PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Sellsword (5e + Houserules)

R.Shackleford
2016-06-25, 09:26 PM
The Sellsword (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H19DPBK8)

Kryx's houserules that this class is based around: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/print/rJND7KpV

I've finished with Draft 1.3 of my Sellsword class. This is class 1 of 3 that I'm making for a 5e + Homebrew games.

Class 2: Shaman
Class 3: Sorcerer

Notes

My groups tend to fight anything from Liches to Goblins at low levels, 10 levels is all I need. You don't really need a lot of numbers to play high level games, you just need the right mindset and the right abilities. Rules for "epic" characters will come eventually, these rules will replace features for each class to make them more... well... epic.

For this home brew rules I'm using Kryx and Easy_Lee's homebrew rules. These are similar to rules my groups have used but better put together.

I feel like this Sellsword needs a lot of work, especially on the dynamic feat side of things. I need to make a few things more consistent but I'm happy with the first draft. For draft two I want to add a Bandit, Thief, or Cat Burglar Sellsword paragon path which will give more Dexterity based abilities and skills (such as a focus on hiding and kiting).

This will primarily work with 5e races.
====

What I would like help with...

Wording, after staring at this for so long I want to bash my face into the wall. I keep screwing up the phrasing and grammar.

Simple and Dynamic feat ideas.

Scaling, I feel like the dynamic feats should scale but I'm not sure if they should scale based on proficiency bonus or based on level. However due to how you can learn and relearn new feats I don't think this is that much of an issue.

Martial Paragon Paths, so far I want to make (as already said) Roguish Paragon Path. However I would like to make others but I want to reserve some things to feats. The Ranger would be a Martial Paragon that can be accustomed to bows and crossbows.

======

Update 1.3 due to some text not being updated lol

====

Omar's Character Sheet!

http://i.imgur.com/BvBlKM6.jpg

Final Hyena
2016-06-26, 03:17 AM
What exactly does Weapon Expertise do?

Natalie's Elemental Armor
I can see DMs saying that your armour becomes useless after using this.
Also why 6th and 8th levels?

I like the theme of the class, but feel that most of the dynamic stamina draining feats are worse than the passive ones, which is the wrong way around.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-26, 06:25 AM
What exactly does Weapon Expertise do?

Natalie's Elemental Armor
I can see DMs saying that your armour becomes useless after using this.
Also why 6th and 8th levels?

I like the theme of the class, but feel that most of the dynamic stamina draining feats are worse than the passive ones, which is the wrong way around.

Ever want to sneak attack with a Polearm or Greatsword? Ever want to attack using dex with those?

I'll change some wording for Natalie's armor.

Better feats... I'm pretty sure that as casters level up they gain access to new and better spells. The old spells are still usable but the new one are still better than the old ones.This is no different from that, if you are a higher level you get acces to better feats. That's pretty muchvpar for the course when it comes to class features.

This is one of the reasons casters are dynamic in 5e while martials are linear. As martials grow their abilities pretty much stay the same. In a game such as D&D this is just lazy and boring.

Thanks for the look through, I realized some editing mistakes on the simple feats that makes me cringe lol.

Final Hyena
2016-06-26, 07:59 AM
Ever want to sneak attack with a Polearm or Greatsword? Ever want to attack using dex with those?
I think you are refering to Weapon Finesse.

Weapon Expertise
Prerequisite: Level 3, 15 Str or Dex While wielding a weapon which you are accustomed to you are considered to be wearing heavy armor.
How does that help?

Better feats... I'm pretty sure that as casters level up they gain access to new and better spells. The old spells are still usable but the new one are still better than the old ones.This is no different from that, if you are a higher level you get acces to better feats. That's pretty muchvpar for the course when it comes to class features.

This is one of the reasons casters are dynamic in 5e while martials are linear. As martials grow their abilities pretty much stay the same. In a game such as D&D this is just lazy and boring.
Not why do they improve, why do they improve at those specific levels?

R.Shackleford
2016-06-26, 09:50 AM
I think you are refering to Weapon Finesse.

How does that help?

Not why do they improve, why do they improve at those specific levels?

Ah yes, sorry, woke up from going to bed 3AM. Don't drink and dank meme or you're gonna have a bad time.

Weapon Expertise gives you DR 3 as of you are wearing heavy armor. In 3e weapon expertise was tied to your AC. You essentially can use your weapon as armor. Weapon Expertise is a feat in thinking about changing to scale with proficiency bonus, giving you DR equal to (your Proficiency Bonus -1). This would give you DR 1 (light armor), DR 2 (medium armor), and then DR 3 (heavy armor) as you level up.

Ever see an awesome character in a movie or book that can somehow not get hit even while fighting multiple people and all they have is a weapon? That's weapon expertise. This represents your ability to parry/block damage.

Those specific levels for feat increases? Oh, they are there cause originally that was when you gain access to new feats so those was going to be the "level up" spots. I just left them there. However I'm thinking of running feats off proficiency or off the "dead levels". OVS does need to be a 15' cube instead of a 20' cube.

Perhaps...
Omar's Vicious Shield
Prerequisites: 3rd Level, Shield Proficiency

2d8 damage. At levels 5, 7, and 9 this damage increases by 1d8.

This is part of the inconsistent issue I have with the Sellsword feats that I'm hoping to fix.

A thunderwave deals 2d8 damage +1d8/level (every two levels). At class levels 1 (2d8), 3 (3d8), 5 (4d8), 7 (5d8), and 9 (6d8). Doing 1d8 less is fine with me as you get to use your shield. OVS doesn't get the push effect but does give the character ability to put on and off a shield fast.

Doing a bit less damage isn't a concern when you are able to throw your shield and have it hit a bunch of creatures.

So essentially do I boost feats off proficiency or off dead levels?

Final Hyena
2016-06-26, 11:05 AM
Weapon Expertise gives you DR 3 as of you are wearing heavy armor. In 3e weapon expertise was tied to your AC. You essentially can use your weapon as armor. Weapon Expertise is a feat in thinking about changing to scale with proficiency bonus, giving you DR equal to (your Proficiency Bonus -1). This would give you DR 1 (light armor), DR 2 (medium armor), and then DR 3 (heavy armor) as you level up.
Can you link rules that your new content is based on for ease?

Those specific levels for feat increases? Oh, they are there cause originally that was when you gain access to new feats so those was going to be the "level up" spots. I just left them there. However I'm thinking of running feats off proficiency or off the "dead levels". OVS does need to be a 15' cube instead of a 20' cube.

So essentially do I boost feats off proficiency or off dead levels?
I would choose from the significant levels 5, 11, 17 & 20.

JNAProductions
2016-06-26, 11:10 AM
I don't like Combat Superiority. It's just a "Nope" button.

Add in the "Max 20" clause for your ASI.

Is this based off normal 5E rules? It seems to not be.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-26, 01:31 PM
Can you link rules that your new content is based on for ease?

I would choose from the significant levels 5, 11, 17 & 20.

It is based off a combination of 5e and some houserules my groups use. However I'll be using more of the houserules Kryx created. There was some differences but here is Kryx's document on the houserules. http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/print/rJND7KpV . The rules my group uses are the AC is DR, 3 Saving Throws, and Expertise = Advantage. If you are attacking a creature you roll a d20 to see if you crit, the defender rolls a reflex save. A lot of the other stuff in the docement we really haven't dealt with all that much and just kinda wing it.

Well, level 11, 17, and 20 doesn't exist and won't exist. My groups fight Liches at level 2 so I'm just not dealing with higher than 10th level. Eventually I may make some epic level rules but until then... Meh, they are just not needed.

Typically spells increase based on using a higher level slot, the 5e warlock automatically has their slots increase at 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th or the "dead levels". I will probably make scaling feats start or boosted at 5th, and 9th level to give some consistency and sense of scaling.

I don't like Combat Superiority. It's just a "Nope" button.

Add in the "Max 20" clause for your ASI.

Is this based off normal 5E rules? It seems to not be.

Casters can get "no" things so I don't see why martials can't get them. Besides, CS isn't a "no" action like dispel magic, counter spell, or anti-magic (or the many other spells such as fly... Say no to melee kids). OA are quite weak and this doesn't stop you from moving, just punishes you for thinking that the Sellsword is a normal combatant. You can still get some use out of Sentinel but really by the time I'm finished will all these I hope no one will need the core 5e feats.

There is already a core 5e feat that does this, however my groups hate that they took this feature away from the Fighter and made it into a feat... So I'm giving it to the Sellsword.

I was assuming point buy with this as that is what my groups only use (and what public play uses) but I'll add that in to the Basic Ability Improvement feature. If you use the point buy system from 5e you can't get over a 20 with Basic Ability Improvement as you gain it twice and you can only start with a 16.

It is based off the 5e rule set. However it uses houserules (see above) and I'll be adding a Shaman ( or Druid or Warden... Haven't decided exactly what nature class I want), Paladin, and a Warlock.

Edit:

Did some changes to Natalie's Elemental Armor. Max 4d10 damage, so less raw damage than core hellish rebuke (by 2d10), but the element is one of your choice of 4 and you gain resistance for 8 hours to your element. DMs can easily deal with this if they need to but I don't see this being an issue since so many creatures gain some sort of resistance (some immunities too) even at low levels (1 - 10).