PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Magic Items for Moon Druids?

Corinath
2016-06-26, 08:48 PM
Hey everyone!

One of the players in my campaign is a Moon Druid. I was wondering if there are any magic items that somehow have great synergy with wild shape since wild shape pretty much absorbs them or drops them to the ground.

Thanks! :)

SharkForce
2016-06-26, 10:23 PM
wild shape is one small class feature of druids (yes, even for moon druids).

but in any event, items that cast spells with a duration could be useful. potions, wands, etc.

there's also some sort of charm that turns your natural attacks while wildshaped into a +1 weapon, basically. specific rules for it are in one of the adventure books, but i mean, honestly, do you *really* need an in-depth description of +X to attack and damage?

Farecry
2016-06-27, 01:01 AM
My DM created a once per day attunement item for our Druid that allowed them to wildshape into a giant eagle pre level 8. Others could use it with an arcana check, so it's not completely useless once they hit flight level.

RickAllison
2016-06-27, 01:09 AM
If you search, there was an entire mini-guide about this a few months back. Some good ones:

Weapon of Warning: you don't need to wield this, you just need to carry it. No surprise and with other bonuses.

Rod of Absorption: gotta love absorbing spells.

Staff of Defense: especially nice for Land Druids, the bonuses to AC make for much greater resilience.

Staff of the Woodlands: On the one hand, many of the powers here are redundant. On the other, you get more of them. Most importantly, you get free castings of Awaken so you can form a small army of critters.

Sentinel Shield: Perception and initiative advantage, that's awesome.

Just about any robe, they are all at least decent for a Druid.

Amulet of Health: more health for your base form, but even more important for your animal forms, as well as some save DCs. The giant poisonous snake, for example, gains 6 hp and +3 to his poison DC. The Giant Wasp gets even better, gaining +4 to poison DC and almost doubles its hp. That's a dang good boost.

JackOfAllBuilds
2016-06-27, 04:06 AM
Magic item from the HotDQ: Insignia of Claws

The jewels in the insignia of the Cult of the Dragon flare with purple light when you enter combat, empowering your natural fists or natural weapons.
While wearing the insignia you gain a +1 bonus to the attack rolls and the damage rolls you make with unarmed strikes and natural weapons. Such attacks are considered to be magical.

Source: Hoard of the Dragon Queen, page 94

hymer
2016-06-27, 04:21 AM
If you search, there was an entire mini-guide about this a few months back.

I think you may mean this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?478154-Magical-Items-for-Druids-a-commentary-for-players-and-DMs-of-druids). :smallsmile:

Socratov
2016-06-27, 06:00 AM
having played a moon druid i can tell you that you want either of 2 things:

things that improve your tanking while not wildshaped (and in some cases even while wildshaped)
things that improve your ability in carrying stuff

1 - I made wooden armour for my druid. In the campaign we found some ironwood. Realising its potential with a healthy smattering of woodworker's knowledge (and my character is from the timber clan of forest gnomes, so yes he would have access to that knoweldge, hailing from a clan of woodworkers where you get and hold your tools before you can walk) and designed ironwood armour in the form of scale, plate, half plate and splint/banded mail armour. In practise the ironwood armour would look like heavy armour, but be lighter and confer less of a AC boost, on the other hand it did not have the stealth penalty and the STR demand (though you may want to rule othersie). In story my character got as the designer a small licensing fee and one set of armour for free a long as I was willing to help design more stuff and cultivate the ironwood. What it did was make the non wildshaped form harder to hit, allowing me to actually cast somwhat near the frontlines. other stuff includes amybe an amulet of barksking or something that confers a new AC calculation or bonus that works when wildshaped. Most forms have lousy AC, getting hit on a 14 or lower. so, that could make wildshaping more interesting.

2 - A bag of holdin gor lortable hole shall always be helpful for an adventurer. Wethe rit is to gather stuff you couldn't carry in the first place or to transport stuff unseen by anyone, it's always a great idea to stock up on one, or even both.

Corinath
2016-06-27, 10:18 AM
Thank you everyone!

Oddly, I did try to do a search and I couldn't come up with anything. I may have just rolled a 1 on google-fu.

Thank you! :)

GraveShock
2021-02-26, 02:11 PM
A little late to the party, but here is a cool item... Necklet of the Moon. It essentially allows for an extra Wild Shape, or perhaps Wild Shaping into a stronger beast...

I can't post a link, but it's at stuffershack.com... Necklet of the Moon.

DarknessEternal
2021-02-26, 02:24 PM
Saddle of the Cavalier.

If someone is sitting in the saddle, everyone has disadvantage to hit the mount. Moon Druids can be many mount shaped critters.

KorvinStarmast
2021-02-26, 03:08 PM
Saddle of the Cavalier.

If someone is sitting in the saddle, everyone has disadvantage to hit the mount. Moon Druids can be many mount shaped critters.
This one, nice catch.
Also:
The Moon Sickle which gives +1 to Druid Spell Save DC's and attacks.

A Moon Druid is still a full spell caster. :smallcool: