PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder TWF vs Weapon Trick Stylish Riposte (optimization)

Seppo87
2016-06-27, 06:24 AM
TWF:
+ When you full attack you get extra attacks regardless of what the opponent does
+ You can do this as many times as you want per day against the same opponent
+ You're more likely to be flanking on your turn ratherthan on opponent's turn, if flanking is important for your build
- To-Hit is lower even on main attacks, this results in a -10% damage on average
- Need to enchant 2 weapons, this results in less damage with the same investment
- Power Attack is halved on secondary attacks
- Cannot use a shield not even Buckler resulting in lower AC
- Feat-heavy especially if going Double Slice
- Does not work without a Full Attack, which is not always possible

Stylish Riposte + Fortuitous Weapon:
+ No penalties to-hit
+ Does not require a Full Attack. You can move and still get extra attacks
+ Only enchant one weapon
+ Can use a Buckler since it leaves the hand free, resulting in higher AC
+ Full Power Attack and Full Strength on extra attacks (2 extra attacks with Fortuitous once per round)
+ Requires less feats
+ Weapon Trick has other uses beside damage
- Does not work if you don't get attacked AND missed by 5 or more (requires high ac)
- Only works once per enemy per day, so: good vs mooks, bad vs bosses
- Attacks outside of your turn will probably not benefit from flanking

Imho, in short,

TWF has the highest damage potential especially on prolonged fights with mostly stationary, low AC HP bags

Weapon Trick is more versatile and allow you to retain more mobility, costs less in both money and feats and while inferior on longer fights, the cost-benefit ratio in actual play is in its favor.

When Full-Attacking, at high levels, a TWFer will have 5 (4+Speed) main attacks and 3 off-hand attacks.
A one-handed fighter will only have 5 (4+speed)
That's a ratio of 5 vs 8 damage potential, however we must factor in the following:
1) the extra attacks are not worth the same as the main attacks, and the money is split in 2 weapons anyway, reducing the damage potential of each strike in general
2) the TWFer suffers a -2 to-hit with all attacks, it means that on average it will do 1/10 less damage
All in all, I'd say the comparison is about 5 vs 6.5 on a realistic full attack, not quite 5 vs 8
While this happens, the 1hander will have notably higher AC, AND much more space for other feats

This is my analysis. What do you think?

Florian
2016-06-27, 09:15 AM
This is my analysis. What do you think?

Problematic to agree or disagree due to the differences in class performance when it comes to using it.

It seems that weŽre talking about the Fighter class and that can get huge mileage out of TWF, even outside of a Full Attack, as the class can begin to use crit trigger/chain trigger feats at around 7th.
SnB TWF is a thing and has a good synergy going there, even more so once Shield Brace comes into it.

Stylish Riposte can only be used once per day/enemy and only under certain condition (Beat to hit roll by 5). YouŽll need extreme stats/class combos to actually capitalize on the on the same niveau SnB TWF can.

Psyren
2016-06-27, 09:25 AM
- Cannot use a shield not even Buckler resulting in lower AC

But what about shield bashing? Especially Shield Master. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shield-master-combat---final)

And yeah, the biggest variable here by far is the class you're using it on. Are we comparing Fighters? Rangers? Brawlers? Swashbucklers? Magi?

Seppo87
2016-06-27, 09:26 AM
In my specific case, I'm a Swasbuckler1 (insp. blade) SlayerX (stygian) and I've chosen Dex as my primary stat.
I'm using Fencing Grace.

My original plan was to go TWF but then Fencing Grace was nerfed, and I don't really feel like relying on 2 Agile weapons.
(and, for some reason, Unchained is not allowed)

At my next Slayer level I was thinking of choosing the Lamashtu style to get Power Attack and Cleaving Finish ignoring requirements, instead of TWF, for the reasons I stated above.
(I also have Lunge, and I will be using it with Blood Reader -which I have chosen for fluff and infiltration purposes, albeit technically useless- to make the best use out of Cleaving Finish)
Alternatively if Lamashtu gets vetoed by the GM I'll go THF style instead, so it's gonna be Power Attack and Great Cleave without requirements. I kind of like being a mobile striker able to take on many mooks at once. Also it might be cool to Great Cleave out of invisibility in a surprise round.
I'll also get Opportunist asap, which is also synergyc with a Fortuitous weapon

In my specific case I'm 100% sure the Weapon Trick route will do a better job in most situations.
However, I made this thread to discuss the comparison in general.

----

You're right, I didn't consider shield bashing.

Florian
2016-06-27, 09:44 AM
You're right, I didn't consider shield bashing.

You did not, as well as ignoring Shield Master and Bashing Finish on this one. Utilizing a high-crit weapon, that will become deadly. Utilizing a combat maneuver shield, even more so.

My personal opinion, but a Slayer should be played for maximum effect and this can have very disruptive effective for a given game table. What you describe is the low mechanical end of what can be done.

Seppo87
2016-06-27, 09:58 AM
My personal opinion, but a Slayer should be played for maximum effect and this can have very disruptive effective for a given game table
I'm not sure if you're advising or advicing against having a disruptive effect at my game table...?

We're playing RotRL by the way and the module has been pretty easy up to now (actually, we're going to fight xanesha next session, so who knows)
The GM is always complaining that we have an easy time. I don't think optimizing for maximum damage is going to be beneficial to this table.

Florian
2016-06-27, 10:40 AM
I'm not sure if you're advising or advicing against having a disruptive effect at my game table...?

"Slayer" and "fair" should never be mentioned in the same sentence. That class might seem simple, but it will, if played right, destroy a good chunk of game balance because its core class features hinge on that.

Actually Reading a Player Guide for an AP should give you a certain context and direction. For Rune Lords and a Slayer, that is, IŽm nasty here, easy as pie. If youŽre no child or extremely drunk, that matter should be clear

Seppo87
2016-06-27, 10:56 AM
If youŽre no child or extremely drunk, that matter should be clear
I'm neither, but I still don't get what your point is.
"don't play a slayer" ?

Florian
2016-06-27, 11:23 AM
I'm neither, but I still don't get what your point is.
"don't play a slayer" ?

My approach is very "dry". Getting into Slayer whole-hog enforces a style of play that will simply disregard the CR calculations for a given Adventure Path.
YouŽre no "dumb" newbie, so I think youŽll understand what I mean when mentioning the power of a class when being able to tackle the whole approach.

Seppo87
2016-06-27, 11:35 AM
YouŽre no "dumb" newbie, so I think youŽll understand what I mean when mentioning the power of a class when being able to tackle the whole approach.
Actually, I'm not really sure. What are exactly the problems of the Slayer class, can you be more specific - what it is that I shouldn't abuse, is it stealth? DpR? Ooc Favored Target bonuses?

I assume it's not Stealth or Skills, since a Rogue does the same stuff. Is it DpR then?