PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Making a 3.5 Gestalt Character, things that combine with Paladin of Tyranny

sage20500
2016-06-25, 10:29 PM
Needing ideas for classes that go well with Paladin of Tyranny. I'm making a level 6 PC with a 32 point buy that is going to be using the Revenant Template ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=14861456&postcount=1 ) though the DM has ruled that instead of being an LA 2 its now an LA 4. Aside from that I can take the template at level 5-6 as well and just use the normal rules for having the -X to rolls till I hit level 9-10 etc. I know one side I want to run as a Paladin of Tyranny most likely as a full 20 unless anyone has a better idea for what to use instead. The other side aside from possibly splashing in minimum hexblade 3 i'm unsure of what to combine it with. I'm not really too keen on mixing in anything with heavy spell casting at all because the flavor of the character is that he was originally a Legionnaire that made a deal after dying and was brought back with the purpose of protecting the humanoid races as a whole from their own destruction. After all, you don't have to be good to want to keep others from coming to harm etc. So he's at home commanding others and being in the thick of combat. Aside from that, what are some good weapons for melee that don't require someone to be too feat intesive? (Was thinking of having the base race being Silverblood Human so that I could take the draconic aura feat, and grabbing some of the other commandery feats as well)

Snowbluff
2016-06-25, 10:43 PM
Good weapons are usually just Great Sword and the Scimitar. A composite Longbow set for your Strength Rating (see the composite bow rules) is a good back up. If you're feeling cheeky, carry a Net, which is good for entangling foes, even if you have to take the -4 for not being proficient.

I do agree with taking Draconic aura. I think it's a good feat.

For classes:

Bard. Obviously, but you can eventually take Song of the Heart and give your allies (and yourself) a nice boost. The extra skill points and good Reflex will help round out your character otherwise. Being Draconic means you can take Dragonfire Inspiration for a bit more extra damage.

Marhsal. Not very strong, but provides nice passive bonuses and fits the theme. This is good if you want to do tripping and disarming, as the class as aura that let you add your cha to those checks. However, I think it might be on the weak side compared to the other two choices.

Crusader. This is the opposite of Marshal. It's stronger, and the bonuses are more active. It also provides some healing and bonus damage. It might be a little complicated if you want to avoid casting, but it sure is fun. You'll want to pick out White Raven maneuvers, as they usually provide the more leadership based abilities.

Troacctid
2016-06-25, 10:44 PM
After all, you don't have to be good to want to keep others from coming to harm etc.
Eh...I mean, if we're talking about strangers...you kinda do. I mean, protecting the innocent is like literally the single most defining characteristic of Good. Look, it's right there in the definition:

Good characters and creatures protect innocent life.
Not to mention the Paladin of Tyranny code of conduct:

A paladin of tyranny must be of lawful evil alignment and loses all class abilities if he ever willingly commits a good act. Additionally, a paladin of tyranny's code requires that he respect authority figures as long as they have the strength to rule over the weak, act with discipline (not engaging in random slaughter, keeping firm control over those beneath his station, and so forth), help only those who help him maintain or improve his status, and punish those who challenge authority (unless, of course, such challengers prove more worthy to hold that authority).
An evil person would protect her friends and allies and others who are useful to her, but she wouldn't go around protecting random people just for the fuzzies.

Snowbluff
2016-06-25, 10:54 PM
Not to make this a Paladin thread (but evil), but protecting people under you isn't against that code. They pay your taxes and grow your food!
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b630/Snowbluff/12189881_1074982352514402_8902937699524161756_n_zp ssxakdgoc.jpg

sage20500
2016-06-26, 02:03 AM
Oh, so further important information that is needed. The campaign being run is a homebrew campaign that is set in the Devil May Cry universe, so most everything we will be facing that is important will be either a Demon or Devil, or outsiders in general.

Ok, so point buy is now done, and I am currently now playing a Deathtouched (DM 313 P66) Lesser Aasimar that will be gaining the Revenant Template upon hitting level 6.

My stats after Point Buy of 32, racials, and bonus from level 4 is 17 Strength, 12 Dex, Con -, 16 Int, 14 Wis, 25 Cha.

So until level 6 I have an effective LA of +1, My paladin side is set up to be 1 Sorcerer (ACF that gives Draconic Heritage for Howling Dragon), and then 19 levels of Harmonious Knight Holy Warrior and then Planar Paladin to get smite evil outsider at level 4 Paladin. I plan on getting from smite to song and dragon fire inspiration as feats so that I can help out the party's Half Minotaur(Or Half Ogre depending on what the DM allows) Barbarian//Fighter/Warhulk and VOP Wildshaping Ranger//Druid, and then the other side will be Cleric 1 (What are some of the better Domains to poach for feats?) for regaining access to Rebuke Undead and then I'm not sure what the other 3 classes will be.

I was thinking of possibly taking 2 levels of Monk and picking up Kungfu Genius so that I can add my Int to AC and then use Bracers of Armor instead of wearing actual armor. Aside from that I've also looked at maybe 2 or 3 levels of Hexblade for more bonuses to saves and gaining mettle so that if its actually something that requires me to roll a fort or will save then I better chance of not failing it. Prestige Classing wise after Level 10 I was actually interested in picking up Dragon Lord for the leadershipy effects and free demoralizing upon killing ****. Not sure though if there are any better ideas that synergize with a smite to song Paladin melee.

sage20500
2016-06-26, 08:55 AM
Oh, so further important information that is needed. The campaign being run is a homebrew campaign that is set in the Devil May Cry universe, so most everything we will be facing that is important will be either a Demon or Devil, or outsiders in general.

Ok, so point buy is now done, and I am currently now playing a Deathtouched (DM 313 P66) Lesser Aasimar that will be gaining the Revenant Template upon hitting level 6.

My stats after Point Buy of 32, racials, and bonus from level 4 is 17 Strength, 12 Dex, Con -, 16 Int, 14 Wis, 25 Cha.

So until level 6 I have an effective LA of +1, My paladin side is set up to be 1 Sorcerer (ACF that gives Draconic Heritage for Howling Dragon), and then 19 levels of Harmonious Knight Holy Warrior and then Planar Paladin to get smite evil outsider at level 4 Paladin. I plan on getting from smite to song and dragon fire inspiration as feats so that I can help out the party's Half Minotaur(Or Half Ogre depending on what the DM allows) Barbarian//Fighter/Warhulk and VOP Wildshaping Ranger//Druid, and then the other side will be Cleric 1 (What are some of the better Domains to poach for feats?) for regaining access to Rebuke Undead and then I'm not sure what the other 3 classes will be.

I was thinking of possibly taking 2 levels of Monk and picking up Kungfu Genius so that I can add my Int to AC and then use Bracers of Armor instead of wearing actual armor. Aside from that I've also looked at maybe 2 or 3 levels of Hexblade for more bonuses to saves and gaining mettle so that if its actually something that requires me to roll a fort or will save then I better chance of not failing it. Prestige Classing wise after Level 10 I was actually interested in picking up Dragon Lord for the leadershipy effects and free demoralizing upon killing ****. Not sure though if there are any better ideas that synergize with a smite to song Paladin melee.

No longer looking at 1-2 levels in monk, figured out that I was better off just using Mechanus Armor period so monk is no longer on the table. I've now figured out that I'm going to be using a Greatspear for my weapon based on some really cool artwork I saw, though since we already have one pouncing charger in the party and I'm allowed to grab a winter wolf as my paladin mount once I hit 8 I'm instead looking at mounted combat and charging feats, so yeah lunging strike and power lunge feats (Am still waiting to hear back from DM on whether or not he'll treat spears like they are lances for when ever I'm mounted, so getting double damage on a charge and being able to use it one handed so that I can have a heavy shield in my other hand.)

redzimmer
2016-06-26, 01:18 PM
I think warlock is a good cross-gish for the paladin of tyranny. Les armour but a more diverse set of CHA-based abilities for some oppressing.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-06-26, 02:22 PM
Zhentarim Skymage is great for paladin/sorcerers, provided that your DM allows the flying mount to recieve paladin mount benefits. If it doesn't, you should drop some paladin levels, going with something like: paladin of tyranny 2/crusader 15/bard +3//bard 6/wyrm wizard 2/zhentarim skymage 5/legacy champion 8 (advancing skymage). Take the +2 bard levels opposite Wyrm Wizard/Legacy Champion no-casting levels. You end up with 19 base attack, full bard casting, full Inspire Courage (with Song of the White Raven), IL 17 (9th-level maneuvers), and a pretty useful 12 + CHA mod HD flying mount (with 30 CHA, that includes adult dragons).

You said 'no heavy casting', and this build is not set up for any casting tricks, but there are two cool things you can do.
The first is the basic Arcane Strike: burn a spell slot to get +1 to hit and +1d4 damage per level of the spell sacrificed. For example, burn a 4th-level spell, and get +4 to hit and +4d4 to damage, for one round.
The second meshes with your Dragonblood subtype: wings of cover. It's a second-level spell from Dragon Magic, that protects against a lot of attacks by providing total cover (as an immediate action, so it can be used on other people's turns). Since you're dragonblooded, you get to cast a more effective version: it can provide cover to nearby allies (such as your mount), one ally per three caster levels. Very useful for a protective tyrant, that his command post is protected from disintegrate and so on. It's normally a sorcerer-only spell, but you can pick it up with Wyrm Wizard.