PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dragonwrought

Keral
2016-06-26, 10:21 AM
Hullo, I'm confused about the dragonwrought feat.

I lose the dragonblood subtype (tho form what I read I can still get feats which require it), but the thing that has me baffled is:

Your scales become tinted with a color that matches that of your draconic heritage.
You gain a +2 racial bonus on the skill indicated for your draconic heritage on the table on page 103.

DO I have to take the draconic heritage feat as well? Or do I simply have to choose a dragon from the table to get the bonus skill? And if so, can I gain it as class skill?

Thanks

Red Fel
2016-06-26, 10:51 AM
Hullo, I'm confused about the dragonwrought feat.

I lose the dragonblood subtype (tho form what I read I can still get feats which require it), but the thing that has me baffled is:

DO I have to take the draconic heritage feat as well? Or do I simply have to choose a dragon from the table to get the bonus skill? And if so, can I gain it as class skill?

Thanks

A Dragonwrought kobold has a draconic heritage. Dragonwrought simply means, fluff-wise, that your draconic ancestry has become visibly manifest. As such, guess what? You pick it.

You don't take the Draconic Heritage feat. The Dragonwrought feat neither explicitly gives you the feat, nor gives you its benefits, nor has it as a prerequisite. It simply uses the term "heritage," as well as the corresponding table. In fact, the feat is arguably incompatible, as it gives you the Dragonblood subtype, which you lost by taking Dragonwrought.

So you pick your heritage. Let's say your ancestor was a Deep Dragon, so we look at the table, and the racial skill is Spot. So you get a +2 racial bonus to Spot.

Now, if memory serves, a racial bonus does not make a skill into a class skill - it simply means you gain a special bonus to that skill. (Special exception: racial skill bonuses to Climb or Swim generally include the ability to take 10 on those skills at any time.) So this is not a class skill for you, you simply receive a +2 bonus to that skill that stacks with pretty much anything. The Draconic Heritage feat makes it a class skill, but Dragonwrought does not.

If you really want Sorcerer-y bonuses for your Kobold, you're better off with the Draconic Rite of Passage (p. 43) and the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage
(here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a)).

Oh, and as a final point, if you decide to change your draconic heritage, the Rite of Draconic Affinity (p. 59) is a thing.

Keral
2016-06-26, 10:55 AM
Thank you!

It's not for a sorcerer but a spellfire adept, but thanks for the recommendations!