as the creation of time itself, however the further in the past the hazier the vision becomes.
If you choose the future, you experience a significant event the could happen within the location, or to the object, in it’s future (the threads of time are never truly certain, there are thousands of potential futures, and you may merely glimpse one, or perhaps a few of those threads). The vision may reveal a hidden assailant within a room, a glimpse of you or an ally using an item revealing it’s true nature, or show someone following you entering the location (DM’s discretion).
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Space-Time Obstruction
At 20th level, as an action, you can halt time completely. You briefly stop the flow of time for everyone but yourself. No time passes for other creatures, while you take 1d4-1 (if the total is 0, Space-Time Obstruction fails and you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest) turns in a row, during which you can use actions and move as normal. For the duration, you have advantage on all weapon attacks, however, due to the swell of gravity within your obstruction all creatures and objects gain plus 2 to their AC and cannot be moved as their physical selves cease to move along the threads of time.
Space-time requires your concentration to manipulate and the effect ends if your concentration is broken (as per the rules of concentration spells). In addition, the effect ends if you move to a place more than 1,000 feet from the location where you cast it.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

*Future Sense is shamelessly based on Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series...