PDA

View Full Version : Alex Louis Armstrong build

Jgosse
2016-06-27, 08:22 AM
I want to build a brawling cleric based on Major Armstrong. The idea is brawling healer maybe with earth spells. So monk/cleric, barbarian/cleric, paladin or something else. I am leaning toward Goliath as race. I don't need it fully optimized but functional. What are peoples ideas?

Lombra
2016-06-27, 08:49 AM
Barb 2/monk X

Capitalize on strength and constitution

Elemental monk has stone spells so that could fill the fluff, or you can refluff current versions of the available spells so use the earth element instead of wind/fire/water.

To compensate the lack of AC I'd choose variant human with the tough feat, this way you'll be a damage sponge, much like the Major.

Easy_Lee
2016-06-27, 09:21 AM
I would just go elements monk and take the rock spells. If you want to be strong instead of dexterous, I'd ask the DM to replace unarmored defense with the barbarian version. But regardless of what you do, Tavern Brawler could be a nice feat choice on this character for mook throwing and unarmed strike grapples.

Lombra
2016-06-27, 09:32 AM
I would just go elements monk and take the rock spells. If you want to be strong instead of dexterous, I'd ask the DM to replace unarmored defense with the barbarian version. But regardless of what you do, Tavern Brawler could be a nice feat choice on this character for mook throwing and unarmed strike grapples.

I suggested the Barb 2 dip exactly for the constitution unarmed defense, and rages are always cool, tavern brawler helps a lot especially at early levels because it allows grapple to flurry, while a normal grapple won't let you activate bonus flurry until you get the extra attack.

Jgosse
2016-06-27, 10:45 AM
I was leaning more on cleric as the core as I want to have healing abilities. "heal you with the power of my mussels"

GlenSmash!
2016-06-27, 06:14 PM
If your'e looking to go cleric I would go Barbarian 2 for unarmored defense and reckless attack. Consider going to 5 for bear totem resistance and extra attack. Put the rest into cleric of your choice. If you like the heals, stick with Life cleric. They are the best at it. Re-fluff your Spiritual Weapon as punching stuff into rubble and punching/transmuting the chunks of rubble into little Armstrong faced bullets.

Goliath works fine for flavor of big strong guy, but I would go Variant human with Tavern Brawler so you can start punching stuff from the beginning. Soldier or Noble background both work fine for the Major.

Your going to have to deal with the MADness so decide if punching things or healing things is more important to you.

Are you rolling stats? you'll need STR and WIS both to 13 to multi-class Barb/Cleric.

Using the Standard Array. VHuman +1s ins STR and CON, and the +1 to STR or CON form Tavern Brawler you can start with STR 16, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 10. This would give you a naked AC of 14, which is respectable though not great. Adding Resilient WIS to round that score to 14 and gain proficiency is a good idea for any Barbarian and doubly good for this combo.

Of course with rolled stats you could give Alex the STR, CON, CHA that he truly deserves. In fact high CHA fits better than high WIS. Have you considered Barb/Paladin? Oath of Devotion fits Armstrong well. Oath of the Ancients could work too since these techniques have been passed down in the Armstrong Family for Generations.

JackOfAllBuilds
2016-06-28, 07:16 AM
I started a similar thread, and shared my ideas. You should look it over, and all the suggestions others made.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?489514-Ideas-for-the-StrongArm-Alchemist

Jgosse
2016-06-28, 07:20 AM
If your'e looking to go cleric I would go Barbarian 2 for unarmored defense and reckless attack. Consider going to 5 for bear totem resistance and extra attack. Put the rest into cleric of your choice. If you like the heals, stick with Life cleric. They are the best at it. Re-fluff your Spiritual Weapon as punching stuff into rubble and punching/transmuting the chunks of rubble into little Armstrong faced bullets.

Goliath works fine for flavor of big strong guy, but I would go Variant human with Tavern Brawler so you can start punching stuff from the beginning. Soldier or Noble background both work fine for the Major.

Your going to have to deal with the MADness so decide if punching things or healing things is more important to you.

Are you rolling stats? you'll need STR and WIS both to 13 to multi-class Barb/Cleric.

Using the Standard Array. VHuman +1s ins STR and CON, and the +1 to STR or CON form Tavern Brawler you can start with STR 16, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 10. This would give you a naked AC of 14, which is respectable though not great. Adding Resilient WIS to round that score to 14 and gain proficiency is a good idea for any Barbarian and doubly good for this combo.

Of course with rolled stats you could give Alex the STR, CON, CHA that he truly deserves. In fact high CHA fits better than high WIS. Have you considered Barb/Paladin? Oath of Devotion fits Armstrong well. Oath of the Ancients could work too since these techniques have been passed down in the Armstrong Family for Generations.

I have thought of straight paladin possibly barb paladin. Healing will be secondary so I just need the base line wisdom. and the earth style stuff would be bonus but unnecessary. Maybe paladin barbarian would be best. No armour, bare fisting or nuckle dusters if I can find them, high charisma and still have healing.

JackOfAllBuilds
2016-06-28, 06:57 PM
Odd build but Paladin, Oath of the Crown, Mariner fighting style (stop at level 8)
Dragon Sorcerer (up to level 12) and take a lot of the stone/earth spells
Use the Tavern Brawler feat

(Option, only take Sorc to 8, and add 4 levels of Bard to have inspirational pectorals)