PDA

View Full Version : Tree Child (Diminutive Fey) [Mitp]

Lakoda
2007-06-30, 09:40 PM
I've lurked here for a while but never really found something to say. I liked this MitP project so here's a little something. I'm not overly attached to a lot about these little guys, mostly just the feel of 'em. I'd love feedback as I've only ever shared my home brew stuff with my group. I've got a bunch more I'll probably post if this doesn't suck.
Anyways, enjoy!
~~Lakoda~~

Tree Child
Diminutive Fey
Hit Dice 3d6-6 (4 hp)
Speed 0 ft. (0 squares); Flutter 50ft. (poor; good with Gust); fly 10 ft. (poor)
Initiative: +12
Armor Class 22 (+8 dex, +4 size), touch 22, flat-footed 14; or with gust 26 (+8 dex, +4 size, +4 gust), touch 26, flat-footed 18
Base Attack Bonus +1; Grapple -13
Attack Slash +13 melee
Full-Attack Slash +13 (1/18-20/x3 plus 1d6 bleeding )
Space 1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks Augmented critical, bleed, slash, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities Damage reduction 5/cold iron, flock, flutter, gust, low-light vision, vulnerability to fire
Saves Fort -1, Ref +11, Will +7
Abilities Str 1, Dex 26, Con 7, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 15
Skills Balance +12, Concentration +1, Escape Artist +10, Hide +12, Knowledge (Nature) +6, Listen +6, Move Silently +12, Ride (wind) +14, Search +4, Spot +6, Survival +7, Tumble +12
Feats Combat Reflexes (B), Dodge, Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse (Slash) (B)
Environment Temperate forests
Organization Solitary (1), Group, small (2-4), Flock (10-20)
Challenge Rating 3
Treasure 20% coins; no gems; no art; 1% magical items
Alignment Any neutral
Advancement -; Favored Class -
Level Adjustment -

This creatures has the appearance of a shiny, almost glowing, large tree leaf fluttering on the wind, seemingly helplessly. In a small cyclone of wind, kicking up dust and leaves from the forest floor the Tree Children can be seen dancing as they strike opponents.

A Tree Child is a mischievous little sprite who was punished with banishment to the leaf of a large tree. Their punishment is not just a simple confinement or banishment, but a sentence of labor. They are tasked with the protection and day-to-day care of the trees, and that duty is paramount if they are ever to be release from their bondage.

The duties of a Tree Child range greatly. They will clean the tree, removing bugs or parasites that would harm the tree's health. Some say they are responsible for the turning of the colors seen in the leaves before fall. The Tree Child will also protect trees from greater threats from another creature, like a woodpecker or a logger. Woodland creatures are usually scared away with wind spells while larger sentient creatures are out right attacked.

The Tree Child will change color with the season to not stand out. During winter they will appear brown and will live amongst the forest floor close to the base of trees, venturing up to the bows to remove heavy snow and ice or watch as tree limbs snap under the weight. During the spring, summer and fall they will return to the bows appearing a light-green, a rich green, or a fall color respectively.

The Tree Children are bound to a life they did not want, many have been this way for decades. For many reasons they take out their frustration with their state on unknowing travelers, a helpless passerby, or any other random creature; usually singularly or in a small group. However they will band together in larger groups (or Flocks) rarely and usually only in the defense of trees, specifically the one they call their home or any whose species match their own.

It is a bizarre and deeply emotional bond a Tree Child has with the trees - this bond is a twisted emotional bond that carries no magical weight or enforcement. Tree Children will often pick a single tree of the same species to call home and will spend most of their time at rest amongst it's many leaves (depending on the season). Although they will show greater loyalty to trees of their species, this home tree has the greatest of their loyalty. They will look after a tree of a differing species if there is not any Tree Children of that type around and there isn't a threat to a tree of their species.

Glimmering somewhat themselves, in direct light, the have an attraction to all that shines. They will collect anything with a glint, such as coins or a big belt buckle, usually storing them in the joins or their home tree's branches or roots.

Some will say that it is a cruel joke being played on the poor sprites, as their task seems eternal as none have ever been release from it (or so the stories say). Nor, has their imprisonment forced them to protect a tree as many will give up from time to time only to turn back to their eternal task when hope returns.

Their aggression is not solely for the misplaced adventurer, they will squabble with Flocks of other species frequently. They only group by tree species and are rather spiteful to other species as they are very competitive when it comes to carrying out their duties.

COMBAT

Alone or in a small group they often will pick a lone or straggling creature and strike once (rarely twice and never more then a few times) and retreat. In stark contrast to a lone Tree Child, larger group or flock will encompass a particular creature and strike repeatedly, using Faerie Fire to help gain the advantage, until the creature falls. The use of Gust of Wind, Summon Nature's Ally, and Wall of Thorns will help to keep allies of the victim at bay. It is not unheard of for several Flocks to attack a group of wanderers, each Flock targeting one member of the group. Flocks mostly attack out of defence of a tree.

Augmented Critical (Ex): The Tree Child's slash threatens a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 18-20, dealing triple damage on a successful critical hit.
Bleed (Ex): On a successful critical the Tree Child's slash inflicts so clean a cut that the opponent suffers an additional 1d6 bleeding damage.
Flock (Su): Up to a full Flock (of 20 Tree Children) can all share the same space (a 10ft. cube) as well as share it with another larger creature. The very wind they ride carries a magic that allows them to to ride another Tree Child's Gust as though it was there own. While in a Flock the Tree Children cannot be flanked and force concentration checks on any larger creature who's space they inhabit; DC 10 or they are distracted from their action (if the action wouldn't normally require their full attention they suffer a -2 distraction penalty on any attack roles or skill checks).
Flutter (Su): The Tree Child are able to flutter on the wind and glide on even the slightest of breeze. They are treated as though are constantly under the affects of feather fall. Additionally, the Tree Child can travel with the wind and move much faster then normal, up to a rate of 50ft. However, such movement requires a Ride (wind) check DC 20; no Ride check is required if the breeze is powered by their Gust ability. If they are traveling by Flutter they are able to move before and after an attack provided their total movement that round does not exceed 50ft. They are granted Good maneuverability and a dodge bonus to their AC equal to their Wisdom bonus (if any) if their Gust is powering the breeze they are fluttering on.
Gust (Su): For 5 (discontinuous) minutes a day the Tree Child can control the air around them and can produce a gust of wind they can ride with Flutter.
Slash (Ex): The Tree Child have only one natural melee attack, a razor this slash using it's fine body to cleanly cut an opponent. All damage inflicted with the Slash attack (including accompanying bleeding damage from a successful critical) heals at half the normal rate. If the creature is not susceptible to slash type attacks or takes reduced damage from a slash attack this ability does not apply.
Spell-Like Abilities (): 3/day - Faerie Fire, Freedom of Movement, Gust of Wind, Wall of Thorns, 1/day - Summon Nature's Ally II (Air Elemental, Small only), Whirlwind. Caster level 7th. Save DC's are Charisma-based.
Vulnerability to Fire (): A Tree Child is especially vulnerable to fire and fire bases attack, taking 50% more damage from fire.

Poppatomus
2007-06-30, 10:10 PM
I like it. Not much for fey myself, but it seems like it fits a nature niche I've not seen filled before. plus the semi-swarm effect is a cool dynamic. MitP vote: yes

deadfalcon
2007-07-01, 06:27 AM
I like it, there aren't enough good feys arround, just a few suggestions, the CR seems a little high, to me they seem more like a CR4/5, and also what about weakness to fire? there are leaves afterall.

Mitp vote: yes

Lakoda
2007-07-01, 07:57 AM
That's a good idea, I'll add something like 50% more damage from fire when I get back home later. As for the CR, I used Vorpal Tribble's long method from the Guide to Homebrewing - it does feel a bit high, you're right.

Thanks guys, I was a lot more nervous about this then I thought I would be :smallbiggrin:.

~~Lakoda~~

Poppatomus
2007-07-01, 08:04 AM
Glad you got over the nerves and posted it. Looking forward you your next contribution.

BisectedBrioche
2007-07-01, 08:08 AM
Shouldn't the title read Diminutive Fey?

Apart from that; An excellent twist on an older idea. MitP: Yes

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-01, 08:31 AM
Cute, vicious lil critters these and an interesting concept.

Not sure how you got a CR 6 from my method however.

Some things though that need tweaked...

Diminutive Fay
Should be Fey.

Hit Dice 3d6-3 (8 hp)
They have a -2 Con mod, so it should be: 3d6-6 (4 hp)

Armor Class 22(26 with Gust); touch 22(26 with Gust); flat-footed 14
(+4 Size, +8 Dex)
Should be written...

Armor Class: 22 (+8 dex, +4 size), touch 22, flat-footed 14; or with gust 26 (+8 dex, +4 size, +4 gust), touch 26, flat-footed 18

Base Attack Bonus +3; Grapple -13
Fey base attack is only half their hit dice. So it should be...

Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-13

Attack Slash +15
(1/18-20/x3 plus 1d6 bleeding )
Full-Attack Slash +15 (1/18-20/x3 plus 1d6 bleeding )
Attack should be +13 (+1 base attack, +8 dex, +4 size) and it should read...

Slash +15 melee

Space 1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Diminutive creatures always have a space of 0 ft.

Saves Fort +5 Ref +16 Will +12
Fey with 3 HD should have base saves of Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +3.

Add or subtract the modifiers and these guys should have a total of...
Fort -1, Ref +11, Will +7

Feats Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse (Slash)
3 HD creatures normally only get 2 feats. Need to add a (B) to two of these to show they are bonus feats.

Challenge Rating 6
I'd say they are a CR 3 unless you give them more HP.

Spell-Like Abilities (): 3/day - Faerie Fire, Freedom of Movement, Gust of Wind, Wall of Thorns, 1/day - Summon Nature's Ally II (Air Elemental, Small only), Whirlwind; caster level 7th; save DC 15 + spell level
It should read...

Caster level 7th. Save DC's are <stat>-based.

Usually spell-like abilities are Charisma-based.

Lakoda
2007-07-01, 07:45 PM
Ok, I corrected the Fey misspelling. My wife edits for me, so I'd her fault :smallwink:.

OK, I think I got this down now, I found were the MM shows saves/BAB by hit dice. I did most of your corrections Voral Tribble, but the space thing (Diminutive creatures always have a space of 0 ft.), which according to PG 149 of the PHB (3.5) isn't true. The book says 1ft, I halved that to make more sense for a leaf.

Also, I'm not sure about the bonus feats, did I do the notation correctly?

I'm not sure how I got a 6 either, I reran your method and got 5, after I made the corrections. So, I don't think I'm doing it right. I'm just going to use 3.

Oh, and thanks for the feedback and corrections all!
~~Lakoda~~

Abjurer
2007-07-01, 08:45 PM
Yeah, one good burning hands...

I like them, though.

http://i16.tinypic.com/6g35jdu.gif The trees be attackin'!

Anxe
2007-07-04, 01:03 PM
Got so much air stuff there it should almost have a subtype. I hate fey, but Mitp: Yes

Lakoda
2007-07-05, 10:42 AM
Got so much air stuff there it should almost have a subtype. I hate fey, <snip so it doesn't look like another vote>

I considered that, but I couldn't come up with a real good reason, so it just didn't feel right. If someone can give me a good reason I'd probably do it though.

Hate is just a strong word :smallwink:

Anxe
2007-07-05, 06:29 PM
Well Dwarves are Earth flavored and they don't get a subtype. Therefore the Tree Child shouldn't get one either.

Doi
2007-07-05, 08:35 PM
MitP vote: yes

Lord Iames Osari
2007-07-30, 07:57 PM
MitP Vote: Yes. Nifty fey.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-30, 08:01 PM
MitP Vote: YES.

I love Fey; they are misused/underused in too many campaigns. This one is nice.

Matthew
2007-08-01, 05:35 PM
I think you have quite a number of Skill Points left to spend.

[6 x (6 + 2)] = 48

Balance 4(12),
Concentration 3(1)
Escape Artist 2(10)
Hide 4(12) [Not to mention the Size Bonus]
Knowledge (Nature) 4(6)
Listen 2(6)
Move Silently 4(12)
Ride (wind) 4(12)
Search 2(4)
Spot 2(4)
Survival 5(7)