PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Best Module for A New Pathfinder DM?

Palanan
2016-06-25, 02:14 PM
So against my better judgement I may be running a Pathfinder game. I've played 3.5 for over a decade, but only switched over to Pathfinder in the past year or so, and thus far my only experience with the changes has been as a player.

But the cry has gone up: "We need a DM!" --and even though I'd really rather just play, it looks like someone needs to step up.

So, what would be a good module or AP chapter for a first-time Pathfinder DM? I need something to help get a new group going, and I'd like to start everyone on the same page, preferably with the PCs at first or second level.

One caveat: I'm aware of We Be Goblins! and I'm sure it's fun, but that's the one thing I'd rather not run. With that said, what other Pathfinder modules or AP chapters are easy for a new group and DM to play through?

Kurald Galain
2016-06-25, 03:32 PM
Well, I have good experiences with Plunder & Peril.

Or if you want a one-session adventure, there are numerous low-level PFS adventures that are good. For example, the Pallid Plague or Merchant's Wake or Night March of Kalkamedes.

Pugwampy
2016-06-25, 03:37 PM
Crypt of the Everflame module has one of the coolest dungeon crawls for lvl 1 noobies. At least I think so .

killem2
2016-06-25, 06:33 PM
Mummy's mask is as straight forward as it gets. Any DM could handle that ap.

Secret Wizard
2016-06-25, 08:18 PM
Dragon's Demand is the best.

DarkEternal
2016-06-26, 08:14 AM
Dragon's Demand is the best.

A very nice module, but I disagree that it is the best for a new type DM. There are simply too many ways you can(and probably will) kill the party on low levels and the xp gain and levelling are not made such that some of the encounters in the later stages of the adventure are not overpowering if you do not know what you are doing (not to mention it takes some thinking out of the box to know the dragon's "weakness" in combat).

Faily
2016-06-26, 05:29 PM
Jade Regent looks pretty neat, but I've only barely played it before it fell flat on its face.

Meanwhile, I've almost finished through playing Reign of Winter now, and our group has greatly enjoyed it. It was also that group's first Pathfinder campaign after switching from 3.5. It pays a lot of homage to the old European folktales and fairytales, very often with a darker twist.

People say a lot of good stuff about Rise of the Runelords and Kingmaker too, but I haven't looked at those.

killem2
2016-06-26, 09:50 PM
I only suggest Mummy's Mask because I've went through it as a player for the first book. it is about as dull and hack and slash as it gets.

it has very few surprises and has examples of all the basic stuff a DM should get used to. Puzzles, Traps, Swarms, Subtypes, chances for Diplomacy and it starts off with the team of players knowing each other somewhat so it needs very little from the DM on inputting a start point.