PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Martial Archetype: Soulblade

Firalas
2016-06-24, 09:11 PM
I always found it depressing how much slack Two-Weapon Fighting received... I love the flavor of two weapon fighting and I thought I'd try and make a class that takes advantage of that.
I have designed the Soulblade as a martial archetype for the fighter. It is intended to require a balance of Strength, Dexterity and Constitution to master, and I wanted to take advantage of the Fighter's huge well of ASI's. I have designed the soulblade so that Constitution is a representation of the warriors soul, and hopefully allowed enough versatility to make the class interesting to play.

This class runs the risk of being exploited, but I wanted to know your thoughts and whether you noticed any initial issues.
I haven't added any fluff yet, I wanted to see if the class was viable beforehand.

Soulblade

Soulbond
At 3rd level, you learn a ritual that creates a magical bond between yourself and up to two weapons. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. The weapons must be within your reach throughout the ritual, at the conclusion of which you touch each weapon and forge the bond siphoning a portion of your soul into the weapon.
Once you have bonded a weapon to yourself, as long as the weapon is no more that 90 feet away and in your line of sight you can summon that weapon as a bonus action on your turn, causing it to fly through the air in a straight line towards a free hand.
You can have up to two bonded weapons, and can summon both simultaneously with your bonus action. If you attempt to bond with a third weapon, you must break the bond with one of the other two.
If a creature other than yourself attempts to wield a Soulbound weapon without your permission, the creature instantly takes 2d4 necrotic damage and drops the weapon as your soul rebukes their touch.
If your weapon is destroyed whilst Soulbound, a piece of your soul goes with it. For the next 24 hours your constitution score is reduced by 2 and your maximum hitpoints is reduced by an amount equal to your level.

Stance
Starting at 3rd level, your mastery over your spiritual and physical self allows you to assume a unique Soulblade stance, provided that you aren't wearing heavy armor or using a shield.
You can use a bonus action to assume a stance, which lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you don heavy armor, or if cease to wield a Soulbound weapon in each hand.
You can also end your stance at any time you choose (no action required). Only one stance can be active at any given time. Choose one of the following three stances, each focusing on a different element of battle;

Tandem
Whilst in this stance your body, soul and weapons work as a trifecta, granting you inhuman strength and grace. Through coordination and skill, when you make a melee weapon attack you now use both weapons allowing you to add your half your Dexterity modifier rounded down (minimum of +1) to the damage roll in addition to Strength (or vice versa if using a finesse weapon).

Rebuke
Whilst in the Rebuke stance, you learn to use each weapon to the best of it’s ability. When a melee attack is made against you, as a reaction, you can use your off-hand weapon to parry the attack granting you your Dexterity modifier to your AC for that attack, and then make a swift riposte with your primary weapon allowing you an attack of opportunity.

Extend
Extending allows you to channel your soul even further into your weapons. Each weapon begins to float magically around you. As a move action you can move both weapons up to 30 feet (no further than 90 feet away from you), and use them to make your attack action. The damage modifier for the roll is your constitution modifier.
Entering this stance requires concentration (as per the rules of concentration spells), you cannot move whilst in this stance. If your weapons are attacked during this stance, you take no damage, however you must make a Constitution saving throw as if the attack was made against you (as per the rules of concentration spells).
If you are in the ethereal realm whilst Extending an ethereal version of yourself can be seen wielding each weapon.

You can use this feature twice, you gain a third use at 7th level and a fourth at 15th. You regain all expended uses of it when you finish a short or long rest.

Rapid Strike
Beginning at 7th level, your mastery over two-weapon fighting has reached a new level. You can attack twice, instead of once, when you use your bonus action to make an offhand melee weapon attack.

Soul Enhancement
At 10th level, your command over your soul has allowed you to bolster your abilities. You gain additional movement speed equal to 5 times your constitution modifier.

Improved Stance
Starting at 15th level, your understanding of each stance has improved the fluidity between your soul and weapon. Each of your stances now grants an additional effect.

Tandem
You can push your body to new limits. You have advantage on Acrobatics (Dexterity) and Athletics (Strength) checks.

Rebuke
You defensive abilities have increased, your soul and weapons now work even harder granting you additional protection. You can add half your Strength modifier rounded down to your AC.

Extend
Your control over your extended self has reached new heights. You have advantage on Constitution saving throws.

Exhaustive Fury
At 18th level, you’ve learnt to push your soul beyond it’s capabilities. You can make any attack a critical strike, however you gain one level of exhaustion in doing so.

As always Brandon Sanderson, and Robert Jordan has been a massive influence in the creation of this archetype.

I also did a bit of math just to see how it'd compare and at level 20 with the Two Weapon feat in a burst round this class would deal:
14d8 + 180 so a max of 292 damage with +2 to attack rolls and +1 AC (however you can't wear heavy armor).

Whereas a Champion with GWM would be around:
24d6 + 60 + 120 so a max of 324 with the minus 5 to attack rolls, but would also get to reroll 1 and 2.

I know this isn't sound math, but just as a comparison

JNAProductions
2016-06-24, 10:28 PM
I always found it depressing how much slack Two-Weapon Fighting received... I love the flavor of two weapon fighting and I thought I'd try and make a class that takes advantage of that.
I have designed the Soulblade as a martial archetype for the fighter. It is intended to require a balance of Strength, Dexterity and Constitution to master, and I wanted to take advantage of the Fighter's huge well of ASI's. I have designed the soulblade so that Constitution is a representation of the warriors soul, and hopefully allowed enough versatility to make the class interesting to play.

This class runs the risk of being exploited, but I wanted to know your thoughts and whether you noticed any initial issues.
I haven't added any fluff yet, I wanted to see if the class was viable beforehand.

Soulblade

Soulbond
At 3rd level, you learn a ritual that creates a magical bond between yourself and up to two weapons. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. The weapons must be within your reach throughout the ritual, at the conclusion of which you touch each weapon and forge the bond siphoning a portion of your soul into the weapon.
Once you have bonded a weapon to yourself, as long as the weapon is no more that 90 feet away and in your line of sight you can summon that weapon as a bonus action on your turn, causing it to fly through the air in a straight line towards a free hand.
You can have up to two bonded weapons, and can summon both simultaneously with your bonus action. If you attempt to bond with a third weapon, you must break the bond with one of the other two.
If a creature other than yourself attempts to wield a Soulbound weapon without your permission, the creature instantly takes 2d4 necrotic damage and drops the weapon as your soul rebukes their touch.
If your weapon is destroyed whilst Soulbound, a piece of your soul goes with it. For the next 24 hours your constitution score is reduced by 2 and your maximum hitpoints is reduced by an amount equal to your level.

Stance
Starting at 3rd level, your mastery over your spiritual and physical self allows you to assume a unique Soulblade stance, provided that you aren't wearing heavy armor or using a shield.
You can use a bonus action to assume a stance, which lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you don heavy armor, or if cease to wield a Soulbound weapon in each hand.
You can also end your stance at any time you choose (no action required). Only one stance can be active at any given time. Choose one of the following three stances, each focusing on a different element of battle;

Tandem
Whilst in this stance your body, soul and weapons work as a trifecta, granting you inhuman strength and grace. Through coordination and skill, when you make a melee weapon attack you now use both weapons allowing you to add your Dexterity modifier to the damage roll in addition to Strength (or vice versa if using a finesse weapon).

Rebuke
Whilst in the Rebuke stance, you learn to use each weapon to the best of it’s ability. When a melee attack is made against you, as a reaction, you can use your off-hand weapon to parry the attack granting you your Dexterity modifier to your AC for that attack, and then make a swift riposte with your primary weapon allowing you an attack of opportunity.

Extend
Extending allows you to channel your soul even further into your weapons. Each weapon begins to float magically around you. As a move action you can move both weapons up to 30 feet (no further than 90 feet away from you), and use them to make your attack action. The damage modifier for the roll is your constitution modifier.
Entering this stance requires concentration (as per the rules of concentration spells), you cannot move whilst in this stance. If your weapons are attacked during this stance, you take no damage, however you must make a Constitution saving throw as if the attack was made against you (as per the rules of concentration spells).
If you are in the ethereal realm whilst Extending an ethereal version of yourself can be seen wielding each weapon.

You can use this feature twice, you gain a third use at 7th level and a fourth at 15th. You regain all expended uses of it when you finish a short or long rest.

Rapid Strike
Beginning at 7th level, your mastery over two-weapon fighting has reached a new level. You can attack twice, instead of once, when you use your bonus action to make an offhand melee weapon attack.

Soul Enhancement
At 10th level, your command over your soul has allowed you to bolster your abilities. You gain additional movement speed equal to 5 times your constitution modifier.

Improved Stance
Starting at 15th level, your understanding of each stance has improved the fluidity between your soul and weapon. Each of your stances now grants an additional effect.

Tandem
You can push your body to new limits. Your weapons become a blur of steel, you can add plus 2 to your attack rolls when attacking with a Soulbound weapon.

Rebuke
You defensive abilities have increased, you soul and weapons now work together granting you additional protection. You can add half your Strength modifier rounded down to your AC.

Extend
Your control over your extended self has reached new heights. You have advantage on Constitution saving throws.

Exhaustive Fury
At 18th level, you’ve learnt to push your soul beyond it’s capabilities. You can make any attack a critical strike, however you gain one level of exhaustion in doing so.

As always Brandon Sanderson, and Robert Jordan has been a massive influence in the creation of this archetype.

I also did a bit of math just to see how it'd compare and at level 20 with the Two Weapon feat in a burst round this class would deal:
14d8 + 180 so a max of 292 damage with +2 to attack rolls and +1 AC.

Whereas a Champion with GWM would be around:
24d6 + 60 + 120 so a max of 324 with the minus 5 to attack rolls, but would also get to reroll 1 and 2.

I know this isn't sound math, but just as a comparison

I'm not even going to look at the class, because you already did some math. let's assume AC 19-that's what you'll usually see around level 20.

Your average damage is (+13 to hit, so hitting on a 6, 75% chance to hit, 14d8+180=243) .75*243=182.25 damage.

The GWM is dealing (+6 to hit, so hitting on a 13, , so 40% chance to hit, 24d6 (Rerolling 1s and 2s) +180=280) .4*280=112 damage.

Notice an issue?

Edit: Oh, you have a Higher AC too.

Firalas
2016-06-25, 12:37 AM
I'm not even going to look at the class, because you already did some math. let's assume AC 19-that's what you'll usually see around level 20.

Your average damage is (+13 to hit, so hitting on a 6, 75% chance to hit, 14d8+180=243) .75*243=182.25 damage.

The GWM is dealing (+6 to hit, so hitting on a 13, , so 40% chance to hit, 24d6 (Rerolling 1s and 2s) +180=280) .4*280=112 damage.

Notice an issue?

Edit: Oh, you have a Higher AC too.

Solid. Thank you, that's the sort of information I was looking for. And now with this I can figure out the maths by myself rather than being lazy... So straight away some adjustments need to be made, firstly I'll probably scrap the additional +2 to attack so that should bring us down to an average of around 158

Now if we also calculate another fighter adding battle maneuvers which I previously forgot so... say the battle master with GWM, GWF and using precision strike for eases sake

So first calculation with precision strike

Hit is (+6 +6.5 (from precision strike) so hit on 6.5, so 72.5% for 12d6 + 30 + 60 (6 superiority dice)) = .725 x 140 = 102

Without precision hit is (+6 so hit on 13, 40% for 12d6 + 30 + 60) = .4 x 140 = 56

For a total of 158
Plus you'd hope to potentially kill an enemy so you'd get an additional 2d6 + 15 etc...

IT'S EVEN! YAY

Have I missed anything?

However this is burst damage

In a standard round it'd be

Soulblade:
+11 to hit , 65% and 6d8 + 60 = 65.25

Battlemaster
+6 to hit , 40% and 8d6 + 60 = 37.5

So more to figure out...

*Edit: I adjust the additional damage to +7 rather than +10 per hit

So...

Soulblade:
Standard Round
+11, 65% and 6d8 + 42 = 44.8

Burst Round
+11, 65% and 14d6 + 98 = 104.65

I think that's solid

Note: All dice rolls use averages (1d8 = 4.5, 1d6 = 4.2 (with rerolls))

Markoff Chainey
2016-06-28, 03:21 AM
Without going into the details, I got stuck on a few general things:

- a soulblade is traditionally a warrior/rogue class with psionic abilities and the core ability to create a mental blade out of thin air... If you astray from that, you should give it another name

- I much dislike how you link a class to a specific fighting style. If you dislike how 2-weapon-fighting is done in 5e, make a houserule, but do not make a class that "fixes" it for you. A class may have clear advantage for melee or ranged, but there should be some player choice for fighting styles. And if you fix 2-weapon-fighting by making a class that shines with it, you basically doom it for all eternity for all other classes.

- JNA gave you the math for the strongest dpr class... IMO you should not look at that for your comparison, but at a standard Two-Weapon-Fighter and not compare it at lvl 20, but make a comparison from lvl 1 to lvl 20, that is the only way to make a balanced class that is satisfying to play and play with throughout the game.

- Without looking into the details too closely, they appear to be quite OP and too much compared to what other fighter subclasses get.

Firalas
2016-06-28, 05:16 AM
Without going into the details, I got stuck on a few general things:

- a soulblade is traditionally a warrior/rogue class with psionic abilities and the core ability to create a mental blade out of thin air... If you astray from that, you should give it another name

- I much dislike how you link a class to a specific fighting style. If you dislike how 2-weapon-fighting is done in 5e, make a houserule, but do not make a class that "fixes" it for you. A class may have clear advantage for melee or ranged, but there should be some player choice for fighting styles. And if you fix 2-weapon-fighting by making a class that shines with it, you basically doom it for all eternity for all other classes.

- JNA gave you the math for the strongest dpr class... IMO you should not look at that for your comparison, but at a standard Two-Weapon-Fighter and not compare it at lvl 20, but make a comparison from lvl 1 to lvl 20, that is the only way to make a balanced class that is satisfying to play and play with throughout the game.

- Without looking into the details too closely, they appear to be quite OP and too much compared to what other fighter subclasses get.

Some awesome points. I suppose that is the danger as a newbie homebrewer to create classes that are overpowered, I guess that's what I was afraid of haha. Thank you for the input, I guess if I wanted to make it work better it would be better to create a whole class... and maybe have an archetype specializing in each stance?

I didn't actually base the Soulblade on anything in particular, out of interest where have you seen one before? I just thought it was a cool concept haha.

Anyway, things to think about. And plenty of stuff I can apply to my next homebrew. I'm working on creating a Surgebinder from The Stormlight Archive, I'll keep everything you've said in mind. Thanks!