PDA

View Full Version : [Empire2!] - A Moonlit Meeting - Private

HalfTangible
2016-06-26, 08:23 PM
This is a private thread between myself, Gengy and QuintonBeck. I don't particularly care if you read it, but keep in mind that your characters know nothing that has transpired here, and will not have time to arrive in any case.

The Primus Imperium

There is a room in the imperial palace that no longer serves any true function. Once, in an age long past, it had been a chapel to a diety best left forgotten; a place of archaic barbarism and horrific blood rituals that even the Primal found too abhorrent to allow. With the coming of the Imperium, it had served as the Hall of Heroes for a time. However, that function had been overtaken by the more modern Ordo Caravaggio Chapter House. So now, it stood empty.

Except for a table.

The man who claimed to have been the resident of the Silvanus Tower had been brought into the Palace. Pretty servant girls had cleaned him, brought him food and given him a silk robe that was comfortably warm on his skin. He would be given pleasurable company, if he wanted it. He had been allowed his weapons (or if he had none, given a small dagger) and armor.

Then he had been brought to this room, with its single table.

At his left sat a Spring Girl of the Aeldir courts, holding out a tea cup. She bore the appearance of a child, and would bear it forevermore. Her name was Rhona, liaison of a sorts to the Imperial court.

Sitting opposite her was a human man with flushed red skin and a blindfold over his eyes. His hair was beginning to gray, but he still bore a cocky grin as he refilled Rhona's tea cup.

And sitting directly before the man was a woman with a scarred visage. She wore a black robe that concealed all about her form, marking her as part of the Satsujin clans. Her hair was the red of wine, and upon her head was a heavy circlet forged together from daggers.

"Sit." Phelnia said calmly. "I think we have much to discuss."

QuintonBeck
2016-06-26, 10:25 PM
The man had taken readily the food, clothes, and women provided him. For the night he had been given to rest prior to meeting with the Queen he had spent it with an especially vivacious set of twins who had performed deeds that if ever were to be spoken of outside the bedchambers in which they were performed would be no doubt be of such a scandalous nature as to ensure the pair were never looked upon the same again. The man had a certain way, a certain charm about him that had made such acts allowable. A charm that had seen his goblet overflowing with wine and his plate piled high with meats that had been reserved for the Queen alone. If there was one word to describe the man it was charming but if there was a second it would almost certainly be mysterious or perhaps dangerous. He had declined the offer of a dagger retaining only a gnarled walking stick carved at its head in the image of a screaming face which he claimed was a more than formidable weapon.

Shown to the once hall of heroes the man, whose appearance was that of a man in his mid to late thirties, black hair shaved down but for a stripe down the middle of his head and sporting a full but trimmed black beard which stood out starkly to his pale but nonetheless suntouched skin, the man took a seat casually across from the scarred queen and her Spring Girl accomplice. He took his seat with a heavy thump and leaned his staff against his chair as he himself leaned forward to listen to the Queen.

I should say we do. You ****ing stole from me," the man spoke with a relaxed bluntness as one might among drinking buddies or fellow men at arms, "I see you found the Crown of Swords. Good job that. Wouldn't have been possible without the **** you stole from my tower. My question then is this, how are you planning to pay me back? The women and wine are nice but nothing I couldn't get myself. What you stole took years to put together. I've been scouring the world searching for the things you found written about and more beyond. What you stole had real value but now, well ****, you've stolen it of its value."

HalfTangible
2016-06-26, 11:16 PM
The man had taken readily the food, clothes, and women provided him. For the night he had been given to rest prior to meeting with the Queen he had spent it with an especially vivacious set of twins who had performed deeds that if ever were to be spoken of outside the bedchambers in which they were performed would be no doubt be of such a scandalous nature as to ensure the pair were never looked upon the same again. The man had a certain way, a certain charm about him that had made such acts allowable. A charm that had seen his goblet overflowing with wine and his plate piled high with meats that had been reserved for the Queen alone. If there was one word to describe the man it was charming but if there was a second it would almost certainly be mysterious or perhaps dangerous. He had declined the offer of a dagger retaining only a gnarled walking stick carved at its head in the image of a screaming face which he claimed was a more than formidable weapon.

Shown to the once hall of heroes the man, whose appearance was that of a man in his mid to late thirties, black hair shaved down but for a stripe down the middle of his head and sporting a full but trimmed black beard which stood out starkly to his pale but nonetheless suntouched skin, the man took a seat casually across from the scarred queen and her Spring Girl accomplice. He took his seat with a heavy thump and leaned his staff against his chair as he himself leaned forward to listen to the Queen.

I should say we do. You ****ing stole from me," the man spoke with a relaxed bluntness as one might among drinking buddies or fellow men at arms, "I see you found the Crown of Swords. Good job that. Wouldn't have been possible without the **** you stole from my tower. My question then is this, how are you planning to pay me back? The women and wine are nice but nothing I couldn't get myself. What you stole took years to put together. I've been scouring the world searching for the things you found written about and more beyond. What you stole had real value but now, well ****, you've stolen it of its value."He would find it hard to extricate himself from the twins. They had never had a man so skilled, so... debauched! They would insist that they must please him until he collapses from exhaustion; it was only fair to pay him back!

Unfortunately, they do not get the chance, and so they simply give him their names and ask he become their man-slave wed them both.

Side note: Primus is about as voracious in its sexual appetites as a single realm can be.

---

"A name would be nice." Phelnia muttered.

Galorius laughed. He liked this guy. (He then coughed - Aima probably shouldn't laugh if they can help it)

Phelnia cocked an eyebrow and set her tea down. "Oh, it's your tower, is it? That massive structure that quite probably is older than you? The one we discovered when you would have been a child, and has so far not shown a single sign of life."

Her eyes darkened. "So I can blame you for having to put down my own cousin after it drove him mad, the numerous deaths found in getting to your tower and Fireblade, and the maiming of the very people who got this crown."

"And without taxes during your entire stay in land controlled by the Imperium, as well. That would be abooout... 30 years now, give or take? How generous of us."

She scowled, and dropped her sarcastic tone. "When we found your tower, it lay abandoned and clearly had been abandoned for quite some time. In addition, we took that data years ago. If that tower were actually your home you would hardly have left it alone for so long."

She leaned closer, eyes narrowed. "And frankly, unless that walking stick of yours grants you the agelessness of the Aeldir, you're way too young to have collected this much information."

She dismissively waved her hand at the accusation of theft. "It is not 'theft.' By right of conquest, that tower belongs to the Imperium. The information within that tower was granted to the Aeldir as a boon, for a service rendered."

She opened one eye. "So in short: you have no claim to that tower or the information the Aeldir now possess. Several of my people have been driven insane, injured, or killed in part because of you. You now claim to own a tower you have no right to."

"... However," She continued, setting the tea cup down, "I acknowledge that your information has been a massive boon to us. This crown is a marvelous thing, and the Fireblade has aided the Summer Court immeasurably in keeping Aeldir alive."

"We could debate back and forth all day and into the night about who wronged who more, but that would be completely unproductive. I have no desire for retribution, nor to needlessly fight you."

"Primus gives you its women, its wine and its clothes openly and freely not because you can't get it yourself, but because we think of you as a friend, wise one, and we hope you think of us as the same in time." She smiled, and held out her hand. "I am High Queen Phelnia Primus. You may call me Phelnia, or Scarface if it pleases you." She put a hand on both Galorius and Rhona's shoulders. "This is Galorius, an Aima and my confidant. My daughter has unfortunately fallen ill and cannot join us tonight, though I hope to introduce you before you leave. This is Rhona, an Aeldir of the Spring Court. Lady Spring unfortunately would have taken far too long to arrive, but she will hear of all of this through Rhona."

"Now, my good man. What would you ask of us?"

Gengy
2016-06-27, 08:18 AM
Lady Rhona observed the man quietly. Today, she had chosen a demure pink dress; but the color and the fact that it was a dress - and her pointed ears - made it easy for her to stand out. No one bothered to challenge her anymore about not having a weapon about her waist, though she had done the people of Primus a kindness and taken to wearing a very small knife - sheathed - on a chain around her neck. She never drew that knife, though. She had not found a need. The High Queen was quite kind to her, and she got along well with many of the other family heads.

So it had been quite a while since she had heard such vehement cursing. Almost three whole days, in fact. Nearly a new record in Primus as far as Rhona was concerned. Her child-like face revealed nothing; neither kindness or concern. She did not feel she needed to speak up yet, and just continued to watch the man. She would speak when the time was right, or when there was a question that Phelnia did not ask.

QuintonBeck
2016-06-27, 09:01 AM
"You're a dismissive old **** you know that?" the man said frowning, "I don't give a **** about who these people are and I already told you I want repayment for what you stole. You think just because I take a vacation, a working vacation really what with my searching for items of power I'd spent decades researching, that you suddenly have a right to invade my home and declare it abandoned?"

"I don't feel bad in the least that your cousin went mad. That's the whole damn point of a defense system. My only regret is you all are dumb enough to keep marching through a desert anyway until eventually you busted down my doors and robbed me blind. But the more we talk the less surprised I am at your stupidity. You sit here across from me with the Crown of Swords upon your head and question my agelessness? Ha! You think I owe you rent for land and a tower I claimed long before you arrived or perhaps more ridiculous, that paying you in shiny bits of metal or gems or whatever it is your people use would bother me at all? If I liked you I'd give you two tons of gold, your royal line's weight in gemstones. Those are meaningless trinkets easily acquired."

"Don't sit there with the fruits of my labor on your ****ed up little head and tell me I have no right to my home or the information I compiled. If anyone lacks a right to it its the thieves who stole it. I watched you do it, you and the ones like you," he nodded towards the Spring Girl, "I bet you didn't know that did you? That I could see you as you were looting my home? Oh yes, thieves the lot of you."

While he seemed quite animated the man before the Queen still did not seem angry, at least not truly. If anything he almost seemed on the edge of a smirk.

"Now you say you have no desire for retribution and I say I have no idea what you even ****ing mean by that. What retribution would there be to have against the victim of a robbery? You may not desire repayment but then you have nothing of value to be repaid for. I do seek repayment, retribution, or some form of recompense for my loss. So let me put it plainly and using small words, I want you to leave the desert's borders, remove your soldiers and settlers and anyone else you've forced to eek out an existence in the desert of my tower. I want to be recognized for what I am, a great sorcerer more powerful than your entire kingdom and every kingdom you know combined and with that recognition I want the freedom to operate in your lands without interference. I want to be named as a man equal in every legal way to yourself as Queen without the obligations of your queenship."

"You say you want to be friends, then be friendly. Keep the items you found with my research, I suspect your greed runs too deep to repay me in those and I must admit your accomplishments in finding them impresses me and earns them in some small manner even if you did nothing to deserve of their knowledge in the first place."

Gengy
2016-06-27, 09:34 AM
Rhona gazed over at Queen Phelnia, and decided she should speak up at this time. "Forgive my lack of understanding, good sir, but I have questions. Perhaps, as someone so learned, you can clarify and educate me."

"Firstly, if you found this so brazen of a misconduct on our part, why await till now to bring your concern to us? Queen Phelnia is - from an outside perspective - brash, but also fair. You certainly have a grasp of their colorful language down. And as to my Lady Spring, and my fellow Spring Girls, we found no recent signs of anyone living within the Moonlit Tower, as we call it, yet we would have given heed to anyone found within; penetrating it's defenses was difficult. Did you set them up to ensure that one could only enter during a certain time, or did you find it that way? For if you know it's secrets, and would be willing to teach them, the Demesne would be pleased to learn and pay you all due respects. Your theories - the notes that we found - are topics of much speculation, though to my own knowledge, none have managed to take them any further."

HalfTangible
2016-06-27, 10:18 AM
"You're a dismissive old **** you know that?" the man said frowning, "I don't give a **** about who these people are and I already told you I want repayment for what you stole. You think just because I take a vacation, a working vacation really what with my searching for items of power I'd spent decades researching, that you suddenly have a right to invade my home and declare it abandoned?"

"I don't feel bad in the least that your cousin went mad. That's the whole damn point of a defense system. My only regret is you all are dumb enough to keep marching through a desert anyway until eventually you busted down my doors and robbed me blind. But the more we talk the less surprised I am at your stupidity. You sit here across from me with the Crown of Swords upon your head and question my agelessness? Ha! You think I owe you rent for land and a tower I claimed long before you arrived or perhaps more ridiculous, that paying you in shiny bits of metal or gems or whatever it is your people use would bother me at all? If I liked you I'd give you two tons of gold, your royal line's weight in gemstones. Those are meaningless trinkets easily acquired."

"Don't sit there with the fruits of my labor on your ****ed up little head and tell me I have no right to my home or the information I compiled. If anyone lacks a right to it its the thieves who stole it. I watched you do it, you and the ones like you," he nodded towards the Spring Girl, "I bet you didn't know that did you? That I could see you as you were looting my home? Oh yes, thieves the lot of you."

While he seemed quite animated the man before the Queen still did not seem angry, at least not truly. If anything he almost seemed on the edge of a smirk.

"Now you say you have no desire for retribution and I say I have no idea what you even ****ing mean by that. What retribution would there be to have against the victim of a robbery? You may not desire repayment but then you have nothing of value to be repaid for. I do seek repayment, retribution, or some form of recompense for my loss. So let me put it plainly and using small words, I want you to leave the desert's borders, remove your soldiers and settlers and anyone else you've forced to eek out an existence in the desert of my tower. I want to be recognized for what I am, a great sorcerer more powerful than your entire kingdom and every kingdom you know combined and with that recognition I want the freedom to operate in your lands without interference. I want to be named as a man equal in every legal way to yourself as Queen without the obligations of your queenship."

"You say you want to be friends, then be friendly. Keep the items you found with my research, I suspect your greed runs too deep to repay me in those and I must admit your accomplishments in finding them impresses me and earns them in some small manner even if you did nothing to deserve of their knowledge in the first place."Phelnia set her tea down. Quite the arrogant little man, wasn't he. He hadn't even bothered to take his first sip of tea, and yet he was yelling at the host and his Queen.

"In recovering these artifacts, several of my investigators died in a gruesome fashion and several others were maimed beyond any ability of medicine to cure. Because the greatest sorceror in all the lands decided he'd rather let them be maimed than say 'hello, stay out of my tower'."

"Yes, I question your agelessness. You have given me no reason to believe it. More importantly, however, we didn't even have these artifacts at the time, meaning we had no way of knowing what kind of power they granted."

"We found no sign of life within the tower - by your own admission, you were not there."

Rhona gazed over at Queen Phelnia, and decided she should speak up at this time. "Forgive my lack of understanding, good sir, but I have questions. Perhaps, as someone so learned, you can clarify and educate me."

"Firstly, if you found this so brazen of a misconduct on our part, why await till now to bring your concern to us? Queen Phelnia is - from an outside perspective - brash, but also fair. You certainly have a grasp of their colorful language down. And as to my Lady Spring, and my fellow Spring Girls, we found no recent signs of anyone living within the Moonlit Tower, as we call it, yet we would have given heed to anyone found within; penetrating it's defenses was difficult. Did you set them up to ensure that one could only enter during a certain time, or did you find it that way? For if you know it's secrets, and would be willing to teach them, the Demesne would be pleased to learn and pay you all due respects. Your theories - the notes that we found - are topics of much speculation, though to my own knowledge, none have managed to take them any further."

Phelnia leaned in and narrowed her eyes. "Do you understand yet? As far as we knew, no one lived there anymore, so there was no one to steal from but the dead. All you had to do was show up."

Phelnia picked the crown up off her head and place it on the table. "I cannot give you authority equal to mine; I doubt you would consider the demense of a single city worth the 'greatest sorceror in the world', in any case. Everything else, I borrow from the government I run. The Imperium would not accept a King anyway."

She looked up at him, pointing to the crown. "You wish for repayment but only ask for that which I cannot give you. Let me offer something else."

"You said that there are more artifacts such as this. But if your power to achieve them was limitless, you would have shown yourself before now and would not consider their retrieval of any real value. We also found none in the tower, suggesting you could not or would not get them yourself."

"So. I will offer this: Pass your information on to my Satsujin. They will retrieve the artifacts for you, and conduct research abroad on your order. The Imperium will request access to the artifacts when needed, but final approval is yours, and the rest of the time they are yours to research as you see fit. You will be wedded into House Aske (they have legal control of your desert) and though I cannot promise to make you Lord of the House, I am sure you can convince her to..." Her mouth twitched. "acquiesce to my request, and run the house in your stead. I'm told you're quite the charmer, when you wish to be."

"I also require a... demonstration, of your power and wisdom. I know nothing of you - for all I know, you're just a clever-talking man with a staff who happened to find the tower."

"In short: Show me that you are who you claim to be, and you will gain the authority I can grant you. You will have your tower and your desert back. You will have access to the resources of the Imperium and a wife to offload the responsibility onto. You will have access to the artifacts you seek and information on others, easier and faster than you would have gotten them on your own."

"Accept this..." She lifted up the crown and looked at it sitting in her hands. "And... though it pains me... I will give you the Crown of Swords."

QuintonBeck
2016-06-27, 03:32 PM
"I was traveling, didn't I already say that? I was looking for pieces west of the Tower. There's a lot of strange folk out there with plenty of secrets and items of interest. It's a method I have. I travel and collect information finding leads and legends. I bring that information back to my tower and compare it to what I have there compiling lists of likely items and artifacts then I head back out to try and find them. I've been traveling for years. I was quite far west when I saw your robbery and in the middle of following a very promising lead. I apologize it took me so long to come and bring the matter of your thievery to your attention."

The man harumphed and stood, "You want proof of my power, of my agelessness?" he pulled his robe aside to reveal a heavy scar over his left breast, a fatal wound the only possible culprit, "Put your hand there if you dare. Feel the quiet stillness. I don't function on a frail bit of muscle and blood wrapped in my core. I upgraded some centuries ago to something more sturdy. It's kept me alive and in better shape than any man my age ought to be."

"And this," he lifted his staff, "This was one of the items I recovered while you all plundered my tower. Behold,"

With a wave the man disappeared from sight. Suddenly the teacup that had sat in front of him vanished as well and a slurping sound emanated from where he had only just stood. The tea cup reappeared on its platter now devoid of its contents and then like a flash the strange man was standing before them again. He turned towards Rhona.

"You want to know about my tower little girl? You're going to need to offer more than vague promises. Look at your friend, she understands a negotiation."

The man sat back down and turned back to Phelnia, "I don't want political ties to your kingdom. I don't want your grubby peons fetching and stealing from me. I've tried that before with others. It never works. All I want from you is peace and quiet. Leave my tower alone, retreat from my desert, and don't interfere in my business. I hardly think that's too much to ask. Keep the blasted crown, keep your Lady Aske. I don't want them. Offer me something I want and maybe we continue this conversation otherwise these are my demands."

HalfTangible
2016-06-27, 04:20 PM
"We were trying to get into that tower for years."

Phelnia raised an eyebrow when he turned invisible. "Impressive, I will agree. But I asked for proof of your power, not the staff's."

At his objections to her request, Phelnia's mouth fell open. For a few brief moments she just stared at him, uncomprehending, then covered her face with a palm. "I just... hold on. If you didn't want political ties to the realm, why did you ask for political authority over my people on par with a Queen, sans responsibility?! Why did you ask to be recognized by the Imperium?! A moment ago you were asking for power and the crown, now you reject both and want to be left alone? I cannot give you what you want if you change what you want when I offer you something!"

"Moreover, my offer was for you to have House Aske, not its lady. You would own the desert and through her be allowed to make whatever decisions you like on the people who live there. I may be High Queen, but ultimately local decisions of that nature fall to the noble houses. I cannot do for you what I simply cannot do, and in this instance I wouldn't if I could. That tower may be yours but that land is ours."

"To clarify: I am offering to make you our Arcanist. You would have the right to all the artifacts and magical items that the Imperium finds, and would decide when (or if) we get to use them. Live as a hermit if you wish, I have no need for a man smarter than I in the Court on a day-to-day basis."

"Understand? I am offering to repay you in services rendered; your information helped us to find Fireblade and this Crown. My forces will provide you with more information and any artifacts we happen to find until you decide we've done enough. I am planning to look either way, you might as well get what you can out of it."

Something clicked in her head. A realization, something that should have occurred to her earlier. Of course! "... And... if my guess is correct, I believe I know where I can start to pay you back." She looked up, and he would notice a clever grin crossing her features. "You say you are learned and traveled. What do you know of the Iron Gauntlet?"

QuintonBeck
2016-06-27, 06:09 PM
"Not power dear, freedom. The freedom and independence of a monarch among their subjects. A liberation from whatever laws and customs your people ascribe to. That you cannot follow my desires clearly, for independence and freedom to act of my own accord without interference is no one's fault but your own. You are the one who puts power upon the table but temporal power over kingdoms is fleeting. I know that too well."

"I did not ask for, I do not want kingship. I want recognition and absolution to petty laws crafted by your hand or your nobles as befitting a true monarch of power and prestige. Perhaps it was my folly in assuming you held any true power at all. If power is held by your nobles then perhaps recognition as one of those is what I desire but recognition of myself, not some fleeting contract of marriage to some lady of your court."

The man cocked an eyebrow as the Iron Gauntlet were brought up, "A noble band the Gauntlet. I met them decades ago and paid them with a curious trinket they greatly desired for their aid in liberating a more useful artifact from a stubborn tyrant. I'm not surprised they're still around though I am that you have heard of them. They never seemed eager to leave their caves quite some distance from these lands. Of course it's been so long perhaps things have changed."

The man leaned forward, "You say you plan to pursue these artifacts. Do you even know where to start? From what I've seen all you've done is follow the path I drew for you. You took step five in a five step process. Hardly an impressive accomplishment or one I feel the need to concern myself with. While you offer aid in collecting these items and assure me first look I have no reason to trust your word. So far all I know of you is that you are thieves. Unrepentant thieves at that. Why should I trust your word?"

Gengy
2016-06-27, 07:21 PM
"Why should we trust yours?" Rhona said quietly. "You have shown up, making claims. We have no proof. You can make yourself appear and disappear, but with enough skill..."

Rhonda, sitting in her seat, suddenly moved. It did not have the same effect as the man's staff, but one second she was sitting in her chair, and the next she was not. From under the table, they heard her voice though, "...many can do something similar. You have also said that you were traveling, yet you have mentioned you saw others of my kind - as you say, sir - looting your home."

"Aeldir are of a kind to want to believe everything spoken; lies are anathema to us. So I believe you sir; but your information makes little sense to me at this time, and only creates doubt. You wish for freedom. You wish for independence. I can respect these things. You wish for recompense of some type for a wrong that has been done to you. I can understand this. You wish for a deal to be struck; to negotiate. I not only understand these things, but I welcome them. If I could offer you something of value, given my station, I would. But the most I can do is provide a promise to allow you to speak with Lady Spring herself, should you be willing to await the time it would take for me to get a message to her."

Rhona came back up from under the table, slowly, and without malice, her face still calm, as she continued to speak. She looked at the Crown of Swords, "I could not offer you Fireheart, though it is in the possession of the Demesne; Lord Summer wields it, and he is more likely to die than to give it up, so your respect for our ability to acquire it and your words that we may keep it have been noted. I could possibly provide reason for you to reclaim your notes and scrolls that we found; though as mentioned, it is likely their value - that of secrecy - is diminished. But unlike Queen Phelnia and Primus, I do not have the sway to make promises for the entire Demesne. Not without cause."

"You have asked for land from Primus. You have asked for nothing from the Demesne; yet you have called us thieves. Unrepentant ones, yes?" Rhona at last smiled, her eyes distant. "Perhaps your views are not wholly incorrect. Aeldir often have different views on many things then the other races, though we do recognize skill, power, and - within the Spring and Autumn Courts - the need for allies. If the Moonlit Tower is your own, and if you did manage to see other Spring Girls enter it and empty it, even while traveling afar. Or was your exit in haste just before they arrived?"

"Answer these questions - simple ones, I assure you, good sir - and I shall have the proof I need to perhaps be able to listen to the requests you make of the Courts. And feel empowered enough to negotiate a deal."

Rhona gazed back upon the man, and asked, "How many bedrooms did we find in the tower? Of those bedrooms, how many were well tended? In what language were the books and scrolls written in? And... do you like islands, or will only the desert of the Tower do?"

QuintonBeck
2016-06-27, 08:04 PM
"Three, all but only one was mine, and my notes were not in a language but a code. You must have decent minds to have cracked it," at the final question the man once more cocked an eyebrow, "I've traveled many places, deserts, islands, jungles, and arctic tundras alike. I've slept many places but only the Tower is my home."

"Now you say you can offer me nothing little thief, but I admit I've been searching for some item that might give me the ability to slide off of a chair and hide under a table. Truly that was remarkable and on par with my own abilities accrued through over a century of labor," he smiled in such a way to hold back a laugh, "You ask me many questions little imp despite myself being the wronged party. I have seen backwards and savage justice in my time but this is perhaps the grandest display of incompetence I've yet to encounter. I have been more than forthcoming with each of you but I will not hand over every bit of knowledge I have fought and worked to attain simply to satisfy the curiosity of thieves. If you do not believe my words now there is nothing more I can show you to prove otherwise. The question remains, will you grant me recompense for your thievery or am I to be branded an enemy? It has been a long time since I've had a living enemy."

HalfTangible
2016-06-27, 08:07 PM
"Not power dear, freedom. The freedom and independence of a monarch among their subjects. A liberation from whatever laws and customs your people ascribe to. That you cannot follow my desires clearly, for independence and freedom to act of my own accord without interference is no one's fault but your own. You are the one who puts power upon the table but temporal power over kingdoms is fleeting. I know that too well."

"I did not ask for, I do not want kingship. I want recognition and absolution to petty laws crafted by your hand or your nobles as befitting a true monarch of power and prestige. Perhaps it was my folly in assuming you held any true power at all. If power is held by your nobles then perhaps recognition as one of those is what I desire but recognition of myself, not some fleeting contract of marriage to some lady of your court."

The man cocked an eyebrow as the Iron Gauntlet were brought up, "A noble band the Gauntlet. I met them decades ago and paid them with a curious trinket they greatly desired for their aid in liberating a more useful artifact from a stubborn tyrant. I'm not surprised they're still around though I am that you have heard of them. They never seemed eager to leave their caves quite some distance from these lands. Of course it's been so long perhaps things have changed."

The man leaned forward, "You say you plan to pursue these artifacts. Do you even know where to start? From what I've seen all you've done is follow the path I drew for you. You took step five in a five step process. Hardly an impressive accomplishment or one I feel the need to concern myself with. While you offer aid in collecting these items and assure me first look I have no reason to trust your word. So far all I know of you is that you are thieves. Unrepentant thieves at that. Why should I trust your word?"

"The right to break my law as you please is off the table." She growled. "Even the kings of other lands must obey the laws of the lands they are in. I can offer diplomatic immunity, at best."

She bit back her response that 'Aske' was the perfect name for an Arcanist's House, as well as her venomous retort about the nature of power. "Becoming a Lord is more reasonable but you would have responsibilities to these lands, and just said you want no political ties. That is the whole reason I offered you an already established House to load your responsibilities onto. Have her mark you as her heir and you'll be set."

"The Iron Gauntlet I know is a band of assassins. They work in exchange for favors; burn someone's name in a fire, they'll kill them soon with an iron coin to mark the deed." Her eyes narrowed. "And recently, they killed Branwen Morrig. A child not even through her third winter. Through an arcane ritual of the children of the earth, she has been revived. However, it cost the life of her mother and Lady Autumn, and the attempt cannot be tolerated."

The light seemed to drain from the room. "I DO NOT TOLERATE BABY KILLERS."

For a few moments, Phelnia bristled with barely suppressed rage. She deflated, and sighed. "I am... livid with the Gauntlet, but I am more eager to find out who ordered the original hit. A mad dog must be put down, yes," Her fists dug grooves into the bark of the table, "But I want whoever let them off the leash." She took another sip.

She smirked and set her tea cup down. "As a matter of fact my good man, I know several places we can begin. I will tell you of all of them if you agree to work with the Imperium, but for now I will only tell you of one."

"Primus recently discovered a race of beings known as the Archivists. Their existence is built on the collection of tomes that claim to know the history of the world; religious and secular, true and false, they hoard it like a dragon hoards gemstones. The Tomb of Pallindor is located to the east, and yet Fireheart had moonsilver in its construction; as such, the Empire must have held both of these lands under its sway. The Archivists are ancient beings; they surely have information of some kind on it. I intend to search their archives to find leads on the old Empire that once ruled these lands. They are not happy about it, but they have agreed in exchange for knowledge of my own and a promise to not remove knowledge from their Vault."

She leaned in to return his death glare. "You can trust me because there is no reason for me to lie to you. In my eyes, I have done nothing wrong to you; you know this. I would like your help in finding the Iron Gauntlet or the artifacts, but I do not require it. I find you distasteful and the thought of having to deal with your company long term makes my skin crawl. I am only offering to repay you because you feel wronged, and I wish to show that I deal in good faith whenever possible, and give recompense when not. I have no reason to offer you carrots save that I sincerely wish to make up for the issue you perceive, and yet I dangle them before you."

"And if I did screw you over after making a deal like this, you would probably come for my head. It's much simpler to ignore you and begin the search on my own."

"Call me a thief all you wish, I don't care how many times you're wrong."

"Why should we trust yours?" Rhona said quietly. "You have shown up, making claims. We have no proof. You can make yourself appear and disappear, but with enough skill..."

Rhonda, sitting in her seat, suddenly moved. It did not have the same effect as the man's staff, but one second she was sitting in her chair, and the next she was not. From under the table, they heard her voice though, "...many can do something similar. You have also said that you were traveling, yet you have mentioned you saw others of my kind - as you say, sir - looting your home."

"Aeldir are of a kind to want to believe everything spoken; lies are anathema to us. So I believe you sir; but your information makes little sense to me at this time, and only creates doubt. You wish for freedom. You wish for independence. I can respect these things. You wish for recompense of some type for a wrong that has been done to you. I can understand this. You wish for a deal to be struck; to negotiate. I not only understand these things, but I welcome them. If I could offer you something of value, given my station, I would. But the most I can do is provide a promise to allow you to speak with Lady Spring herself, should you be willing to await the time it would take for me to get a message to her."

Rhona came back up from under the table, slowly, and without malice, her face still calm, as she continued to speak. She looked at the Crown of Swords, "I could not offer you Fireheart, though it is in the possession of the Demesne; Lord Summer wields it, and he is more likely to die than to give it up, so your respect for our ability to acquire it and your words that we may keep it have been noted. I could possibly provide reason for you to reclaim your notes and scrolls that we found; though as mentioned, it is likely their value - that of secrecy - is diminished. But unlike Queen Phelnia and Primus, I do not have the sway to make promises for the entire Demesne. Not without cause."

"You have asked for land from Primus. You have asked for nothing from the Demesne; yet you have called us thieves. Unrepentant ones, yes?" Rhona at last smiled, her eyes distant. "Perhaps your views are not wholly incorrect. Aeldir often have different views on many things then the other races, though we do recognize skill, power, and - within the Spring and Autumn Courts - the need for allies. If the Moonlit Tower is your own, and if you did manage to see other Spring Girls enter it and empty it, even while traveling afar. Or was your exit in haste just before they arrived?"

"Answer these questions - simple ones, I assure you, good sir - and I shall have the proof I need to perhaps be able to listen to the requests you make of the Courts. And feel empowered enough to negotiate a deal."

Rhona gazed back upon the man, and asked, "How many bedrooms did we find in the tower? Of those bedrooms, how many were well tended? In what language were the books and scrolls written in? And... do you like islands, or will only the desert of the Tower do?"

Phelnia smirked and leaned back in her chair. She didn't remember most of the answers to those questions, but Rhona would not have asked if she didn't know. It was a simple test, but a clever one; the man was unlikely to know how many beds were well-tended if he had only recently found the tower.

Phelnia waited until he had given his (presumably correct) answers.

"I have no reason to name you my enemy until you do so for me, nameless one." She steepled her fingers together. "Now, I asked about the Iron Gauntlet because of their ability to receive orders via fire. That is an impressive ability, something I would normally attribute to an artifact like Fireheart or this crown." She placed said Crown back on her head. "In fact, I think that is exactly what it is. I'd like to ask for your aid in determining what it is and how to trace it back to its master."

"We find the artifact, and not only do we find the Gauntlet, but we may very well find a record of who's hired them. And you get the artifact itself to study and tinker with as you please."

"Would you consider that fair recompense?"

Gengy
2016-06-27, 08:15 PM
"The High Queen's point is well made." Rhona said carefully. "We already have many enemies. It is unlikely the Courts do wish to add another at this time. We would rather be friends then enemies."

"So please, honored sir, whatever you think of me and my impish ways, state your desires of the Rose Demesne. If it is not in my power to grant, then I promise you I shall take those wishes to Lady Spring. But yes... if you wish these negotiations to go smoothly, I do encourage you to consider Queen Phelnia's own requests."

QuintonBeck
2016-06-27, 09:39 PM
The man glanced side to side as if searching for a sympathetic face as Phelnia screamed about some dead baby he'd never heard of. Then she spoke the Archivists, an interesting sounding people and once more insisted that because he had not been home it had not been stealing. He still wasn't sure how he followed the logic. By her own admission her cousin had been driven mad by the Tower and its door hidden for as long as it could be yet somehow by waiting for the door to open then rushing in and looting the place while he wasn't there she was a paragon of virtue and someone he had no reason to doubt the word of. Finally she spoke of the ability of the Gauntlet and he openly rolled his eyes.

"I'm beginning to think you don't really have anything to offer me nor do I think you respect the position you are in or the abilities I possess. I can see you aren't very intelligent or possessing of the ability to listen and comprehend my words if you think I don't know about the Gauntlet's ability to see through flames. You clearly think I'm here because I have to be or that I want to work with you. I don't, on either count. I would have but if you think I care about a dead baby or your intolerance of it you've severely misread the situation."

The man stood and pursed his lips in disappointment, "I'll find out what you know about any items myself. I'll drive your people out of my desert myself. I'll watch you flounder against the Gauntlet but do nothing myself. And I shall be certain I acquire whatever you do find before you have the chance to."

"Now you, little imp," he turned towards Lady Rhona, "I desire from you what I desired from Queen Phelnia. Freedom, independence, and no further attempts to rob me. Can you promise this? My brother says Lady Spring is a reasonable enough sort assuming this one is the same I'd imagine I'm not asking too much. I haven't even abducted any of her people as he has."

Gengy
2016-06-27, 10:25 PM
Rhona stood. She actually reduced in height, by standing upon the floor, rather then sitting in the chair as she had. She realized this, and carefully climbed atop the chair to look the strange man in the eyes. "You are brother to the Green Man."

It was not a question. If anything, it was a consideration. Rhona appeared thoughtful for a second, before bowing deeply, her eyes still upon the visitor. "Brother of the Green Man, we have given our acknowledgment that your sibling is accorded the respect of being ruler of an independent nation. For this, he answered questions directly to Lady Spring. It also makes you tied to an agreement we have already given, if very thinly. But many have walked upon thinner lines, and the Autumn Court is known to thrive upon them. This does afford me additional control. Let me then answer you clearly:

I cannot give you what you ask. For you already have the freedom to travel to foreign lands, the independence to speak with representatives of mighty nations, and had we known you were related to the one who we acknowledge as ruling Green Man's Isle, we would not have been so bold as to take what we wanted without payment. What I can promise you is: I shall personally write to Lady Spring, and convince her that those of the Courts shall not come close again to the Moonlit Tower without invitation. I do not see it taking much in the way of convincing. She is still the same as when she met your brother, and it was her that cracked your code. By all reports, she found it... an afternoon well spent."

Coming up from her bow, Rhona began to look pensive. "Now that I consider it though, it was after cracking that code that she became more reclusive, to the point of being almost hidden for several years. I do not know what she has been doing; none within the Spring Court could figure it out, which is a testament itself to her skill, in my opinion. Were I to speculate, though... perhaps I was wrong before. Perhaps someone has gotten farther with your research? You would have to speak with her to find out for sure. She may very well be delighted to meet you."

"But please... would you not reconsider aiding us with the Gauntlet? We have reason to believe that there are two sects, and while one holds to the older code of their supposed ancient order, the newer sect seems to revel in the kill and prolonged chaos. It is to the newer sect that our grief and anger is aimed. From our view, they are abusing their power to terrorize the world, and stealing something more precious than any trinket: life. For information on how they beget their evil - knowledge on ways to find out who is sending them requests for their marks - the Demesne would be willing to pay a hefty price; even if it cost me my position here in the Imperium, I would spend days and weeks and months and years - if needed - extolling the virtues of your Desert being your own, and none other. Queen Phelnia - and the people who live within the sands there - will likely disagree with me, I am sure. But I will work myself tirelessly till they see my point of view, for even just a little evidence that helps us track down the Rotten Gauntlet's ilk and those who use them. It would make Arandi a safer place by far."

QuintonBeck
2016-06-29, 10:41 AM
For the first time since his arrival the man looked genuinely interested in the words being spoken. As Rhona spoke of both his brother and the possibility of Lady Spring's fruitful research he seemed nearly enraptured. Then she spoke again of the Iron Gauntlet and as she espoused the virtues of a life he audibly laughed.

"A safer place? I don't care about making Arandi safer. Do you know how the Gauntlet works? No, I suppose not."

"I do not fear the Gauntlet nor do I have any desire to stop them from killing whoever it is chosen to die. While I am intrigued by your Lady's apparent progress regarding my studies and her knowledge of my brother I do not desire to betray a friendship earned long ago with a group whose actions are as that of the sun and stars. Death comes for all of us, while I may have defeated time a clever killer might still bring me to my end. I do not desire this, and it would be unwise for the killer, but I accept its truth. There is no greater good or purpose in life aside from death. It is what we live to fight and what we all wait for to come."

"The Gauntlet may have divided but from what you say it is the sect you wish destroyed with whom my agreement most clearly stands. I will not aid you there. However, if what you say of my brother and your lady's research is true I may be willing to arrange a deal for your benefit. As to you Queen Phelnia, perhaps I might make one final offer. Payment for your removal. A one time purchasing price that will remove your presence from my Tower and its desert."

HalfTangible
2016-06-29, 11:07 AM
For the first time since his arrival the man looked genuinely interested in the words being spoken. As Rhona spoke of both his brother and the possibility of Lady Spring's fruitful research he seemed nearly enraptured. Then she spoke again of the Iron Gauntlet and as she espoused the virtues of a life he audibly laughed.

"A safer place? I don't care about making Arandi safer. Do you know how the Gauntlet works? No, I suppose not."

"I do not fear the Gauntlet nor do I have any desire to stop them from killing whoever it is chosen to die. While I am intrigued by your Lady's apparent progress regarding my studies and her knowledge of my brother I do not desire to betray a friendship earned long ago with a group whose actions are as that of the sun and stars. Death comes for all of us, while I may have defeated time a clever killer might still bring me to my end. I do not desire this, and it would be unwise for the killer, but I accept its truth. There is no greater good or purpose in life aside from death. It is what we live to fight and what we all wait for to come."

"The Gauntlet may have divided but from what you say it is the sect you wish destroyed with whom my agreement most clearly stands. I will not aid you there. However, if what you say of my brother and your lady's research is true I may be willing to arrange a deal for your benefit. As to you Queen Phelnia, perhaps I might make one final offer. Payment for your removal. A one time purchasing price that will remove your presence from my Tower and its desert."

Phelnia had mostly glowered as Rhona and this man bargained. And she was very, very worried about Rhona's proposal to plead the man's case until Primus' mind was changed.

Rhona had handled her initial duels well enough, but those had been meant to challenge her presence, not to actively harm her. It was unlikely she would last long if she spent her days espousing views as radical to the Primal as 'you should accept your defeat and pull out'. She would have to be sent home (if that would even stop her). And Phelnia did not relish informing Aleuta of why.

She also found the girl's presence... comforting. Aleuta was practically a sister. Rhona felt like... like a niece.

Moreover... something was screaming in Phelnia's mind. A danger sense. 'This man is going to kill you all! RUN, RUN RUN!' Phelnia was never much for following her gut, but she believed it this time; If he had the power to drive House Aske out of the desert (unlikely, but possible) then she would have no choice but to war with him if that happened.

Lady Navus would likely want his tower destroyed, so that he had no reason to return. Illydae would want to make him beg for the Dullahan's careful tender touch.

... So a Green Man, and this Moonlit Ma- let's just called him Tsukijin. Who was the third bed for?

As the man spoke, Phelnia raised an eyebrow. ... Well. Here comes the actual demand.

"... I'm listening. What payment did you have in mind, Tsukijin*? You've already rejected the offers I've made as worthless."

---

*Roughly 'Person of the Moon', in Quintas' tongue. (Would've done 'tower', but that's just 'tawa')

Gengy
2016-06-29, 11:24 AM
Rhona waited for Queen Phelnia to finish, and was privately glad she did not have to tout the virtues of this man, for he was frustrating in his way. Yet if he could have been helpful in removing the foulness from the Iron Gauntlet - something that may still be possible, if inadvisable to bring up at this time - it behooved Rhona to do whatever she could. "And I too listen, wise one. I have no proof for you on the speculation of Lady Spring's work. I can, however, say that when the Green Man reviewed the contract we gave him to sign, he dumped all the ink on to his hand, and slapped it over the contract as a form of agreement. If this sounds like your sibling, then I hope that is proof enough for the moment. A copy of the contract could be found, given enough time."

QuintonBeck
2016-06-29, 02:01 PM
"It's always interesting how long it takes for someone to give you a name," the man mused for a moment, "I can't say I'm especially fond of it but if that's your language I suppose that's your language. I'll give you this staff and you can retain your presence along the edges and oases of the desert. In return you will leave me and my Tower alone. Forever."

As Rhona spoke of the 'Green Man' and his signature he chuckled, "Count your blessings he used the ink and didn't make his own from your lady's neck. My brother is an unpredictable and cantankerous sort. I would like to see what he stamped his hand to and any information you might have as to where his island is now. It's been a while since we've had a family reunion."

HalfTangible
2016-06-29, 02:19 PM
"It's always interesting how long it takes for someone to give you a name," the man mused for a moment, "I can't say I'm especially fond of it but if that's your language I suppose that's your language. I'll give you this staff and you can retain your presence along the edges and oases of the desert. In return you will leave me and my Tower alone. Forever."

As Rhona spoke of the 'Green Man' and his signature he chuckled, "Count your blessings he used the ink and didn't make his own from your lady's neck. My brother is an unpredictable and cantankerous sort. I would like to see what he stamped his hand to and any information you might have as to where his island is now. It's been a while since we've had a family reunion."Phelnia shrugged. "It basically means 'man of the moon', as in 'moonlit tower'. I can pick something else."

Phelnia's mouth dropped open. After all of this, he was offering his staff. ".... Truly?" She sounded perplexed. "I... how surprising. If you are certain, and this staff does what you claim, then yes. I... will inform Lady Aske of this bargain. I will also forbid further settlement of the desert. She won't be happy about it, but that's my problem; settlers beyond the first oases on the edge will be moved, as you wish."

"... But, it will take some time to move the more deeply settled."

Gengy
2016-06-29, 02:38 PM
"And it would take time to get an accurate copy of the contract between the Courts and the Green Man; one with the hand print properly recreated. Otherwise, the original would likely be available within Tir Amser, were you to visit Lady Spring there." Rhona said carefully. "As to your other request, I have a copy of our findings on Green Man's Isle, and it's movements. If it pleases you, I believe that I could locate it and be able to make an informed guess as to where the island might show up next."

"Though are you not worried that if you visited, you would not be able to leave? Many of the Spring Court live upon Green Man's Isle now; some by choice, but most because they are no longer able to leave, and your sibling was not forthcoming with his method of visiting us. He felt that such knowledge in our hands would put him in danger."

QuintonBeck
2016-06-29, 05:38 PM
The man nodded towards Phelnia and laid the staff on the table before turning to Rhona, "The hand print won't be necessary and you know where I stay. Just leave a copy on the door in the next couple of years."

He wrinkled his brow in confusion then the tension eased into another laugh, "No, I'm not worried about that old trick."

HalfTangible
2016-06-29, 06:34 PM
The man nodded towards Phelnia and laid the staff on the table before turning to Rhona, "The hand print won't be necessary and you know where I stay. Just leave a copy on the door in the next couple of years."

He wrinkled his brow in confusion then the tension eased into another laugh, "No, I'm not worried about that old trick."

Phelnia took the staff into her hands. "I will inform Lady Aske, and we will begin to move. Your tower will not be disturbed further (by the Imperium, anyway) and you'll have your desert back within..." She paused, running some quick calculations in her head. "...let's say a year, I can manage that. There's not too many people out there."

"... For what it's worth, you'll be welcome back in the Imperium if you so desire. Though I doubt it. Thank you for talking with me."

Gengy
2016-06-29, 06:59 PM
"If it is just a copy you wish, then a copy you shall have. Do you wish to wait for me to find the charts that show where the Isle will appear next, as far as we of the Spring Court are aware?" Rhona sat back down, satisfied. This had gone well; not fantastic, but well. It would, of course, have gone better if the man would have told her how to get off Green Man's Isle, but again... not pressing the matter on this one seemed smart.

QuintonBeck
2016-07-04, 05:10 PM
"I think it might perhaps be best I meet your Lady Spring. I wish to understand what she discovered from my writings. I will pay her a visit in a few years and drag my brother along with me if you provide me those charts."

I have NPC actions to do, Skull of Towers to post in, birthday plans to make, and a d&d session to plan for so consider this thread pretty much done.

Half the staff provides +2 to Secret Action rolls.