PDA

View Full Version : Afb battlemaster question

Spacehamster
2016-06-27, 11:58 AM
How many superiority die were it that BM starts with and how at which levels does he get one more? :) and when do they go from d8 to d10 and so on? :)

Specter
2016-06-27, 12:39 PM
You start with 4d8 and gain another die at levels 7 and 15. These die increase at levels 10 and 18.

Spacehamster
2016-06-27, 12:41 PM
You start with 4d8 and gain another die at levels 7 and 15. These die increase at levels 10 and 18.

Cool thanks. :)

Farecry
2016-06-27, 08:05 PM
You can gain an extra one if you pick up the feat.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-27, 09:57 PM
You can gain an extra one if you pick up the feat.

Not actually worth it, even on a battlemaster.

NiklasWB
2016-06-28, 02:15 AM
Depends really, if you have already taken all the Feats you wanted (and the Fighter gets a lot of ASI) then you may as well increase the times you can deal an extra superiority die in damage + an effect and take the Martial Adept feat. Also, if you are a multiclassed Rogue this also means you can potentially get an extra Riposte with Sneak Attack on an enemies turn.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-28, 02:46 AM
Depends really, if you have already taken all the Feats you wanted (and the Fighter gets a lot of ASI) then you may as well increase the times you can deal an extra superiority die in damage + an effect and take the Martial Adept feat. Also, if you are a multiclassed Rogue this also means you can potentially get an extra Riposte with Sneak Attack on an enemies turn.

In levels 1 through 8 the Fighter gains 1 additiomal feat than other classes.

At 10th level they are tied with Rogues.

So far that is enough to bring one stat up to 20 and then a +2 (or feat).

Most games stop here. Most games do not even make it to this point.

So you are giving up 1/3rd of your feat/ASI just in* order to do what you already do 1 more time per short rest...

What a waste of a feat. For what you are giving up, the returns just aren't that good.

It isn't until level 14 that a Fighter has a whole 2 more ASI/Feats than most other classes. Most games don't reach this level and most games never will. Rating a feat highly based on potentially choosing it when you don't have anything else to take during a time in the game that will probably never happen... Well... Really that just makes me think less of the feat.

Edit

Hahaha apparently "just in" become a Ritalin on my phone if I don't out a space... Siiiigh.

X3r4ph
2016-06-28, 04:04 AM
Martial Adept is quite nice on a Monster Hunter I have found.

Lollerabe
2016-06-28, 04:39 PM
No it's not, it's a trick option related to savage attacker and if anyone says different they are wrong.

SharkForce
2016-06-28, 07:51 PM
actually, it is a heck of a lot better on a monster hunter.

instead of picking your 7th-most-favourite maneuver from a list you already had access to, you get to pick your favourites from a list you didn't have access to, but in the meanwhile you still benefit from your better superiority die and access to more superiority dice.

it may or may not be worth it for any particular character still, but it is far better on a character that uses superiority dice but not the battlemaster's list of maneuvers.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-28, 08:14 PM
actually, it is a heck of a lot better on a monster hunter.

instead of picking your 7th-most-favourite maneuver from a list you already had access to, you get to pick your favorites from a list you didn't have access to, but in the meanwhile you still benefit from your better superiority die and access to more superiority dice.

it may or may not be worth it for any particular character still, but it is far better on a character that uses superiority dice but not the battlemaster's list of maneuvers.

It is better on a Monster Hunter (or other Fighter archetypes that are like that) but I still feel that there are tons of better options for the fighter.

Farecry
2016-06-28, 11:54 PM
You don't need to cap stats, and if you dip into a battlemaster the feat has worth in getting you the extra maneuvers you wont have, if there are any.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-29, 12:01 AM
You don't need to cap stats, and if you dip into a battlemaster the feat has worth in getting you the extra maneuvers you wont have, if there are any.

No.

This feat is not worth it for battlemasters as ability scores and many other feats will give you more use. As a battle master you have plenty of maneuvers and dice already. Giving up an ASI/Feat for 1 die and 1 more maneuver just isn't worth it.

Take magic initiate before you take this. Even if you don't have high mental stats you can get more use for it (resistance, goodberry, etc).

Martial Adept is a crap stain of a feat except in perhaps very niche builds.

djreynolds
2016-06-29, 01:28 AM
No.

This feat is not worth it for battlemasters as ability scores and many other feats will give you more use. As a battle master you have plenty of maneuvers and dice already. Giving up an ASI/Feat for 1 die and 1 more maneuver just isn't worth it.

Take magic initiate before you take this. Even if you don't have high mental stats you can get more use for it (resistance, goodberry, etc).

Yes, yes. So very true

You will have so many maneuvers and you will still use the same ones. But an increase of charisma instead of martial adept makes the rally maneuver even better.

Magic initiate is awesome. Shield master, etc.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-29, 09:35 AM
Some feats I would take before Martial Adept

If using a finesse weapon I see no reason to not take Defensive Duelist.

At +3 Proficiency you essentially gave the enemy disadvantage (disadvantage is equal to, typically, -3.333). This takes your reaction, but it isn't like you have great options for that to begin with, but it also doesn't use a superiority die and can be used every round.

Not as good (base numbers) as shield until you hit +5 Prof but the fact it doesn't take a spell slot works in its favor.

Ritual Caster: You won't be as good as a caster but you will have access to a lot of awesome spells. Find Familiar for those that have Int.

Athlete: Jumping and getting up from prone is my middle name.

Alert: +5 Initiative is awesome in this system. Add the other features and this is just fantastic.

Lollerabe
2016-06-29, 10:24 AM
To be honest even if you gave me 10 ASIs martial adept wouldn't get picked, it's just that lackluster - another feat that became a half feat at our table

Vogonjeltz
2016-06-29, 07:30 PM
No.

I have to disagree. From my personal play experience, I've found the extra use of a maneuver to be far more useful than +1 to hit and +1 to damage from the +2 strength. Maneuvers can end an opponent outright from the bonus damage, prevent massive damage, or control an opponent.

Having that extra die for Parry has literally saved my characters life in games.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-29, 08:56 PM
I have to disagree. From my personal play experience, I've found the extra use of a maneuver to be far more useful than +1 to hit and +1 to damage from the +2 strength. Maneuvers can end an opponent outright from the bonus damage, prevent massive damage, or control an opponent.

Having that extra die for Parry has literally saved my characters life in games.

If you were strength focused then why were you taking Parry which is based around Dex? Parry reduces damage by (die roll - Dex). That ain't adding up. Was you at very low levels? If d8 + 3 or 4 (dex) is saving your character then maybe you should have just let that character bite the dust (I'm assuming massive damage roll or something like that is what would have taken you out as at most you would have dropped to 0 which gives you death saves).

It isn't worth a feat, no matter what, martial adept is the Fighter of feats.

I would take Defensive Duelist over Parry, at least defensive duelist can negate all damage and can be used more than once before I get tired/forget how to use it again. Gaining +2 to +6 AC on a fighter type is rocking a huge AC.

Vogonjeltz
2016-07-01, 04:20 PM
If you were strength focused then why were you taking Parry which is based around Dex? Parry reduces damage by (die roll - Dex). That ain't adding up. Was you at very low levels? If d8 + 3 or 4 (dex) is saving your character then maybe you should have just let that character bite the dust (I'm assuming massive damage roll or something like that is what would have taken you out as at most you would have dropped to 0 which gives you death saves).

It isn't worth a feat, no matter what, martial adept is the Fighter of feats.

I would take Defensive Duelist over Parry, at least defensive duelist can negate all damage and can be used more than once before I get tired/forget how to use it again. Gaining +2 to +6 AC on a fighter type is rocking a huge AC.

Because Dex was my third highest stat, which makes it effectively the second highest modifier at +2.

I also took Archery fighting style because I wanted to even out my fighting capabilities, and have a well-rounded character instead of a one-trick pony that goes down hard in the wrong circumstances.

d8+2 is 3-10 hp, which is not dissimilar from being able to heal a hit die as if taking a short rest mid-combat.

There's nothing wrong with Defensive Duelist, I just don't prefer it, especially as this character doesn't use finesse weapons (using a Maul and a Longbow instead).

The feat also gave access to two more maneuvers, which I value the added flex of having more maneuvers for those superiority dice.