PDA

View Full Version : Help with designing an artifact (being used as a replacement to weapons of legacy)

sage20500
2016-06-26, 11:06 AM
So the current campain my group is starting is being set in the devil may cry universe and the dm is granting each pc a devil arms to use, and in order to avoid the complicated bull that weapons of legacy go through, he's instead letting us all make an artifact weapon that scales in power based on our ecl. Im playing a paladin of tyranny whos primary goal is to fight back the encroaching tide of evil (and good as well if needed) outsiders so they stop messing stuff up and killing off the peons that help serve my interests that is being modeled as a mounted lancer.

Now ive seen plenty of threads that have explained how to stat up excalibur and other kinds of weapons, but what i want to know is how you all in the playground would go about possibly statting up either Gae Bulg or Gae Derg as an artifact spear (am guessing theyd most likely be a great spear?)

sage20500
2016-06-26, 01:48 PM
Ok so i currently had an idea for how to do Gae Bolg, so in campaign Gae Bulg would have been made using Alistair. So at full 20 ecl what id be looking at is an greater artifact great spear.

+5 Keen, Profane, Collision, Evil Outsider Bane great spear (not sure if i should have it be kaori resin or heavy metal platinum\gold).

Gae Bulgs enhancement effects only function against evil outsiders against any non evil outsider it is meerly a +5 profane great spear.

This is a profane weapon so only undead can safely wield it.

Alistair uses his demonic lightining powers to enhance his weilders abilities; as a result Alistair deals 5 electric damage to its weilder every round he is held.

3 x per day Alistair may cast true strike as a swift action.

3 x per day Alistair may cast a Rhinos Rush as a swift action.

Alistair provides his wielder with a +6 enhancement bonus to Strength while being wielded,

Alistair provides a +4 enhancement bonus to Dex while being wielded.

How does that sound so far for setting out the blue print of that artifact (am bassing this off of some rules\guidelines i saw someone else post in the forums)

sage20500
2016-06-26, 01:49 PM
The idea for the above weapon being is that its designed for non pounce chargers. It allows them to set up to make one attack that will hit like a mother fing truck.

MisterKaws
2016-06-26, 02:14 PM
First of all, just a tip: Try not to add too many consecutive posts. Instead, just add them as edits to the first in the order.

With that out of the way, here's my suggestion: Just use Weapons of Legacy and take their penalties away.

sage20500
2016-06-27, 12:44 AM
Ok, so we essentially designed a weapon of legacy that automatically scales with level (and the dm is just adjusting our WBL to make up for the fact that we're no longer spending money on our main weapon) and this is what I currently have

Gae Bolg:

Large Abyssal Bloodiron Great Spear

+1 Enhancement Bonus at CL 4, +2 at CL7, +3 at CL10, +4 at CL13, +5 at CL16.

+2 Enhancement Bonus to Strength at CL6, +4 at CL12, +6 at CL18

Gae Bolg may cast Rhinos Rush 3 x per Day at CL8

Gain the Valorous enchantment at CL14

At CL16, gain the Heartseeking Strike Ability, see below

Heartseeking Strike: Once per day before making a melee attack, Gáe Bolg’s wielder may declare their assault to be a Heartseeking Strike. The attack is made at an additional +5 morale bonus and if successful, the target must make a DC (15+1/2 level+Strength modifier) Fortitude save or die. This is a death effect. It is ineffective against constructs or creatures with no discernable anatomy. On a successful save, the attack instead deals 1.5x its normal damage and causes the target to take an additional 1/10th the damage for 10 rounds, as the wound gushes blood. (Credit to travelogue and their peach Fate/Stay/Night ideas for the heartseeking strike ability)

Finally, When ever Gae Bolg deals damage to any creature this can apply to, it leaves behind a Bleeding wound (See Wounding Special ability), every attack causes the target to bleed continuously until healed. Bleed damage is equal to the enhancement bonus and may stack over multiple attacks.
At +1 enhancement the wounds may be healed by a dc 15 heal check or the application of any heal spell; at +2 wounds can only be cured by any cure or healing spell or greater, at +3 wounds may only be cured by remove curse or a greater effect, at +4 wounds can only be cured by break enchantment or a greater effect, at +5 wounds may only be cured by remove Greater Curse or greater effect.

All of these features together the DM has said will mean that the weapon will count as an effective +10 weapon by the time we hit 18-20.

So that's all said and done and now I'm trying to look at potential Prestige classes for my not 20 paladin side of the gestalt character for once I hit level 11, and one of the potentially useful PRC's I could move into happens to be Kensai. What are the rules for Kensai and weapons that are being enhanced by money? I've tried to look it up already tonight but no matter where I go it seems like people are confused as to what is supposed to happen.