PDA

View Full Version : Moonsinger [Base Class/Magic System]

ArmorArmadillo
2007-06-30, 07:27 PM
Some say there is relatively little room for art and subtlety amid the fireball hurling and mind obliterating arts of magery; maybe they were the ones who invented the discipline of Moonsinging. Who are they? Well…um…who are you? That’s what I thought.

Like a Bard, a Moonsinger blends magic and music. Unlike a bard, a Moonsinger crafts arcane magic directly, using base magical energy like notes in a piece, drawing magic into music. In a sense, the Moonsinger is the inverse of the bard.

A Moonsinger sees every day as a measure in the great score of life. A Moonsinger adventures to craft a truly great story of her life; she adventures to echo her own music throughout the world.

The Moonsinger

The Moonsinger
Hit Die: d8
Skills: 4+Int Modifier Per Level (Class Skills: Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Heal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana), Listen, Perform, Profession, Ride, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Magic Device)
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Chords|Melodies
1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+2|Moonsinging, Shimmer, Evening Note|2|1

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+3|Luminous +1|2|1

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3||2|2

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Crescent Strike|3|2

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Bonus Feat|3|2

6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+5|Luminous +2|3|3

7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+5|Lunar Blade 1/Day|3|3

8th|
+6|
+6|
+6|
+6|Midnight Note|4|3

9th|
+6|
+6|
+6|
+6|Bonus Feat|4|4

10th|
+7|
+7|
+7|
+7|Luminous +3|4|4

11th|
+8|
+7|
+7|
+7|Astral Symphony 1/Day|4|4

12th|
+9|
+8|
+8|
+8||5|5

13th|
+9|
+8|
+8|
+8|Bonus Feat|5|5

14th|
+10|
+9|
+9|
+9|Eternal Note, Luminous +4|5|5

15th|
+11|
+9|
+9|
+9|LunarBlade 3/Day|5|6

16th|
+12|
+10|
+10|
+10| |6|6

17th|
+12|
+10|
+10|
+10|Bonus Feat|6|6

18th|
+13|
+11|
+11|
+11|Luminous +5|6|7

19th|
+14|
+11|
+11|
+11| |6|7

20th|
+15|
+12|
+12|
+12|Astral Symphony 2/Day|6|7[/table]

Moonsinging:
A Moonsong is a special type of spell, which uses magical elements like notes in a symphony.
A Moonsong is comprised of a Chord and a Melody, which are selected from any which the Moonsinger knows.
Beginning a Moonsong requires a standard action which does not provoke attacks of opportunity and a Perform check with a DC equal to (10+1/2 Caster Level+Cord Level+Melody Level). If successful, the Moonsong begins, and continues each round until the Moonsinger elects to stop the Moonsong or begin a different Moonsong.
While active, the Moonsinger and all allies, or all of her enemies, depending on the effect, who can hear the song gain the effects granted by the Chord, and the Moonsinger can use the Spell-Like ability granted by the Melody at will.
A Moonsong lasts at maximum a number of minutes equal to the users Charisma modifier.
A Moonsinger’s music has a Vocal Component, but does not have any Somatic Components, and therefore is not affected by arcane spell failure.
At 1st level, a Moonsinger may select Evening Notes. At 8th level, a Moonsinger may also select Midnight Notes. At 14th level, a Moonsinger may also select Eternal Notes.
Moonsongs allow Spell Resistance, and are affected by Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration.
Chords and Melodies both have effective levels, and are treated as spells of that level when relevant. (Such as when dealing with globe of invulnerability.)
If a Moonsong effect allows a Saving Throw, the DC is equal to (10+Chord or Melody Level+Moonsinger Cha Mod). Any creature that successfully saves against the effects of a chord are considered to succeed at any subsequent save made against that specific chord.
Chords:
Evening Notes:
Warden Andante;1st: All allies gain a +1 dodge bonus to AC, +1 for each 4 levels above 1.
Dancing Scherzando; 2nd: All allies gain a 5 ft. bonus to their movement speed, plus 5 ft. for each 3 levels above 1.
Savage Forte; 1st: All allies gain a +1 bonus on attack and damage, +1 for each 3 levels above 1.
Aura Enfatico; 3rd: All allies gain a +2 bonus on Will saves, +1 for each 4 levels above 1.
Swift Grazioso; 3rd: All allies gain a +2 bonus on Reflex saves, +1 for each 4 levels above 1.
Enduring Largo; 3rd: All allies gain a +2 bonus on Fortitude saves, +1 for each 4 levels above 1.
Deep Solenne; 2nd: All enemies take a -1 penalty to attack, damage, and AC, -1 for each 4 levels above 1. (Will halves penalty)
Wilting Flebile; 3rd: All enemies take a -1 penalty to all saves, -1 for each 3 levels above 1. (Will halves penalty)
Midnight Notes:
Boundless Facile; 5th: All allies may reroll any one d20 roll per round, before knowing the results.
Ardent Marziale; 4th: All allies act as if hasted.
Shroud Arioso; 5th: All allies gain concealment.
Fierce Brilliante; 6th: Increase critical threat range of all allies’ attacks.
Fell Estinto; 4th: All enemies act as if slowed. (Will negates)
Vicious Irato; 5th: Enemies unable to take full-round actions. (Will negates)
Eternal Notes:
Zephyr Volante; 7th: All allies gain fly (perfect) and swim speeds equal to their base land speed.
Victor’s Forte; 9th: All allies gain +2 to each ability score.
Flawless Rapido; 8th: All allies act as if under freedom of movement.
Dark Silenzio; 7th: All enemies are blinded, deafened, and silenced. (Fortitude reduces to silenced.

Melodies:
Evening Notes:
Psychic Fantasia; 1st: Use charm person as a spell-like ability.
Mirror Etude; 2nd: Use mirror image as a spell-like ability.
Sky Dance; 2nd: Use gust of wind as a spell-like ability.
Winter Cantata; 1st: Use chill touch as a spell-like ability.
Void Lullaby; 1st: Use ray of enfeeblement as a spell-like ability.
Noble Concerto; 2nd: Use false life as a spell-like ability.
Midnight Notes:
Vortex Requiem; 3rd: Use vampiric touch as a spell-like ability.
Voyager Rhapsody; 4th: Use dimensional anchor as a spell-like ability.
Hunter Suite; 3rd: Use dispel magic as a spell-like ability.
Penitent Fugue; 4th: Use enervation as a spell-like ability.
Siren Chorale; 4th: Use charm monster as a spell-like ability.
Eternal Notes:
Ensorcelled Symphony; 7th: Use prismatic spray as a spell-like ability.
King’s Oratorio; 6th: Use greater heroism as a spell-like ability.
Lunar Nocturne; 6th: Use shadow walk as a spell-like ability.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Moonsinger is proficient with all one handed Simple Weapons as well as the Kukri, Short Sword, Flail, Longsword, Rapier, Scimitar, Trident, Longbow, and Shortbow, and all light armor.

Shimmer (Ex): A Moonsinger seems to glow with the lilting beauty of moonlight, and her every movement carries the intrinsic magic of the astral heavens. A Moonsinger may add her Charisma modifier, rather than her Strength modifier, to melee attack and damage rolls. Unlike Strength modifiers, this bonus damage is not multiplied by 1.5 when wielding a weapon in two hands.

Luminous: A Moonsinger puts great focus into her favored arts and skills. At 2nd level, and again at 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level, the maximum number of ranks she may invest in Perform, Sleight of Hand, and Use Magic Device increases by 1.

Crescent Strike (Ex): The weapon of a Moonsinger dances and flickers like moonlight through clouds, trailing her magical ability like a corona on the blade’s edge. Moonsingers of 4th level or higher may use their weapons to deliver touch spells as though they were unarmed strikes.

Bonus Feat: At 5th level, and every 4th level following it, the Moonsinger may select a bonus feat from the following list: Acrobatic, Agile, Combat Casting, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Deft Hands, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Skill Focus (Perform, Sleight of Hand, or Use Magic Device), Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, or Weapon Focus

Lunar Blade (Su): Once per day as a swift action, starting at 7th level, Moonsingers can focus a presence of pure magical energy into their weapon, inflicting on anyone they strike a powerful curse. On their next successful attack after using Lunar Blade, the Moonsinger deals 2 points of damage to each ability score, with no save. An enemy may only be affected by one Lunar Blade effect at a time. At 15th level, this ability becomes usable three times per day.

Astral Symphony (Ex): Drawing from her vast experience and artistry, a Moonsinger of great talent can weave her magical songs into each other, creating a truly spectacular magical piece. Once per day, starting at 11th level, while using a Moonsong, a Moonsinger may activate a second Moonsong, without disrupting the first. The full effects of both songs are active for their duration, but if either song is ended, both are. At 20th level, this ability is usable twice per day.

Kellus
2007-06-30, 11:37 PM
Wow. Words cannot describe how awesome this is. For musical magicians, this TOTALLY trumps the bard. :P

GryffonDurime
2007-07-01, 12:01 AM
I really, really like this style of class for magic--kind of a build-your-own-spells system. I was working on something somewhat similar for other mages, but I think I like this better than what I was getting.

With that said...I do have some questions. With the Chords, did you ever say what kind of action is required to use them? I may have missed it in there, and the implication is obviously a standard action, but even still saying only "at will" just invites arguments. Power-wise the chosen abilities seem fine; some are a bit stronger than what you'd throw to a Warlock--the closest equivalent class I can think of mechanically--but the Warlock also doesn't have to wait a turn before using his invocations, and doesn't have to change songs either for that matter. A nice balancing factor.

Instead of increasing the maximum ranks for skills through a class feature, why not just allow them to gain a +1, untyped bonus to a skill or two of their choice from that list? Just a bit less to keep track of.

Also...I can't help but wonder why this class, which seems so much like the Bardlock (theoretically a holy grail of supporting classes), is so potent in battle? With average BAB, all good saves, a d8 hitdie, and all attacks delivered as touch attacks? Seriously--while you're singing and throwing around Prismatic Blasts, you can still wreck some havoc in melee.

Even still, I like the abilities provided here, though a few more options couldn't hurt.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-07-01, 12:11 PM
I really, really like this style of class for magic--kind of a build-your-own-spells system. I was working on something somewhat similar for other mages, but I think I like this better than what I was getting.

With that said...I do have some questions. With the Chords, did you ever say what kind of action is required to use them? I may have missed it in there, and the implication is obviously a standard action, but even still saying only "at will" just invites arguments. Power-wise the chosen abilities seem fine; some are a bit stronger than what you'd throw to a Warlock--the closest equivalent class I can think of mechanically--but the Warlock also doesn't have to wait a turn before using his invocations, and doesn't have to change songs either for that matter. A nice balancing factor.

Instead of increasing the maximum ranks for skills through a class feature, why not just allow them to gain a +1, untyped bonus to a skill or two of their choice from that list? Just a bit less to keep track of.

Also...I can't help but wonder why this class, which seems so much like the Bardlock (theoretically a holy grail of supporting classes), is so potent in battle? With average BAB, all good saves, a d8 hitdie, and all attacks delivered as touch attacks? Seriously--while you're singing and throwing around Prismatic Blasts, you can still wreck some havoc in melee.

Even still, I like the abilities provided here, though a few more options couldn't hurt.

Bardlock, nice...that's actually a really good description of what I'm going for.

Chords aren't an action of their own, you choose one when you start a Moonsong and that effect becomes part of it. For example, if a 7th level Moonsinger with 14 Cha started a Moonsong using warden andante and mirror etude; it would require a standard action (and a DC 15 Perform Check) to begin the Moonsong, and then, for it's duration (2 Minutes or until Changed), all allies would gain +2 to AC and the Moonsinger could use mirror-image at will. (Remember that spell-like abilities are the same action as the spell)

Increasing the max ranks was a decision I made because I wanted to fill some dead levels and give a more fluff centric ability, and I saw this as a way to do so without really affecting balance. On second look, however, it is a circuitous way of handling things. I may just switch over to a bonus. I'm mulling this one over.

As for the combat skill, you make a good point.
Frankly, I always feel like people look down on "support" classes because you never really get a chance to shine on your own.
This creates a sort of "bribery design" problem, where designing support classes involves giving all sorts of bonuses to make players tempted to play them. (The quintessential example of this is the cleric, wherein party's need a healer, but the only way people were willing to play them is if they were given enough combat ability that they eventually overshadowed the fighter.)

I've always felt, from looking at bards, that they were supposed to be able to fight. But, as statted, they're too squishy to do damage, in a field where unless you were able to power attack for 30+ per hit, you couldn't even hope to be relevant in melee.

In making the MS, I wanted something that really had it's own way to work in melee, as once you start singing you still need something to be doing, and most of the SLAs granted by Melodies are designed to augment or specially control, not be slung repeatedly (I'm not crazy about Prismatic Spray, but I'm only using core so it limits my options.).

I was hoping, following in the bardlock theme of support, that MSs could be a "pinpoint combatant", good at establishing flanking, weaking a few key foes (via Lunar Blade or Winter Cantata) and taking a few hits.

The MS is definitely more combat capable than the Bard, but I think it really needs to be. I think she definitely can't equal a fighter, paladin, or barbarian, lacking the higher hit die, feats, rage, or armor proficiencies, but I at least want her to be melee capable, which the bard isn't.

As for the saves, I'm still looking at those, it is sort of a "design bribery" element, but it may work. Ultimately, saves are reactive, and so it's hard to break the game by simply not dying, but it may push the MS over the edge.

GryffonDurime
2007-07-01, 01:34 PM
I had a feeling that the Moonsinger's combat prowess was, most likely, incentive to play a supporting role. Even still, the ability to use touch attacks with your weapons seems...almost dip-worthy at level four. It's the difference between having to beat a 35 and a 16 when striking a Balor, and if you can (I'm not sure on the matter) make full-attacks with it? One of the hinderances on full-attacks is that when fighting level-appropriate enemies, your additional attacks aren't too terribly likely to hit...this changes that in a big way.

I think you could accomplish your incentive in other ways. Yes, the Cleric gets all kind of boons to aid him in exchange for being a supportive role--look how that turned out. You want to let the Moonsinger shine at something, and that's understandable. Every class needs a way to stand proud. But you're dividing the class's focus here: the Moonsinging abilities themselves are supportive and magical, they control and enhance. But at the same time, all your other abilities are combat-oriented...it seems strange. Forced, even.

Granted, I'm not sure what a better option would be, and even as-is the class is an excellent creation. Maybe if the Moonsinger got a way to invert the typical support schema--it normally serves by making the party stronger, but what if it had abilities that could draw power from the party, supporting the Moonsinger itself? Dunno. Still a nifty class.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-07-01, 02:40 PM
I had a feeling that the Moonsinger's combat prowess was, most likely, incentive to play a supporting role. Even still, the ability to use touch attacks with your weapons seems...almost dip-worthy at level four. It's the difference between having to beat a 35 and a 16 when striking a Balor, and if you can (I'm not sure on the matter) make full-attacks with it? One of the hinderances on full-attacks is that when fighting level-appropriate enemies, your additional attacks aren't too terribly likely to hit...this changes that in a big way.

I think you could accomplish your incentive in other ways. Yes, the Cleric gets all kind of boons to aid him in exchange for being a supportive role--look how that turned out. You want to let the Moonsinger shine at something, and that's understandable. Every class needs a way to stand proud. But you're dividing the class's focus here: the Moonsinging abilities themselves are supportive and magical, they control and enhance. But at the same time, all your other abilities are combat-oriented...it seems strange. Forced, even.

Granted, I'm not sure what a better option would be, and even as-is the class is an excellent creation. Maybe if the Moonsinger got a way to invert the typical support schema--it normally serves by making the party stronger, but what if it had abilities that could draw power from the party, supporting the Moonsinger itself? Dunno. Still a nifty class.
Crescent Strike was a mistake, what it is supposed to do is allow you to channel touch spells through normal weapon attacks. ::Fixes::

You're right in noticing that the class does seem to have moonsinging as seperate from it's mostly combat-oriented class abilities...
Originally I thought that Moonsinging would mostly stand on it's own, advance by itself (similar to standard spellcasting), but I may want to add a few abilities to spice it up in it's own right.
I feel like at least some of the combat focus has to stay, though, because without some prowess enhancing abilities, classes simply can't contribute meaningfully to mid to high level combat.