PDA

View Full Version : Monk Enchanted Unarmed

DevotedPacifist
2016-06-25, 05:47 PM
Does the RAW allow for the monk to have enchanted unarmed strikes by enchanting their fist or perhaps fist wraps and such?

bid
2016-06-25, 06:06 PM
Ki empowered strike at level 6?

DevotedPacifist
2016-06-25, 06:17 PM
Ki empowered strike at level 6?

That may make it count as magical.

But I am referring to adding enchantments onto the hands like you can with other weapons.

Professor Gnoll
2016-06-25, 06:33 PM
That may make it count as magical.

But I am referring to adding enchantments onto the hands like you can with other weapons.
It does not. Fists do not count as a weapon (per the Errata), and cannot be enchanted, though a DM may allow you to. Note that you could still get an enchanted Monk Weapon.

DevotedPacifist
2016-06-25, 07:03 PM
It does not. Fists do not count as a weapon (per the Errata), and cannot be enchanted, though a DM may allow you to. Note that you could still get an enchanted Monk Weapon.

Yay.....

Thats...disappointing...

Ghost Nappa
2016-06-25, 07:05 PM
I suppose you could get magic Pugilist's gloves, bracers, or gauntlets or something.

Giant2005
2016-06-25, 07:11 PM
Insignia of Claws are what you are looking for (They are +X weapons that add to unarmed attack and damage rolls).

Quintessence
2016-06-25, 07:46 PM
Insignia of Claws are what you are looking for (They are +X weapons that add to unarmed attack and damage rolls).

Where are those?

Giant2005
2016-06-25, 07:50 PM
Where are those?

You can find one in Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

Quintessence
2016-06-25, 08:16 PM
You can find one in Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

Thanks! I'm really happy to know these exist.

Boccobsblog
2016-06-25, 08:55 PM
Seems like enchanting unarmed a monk's hands could make for a good boon/blessing.

TheFlyingCleric
2016-06-25, 09:09 PM
A monk can use magic monk weapons to get a similar effect on their first two attacks (from the attack action). So if you have a +1 dagger, you can use that. It will use your unarmed strikes die if it is higher than the weapon die.
But they can't be used for the bonus action unarmed strikes given by Martial arts or Flurry of blows, sorry.

LordVonDerp
2016-06-26, 12:22 PM
Does the RAW allow for the monk to have enchanted unarmed strikes by enchanting their fist or perhaps fist wraps and such?

That's one option. An easier one would be to find an enchanted blade with a knuckle guard and just use that

PeterM
2016-06-26, 12:47 PM
That's one option. An easier one would be to find and enchanted blade with a knuckle guard and just use that

Easier, sure, but nowhere near as cool as having fists that have to be registered with the authorities as magic weapons. Although as a monk it's more like their entire body is a magic weapon. Depending on the exact enchantment, the dirty jokes write themselves.

I don't see any reason it shouldn't be allowed as a house rule. It does give monks and anyone else who partakes an advantage when the party loses or is otherwise unable to use their gear, but that's what they get for relying on something other than themselves.

I played a lizard-man cleric in my favorite D&D campaign who'd had his fangs coated with mithril, which was then enchanted. I loved that guy.

RickAllison
2016-06-26, 05:25 PM
Easier, sure, but nowhere near as cool as having fists that have to be registered with the authorities as magic weapons. Although as a monk it's more like their entire body is a magic weapon. Depending on the exact enchantment, the dirty jokes write themselves.

I don't see any reason it shouldn't be allowed as a house rule. It does give monks and anyone else who partakes an advantage when the party loses or is otherwise unable to use their gear, but that's what they get for relying on something other than themselves.

I played a lizard-man cleric in my favorite D&D campaign who'd had his fangs coated with mithril, which was then enchanted. I loved that guy.

I think the biggest barrier for it is with spells like Magic Weapon. In a case like that, enchanting a cestus seems perfectly fine.

N810
2016-06-27, 08:34 AM
Oh, how about getting his fist tattooed with magical runes ?

Lombra
2016-06-27, 08:45 AM
Way of the four elements monk has wireless fire punches, there is that archetype for raw elemental monks.

Easy_Lee
2016-06-27, 09:23 AM
Insignia of the claw, as stated. Additionally, enchanted hand wraps are a thing in D&D Online, so asking for those would be reasonable.