PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Yuan-Ti PC Race [PEACH]

DracoKnight
2016-06-25, 03:31 PM
This is the first draft of my Yuan-Ti (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rkO8YPnH) player race :smallsmile:
As always, comments, concerns and feedback are always welcome!! :smallbiggrin:

Final Hyena
2016-06-25, 03:50 PM
Serpent of Dendar.
The serpent gods have blessed you with the ability to completely transform yourself into a serpent at will.
Any serpent or just Serpent of Dendar?

If you are reduced to 0 hit points while in your fox form you remain in that form.
A fox serpent. You mad man.

This ability functions as the Druid's Wild Shape with the following exceptions:
If you cast a spell that requires a somatic component, you do not need to provide it.
Wild shape doesn't allow casting by default.

Yuan-Ti Scimitar
1d8 slashing 2 lb. Finesse
Their scimitar differs from the regular one by losing the light property, increasing damage, and losing weight. You've really gone too far this time!!!!! :smalltongue:

Wryte
2016-06-25, 04:02 PM
My first question, why +2 Con as the base racial bonus? Yuan-ti's highest ability scores in the MM are Str/Cha for Abominations and Malisons, and Cha/Int for Purebloods. Wouldn't it make more sense for Cha to be the base racial ability score increase, then increase Str or Int by subrace?

Weapons Training: Why these weapons? The MM yuan-ti use scimitars and either long or shortbows. I don't like the notion of needing to make up a new weapon type just for them, either, that's really just a renamed rapier.

Serpent of Dendar: This seems really underwhelming, and oddly, only something that benefits casters. Turning into a serpent means losing your limbs, which means losing the ability wield weapons or use most class abilities other than spellcasting, which you have made specific allowances for. And, since your hit points carry over between forms, I really can't see any benefit to turning into a snake other than to fit through small openings, unless the serpent's combat stats are just that much better than the abomination's.

Pureblood Resilience: Where are you even getting this from? Why would Purebloods, the caster subrace, get higher hit pionts than the warrior subraces?

Serpent of the Night: Again, where is this coming from? Purebloods have innate spellcasting in the MM, but none of their spells are anything like this.

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but it looks like part of your material is off the edge of the page. I can see the left edges of a couple more base traits and a stat box for a creature, presumably the abomintion's serpent form and the pureblood's summons, but nothing of what they actually say.

Maybe I'm just biased because I have my own yuan-ti PC race homebrew, but this really doesn't make much sense to me when compared to their MM entries.

Edit: Okay, I managed to get some of the data from the off-page stuff by highlighting and copy/pasting.

Fangs. You have a bite attack that deals 1d4 piercing damage. You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage.

Forked Tongue. You know the serpent of the night cantrip. Starting at 3rd level you know the animal friendship and can cast it at will, but unless you know this spell from another source, you can only cast it on snakes. Starting at 5th level you can cast the suggestion spell once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells. In addition, you can speak to snakes as if you share

Seems odd to me that their poison resistance is lumped together as a trait with their fangs when their fangs don't deal poison damage.

Serpent of Dendar

Large abberation, unaligned

Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 65 (10d10 + 10)
Speed 40 ft., swim 40 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
18 (+4) 15 (+2) 12 (+1) 6 (-2) 16 (+3) 8 (-1)

Skills Perception +5, Stealth +4
Damage Resistances Poison
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 15
Challenge CR 1/2 (100 XP)

Venom. When the Serpent of Dendar uses its bite attack, the target must succeed on a DC 11 Constitution saving throw or become poisoned.
Actions

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one crea

Why would a caster ever leave this form? Wild Shape substitutes your mental ability scores for the creature's, so reduced Int and Cha aren't any deterrent, and you've made specifications to allow casting in this form which Wild Shape normally disallows.

Also, shouldn't Serpent of the Night be conjuration, not evocation? And a summoned creature that lasts for 1 minute with a 1d10 bite attack seems way too strong to me.

DracoKnight
2016-06-25, 04:25 PM
Any serpent or just Serpent of Dendar?

Serpent of Dendar

A fox serpent. You mad man.

That's what I get for talking and typing at the same time :smalltongue: :smallannoyed:

Wild shape doesn't allow casting by default.

I know, but this shape does - or that's the intent :smalltongue: (It's meant to be primarily a fluff feature.)

EDIT: Oops. Silly DracoKnight, it's only supposed to be for racial spellcasting.

Their scimitar differs from the regular one by losing the light property, increasing damage, and losing weight. You've really gone too far this time!!!!! :smalltongue:

*scratches head in confusion*

Anyways - I'll fix all of these things :smalltongue:

DracoKnight
2016-06-25, 04:30 PM
-snip-

I will take all of that under consideration.

EDIT: And oops. Silly DracoKnight, the spellcasting exception is only supposed to be for racial spells.

Also, shouldn't Serpent of the Night be conjuration, not evocation? And a summoned creature that lasts for 1 minute with a 1d10 bite attack seems way too strong to me.

It probably should be conjuration. And if you're worried about power, it's just a refluffed eldritch blast. Which is the most powerful cantrip when it has the Warlock's Invocations backing it up - this is not eligible for those, as it's not actually eldritch blast.

Wryte
2016-06-25, 09:22 PM
Then why not just give them Eldritch Blast with the fluff that it looks like a spectral snake being hurled at the target?

The Fangs and Forked Tongue traits are still off the edge of the page.

DracoKnight
2016-06-26, 12:49 AM
Then why not just give them Eldritch Blast with the fluff that it looks like a spectral snake being hurled at the target?

Idk, I guess because I wanted to makes something slightly different - and I've tweaked the spell since then.

The Fangs and Forked Tongue traits are still off the edge of the page.

I will see what I can do to fix it :smallannoyed:

Final Hyena
2016-06-26, 02:50 AM
I know, but this shape does - or that's the intent :smalltongue: (It's meant to be primarily a fluff feature.)

EDIT: Oops. Silly DracoKnight, it's only supposed to be for racial spellcasting.
There should be a line in those exceptions saying you can cast spell from your forked tongue trait.

*scratches head in confusion*

Anyways - I'll fix all of these things :smalltongue:
If you compare the PHB scimitar to the Yuan-Ti one it loses the light property indicating an increase in size, it increases the damage from d6-d8 indicating an increase in size, and yet weighs 1lb less.
We must steal their metal smithing secrets!

DracoKnight
2016-06-26, 03:14 AM
There should be a line in those exceptions saying you can cast spell from your forked tongue trait.

I will put this in.

If you compare the PHB scimitar to the Yuan-Ti one it loses the light property indicating an increase in size, it increases the damage from d6-d8 indicating an increase in size, and yet weighs 1lb less.
We must steal their metal smithing secrets!

Ohhhh...Hmmm...so how is the vanilla Scimitar light, but the rapier isn't? :smalltongue:

Final Hyena
2016-06-26, 03:22 AM
Ohhhh...Hmmm...so how is the vanilla Scimitar light, but the rapier isn't? :smalltongue:
Balan... MAGIC!

DracoKnight
2016-06-26, 04:48 AM
Balan... MAGIC!

So, do I overcome resistances and immunities then? :smallbiggrin: :smallwink:

Final Hyena
2016-06-26, 04:51 AM
So, do I overcome resistances and immunities then? :smallbiggrin: :smallwink:
Of course not, it's magic!

DracoKnight
2016-06-26, 05:00 AM
Of course not, it's magic!