View Full Version : 3rd Ed No Sleep

Rachko
2016-06-26, 04:57 AM
Hey guys, I'm relatively new to the 3rd ed and I was wondering if there's a quick way of removing the need for sleep? I do remember reading something years ago, when I was maybe 13 and went through my big brother's character sheet and he said something about his or his friends' character not having to sleep. Is there such a thing? It's quite integral for my master plan.

Also, this is my first post so hopfully it's in the right place.
Thanks!

Troacctid
2016-06-26, 05:06 AM
Usually it's a racial ability. Warforged have no need for sleep, for example, nor do non-native outsiders like neraphim.

Venger
2016-06-26, 05:38 AM
Hey guys, I'm relatively new to the 3rd ed and I was wondering if there's a quick way of removing the need for sleep? I do remember reading something years ago, when I was maybe 13 and went through my big brother's character sheet and he said something about his or his friends' character not having to sleep. Is there such a thing? It's quite integral for my master plan.

Also, this is my first post so hopfully it's in the right place.
Thanks!

constructs, elementals, oozes, non-native outsiders, plants, and undead do not require sleep.

you can also obviate the need for sleep with the wakeful mind graft located on page 158 of faiths of eberron.

but even if none of those are viable for your character build, it's not a big deal: unless your guy casts spells, there's not actually a penalty for never sleeping.

what exactly is your master plan, out of idle curiosity.

Shpadoinkle
2016-06-26, 05:49 AM
I don't know if it's explicitly stated anywhere, but I'm pretty sure going without sleep should make you exhausted.

Of course, exhaustion can be removed with a Lesser Restoration spell.

Necroticplague
2016-06-26, 07:13 AM
Elves also don't need to sleep.

Faily
2016-06-26, 07:36 AM
Elves also don't need to sleep.

Elves don't sleep, no, but they enter a restive-trance for 4 hours (rather than sleep for 8 hours).

A Ring of Sustenance would reduce your need for sleep to 2 hours. As mentioned too, if you don't cast spells, you could just go about acquiring an item that casts Lesser Restoration once a day or something to take care of any Fatigue or Exhaustion penalties you'd gain from skipping sleep entirely.

BWR
2016-06-26, 07:38 AM
Correction: not all elves sleep.
Some do, like Mystaran elves. And all PF elves.

Necroticplague
2016-06-26, 09:13 AM
As mentioned too, if you don't cast spells, you could just go about acquiring an item that casts Lesser Restoration once a day or something to take care of any Fatigue or Exhaustion penalties you'd gain from skipping sleep entirely.

Depending on exactly what houserules is ou in place for sleep deprivation, the Tireless feat might be suffecient to cancel it out. If its any kind if system where you become fatigued, then exhausted*, Tireless would prevent you from ever becoming fatigued, thus stopping things from getting worse.

*=such as applying the overland travel rules for forced march to non-movement.

AslanCross
2016-06-26, 09:26 AM
The only common race I know of that does without any sleep at all is the Warforged.

Undead presumably do not need to rest, either.

Beheld
2016-06-26, 09:51 AM
Aside from the many types of creatures that don't need to sleep, there are no actual rules for what happens if you don't sleep, but presumably it involves fatigue and/or exhaustion, so an eternal wand of Lesser Restoration or being a Cleric and using a second level spell slot can make it so you never sleep again and never suffer any penalties for that.

Necroticplague
2016-06-26, 10:03 AM
The only common race I know of that does without any sleep at all is the Warforged.

Undead presumably do not need to rest, either.

Not just presumably, but they explicitely do.

An undead creature possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

No Constitution score.
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
Cannot heal damage on its own if it has no Intelligence score, although it can be healed. Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures. The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creature’s Intelligence score.
Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.
Proficient with its natural weapons, all simple weapons, and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Undead not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Undead are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

MisterKaws
2016-06-26, 10:12 AM
The DMG does have suggestions for rules on sleeping, but it basically boils down to a Con check(DC 12+4/night) or be Fatigued, and races with Trance get a +2 bonus.

Âmesang
2016-06-26, 10:26 AM
Not that it's much help, but there's a primary ability for epic intelligent items that removes the wielder's need to sleep (and another that removes the wielder's need to breath).

Anthrowhale
2016-06-26, 12:20 PM
"Remove Fatigue" is an L4 spell in Book of Exalted Deeds which explicitly provides the benefits of "8 hours of restful sleep". This explicitly does not help arcane spellcasters recover spells, but it should function in every other way. Since the casting time is 10 minutes, this is approximately equivalent to to the cleric sleeping for 10 minutes on your behalf.

Daddoo
2016-06-26, 12:31 PM
If you have an Elf in the Party you can learn the teamwork ability to only need the same 4 hour restive state that elves use for the entire party.

AslanCross
2016-06-26, 05:40 PM
Not just presumably, but they explicitely do.
I had forgotten that, mostly because the primary reason people take Necropolitan is not the lack of sleep but the cheesy options it supports.

Rachko
2016-06-27, 07:37 AM
Wow, you guys are amazing. I didn't expect so many good answers! I will definitely need your help later with my master plan. Speaking of which, I will explain the situation and maybe you guys will have some input I can use.
I'm sorry if I'm not always using the correct terms, english is my second language.
So, some background:
My friends and I played Exalted for almost 10 years, and then one of them decided he had a great idea for a D&D adventure so we all went along. He changed stuff in game world and character creation. He basically had prepared characters for each of us and had us starting with no memory of anything and with a blank character sheet waking up on the shore of same land. Only thing we knew was stuff that you can see, so races and genders, and that's it really. Turns out I'm a human. SO we all can't remember anything bla bla bla, I'm trying to lead but they are really not having any of it so we're going nowhere for like 4 hours. After a while I got bored and angry so I simply made up a story that I remember to get them to do what I want. That story is that we've all been kidnapped by a magical pirate that wiped out memories after he took what he needed from us and now our goal as a team is to find and kill the imaginary bastard.
...Which kind of puts me in a weird position. I'm trying to create tracks and people related to the pirate, but most of the time I'm stuck with my group, so the night is the time of action. I did realize that you get no panelty for staying awake unless you're a spellcaster, which I am... again, part of the character the DM created for me.
So my master plan is that as we get stronger I will use the night as my best friend and will eventually become the pirate myself.
Sorry for it being so long and incoherent, hopefully you managed to get the point.

and again
THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH, YOU ARE AWESOME