PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Is it ever a good idea to let your players see the Story of the Enemies?

killem2
2016-06-25, 12:38 PM
I'm DMing way of the wicked. Book 2 is rolling hard and they are at week 8. In the AP there is many things that are discussed between the characters the player's must face.

Has anyone GM or Player ever thought about what it would be like to see those stories unfold? Have players roleplay certain characters? Or just watch? It seems like a wasted opportunity.

Daishain
2016-06-25, 12:47 PM
Depends on the campaign. If your players are reasonably decent about separating IC from OOC knowledge, then so long as specific details aren't mentioned, I say go for it.

If however they metagame like nuts, and/or a significant factor in the campaign is the PCs not having a clue whats going on, then just don't

Nibbens
2016-06-25, 10:14 PM
I'm not familiar with WotW, but I think that letting them see the story is a good thing. Particularly dungeons - Dungeons (almost always) were there before the current inhabitants invaded or took over. In a sense, you have two stories resting right on top of each other, 1) the story of what happened to the previous inhabitants, and 2) why/what have the current inhabitants done with the place.

This could be used to great effect in gameplay, by giving in game hints about #1 and showing what happened to #1 by using the #2, thus making players hate the enemies or even feel empathy with them (depending on how you want to twist their little heartstrings around).

Now, if you're talking about just showing them the book and saying "hey, look at the 3 paragraphs of story about the mook you just wiped the floor with because he charged at you when you entered the room. Wasn't it actually funny/sad/whatever?" well... I'm torn. Because I like to do that sometimes with players because as you said - it's wasted opportunities. Good writing they will never get to see. Now, I never do it when it could matter, but rather after the dungeon/segment is over. lol

killem2
2016-06-25, 10:16 PM
I'm not familiar with WotW, but I think that letting them see the story is a good thing. Particularly dungeons - Dungeons (almost always) were there before the current inhabitants invaded or took over. In a sense, you have two stories resting right on top of each other, 1) the story of what happened to the previous inhabitants, and 2) why/what have the current inhabitants done with the place.

This could be used to great effect in gameplay, by giving in game hints about #1 and showing what happened to #1 by using the #2, thus making players hate the enemies or even feel empathy with them (depending on how you want to twist their little heartstrings around).

Now, if you're talking about just showing them the book and saying "hey, look at the 3 paragraphs of story about the mook you just wiped the floor with because he charged at you when you entered the room. Wasn't it actually funny/sad/whatever?" well... I'm torn. Because I like to do that sometimes with players because as you said - it's wasted opportunities. Good writing they will never get to see. Now, I never do it when it could matter, but rather after the dungeon/segment is over. lol

That's the thing, they are actually the dungeon owners and the good guys are coming into their home. In this book they basically have 222 days of prayers 3x a day to unleash a very nasty entity.

Nibbens
2016-06-26, 09:02 AM
That's the thing, they are actually the dungeon owners and the good guys are coming into their home. In this book they basically have 222 days of prayers 3x a day to unleash a very nasty entity.

Hm, well, I don't see why you couldn't have the stories be found upon their loot when the good guys die from the PCs machinations. Something as simple as a a trinket from a particular place - A book with a dried flower used as a book mark. Knowledge Nature X gives them that the flower was from a particular region (which could or could not have significant ties to the story)

Maybe one good guys armor and or weapon is signed by a famous blacksmith who lives in a town relevant to the story. Knowledge Local or should give that away.

Maybe the weapons are significant instead: Craft arms, or armor check could be used here.

A waterskin made from a certain type of animal that was thought to be extinct that lived in a certain area, bla bla bla.

Use those pieces of information to build a story that your PCs could see if they observed just a little bit.

The point being, is that incidental items found as loot could give a lot away about the good guys.

As long as the information you give is not crucial to the story and derails the plot set forth in the AP, then why the heck not? lol.

killem2
2016-06-26, 09:52 PM
Hm, well, I don't see why you couldn't have the stories be found upon their loot when the good guys die from the PCs machinations. Something as simple as a a trinket from a particular place - A book with a dried flower used as a book mark. Knowledge Nature X gives them that the flower was from a particular region (which could or could not have significant ties to the story)

Maybe one good guys armor and or weapon is signed by a famous blacksmith who lives in a town relevant to the story. Knowledge Local or should give that away.

Maybe the weapons are significant instead: Craft arms, or armor check could be used here.

A waterskin made from a certain type of animal that was thought to be extinct that lived in a certain area, bla bla bla.

Use those pieces of information to build a story that your PCs could see if they observed just a little bit.

The point being, is that incidental items found as loot could give a lot away about the good guys.

As long as the information you give is not crucial to the story and derails the plot set forth in the AP, then why the heck not? lol.

Interesting. I think i can work with this, thanks!

Pugwampy
2016-06-27, 10:30 AM
Sometimes i start off a session with "In todays exciting adventure yadda yadda yadda..." including what a bad guy is up to .

Its can put the players into the proper frame of mind . Noone is immature enough to use it tactically . Possibly because the DM is the most immature entity at the table.