PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fire Emblem Spells (WIP) [PEACH]

DracoKnight
2016-06-26, 10:39 PM
Here's the link (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJ487N2w)! Please share any comments, questions, or concerns! I'll be adding to this over the next couple of days! :smallbiggrin:

DracoKnight
2016-06-27, 12:05 AM
I came here expecting to see pure utter sh!t... Surprisingly...you made something decent for once...

Actually, you have my sincerest apologies. I've been off my anti-psychotics, because they make me cloudy, and I don't like that...I took them earlier, and what seemed perfectly reasonable when I was off them....well, I feel like a really sh!tty human being. I'm sorry DracoKnight. :smallfrown:

No permanent harm done, I'm glad you've done what you need to to help yourself :smallsmile:

GandalfTheWhite
2016-06-27, 04:25 AM
Please tell me that levin sword is on the wizard spell list.

DracoKnight
2016-06-27, 04:26 AM
Please tell me that levin sword is on the wizard spell list.

Everyone but the Druid.

GandalfTheWhite
2016-06-27, 04:27 AM
Everyone but the Druid.

F*CK YES!

*composes self*

So, um, one thing I would tweak: allow it to work with any simple or martial weapon - so long as it doesn't possess the heavy property - so that the Bladesinger styles that they mentioned in the SCAG can be fully realized without being MAD as hell.

DracoKnight
2016-06-27, 05:58 AM
F*CK YES!

*composes self*

So, um, one thing I would tweak: allow it to work with any simple or martial weapon - so long as it doesn't possess the heavy property - so that the Bladesinger styles that they mentioned in the SCAG can be fully realized without being MAD as hell.

I would actually probably allow this - I specified swords for flavor mainly :smalltongue:

Inevitability
2016-06-30, 09:01 AM
Link's not working for me. Could you post the material here?

FMLest1998
2016-06-30, 01:36 PM
A minor suggestion: make the damage die of Levin sword 1d10. Shillelagh sets the damage die 2 die size higher than the lower option, and 1 die size higher than the higher option. This would remain consistent with that. It's only mechanically more powerful by an average of 1 damage. That's not incredibly broken, and it's a mechanical boon to wielding a longsword with this cast (since features that reset the damage die negate the Versatile property). So, just as a thing, I think 1d10 should be fine - it also keeps in line with Martial weapons being better than Simple, if you need a more solid balance reason to why it's "better" than shillelagh.

DracoKnight
2016-06-30, 01:40 PM

I will see what I can do to fix it :smallsmile:

A minor suggestion: make the damage die of Levin sword 1d10. Shillelagh sets the damage die 2 die size higher than the lower option, and 1 die size higher than the higher option. This would remain consistent with that. It's only mechanically more powerful by an average of 1 damage. That's not incredibly broken, and it's a mechanical boon to wielding a longsword with this cast (since features that reset the damage die negate the Versatile property). So, just as a thing, I think 1d10 should be fine - it also keeps in line with Martial weapons being better than Simple, if you need a more solid balance reason to why it's "better" than shillelagh.

interesting points.

DracoKnight
2016-06-30, 02:50 PM
I have implemented the 1d10 damage die.

DracoKnight
2016-06-30, 10:53 PM

Here you go (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B66RprYE6_HHdXB4QUxLRDlhYUE/view?usp=sharing), Dire_Stirge! :smallsmile:

DracoKnight
2016-07-09, 03:23 PM
Are there any further thoughts to the balancing of these?

JNAProductions
2016-07-09, 03:29 PM
Arc Tome is wordly badly. As written, it's an action to activate it, thenno action to use the effects. I'd make it a bonus action to activate, and then an action to use the effect. Also, Arcfire is too much-it cripples grapplers HARD.

Levin's Mystical Sword is just Shillegah+. Admittedly, one damage won't break the game, but why is it just Shillegah+?

Revlid
2016-07-11, 08:04 AM
Why is Levin Sword just a better Shillelagh?

Yes, the base weapon you're using is better and less easily-available than the base weapon being used for Shillelagh, but Shillelagh is a Druid-exclusive spell for a reason – it's really good at letting casters wade in and smack people, which is something Druids and Blade Pact Warlocks are supposed to be able to do, and Wizards or Sorcerers are definitely not. Hell, consider what the existence of this spell does to Eldritch Knights.

There's a typo in Arc Tome – it says that it "cotains the arcane glyphs". You might as well centralise the damage in the main description – it's only the type and side-effect that changes.

It also seems to be just... three Cantrips in one. I don't get it. Each of these spells looks like a perfectly fine Cantrip on its own, so why do I get access to all three by learning a single Cantrip? Those slots are at a premium. It seems like these should either be definitely sub-par options to make up for the flexibility, or come with some other drawback.

MoleMage
2016-07-19, 05:31 PM
I would make Levin Sword's duration one round. You get a strictly better weapon (essentially a two-handed longsword wielded in one hand) and remove MAD for a full minute with one bonus action? If you use up your bonus action to activate it each round, it at least eats into your action economy a little bit.

Other than that I like them. I came in expecting equipment, not cantrips. Was pleasantly surprised to see it works this way.

DracoKnight
2016-07-19, 06:07 PM
I would make Levin Sword's duration one round. You get a strictly better weapon (essentially a two-handed longsword wielded in one hand) and remove MAD for a full minute with one bonus action? If you use up your bonus action to activate it each round, it at least eats into your action economy a little bit.

The only thing about that is shillelagh already works the way that Levin Sword works. Yes, this gives you 1d10 one-handed, but that's 1 point of damage on average.

Other than that I like them. I came in expecting equipment, not cantrips. Was pleasantly surprised to see it works this way.

I'm glad you like them! Yeah, I didn't want them to be equipment. If they were equipment, then the DM could put a barrier on your ability to access that equipment, but as cantrips, they're readily available.

Revlid
2016-07-21, 07:45 AM
The only thing about that is shillelagh already works the way that Levin Sword works. Yes, this gives you 1d10 one-handed, but that's 1 point of damage on average.Yeah, so it's just a better version of shillelagh, which it shouldn't be because:
a) Why would you make a cantrip that is just a better version of an existing cantrip?
b) Druids are meant to be able to casually smack people up close, and Wizards are not.

I'm glad you like them! Yeah, I didn't want them to be equipment. If they were equipment, then the DM could put a barrier on your ability to access that equipment, but as cantrips, they're readily available.
Again – why are you getting three different attack cantrips for the price of one?

DracoKnight
2016-07-21, 12:28 PM
Yeah, so it's just a better version of shillelagh, which it shouldn't be because:
a) Why would you make a cantrip that is just a better version of an existing cantrip?
b) Druids are meant to be able to casually smack people up close, and Wizards are not.

Well, there are many cantrips that are already better versions of each other, arguably. That's not my reasoning, however. My reasoning is that Martial weapons SHOULD be better than simple weapons. And most wizards would not take this cantrip, you're right. However, it's a decent boon to a Bladesinger.

Again – why are you getting three different attack cantrips for the price of one?

Because this is how the other DMs at my table wanted it to function. We all created this one together, and decided that it would make it more interesting as a mechanical choice, since there is yet to be a cantrip that has options for you to choose. We just wanted to add some variety to the game.

And the reason we were making it in the first place is because a player in our group who is playing a Mastermind rogue wanted to build their character as Robin from FE: Awakening, using the Magic Initiate feat. So, one cantrip to give the basic spell tomes from FE.

JNAProductions
2016-07-21, 12:39 PM
Did I complain about Levin's before? Because you actually do have a point, Draco-it still requires proficiency in martial weapons to use properly, so yeah, I can see it being better than Shiellgah. And it is, after all, only one point of damage per attack.

DracoKnight
2016-07-21, 12:57 PM
Did I complain about Levin's before?

I don't think you did :smallsmile:

Because you actually do have a point, Draco-it still requires proficiency in martial weapons to use properly, so yeah, I can see it being better than Shiellgah. And it is, after all, only one point of damage per attack.

So, that in mind (even though this breaks from FE fluff) do you think that it would become too good if I expanded it to one-handed martial weapons to allow a bladesinger to pick up one of the other weapons, so that they can use some of the fluff styles from the SCAG, like the Eagle, Raven, Snake, etc.

EDIT: If it is too good, I won't.

JNAProductions
2016-07-21, 01:15 PM
I don't think you did :smallsmile:

So, that in mind (even though this breaks from FE fluff) do you think that it would become too good if I expanded it to one-handed martial weapons to allow a bladesinger to pick up one of the other weapons, so that they can use some of the fluff styles from the SCAG, like the Eagle, Raven, Snake, etc.

EDIT: If it is too good, I won't.

Honestly, any 1d8 martial weapon is fine. Mechanically, longsword is actually probably the strongest choice, due to Elven Weapon Proficiencies. So expanding it to other weapons is fine, as long as their base damage is 1d8.

DracoKnight
2016-07-21, 01:23 PM
Honestly, any 1d8 martial weapon is fine. Mechanically, longsword is actually probably the strongest choice, due to Elven Weapon Proficiencies. So expanding it to other weapons is fine, as long as their base damage is 1d8.

Okay, that makes sense :smallsmile:

DracoKnight
2016-07-29, 12:34 PM
What other Fire Emblem spells should I make?